The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 02-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #376
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Danny Elfman Appreciation Thread

Well looks like Elfman's score to Epic lost to Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez, Christophe Beck - Frozen at this years 41st Annual Annie Awards. Though that didn't surprise me.

http://annieawards.org/nominees/#20

Elfman's Epic also lost to Joe Hisaishi's "The Wind Rises" in the Best Original Score For An Animated Feature at the IFMCA Awards. No surprise. But I am surprised Frozen lost with all the praise it was getting.

http://filmmusiccritics.org/2014/02/ifmca-winners-2013/

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #377
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Elfman's score to 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' has been nominated for 'Best Music' at this years Saturn Awards.

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #378
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Congrats to Elfman on his 14th Saturn Award Nomination. Oz TG&P is a great score and I'm glad to see it get some sort of recognition. Lets see if lightning will strike twice for Elfman since he won last year for Frankenweenie. Or seven times if you count his previous wins for Nightmare Before Christmas, Mars Attacks!, Men In Black, Sleepy Hollow and Spider-Man as well.

I thought I'd share the other nominees in the Best Music category as well in case anybody wanted know what Oz was up against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variety
Best Music:
Danny Elfman – “Oz The Great and Powerful”
Frank Ilfman – “Big Bad Wolves”
Howard Shore – “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug”
Brian Tyler – “Iron Man 3″
Brian Tyler – “Now You See Me”
John Williams – “The Book Thief”
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/gr...ms-1201120744/

Last edited by Elevator Man; 02-26-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #379
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Danny Elfman to co-compose Mike Flanagan's 'Somnia' with the Newton Brothers. The film is supposed to be a psychological supernatural thriller, which is now in post production, but the release date has yet to be announced.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/03...ia/#more-23900

Interesting...

Old 04-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #380
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Looks like LLLR will be releasing Elfman's "The Unknown Known" score next Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La La Land Records

Sweet! Now I just need to check out the film.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #381
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Listened to Sleepy Hollow last night while doing some coursework.

Man that is one creepy (but brilliant) score.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #382
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Good Will Hunting (as well as Men In Black) was the movie that finally gave Elfman some Oscar recognition back in ‘98’. It was sort of a game changer for him. Since he really didn’t get much opportunities to score films like this at the time. But GWH opened doors for Elfman in that genre ( “A Simple Plan”, “A Civil Action“, “Anywhere But Here“, “The Family Man”, etc.). This is also the score that set the bar for his more unconventional and minimalist approach to Van Sant films (such as Restless and Promised Land). The score on the recent Music Box Records release is about 30 minutes long. Most of the cues are brief like less than a minute. And a few cues are a little over a minute. Only four tracks are over 2 minutes long (“Main Title”, "Mystery Math", “Whose Fault”, and “End Title”). That’s probably b/c it shares the soundtrack with the Elliot Smith songs, which play an important role in the film if I recall. I still thought Elfman was able to tell enough with the short cues. Might be another story for other listeners. The score doesn’t necessarily carry the movie like say his scores to both of Burton’s Batman films, Black Beauty, or Edward Scissorhands did, but GWH isn’t a film that calls for as much score as those had. Elfman’s music comes in moments of conflict and resolution in the story, which is basically the right moments or moments that call for the score. It also mirrors Will Hunting’s inner demons and struggles in life. And the bond between him and his shrink played by Robin Williams.The main motif/theme performed mostly on pennywhistle brings an Irish feel to the score, which is obviously reflects the Boston attitude Will and his friends share throughout the movie. It’s mostly a pleasant score with brief moody moments in between. It brings a little more heart to this coming of age story. Recommended to those who appreciate Elfman’s more dramatic and mature side.

Last edited by Elevator Man; 04-03-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #383
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Listened to Sleepy Hollow last night while doing some coursework.

Man that is one creepy (but brilliant) score.
I think Elfman takes it even further in Red Dragon and The Wolfman, but Sleepy Hollow is one of those scores that's perfect for a stormy night/day. I love listening to Sleepy Hollow around Halloween. Along with plenty of other Elfman/Burton scores, but Sleepy Hollow, The Wolfman and Dark Shadows would make for a wonderful combination for haunted house music. Especially for something to scare away trick 'r treaters.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #384
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

A bit more info on The Unknown Known score.

