The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

View Poll Results: Which was the better phase 2 solo film?
Iron Man 3 14 7.69%
Thor: The Dark World 5 2.75%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 163 89.56%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2014, 05:28 AM   #201
Marvel_SKE
Side-Kick

Default Re: Phase 2: Which Avenger had the best solo film?

Captain America: The Winter Soldier IS the best of all 3 movies.
My vote goes to Cap, but Thor: The Dark World remains my favourite. I love both Thor & Cap but I'm more of a Thor fan than Cap, that is why...

Last edited by Marvel_SKE; 05-10-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Marvel_SKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #202
Marvel_SKE
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
While we're on the topic of Phase 2, I feel the need to say this: Overall, I thought Phase 2 was an improvement over Phase 1.

With Phase 1, most of the solo films felt like almost the same thing to me. With the exception of IM1 and TIH (the latter which I think is a bit underrated), the rest felt too similar in tone to the rest and had too many Avengers setups. Phase 2 didn't have that problem IMO. Say what you want about IM3 and TDW (and I completely agree with most of those flaws), didn't feel as Avengers-prequely to me. All three films had their own distinct feels (heck, TWS and Guardians look like total opposites but are coming out the same year) and focused on the hero's own respective side of the Marvel universe. In the case of the latter, the only exception was TWS due to SHIELD's involvement, but that made sense relative to Cap and the film's themes.

In turn, I also felt the films were improvements on a quality-basis, relative to the previous films. Despite taking issues with the Mandarin thing, I'll take Iron Man 3 over Iron Man 2 any day. The Thor films are about equal, both average, but if nothing else it at least feels more like a Thor film which gives it a slight edge over the first, going back to what I just said regarding Phase 2's tone varieties. Cap 2 is self-explanatory, and I also think it's the best MCU film so far. We don't know how Avengers 2 will turn out, but it looks closer to the classic Avengers concept as we know it (Avengers Tower, no SHIELD, team going on missions, etc.), which looks promising.

Aside from that, I like that they're taking more risks, even if they don't always work out, and that they use the television medium (Agents of SHIELD) to expand on things from the movies and, in the case of TWS, show the fallout from film events and further expanding on that story as well.

While the MCU isn't exactly perfect, it's definitely improved since the last phase . And that's saying a lot, since it was already off to a good start.
Totally agree with this!
that is why I'm so excited for Phase 2 (and even beyond Phase 3)
At the first, Iron Man 3 was a letdown but now after countless times i watched it on my cellphone or my pad (thanks for the E-Copy & Digital Copy features from BluRay) , Despite its flaws, I totally enjoyed it and loved it!

I had a very great time watching both Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: the Winter Soldier (in Japan, it was back to back release date afterall, only spans 2 months), so again despite the flaws in Thor 2, The feeling of overjoy excitement made me to not too overthink about the flaws. Just enjoy the ride, that's my mantra when watching MCU.

Marvel_SKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #203
yllum
Side-Kick

Basically I determine how good a movie is by the number ot times I can rewatch it and not get bored. I have rewatch im3 so many times and still enjoy it.

same can be said for cap : tws . I saw it 4 times in theater and love every moment.

for me has to be Cap:tws followed by im3

yllum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #204
yllum
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_SKE View Post
Totally agree with this!
that is why I'm so excited for Phase 2 (and even beyond Phase 3)
At the first, Iron Man 3 was a letdown but now after countless times i watched it on my cellphone or my pad (thanks for the E-Copy & Digital Copy features from BluRay) , Despite its flaws, I totally enjoyed it and loved it!

I had a very great time watching both Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: the Winter Soldier (in Japan, it was back to back release date afterall, only spans 2 months), so again despite the flaws in Thor 2, The feeling of overjoy excitement made me to not too overthink about the flaws. Just enjoy the ride, that's my mantra when watching MCU.
This!! Just enjoy the ride!!! Very well said. I feel that us fans should really treasure what the MCU has done so far. There really isn't a bad movie produced yet ( im2 could be the exception ) marvel studios has consistently come out with good movies. I dont know any studio with such consistency. .perhaps pixar?

