The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 02:59 AM   #101
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,932
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Having a check list ==>>> guaranteed disappointment.

DA_Champion is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 03:38 AM   #102
zryson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,989
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

I dont think so - most people have things they want to see in a movie. One of the biggest things I want to see is emotional depth to the characters. Its one of the reasons so many people felt the Metropolis destruction scene was overlong - because all too often what audiences got in Man of Steel was a loud, action driven CGI experience but little depth (emotional development) to the characters.

zryson is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:11 AM   #103
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave
 
Sharkboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,128
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson View Post
I dont think so - most people have things they want to see in a movie. One of the biggest things I want to see is emotional depth to the characters. Its one of the reasons so many people felt the Metropolis destruction scene was overlong - because all too often what audiences got in Man of Steel was a loud, action driven CGI experience but little depth (emotional development) to the characters.
Man of steel has faux depth, where they skirted a lot about the thematic material, but never really applied it to the characters in a natural way to make us care about any of it. Clark gets bullied! now his bully is his friend! Clark is lonely! look at him cowering in a closet! look at him frowning on a swing while the hans zimmer music plays! Look at zod trying to get his people back! look at jor el trying to reason with zod over the deterministic nature of krypton society! look at this weird cgi effect that explains the horrors of kryptonian expansionism!

If you are going to use all these great ideas, make sure your director + writer are smart enough to use it, if not...then don't! and make it a much simpler and more palatable movie! Zack Snyder and Man of Steel reminds me of those people who think they are smarter than they actually are, but their nature (in his case, loud and brash action sequences) always takes over in the end.

__________________
1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #104
Charlatan
Side-Kick
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 832
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

the hardest thing to pull off is making people care about the characters. To cringe when the chips are down and cheer when they triumph.
That's what I want out of this film

Charlatan is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:16 AM   #105
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton
 
Young Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,518
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Off Topic, do we know if BvS's Lex is going to be bald or not yet?

__________________
Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear: until my dream where dignity, honor, and justice becomes the reality we all share I'll never stop fighting. Ever - Superman
Young Superman is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #106
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger
 
Eggyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The good ol' days
Posts: 16,543
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Imagine they shave his head and hate the way he looks. Some people just don't suit it and it's hard to tell before you do it. It's all about the shape of your head and face. Personally I think he'll look okay but it's just a hunch.

Eggyman is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #107
Charlatan
Side-Kick
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 832
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
Off Topic, do we know if BvS's Lex is going to be bald or not yet?
we don't know.

also it looks like Detroit is going to be wet for the next couple of days so we may have to wait for those outdoor scenes.

Charlatan is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:25 AM   #108
Spider-Aziz
I like Nachos
 
Spider-Aziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 36,178
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

They might add a piece over his head to make it look like his head, and make his bald look better

__________________
State Your Opinion on a Marvel Character
We're abusing our acronym privileges...

"I Never Apologize."
Want to choose me as "Villain of 2014"?
Spider-Aziz is online now  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #109
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger
 
Eggyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The good ol' days
Posts: 16,543
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
They might add a piece over his head to make it look like his head, and make his bald look better
Like a... skin wig? A skwig?

Coining it.

__________________
HUMAN BEAN JUICE.
Eggyman is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #110
zryson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,989
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
Off Topic, do we know if BvS's Lex is going to be bald or not yet?
I sure hope so cause Luthor with hair just doesnt sound right.

zryson is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #111
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton
 
Young Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,518
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Agreed. Also @Charlatan thanks answering my question.

__________________
Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear: until my dream where dignity, honor, and justice becomes the reality we all share I'll never stop fighting. Ever - Superman
Young Superman is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 05:58 AM   #112
SofNascimento
Just a simple droid here.
 
SofNascimento's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

I have a question for the collective knowledge and wisdom produced by this thread: about the Superman statue, it has a different texture compared to his costume from MoS. Is that because it's working in progress or they are changing it?

__________________
.
"It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Physical barriers are no match for those we place on our own minds."
SofNascimento is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #113
Steamteck
Side-Kick
 
Steamteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 517
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Man of steel has faux depth, where they skirted a lot about the thematic material, but never really applied it to the characters in a natural way to make us care about any of it. Clark gets bullied! now his bully is his friend! Clark is lonely! look at him cowering in a closet! look at him frowning on a swing while the hans zimmer music plays! Look at zod trying to get his people back! look at jor el trying to reason with zod over the deterministic nature of krypton society! look at this weird cgi effect that explains the horrors of kryptonian expansionism!

If you are going to use all these great ideas, make sure your director + writer are smart enough to use it, if not...then don't! and make it a much simpler and more palatable movie! Zack Snyder and Man of Steel reminds me of those people who think they are smarter than they actually are, but their nature (in his case, loud and brash action sequences) always takes over in the end.