Quote:
Also coming out April 8:

THE UNKNOWN KNOWN
MUSIC BY DANNY ELFMAN
LLLCD 1298
RETAIL PRICE: $15.98

Produced by Danny Elfman
Mastered by Patricia Sullivan at Bernie Grundman Mastering
Art Direction by Dan Goldwasser

Renowned Documentarian Filmmaker Errol Morris (THIN BLUE LINE) reunites with his Standard Operating Procedure composer Danny Elfman to create one of Mr. Elfman’s most hypnotic and intense scores to date. In the documentary Former United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, discusses his career in Washington D.C. from his days as a congressman in the early 1960s to planning the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

THE UNKNOWN KNOWN opens in limited release April 4, 2014

The digital version of THE UNKOWN KNOWN score will also be available via online services April 8, 2014

See y'all next Tuesday April 8, 2014 at 12 pm pst when these two incredible scores go on sale!
Good to know it won't be a limited amount or cost 19.98 to purchase either. The movie is available on demand and iTunes today so I might be able to check out the movie sooner than I thought.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #385
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

More details on The Unknown Known soundtrack...
Quote:
THE UNKOWN KNOWN LLLCD 1298
Music by Danny Elfman

STARTS SHIPPING APRIL 8th
RETAIL PRICE: $15.98

ORDER “THE UNKNOWN KNOWN” starting April 8 at 12pm PST at
www.lalalandrecords.com

This title is also available for download from online digital music retailers.

La-La Land Records presents the original motion picture score to the new, acclaimed documentary feature film THE UNKNOWN KNOWN, in theaters now, directed by renowned filmmaker Errol Morris (STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE, THE FOG OF WAR, THE THIN BLUE LINE). Morris re-teams with his STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE composer, the masterful Danny Elfman (AMERICAN HUSTLE, ALICE IN WONDERLAND, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, BATMAN), who provides a thematically rich and emotionally intense orchestral backdrop to this mesmerizing chronicle of former U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld's career in
Washington D.C.. Produced by Danny Elfman and mastered by Patricia Sullivan this release showcases another notable work from one of contemporary filmdom’s most talented and celebrated composers. Art direction is by Dan Goldwasser.

This album is also available for digital download at online digital music retailers.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Theme From Unknown 4:16
2. Two Sides 1:58
3. Marimba Foghorn 7:01
4. Rummy’s Theme 2:42
5. Himself 0:42
6. Drones 4:36
7. Ford Assassination 2:18
8. Snowflakes 2:37
9. Shakespeare 1:35
10. Smokers 2:12
11. The Haynes Memo 3:24
12. What You Know 1:46
13. Reagan 2:01
14. Absence of Evidence 2:58
15. Geneva 1:55
16. Limits 1:14
17. Dora Farms 2:50
18. Full Boil 0:57
19. Abu Ghraib 1:31
20. Detainees 1:36
21. The Resignation 0:48
22. Better to Not Go 2:10
23. Joyce 1:18
24. Main Titles 2:06
25. Unknown – Piano Solo 3:39

TOTAL DISC TIME: 60:15

Also...
Quote:
ACK! ACK! GOING OF OF PRINT ALERT: MARS ATTACKS! is going out of print 4/30. Get yours now!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #386
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

I like pretty much everything Elfman does, but The Unknown Known is his best score in a few years. Hypnotic, emotional, really different for him but he, as always, retains his musical voice. 'Two Sides' would make an Elfman compilation disc IMO.

Thought the film was terrific too.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #387
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Coincidentally I saw The Unknown Known yesterday. And thought it was a very interesting documentary. And I still need to check out Morris' SOP movie, but I liked what I heard of Elfman's score in the TUK. He takes the approach he took on SOP to the next level. Can't wait to purchase it myself.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #388
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Some details on a special offer from LLLR's own soon to be OOP Mars Attacks! album. Which is highly recommended to fans of that particular score who've never gotten around to ordering it. Now is the time.

Quote:

ACK! ACK!

Danny Elfman's MARS ATTACKS EXPANDED ARCHIVAL LIMITED EDITION score is going out of print April 30, 2014 (or until supplies last)! Only 200 copies remain of this classic sci-fi comedy score! Once it's gone -- IT'S GONE!

It's just $9.98! As an added bonus, if you order before April 21, 2014, you will get an additional 20% off your purchase! That means for ONLY $7.98 this out of this world score can be YOURS!

ACK! ACK!! ACK!!!!

Only at http://www.lalalandrecords.com/MarsAttacks.html

Old 04-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #389
Dave McFly
dead or alive.....

man I LOVED Mars Attacks

XBOXLIVE!: davemcfly85
PSN ID: davemcfly85
Dave McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #390
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Someone posted LARGE photos of the Elfman and Burton Prague Concert from March 25 on the FSM forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokutus
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

He also mentioned some Elfman news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokutus
Btw, some more news you might have heard about... but just in case you haven't...