yllum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #205
Flint Marko
Money never sleeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Aside from the general public, the fans constantly hate on it, even outside here, you'll see people in coment sections complaining. I think most focus on the little elements or the Mandarin twist, and forget how good the film actually is in general.
Well the general public is all that really matters since they are the overwhelming majority of the ticket sales, and they seemed to approve of it. So much so that it raked in over a billion dollars, which is obviously no small feat.
I also think the hate on the part of the fans is a bit overstated but truth be told I only frequent this website and not many others so I can't speak for certain.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #206
Matarreyes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Well the general public is all that really matters since they are the overwhelming majority of the ticket sales, and they seemed to approve of it. So much so that it raked in over a billion dollars, which is obviously no small feat. I also think the hate on the part of the fans is a bit overstated but truth be told I only frequent this website and not many others so I can't speak for certain.
Ironman/RDJ continues to be Marvel´s hottest property in the world outside of the internet. IM movies would sell mountains of tickets just by having RDJ doing snarky Stark impersonations, while Thor and Cap need to rely heavily on plot / end of the world stakes to sell their sequels. Not that IM movies do not have good plots, but notice how Thor2 was marketed as a "save the universe" thing and Cap2 was a "save the freedom of the world" thing, while IM3 trailer was all "wow, Tony´s having nightmares and his house is being attacked".

Matarreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #207
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matarreyes View Post
Ironman/RDJ continues to be Marvel´s hottest property in the world outside of the internet. IM movies would sell mountains of tickets just by having RDJ doing snarky Stark impersonations, while Thor and Cap need to rely heavily on plot / end of the world stakes to sell their sequels. Not that IM movies do not have good plots, but notice how Thor2 was marketed as a "save the universe" thing and Cap2 was a "save the freedom of the world" thing, while IM3 trailer was all "wow, Tony´s having nightmares and his house is being attacked".
I thought Thor 2 was marketed as "Loki is in it" and Cap 2 was marketed as "oooh...look at all the awesome action".

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #208
Flint Marko
Money never sleeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matarreyes View Post
I'm not sure, I think all the movies were marketed in sort of the same vein generally speaking with the only main difference being Stark's heavy presence in the IM3 trailer.
That's just Marvel being intelligent and knowing what will appeal to the masses, and they know everyone loves them some RDJ.
But you're spot on with him being Marvel's hottest property; that won't change anytime soon. I'm of the opinion that even when Downey outgrows the role and is replaced by someone younger, the franchise won't lose any momentum and the GA will still be just as interested in the character and his adventures. Granted that's all guesswork and optimism on my part, but I don't see Marvel/Disney dropping the ball on their biggest asset.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #209
Xhexania
Side-Kick

RDJ is RDJ!!! he was relatively known for his talent years ago, then for all the troubles he had with the law, after two major movie franchise, everyone knows who RDJ is and he sells tickets... now but years ago it wasn´t just his name but the appeal to watch RDJ playing a superhero no one knew much about outside those who read comics, that was the appeal for the first IM film, then IM2 held to that one. But the money makers are the characters, specially after Avengers general movie goers might had seen the first IM film and then jumped to watch Avengers as it was so massive in marketing and run for so long in theaters around the world; and IM3 benefited from that movie, since it was the movie that came the year after and everyone was still on the hype of Avengers just seen a year before.
Many who went to see IM3 expecting to see a sort of Avengers 2 movie, might have decided not to go to the other solo films... not everyone is interested in each individual superhero.
But the thing is the marketing for either Thor 2 or Cap 2, both actors are well known in US, the rest of the world knows them for the Marvel characters. But they are both young yet... give both Chrisses :P 10 more years and good steady mix of independence films plus more blockbuster and they would be known by name, rather than just their characters, like RDJ.

Last edited by Xhexania; 05-13-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Xhexania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #210
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I like that the red-band Snowpiercer trailer focused so heavily on Evans, now that Cap 2 proved how well he can draw in the right roles
Plus watching it made me really sad at the idea of him not acting so much after the Marvel films
The man's talented, and it'll be fun to see him direct, but he shouldn't stay behind the cameras too long..

BoredGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:13 AM   #211
Bert
Side-Kick

No contest: Cap 2 although I've enjoyed all phase 2 movies so far

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:25 AM   #212
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Phase 2 is The Empire Strikes Back of the Marvel cinematic universe.

