The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 04-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #76
kguillou
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Directs Everything Thread - Part 1

But here's the thing, for a massive blockbuster like Justice League you NEED a director that can deliver on visual spectacle especially if someone like Darkseid is going to be involved in the story. His visuals are absolutely breathtaking, and the way he directs action is uncanny. You need a director that can handle an immense scale like that and that is 100% Snyder.

kguillou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #77
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

To be blunt, I can only see JL going three ways.
Simplistic and satisfying. (300/DoTD-MAYBE MOS)

Ambitious and divisive-(Watchmen..and MOS to an extent)

Bad :P

I guess when push comes to shove I'd want the second one for JL. Because Avengers ate Justice League's lunch in terms of creating a simplistic series of events with good character moments.

Though I think I'll be arguing about that movie with all my film buddies

Which would give it an edge over Avengers. The most people argue is whether Loki was a strong enough villain or not

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #78
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
I'm not a Snyder hater. I like a lot of his films, including MoS.

But that doesn't mean there isn't valid concerns when it comes to him and Goyer holding the keys to the DC cinematic universe.

Time will tell. I'm incredibly excited, but at the same time i'm not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend i'm 100% confident.
I'm more concerned with Goyer holding the keys than I am with Snyder. Then again, I do enjoy Snyder's visuals and the style of his movies (saw Watchmen and 300).

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #79
Rowsdower!
THIS GUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
This news of Snyder directing JL must feel like gunshot wound to the Snyder haters.

They have spent the past year non stop complaining all over the internet that Snyder is only good at visuals, that he has the mind of a 12 year old boy, that superman never kills, and that they didn't like sucker punch.

And now they're stuck with him.

Honestly, that might give me more satisfaction than the movies themselves.
LMAO

I keep checking the news to see if a bunch of Superman Returns apologists fans have jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge yet.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #80
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
I'm more concerned with Goyer holding the keys than I am with Snyder. Then again, I do enjoy Snyder's visuals and the style of his movies (saw Watchmen and 300).
Goyer is like the dude with the crush who is afraid of committing to a relationship. He keeps his love interest nearby, but is afraid to embrace her and be responsible for her.

On the other hand, Snyder is the only director I've seen accused of following the source too closely (outside of MOS, that is).

I'd gladly see what Zack'd have to offer when paired up with more respectful screenwriters than Goyer (who knows comics and has even written a few, yet seems to feel like he can't just bring it to life).

Also, this is what a Snyder/Timm collab looks like
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I'd love to see something similar with live action.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #81
Astro13Zombie
PrimeDirectiveEXTERMINATE

Quote:
This news of Snyder directing JL must feel like gunshot wound to the Snyder haters.

They have spent the past year non stop complaining all over the internet that Snyder is only good at visuals, that he has the mind of a 12 year old boy, that superman never kills, and that they didn't like sucker punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
Quiet as kept, this has been me since yesterday:

But I didn't want to rub it in. Their tears are oh so sweet nonetheless.

Astro13Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #82
Lord
All Mighty

If Zack Snyder could do some of that Golden Age imagery come to life on the big screen i would have a newfound respect for him.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #83
A.Stabelli
Man Of Steel

Snyder is the one director I can see bringing the visual aspects of the Justice League to life. It's all in the script and the writing. Which is why I hope Chris Terrio and Affleck take up the challenge of crafting the script.

A.Stabelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #84
EssayM
Just A Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
But here's the thing, for a massive blockbuster like Justice League you NEED a director that can deliver on visual spectacle especially if someone like Darkseid is going to be involved in the story. His visuals are absolutely breathtaking, and the way he directs action is uncanny. You need a director that can handle an immense scale like that and that is 100% Snyder.
Yes, but preferably you would have a director who could deliver on story and character as well. Forgetting that is how we got gems like The Lone Ranger.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #85
Rowsdower!
THIS GUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
If Zack Snyder could do some of that Golden Age imagery come to life on the big screen i would have a newfound respect for him.
Well, he did do the whole "Superman leaping" thing in MOS...

Old 04-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #86
John-An
Land of Enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I find that Snyder-haters tend to focus on what he does wrong, then look the other way when he does something right. "Watchmen is shallow"..compared to what, the book? "Man of Steel made Superman into a gritty antihero who wrecked Metropolis." I guess him saving the kids on the bus or devoting the better part of his life to helping people as a lonely drifter doesn't count. And Metropolis had the world engine unleashed upon it, and much of the fight is around the blast radius.

"DOTD isn't as deep as the original." Well, then watch the original. If remakes had the exact same obligations as originals, then all they are just big budget reshoots, rather than reinterpretations.

