The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #401
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Directs Everything Thread - Part 1

Thing with Watchmen is I found the people who really loved the film tended to be people who had read the graphic novel, and as such were filling in the blanks the film left. On it's own merits though it suffers from many of the same issues other Snyder films suffer from. The opening credit sequences was great though.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #402
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Thing with Watchmen is I found the people who really loved the film tended to be people who had read the graphic novel. There's a lot of blanks I believe people were filling in in order to overcome the films shortcomings, namely pacing and character.
That might be true for some folks, but I had never read the novel before seeing Watchmen and I liked it.

I liked it because it had great action, some of the characters were pretty compelling, it had some good dialogue, the visual style was nice to look at, and the bitter sweet ending was intriguing.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #403
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Neither had I, there were elements I liked but it still came up short as a complete movie, poor pacing and character development, but in fairness overall it's not a story that's suited to a movie format, it's more a HBO series type of thing.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #404
LamboMan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thing with Watchmen is I found the people who really loved the film tended to be people who had read the graphic novel, and as such were filling in the blanks the film left. On it's own merits though it suffers from many of the same issues other Snyder films suffer from. The opening credit sequences was great though.
There's that but me and many of my friends liked Watchmen and understood it and the characters as well as we could, without having read the graphic novel or even known about it.

I think the fans of the novel also liked the fact that Zack managed to bring most of the scenes in the novel to life as they were originally drawn.

Thoughts and observations on MOS & MORE!
LamboMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #405
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamboMan View Post
There's that but me and many of my friends liked Watchmen and understood it and the characters as well as we could, without having read the graphic novel or even known about it.

I think the fans of the novel also liked the fact that Zack managed to bring most of the scenes in the novel to life as they were originally drawn.
I'm talking more people who think it one of the best superhero films of all time, that to me is the graphic novel seeping into people's consciousness filling in the gaps the movie left over. I hadn't read the graphic novel until after the movie, and there's a lot going on in there that the movie didn't have the time to delve into. It's a much richer text.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #406
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Neither had I, there were elements I liked but it still came up short as a complete movie, poor pacing and character development, but in fairness overall it's not a story that's suited to a movie format, it's more a HBO series type of thing.
I didn't find things missing, and I'd never read it before. The bigger problem to me was more that they had to resort to monologues to get thematic elements across. Felt clunky in that way.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #407
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
I didn't find things missing, and I'd never read it before. The bigger problem to me was more that they had to resort to monologues to get thematic elements across. Felt clunky in that way.
It was very clunky.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #408
LamboMan
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm talking more people who think it one of the best superhero films of all time, that to me is the graphic novel seeping into people's consciousness filling in the gaps the movie left over. I hadn't read the graphic novel until after the movie, and there's a lot going on in there that the movie didn't have the time to delve into. It's a much richer text.
I understand what you're getting at, and I'm not going to argue that point but just so ya know I'm also guilty of being one of those people who think it's one the best CBM's of all time, but i've yet to read the novel. Here's a quote of myself from the last page for proof >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamboMan View Post
I'll add myself to the list of Watchmen fans here! I love that movie and it's definitely in my top 5 CBM's. It was a brilliantly executed film with so much size and scope to it, and Zack perfectly handled a HUGE number of characters with genuine effort and seriousness in an age when most CBM's are just another cash grab and are made to appeal to the GA, dumbing the characters down and turning their movies into comedies. That's why I love directors like Zack Snyder and Peter Jackson, the kind of guys who know how to make truly awesome movies on an epic scale while staying true to the feel of the source material. Also, their movies actually justify the huge amounts of money (like 200 million $) that go into these kinds of movies.

I'm so glad that ZS is being given the reins of the DC movie universe and can't wait for BVS and JL.
And I can understand the GN must be much deeper than the film but then again any adaptation from book to film has to be edited for the sake of brevity. In that regard I fell ZS did one helluva job. In the ultimate cut, he even adds the animated 'Black freighter' sequences, taking the movie upto a runtime of 3.5 hours.

Although, since you've read the GN, please correct me if i'm wrong man!

Old 06-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #409
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I hadn't read Watchmen prior to watching it, which is the case for the vast majority of people who liked the movie.

Comic books are obscure, people don't read, and even the majority who had read Watchmen had probably read it only once many years before.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #410
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Curious, what blanks did the film leave?

InJustice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #411
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Blanks was probably the wrong word to use because there's nothing really missing per se, I can see how that can be interpreted, depth and detail is probably a more accurate and better set of words to have said. I will say this in Snyder's favour, even though it has it's problems it's probably as good an adaptation of the novel as you'll get on film, I maintain that Watchmen is far better suited to a True Detective style TV series than a film.