Elfman has already completed scoring BIG EYES, the new Tim Burton movie.
He will be recording his ballet in May in Berlin. Currently there is no release scheduled but Elfman was quite optimistic there will be one soon enough.
So at least we know Elfman's completed scoring Burton's "Big Eyes" but when is the the actual movie coming out b/c I haven't heard much about the film and haven't seen any trailers. Very interesting Elfman's recording a ballet. Wonder if it's finally "Rabbit and Rouge".

Old 04-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #391
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Well I checked LLLR website on the status of Mar Attacks! this evening and found out it has sold out over there.
http://www.lalalandrecords.com/MarsAttacks.html

For those who missed it and still want a copy. Here are some links to sites that own 'em for a reasonable price at the moment.

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack...acks-expanded/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title...-3000-EDITION/

Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #392
Fudgie
Banned User

Edward Scissorhands is still my fav of his.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #393
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

There are murmurs that Elfman is indeed scoring the Alice in Wonderland sequel 'Through the Looking Glass' but there is nothing concrete on that yet.

Here's one of the Newton brothers talking about their collaboration with Elfman on 'Somnia'

BD: One of your next projects is another film with Mike Flanagan, called SOMNIA only this time, youre also teaming up with the famous composer Danny Elfman. How did that come about, and how exactly is your collaborative process going to work? (Also, that must be pretty exciting!)
AG: It is indeed very exciting. Words are not appropriate in describing it. Weve been collaborating on thematic elements lately. After weve got themes nailed down, well lean into textures and applying themes to the rest of the film.
TS: Its very exciting. Hes brilliant. Were both big fans of his. I remember listening to EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1991) in high school. It was just breathtaking. It still is. We met Danny at the Toronto International Film Festival. He came to the OCULUS premiere.

Also Elfman won three BMI Music awards for American Hustle, Epic and Mr Peabody and Sherman.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #394
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Congrats to Elfman on his 3 BMI Award wins.

If true looking forward to Elfman scoring the AIW sequel. He'd be the only reason why I'd have any interest in that movie whatsoever.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #395
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Happy 61st birthday to Danny Elfman and many more.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #396
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Happy Birthday! Love the Batman Theme & Batman Theme Reprise.

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #397
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

The Elfman/Burton concert will be returning to LA this fall...

Quote:
Following a number of sold out concerts around the world, Danny Elfman’s Music from the Films of Tim Burton will return to Los Angeles this fall. The concerts will take place at the Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE on Friday, October 31 and the Honda Center on Sunday, November 2. The program includes newly created suites from all sixteen film collaborations of Elfman and Tim Burton, including such titles as Batman, Alice in Wonderland, Edward Scissorhands, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Big Fish. Elfman himself will perform his songs from The Nightmare Before Christmas. The music will be performed by the Hollywood Studio Symphony and choir conducted by John Mauceri and the concert will be accompanied with large screen film clips, and the artwork of Tim Burton. Presale tickets will be available from 10:00am to 10:00pm on June 5, 2014 at AXS.com /Ticketmaster.com with the special code ELFMAN. Tickets will go on sale for the general public on June 6.
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/06...o-los-angeles/

Old 06-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #398
CountOrlok
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Some details on a special offer from LLLR's own soon to be OOP Mars Attacks! album. Which is highly recommended to fans of that particular score who've never gotten around to ordering it. Now is the time.
I love his score for Mars Attacks! (underrated movie too). Last great score he did, although I haven't really paid attention to his more recent work.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #399
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

So you're not a fan of Elfman's popular mainstream scores post Mars Attacks! e.g. Men In Black. Sleepy Hollow, Planet Of The Apes (2001), Spider-Man 1 and 2, Hulk, Big Fish, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Wanted, Hellboy II:The Golden Army, The Wolfman (2010), Alice In Wonderland (2010)? Check thous out if you haven't. Of his recent more mainstream output I'd recommend Frankenweenie (2012), Oz The Great & Powerful, and Epic. If you're interested in scores that aren't typical of Elfman I'd recommend Good Will Hunting, A Simple Plan, Standard Operating Procedure, Milk, The Next Three Days, Restless, Silver Linings Playbook, Promised Land, and The Unknown Known, but that is if you're interested.

Even though I rarely dislike Elfman's scores I know that's not the case for many. When it comes to his style (between fans and non fans) it usually comes down to a taste sort of thing.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #400
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
The Elfman/Burton concert will be returning to LA this fall...

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/06...o-los-angeles/
Elfman also made a point of saying 16 in a recent interview, sounds like a Big Eyes suite will be added. Would likely be our first time hearing music from it.