Zack is a flawed filmmaker who gets a disproportionate amount of hate.
Agreed with almost everything. I have to make clear a few things.
Nobody is perfect tarara Obviously he had its own isssues as any of the directors. Even Nolan is criticized by many, unfairly. But its part of his own style and Snyder's keeping his own style is what I'd call a great treat from a director.
From what I thank snyder and goyer, nolan is that they gave back Superman's balls again, making him relatable in this century. I guess that didn't go well with some people's desires of sticking to those things.

to those stupity on the "claims" on those movies. I guess when some see a real threat they always expect that the hero do everything besides to fighting to a uncontrollable force and no casualties with that big invasion. I guess someone missed the part when he saved besides all you've mentioned, Hardy, Lois (three times), the chopper guy, the family and of course all the world by first sacrificing him for the humans surrendering to Zod, and of course STOPPING THE WE. Many didn't notice also that while the destruction was happening Superman was on the other side of the world fighting for them. Another thing that really some can't understand is that in the damage of the fight we haven't seen any human casualties, cause all the events happened before and most of the buildings were empty (of course could be some but its a normal thing, we saw Zod launching Supes on the buildings to harm people. Yeah a easy thing to control right?) also when we saw Superman figthing Zod he always tried to do the less of damage and that is a Superman thing IMO). I mean when I saw these kind of ???? I'm like really did you watch the movie?

One thing I can really thank Snyder is he was made, he didn't born being the hero we fans love, and that was one of the most factual things I liked about it. And as some pal said here and some people can't get it is that this is the story where Kal/Clark is becoming SUPERMAN.

P.S. The comments are not directed to you Coco, but all the creators of that "things"

Last edited by John-An; 04-29-2014 at 08:36 PM.
John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #87
Rowsdower!
THIS GUY

Yeah, I do think that too many critics and fans just had an ax to grind with Snyder from the get-go. I think if you would have slapped another director's name on MOS, at least a few more reviews would have been positive. I can't prove this of course but I've read way too many comments online (well before this movie came out) calling Snyder a manchild and taking other shots at his abilities. And to be fair, he's has some missteps (SUCKER PUNCH). But if we're only going to judge a director by his failures then I guess Captain America: The Winter Soldier shouldn't have been given a chance because it was by the guys who did You, Me and Dupree.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #88
John-An
Land of Enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, I do think that too many critics and fans just had an ax to grind with Snyder from the get-go. I think if you would have slapped another director's name on MOS, at least a few more reviews would have been positive. But if we're only going to judge a director by his failures then I guess Captain America: The Winter Soldier shouldn't have been given a chance because it was by the guys who did You, Me and Dupree.
Totally agreed. I mean you can like or dislike the movie but another thing is to give that kind of nonsense that obviously will be taken in consideration on the quality of the review/opinion someone is posting.

Last edited by John-An; 04-29-2014 at 09:39 PM.
John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #89
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, I do think that too many critics and fans just had an ax to grind with Snyder from the get-go. I think if you would have slapped another director's name on MOS, at least a few more reviews would have been positive. I can't prove this of course but I've read way too many comments online (well before this movie came out) calling Snyder a manchild and taking other shots at his abilities. And to be fair, he's has some missteps (SUCKER PUNCH). But if we're only going to judge a director by his failures then I guess Captain America: The Winter Soldier shouldn't have been given a chance because it was by the guys who did You, Me and Dupree.
Funny enough, I think Snyder's visual skill and notoriety are what draw ATTENTION to himself in ways that most directors slide under the radar. Many people know what movies are his, while most other directors don't go noticed.

Thus, Snyder has a lower reputation than the people who directed X-men Origins Wolverine and Ghost Rider

Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #90
Rowsdower!
THIS GUY

LOL, true. And I respect Snyder for actually trying to have a distinctive style; to make his movies feel like their own thing. In contrast, I find Whedon - who has an ARMY of worshipers - to make very ordinary looking films. There's nothing wrong with that but at least in terms of visual style, they almost look like they could have been directed by any competent director.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #91
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:

heh.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:00 AM   #92
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

I wish they brought Jonah Nolan into this group

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #93
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet

the so called movie "critics" nowadays reviews movies for what it could or should have been instead of appreciating the movie for what it really is.

DFB-GER 2014 + FCB #31/10 + Scuderia Ferrari + Batman v Superman/Suicide Squad 2016

snpklsdmbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:06 AM   #94
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet

well GL was a long time ago, critics today are very different.

anyway, to me GL was just ok, everyone just joined the hate bandwagon. most people say it was bad but I think it was not that bad.

DFB-GER 2014 + FCB #31/10 + Scuderia Ferrari + Batman v Superman/Suicide Squad 2016

Old 04-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #95
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Diagrams(WU) View Post
I wish they brought Jonah Nolan into this group
yeah Jonah Nolan and i'd add Bruce Timm & co as far as writers and consultants go

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:14 AM   #96
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

**** the critics. They're just a bunch of arrogant, pretentious, bitter, cynical wannabe filmmakers who spend their lives criticising other people's hard work because they have no talent whatsoever to do it themselves.

I'm assuming.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:33 AM   #97
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Or maybe they're just people telling you whether or not they enjoyed the movie.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 AM   #98
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet

enjoying a movie is subjective, reviewing movies should ideally be objective. you can enjoy a good and bad movie, same with reviewing them.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #99
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

It was just a joke, guys.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #100
EssayM
Just A Guy

Know it was a joke, but just throwing it out there:

I don't think art criticism can ever be objective. Everyone has different tastes.