The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: ¿What did you think of the Batsuit?
Love it!! Best Batsuit so far, even if we haven't seen it in color. 157 65.97%
It's good, need to see more to jude it. 63 26.47%
Meh. 16 6.72%
Don't like it. 2 0.84%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #51
Mr. Finger
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - - - - - Part 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
I would prefer the latter, but either is fine.

My issue is that's big and it's obvious. Muscle suits are (usually) a fact of life in Superhero films, and I understand why (though Spidey looked his best without one in ASM2). That said, I've always found the most effective muscle suits to be the ones that you don't think about because they aren't screaming at you.

MOS had a really elaborate muscle suit, but it was designed to be disguised by the suit itself in a way that made it (usually) look subtle. Superman's silhouette wasn't riddled with fake muscle, but when the light hit it the right way it added just enough to make him seem super.

That was great.

This Batman suit, as I've said previously, is a very different approach--and though I understand why, it isn't the way I would have gone. They clearly wanted to build a suit that, in the right conditions, is going to look like the rippling sinew of a horrible batmonster. I commend them for doing such an exceptional job in that regard; the suit has a wonderful balance where it looks, at once, like both a creature and like a rugged, used piece of equipment.

It's a very novel and interesting approach--but I can't help it, I still find the muscle distracting.

This is essentially where I'm coming from. I don't want to be consciously aware of the muscle suit--I mean, Thor's sleeves have padding and airbrushing, but you don't usually notice it, you know? Similar deal with the Raimi Spider-Man costumes.

If this had been my movie, I would have built a sleeker, more elegant Batman--more Neal Adams/Norm Breyfogle/Jim Aparo than Frank Miller. That said, I can hardly fault the filmmakers for making what is, in effect, the perfect Frank Miller Batman.
I like this post, and you made some good points..
Though, ASM2 had a muscle suit.. And that you didn't notice it? It supports your own theory..

Speaking of Thor, and such.. I suppose that when we "know" it's armor? It may distract us less? Look less out of place?
I think back to Michael Keaton.. The difference in the size and physic was obvious, but we also knew it was armor as well..
Never minded that they bulked up Keaton with the suit. Never minded it one bit.

Which brings us to the new suit.. To which I think the path is like what they did on Keaton. I know everyone wants the real muscles underneath, to see the strength of the character even when the suit is off. The so called preparation that "Bruce" would have taken for his nights out. But, I suppose, it matters a little less for myself.. They could show hundreds of pics of Ben eating pizza and not being in the shape that we want? But all it will take is one shot within the film, taken months from now.. And then sold.. Within the context of the film.

As far as the abs? And how obvious they are? It seems that, perhaps, that it is too direct of a translation for some? I look at all of the artwork over the years, especially the work of Jim Lee.. And the abs were always so defined in the drawings. Kind of what I see in these pic of Ben in the suit?
I also think that having your chin down in a slouched over position is one of the most unflattering position for your abs.. I am curious to see what the suit looks like in color, but also when he is standing up straight.. And the midsection is not so compressed.

I think that it is some sort of armor.. Or protection that batman is wearing..
And like the Keaton suit of '89, I will not mind if Batman looks different than Bruce as far as the anatomy and size... We never got a naked shot of Keaton, and I am fine with that.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #52
RustyCage
Come what may..

^ The abs always looked silly to me in the comics too, so that doesn't really justify it here. For Superman and Spider-Man, you don't really think much of it because they're huge exaggerations of characters and they're so powerful they don't need to protect themselves. (Although, both of them were handled with a lot of tact in their most recent movies, I thought. The musculature isn't overdone.)

With Batman though? It's typically more down to Earth. They want you to feel like he's just a man who needs a suit that protects him. But even though there's a mesh underneath his clothes in the comics, he still just looks like he's a naked bodybuilder covered in grey spraypaint, and it's ridiculous.

Some artists take it easy on the definition and try for a more subtle approach, while other artists are just abstract enough that you can shrug the rippling abs off as an artsy expression of strength that isn't meant to be taken super literally or be seen as realistic (no fabric hugs THAT much).

When you adapt Batman into a live action movie, it's got to feel believable in a real life situation. I know he's still armored as a geeky fan, but it's not illustrated well visually, and the bulging muscles still come off as over the top and cheesy. His anatomy is pushing through the costume so much that it really is amazing that we don't have Bat-Nipples again.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #53
SuperInfidelX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
^ The abs always looked silly to me in the comics too, so that doesn't really justify it here.
Would your rather something like this? I'm not too crazy about the obvious fake musculature, but not sure about this either.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #54
guitarsingerguy
BK-201

I don't mind the fake muscles. They're there to make him look more imposing I guess.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #55
guitarsingerguy
BK-201

What it boils down to is that there isn't a material that exists that can show a person's musculature in that type of definition through it. The muscle suits are just a fact of life unless you want all of them to basically look like shapeless bulky versions of their comic counterparts.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #56
Rorschach2012
$

the suit looks perfectly fine as it is

Old 05-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #57
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsingerguy View Post
What it boils down to is that there isn't a material that exists that can show a person's musculature in that type of definition through it. The muscle suits are just a fact of life unless you want all of them to basically look like shapeless bulky versions of their comic counterparts.
I agree 100%.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #58
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
the suit looks perfectly fine as it is
Amen to that.