Iron Man 3
Tony Stark has the mini arc reactor in his chest removed.
And he destroys all of the Iron Man Suits.
The Iron Patriot suit wasn't destroyed, but it was hacked by A.I.M.

Thor 2
Loki is imitating Odin, ruling Asgard and giving away the infinity gems.
Thor has returned to Earth to be with Jane.
Can he return to Asgard?

Captain America 2
S.H.I.E.L.D. has been destroyed.
Hydra, A.I.M. & the Ten Rings are still active.
Captain America is a soldier without an army.
Black Widow is a fugitive.
Nick Fury is somewhere in Europe.

The victories in each movie where insignificant in retrospect.
Remember Hydra's battle cry?
Cut one head off and two will replace it.

To me it looks like the bad guys are winning.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #213
TheVision
FLOATIN' ON AIR

^^ With ULTRON as the cherry on top.

"I try to make my superhero movies as if there's either never been one or there's only ever been them. I work with the idea that it's just a natural way for people to be, so that you still make a movie about people." - Joss Whedon
TheVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #214
MauriSSio
Banned User

Cap 2 was best, but it definitely won't have the same replay value as IM3. Iron Man 3 is fun. Cap2 was great but serious and exhausting.

Thor 2 was behind both but better than im1, cap 1 and Thor 1.

MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #215
ctsketch
Side-Kick

I can't wait for the cap blu ray honestly...I think it has great replay

ctsketch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #216
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Iron Man 3
CATWS

T:TDW

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #217
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
I can't wait for the cap blu ray honestly...I think it has great replay
Even after only one viewing of TWS, I can't wait to get it on blu-ray and rewatch it multiple times.

Webfoot Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #218
iambranded
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Cap, by a wide, wide, WIDE margin.

Yep......
The best story with the biggest impact in the current Marvel Movie Universe

iambranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #219
iambranded
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
i can't wait for the cap blu ray honestly...i think it has great replay

on your 6...........

iambranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #220
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Cap of course. I liked the others though they could have been a fair bit better. Hope Marvel use TWS as a quality blueprint going forward.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #221
JoCucumber
Bang Bang Chitty

TWS hands down easy... But there really isnt an MCU movie that has bad replay value, even the ones we rank low on our list are pretty re-watchable. I wasnt thrilled by IM3, or Thor:TDW at the theaters, but they've grown on me alot more with multiple viewings...

JoCucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #222
thalidomide
The Enemy

Cap > IM3 > Thor

thalidomide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #223
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Cap W:S by a country mile. Hated Iron Man 3 (not quite as much as 2 but they took all that had been built from 1&2 and flushed it all away, badly) and hated Thor : DW in relation to the first Thor, which was fantastic, again, it felt so much less than the first, all the heart & soul built from Thor extracted and left to one side and because of the studio interference, the editing of DW was horrrendous and chopped to bits, so even when the emotion and depth was there it was sucked out by the shot choices and missing footage.

In short, W:S was amazing because it was left to the film makers to be allowed to release the film they shot, not what Feige & co wanted or believed the audience should have, a major mistake that Marvel keep making, if the director is happy to have no voice or opinion and shoot the film he's told too, he or she can stay, if not, they get booted out (Wright for example).

Mandon Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #224
Cooty_Cat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
Cap W:S by a country mile. Hated Iron Man 3 (not quite as much as 2 but they took all that had been built from 1&2 and flushed it all away, badly) and hated Thor : DW in relation to the first Thor, which was fantastic, again, it felt so much less than the first, all the heart & soul built from Thor extracted and left to one side and because of the studio interference, the editing of DW was horrrendous and chopped to bits, so even when the emotion and depth was there it was sucked out by the shot choices and missing footage.

In short, W:S was amazing because it was left to the film makers to be allowed to release the film they shot, not what Feige & co wanted or believed the audience should have, a major mistake that Marvel keep making, if the director is happy to have no voice or opinion and shoot the film he's told too, he or she can stay, if not, they get booted out (Wright for example).
I know it's your opinion but there is no way to know how Marvel handles their directors. Because you liked TWS you believe Marvel left the directors alone. But because you didnt like the other movies you believe Marvel nazi'd the directors. Those are some large assumptions.

Cooty_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #225
ctsketch
Side-Kick

yeah. and in IM3 the director made the film he wanted...and you didn't like that either

ctsketch is online now   Reply With Quote