Edit: Just thinking about it actually now would be a pretty great time for WB to maybe consider redoing the novel as as a TV series given the amount of superhero content on small screen nowadays. In fact it would be the perfect time.

Last edited by jmc; 06-08-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #412
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

The Ultimate Cut of Watchmen (not to be confused with the director's cut) is 3 hours and 35 minutes long, 53 minutes longer than the theatrical cut, might be close to what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, hard to get in Australia.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #413
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I've heard it's better but have never had the chance to see it. I've never seen in any Australian stores either to be honest, and I'm not that keen on buying it from overseas. The one thing about Watchmen that does puzzle me is why WB green lit the project in the first place, it was only ever going to have limited appeal.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:38 AM   #414
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

The Ultimate cut of Watchmen is almost unwatchable, talk about over indulgent and heavy handed. The story was written to be read not watched, jmc is right when he says that reading the GN beforehand certainly helps people miss out the inherant problems in script and direction, it had took me a rewatch to truly realised how flawed that film truly is.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:45 AM   #415
zryson
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
The Ultimate cut of Watchmen is almost unwatchable, talk about over indulgent and heavy handed. The story was written to be read not watched, jmc is right when he says that reading the GN beforehand certainly helps people miss out the inherant problems in script and direction, it had took me a rewatch to truly realised how flawed that film truly is.
Hi Sharkboy! I agree about Watchmen: 'The Ultimate Cut.' It truly is awful. Sometimes less is more!

zryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:13 AM   #416
Maze
Proud AquaMomoa inventor

Didn't see the ultimate cut. But imo the director's cut is better than the theater version. ( Which imo is an average movie)

Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #417
Nicky
Banned User

Quote:
Please elaborate.

Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #418
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I hadn't read Watchmen prior to watching it, which is the case for the vast majority of people who liked the movie.

Comic books are obscure, people don't read, and even the majority who had read Watchmen had probably read it only once many years before.

You should man it's perhaps the greatest comic book novel.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #419
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't get the statement that WATCHMEN is somehow a good adaption but not a good movie. What, because it doesn't have the same structure as most other films, it's not a good movie? I don't get that argument. At all. That would tend to apply to the graphic novel too, if you think about it. Its precisely because it does something different that it set itself apart in the first place.

WATCHMEN may not be tops in all categories, but even with its flaws, it is simply one of the better crafted, better executed, most artistic and also deepest and most relevant superhero movies ever made. And it has one of the better ensemble casts of any superhero film, with people giving career performances in iconic roles. I think it's the best of the superhero lot, largely due to its inherent social thematics and concepts and its deconstruction/exploration of the idea of being a superhero, period.

People like it because of what's there. Not just because of the graphic novel. The actual content of the film, while not nearly as complex as the novel was, is still very, very good stuff.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #420
LamboMan
Side-Kick

^^ Seconded!

Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #421
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I don't get the statement that WATCHMEN is somehow a good adaption but not a good movie. What, because it doesn't have the same structure as most other films, it's not a good movie? I don't get that argument. At all. That would tend to apply to the graphic novel too, if you think about it. Its precisely because it does something different that it set itself apart in the first place.

WATCHMEN may not be tops in all categories, but even with its flaws, it is simply one of the better crafted, better executed, most artistic and also deepest and most relevant superhero movies ever made. And it has one of the better ensemble casts of any superhero film, with people giving career performances in iconic roles. I think it's the best of the superhero lot, largely due to its inherent social thematics and concepts and its deconstruction/exploration of the idea of being a superhero, period.

People like it because of what's there. Not just because of the graphic novel. The actual content of the film, while not nearly as complex as the novel was, is still very, very good stuff.

Spot on man. The film is is a very good representation of the novel. Zack tried shoving everything in there and it still wasn't enough.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #422
The Guard
Side-Kick

He really didn't, though. Where stuff was inserted in the film, it was done so cleverly and in context, and overall, he made very judicious cuts to the source material, or rather, the screenwriters, David Hayter, Alex Tse, and Orci and Kurtzman did, in adapting the novel.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:20 AM   #423
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Totally agree with The Guard's assessment. Snyder included WAY MORE than most directors would have, and most of the cuts he made were necessary. For example, the Bernies and the Pirate comic book stuff works in the comic, but it was unnecessary to include in the movie. And changing the squid monster to making people think it was Dr. Manhattan blowing up New York was a stroke of genius.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:30 AM   #424
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ Yeah, that ending with people thinking Manhattan did it was one of the best things about the film for me.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #425
zryson
Banned User

Quote:
Poor pacing, lack of character development seems to reoccur in Snyder's work. Its something that was singled out as lacking in Man of Steel.

zryson is offline   Reply With Quote