I've been waiting so long for a Batman like this to grace the silver screen.

We had a suit/suits that made "sense" for almost a decade and even longer if you take the Burton and Schumacher era into account too.

Realism aside I've wanted a suit with complete visual fidelity to the medium for years and Snyder has finally given that to me and for that I'm thankful.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #59
SuperInfidelX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yep. I guess the only argument would be to what degree they are padded and how much muscle definition.

I guess the only alternative to the muscle look would be something like the Capt. suit in the Avengers. Take that and add a few seams around the general muscle groups as a subtle way to elude to the musculature.

Anyway, I'm ready to see more of this suit. Especially how it looks with movement.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #60
guitarsingerguy
BK-201

The funny thing to me is that people were essentially given exactly what they've been asking for and they're still finding things to complain about.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #61
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
I don't think anyone has issue with the padding. That's standard for these films. It's how the padding was done that some have issues with.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 05-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #62
BatmanVSuperman
Side-Kick

Quote:
The funny thing to me is that people were essentially given exactly what they've been asking for and they're still finding things to complain about.
I see more Affleck bashing than suit complaining outside of this forum. The internet forgets his recent film work of The Town and Argo, and focus on DD that is like 12 years old or something.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #63
Mr. Finger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Amen to that.

We had a suit/suits that made "sense" for almost a decade and even longer if you take the Burton and Schumacher era into account too.

Realism aside I've wanted a suit with complete visual fidelity to the medium for years and Snyder has finally given that to me and for that I'm thankful.
Exactly... Pre-Nolan? This argument wouldn't exist ... Now that the character goes gone in to the "realism" zone?
Some want everything to be explainable..
To have some form of explanation on how, or why it is wrong in the "real" world?
I don't need/ want it to always make sense.. I have wanted it to look like the pages that I read, and turn.. And it does just that..
Can't wait to see this in action..

Old 05-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #64
TheBat812
Side-Kick

We have to see if there is context given to the musculature of the suit - I'm still of the opinion that this is batmans armor under the suit to give an imposing organic feel to his costume to better frighten thugs rather than being an overt piece of armor as done before. It's the best of both worlds in terms of what fans have been asking for for years, imo

Old 05-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #65
BatmanVSuperman
Side-Kick

Nolan's real world approach was good, but I'm glad to see a more superhero realm that this Batman can fit into.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #66
BatmanVSuperman
Side-Kick

The potential for someone like Clayface could actually happen with this Batman where Nolan would not have considered it in his universe.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #67
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Agreed. I just hope that Affleck is able to continue improving his muscle definition so there isn't such a stark contrast between the musculature of the suit and that of his natural physique.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #68
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

I know I'm gonna get some guff for asking this, but that's OK ... can someone please do a manip of the Batfleck suit with trunks? I like the suit as is, I'm just curious what it would look like.

*splat*
Old 05-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #69
SuperInfidelX
Side-Kick

I think we need to see more shots of the suit. Hopefully we get some spy shots soon. I really want to see how it looks in regular pictures.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #70
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Amen to that.

Snyder has 100% delivered! I can't believe we are actually getting THIS on screen.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 05-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #71
SuperInfidelX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
I know I'm gonna get some guff for asking this, but that's OK ... can someone please do a manip of the Batfleck suit with trunks? I like the suit as is, I'm just curious what it would look like.
Sorry, pretty crude.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #72
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
I've seen a few, but with the angle of the pic, it's really hard to see it anyways.

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Old 05-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #73
lujho
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanVSuperman View Post
I see more Affleck bashing than suit complaining outside of this forum. The internet forgets his recent film work of The Town and Argo, and focus on DD that is like 12 years old or something.
Affleck's at the bottom of the list of things wrong with DD anyway. He didn't write or direct the damn thing.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #74
BatScot
Mon the Hoops!

Quote:
Nolan's real world approach was good, but I'm glad to see a more superhero realm that this Batman can fit into.
Does anyone really think the Nolan films would have suffered significantly singly on the basis of Bale having worn something resembling the BvS batsuit? I never believed it was impossible to explain the "traditional" look even in the Nolanverse... or even that it was that hard of thing to do or needed any more reasoning than was given the nomex suit. Hell, not painting the nomex suit black would have saved you half the trouble - just slap a bat on the chest and off you go. I said at the time, and maintain to this day, that had Nolan showed us this batsuit, none but a few would have been clamoring for another black rubber suit and that the film series would have been no less successful.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #75
BatScot
Mon the Hoops!

Quote:
The potential for someone like Clayface could actually happen with this Batman where Nolan would not have considered it in his universe.
This, however, I agree with... this sort of fantastical character would not have worked in the Nolanverse; but it's a non-issue when you drop a flying ET into the mix.

Closed Thread