I saw a different movie than you did. Then again maybe its because I identify with Clark and am a nerd from a small town that it resonated with me.
I very strongly feel if the same critical approach were honestly taken to other films that are claimed to have depth, they wouldn't fare well.

Steamteck is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 AM   #114
zryson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,989
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
I have a question for the collective knowledge and wisdom produced by this thread: about the Superman statue, it has a different texture compared to his costume from MoS. Is that because it's working in progress or they are changing it?
Its thought its a sculpt using the new costume - so in that sense its a leak of the new costume.

zryson is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #115
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger
 
Eggyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The good ol' days
Posts: 16,543
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

I've missed that sculpt. Where and when did that happen?

Eggyman is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #116
hafizbat
Side-Kick
 
hafizbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,560
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

I find it amusing to see that some people think Superman can rebuild Metropolis rapidly because, well he's Superman. He sure could, if Metropolis was a giant lego set. But it's not. He can't just fly around and carry buildings and put it together.

Making new plans and blueprints for the buildings, gathering the materials and green signals from the City, the intricate electrical wiring inside the building, the plumbing, inspections at every damn step of the process, etc etc. There's more to building something than just putting bricks together. There's no way all of that can happen that fast.

hafizbat is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #117
scifiwolf
Side-Kick
 
scifiwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,689
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

He's not going to just hand over the specs of his Kryptonian suit so a sculptor can get the chain mail right. The statue needs to reflect texture, so it does.

__________________
Proud to be a WOLF instead of a SHEEP
scifiwolf is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #118
zryson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,989
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman View Post
I've missed that sculpt. Where and when did that happen?
Its the picture of the statue/sculpt - has green screen behind it that was plastered on different sites (here, twitter, etc).

zryson is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #119
zryson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,989
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I find it amusing to see that some people think Superman can rebuild Metropolis rapidly because, well he's Superman. He sure could, if Metropolis was a giant lego set. But it's not. He can't just fly around and carry buildings and put it together.

Making new plans and blueprints for the buildings, gathering the materials and green signals from the City, the intricate electrical wiring inside the building, the plumbing, inspections at every damn step of the process, etc etc. There's more to building something than just putting bricks together. There's no way all of that can happen that fast.
Excellent point hafizbat! Then again, they might just skim over it (much like some of the story-developments from Man of Steel.) But if they are sincere in presenting a realistic take on Superman in a modern-world, then they should address it properly.

zryson is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #120
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,620
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Hmmm interesting that they'd make a statue celebrating Superman. I thought the reaction to him would be much more mixed.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #121
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave
 
Sharkboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,128
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I find it amusing to see that some people think Superman can rebuild Metropolis rapidly because, well he's Superman. He sure could, if Metropolis was a giant lego set. But it's not. He can't just fly around and carry buildings and put it together.

Making new plans and blueprints for the buildings, gathering the materials and green signals from the City, the intricate electrical wiring inside the building, the plumbing, inspections at every damn step of the process, etc etc. There's more to building something than just putting bricks together. There's no way all of that can happen that fast.
A degree in structural mechanics of some sort... simply put, Superman can't build a city.

__________________
1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #122
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,932
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Hmmm interesting that they'd make a statue celebrating Superman. I thought the reaction to him would be much more mixed.
I assume that Lex built the statue to grandstand.

BTW we have a lot of statues in our world to things and people with mixed reactions ...

DA_Champion is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #123
hafizbat
Side-Kick
 
hafizbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,560
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
A degree in structural mechanics of some sort... simply put, Superman can't build a city.
But he can destroy one.

hafizbat is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #124
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,620
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Well he got a job at the cities top news paper without any qualifications or interest in journalism.

Maybe he wings it as a construction manager and architect too lol

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #125
The Shield
It's really Happening!
 
The Shield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,943
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I find it amusing to see that some people think Superman can rebuild Metropolis rapidly because, well he's Superman. He sure could, if Metropolis was a giant lego set. But it's not. He can't just fly around and carry buildings and put it together.

Making new plans and blueprints for the buildings, gathering the materials and green signals from the City, the intricate electrical wiring inside the building, the plumbing, inspections at every damn step of the process, etc etc. There's more to building something than just putting bricks together. There's no way all of that can happen that fast.
THIS is why people can't just enjoy movies anymore.... why is everyone so caught up on this super realism? Because they said it's set the "real world"? It's still a comic book movie about a comic book super hero with super powers.

It's just a movie. That's all it is. No one really died, no one really has to pay for damage, no one knows behind his glasses it's really Superman. It's. Just. A. Movie. Have fun with it. Just like you would... a comic book. Just let it be.

__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~John Kenneth Galbraith

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.