The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #226
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
Yep, the posts of yours I've read on this and other topics indicate we're on a similar wavelength (even if I do plan to steal your husband, lol). Btw, I try to do my best to not sound like I'm bashing the classic costume. I totally understand how special it is to many, many longtime fans. That's why I don't want to see it disappear entirely (as I mentioned, they can use it for one of her books). But I just feel WW is finally getting her chance to shine on the silver screen, and a lot is riding on BvS and JL. How WB depicts her determines if the public embraces/respects the character, or if they keep saying she's campy and cheesy, etc.

And regardless of the leaked schedule yesterday, I believe the only way WW actually gets a solo movie is if Gal impresses and stands out in the ensemble films. Otherwise, WW fans are back to square one.
That's really the only thing we differ on. I do actually hate the classic costume and want it to go away. I think it's just so archaic that WW's most common costume is a strapless swimsuit in 2014. It's definitely less offensive to me if it's drawn in a cutesy way in animation or the artist attempts to make it less skimpy like Chiang does, but it's still not good. That's not to say I have no respect for classic elements, but if they want something classic for her in comics, I'd prefer they use Marston's very early skirt designs. I think it's easy to make her look "classic" without having her so scantily clad. Of course, what she wears in this movie is more important to me than what she wears in the comics and I think there's a good chance for something better for this movie, like a battleskirt.

I'm hoping Gal is good for the sake of the character. I don't want WW to be the weak part of the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I think the concept of Wonder Woman, and her place in pop-culture history, mean that she is too big an entity to be excluded in the long run. I really don't think you could have a Justice League without her.* Compare that to characters like Hal Jordan, who is probably a busted flush after one disastrous movie.

* I know there have been many Justice Leagues that did not include Wonder Woman, but I am referring to the "default" setup.
Yeah, they need her for JL. So, we're getting two movies with her in them at least. If Gal isn't good, I could see it affecting the plans for solos though. Or perhaps they'd recast.

\S/T*

Last edited by MrsKent26; 06-13-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #227
SofNascimento
Banned User

Whatever I see people saying that the classic costume should stay because it worked so far I always think, does it? I mean, you cannot question her iconic statues in pop culture and that is widely known, yet comparer her to Superman and Batman. I like to say the DC trinity is like the Second Roman Triumvirate because you have two huge names and one that is extremely below the other two.

So it might have worked to create a symbol, but a character that people care about and like to follow? Nope. The fact she has no films is just a evidence of this.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #228
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I think the concept of Wonder Woman, and her place in pop-culture history, mean that she is too big an entity to be excluded in the long run. I really don't think you could have a Justice League without her.* Compare that to characters like Hal Jordan, who is probably a busted flush after one disastrous movie.

* I know there have been many Justice Leagues that did not include Wonder Woman, but I am referring to the "default" setup.
I actually prefer that she has nothing to do with the other JL members. I guess it's the reason why I'm preferring her solo book to both SM/WW and JL books.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #229
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
Whatever I see people saying that the classic costume should stay because it worked so far I always think, does it? I mean, you cannot question her iconic statues in pop culture and that is widely known, yet comparer her to Superman and Batman. I like to say the DC trinity is like the Second Roman Triumvirate because you have two huge names and one that is extremely below the other two.

So it might have worked to create a symbol, but a character that people care about and like to follow? Nope. The fact she has no films is just a evidence of this.
The reason she hasn't had a movie has nothing to do with that it's down to WB having no faith in female led franchises. If Disney had control of this character or Paramount or Universal who are starved of CBM characters you can be sure she would have already been on the big screen. WB are quite happy to keep all of it's characters apart from Batman and Superman on the shelf.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #230
Magic Man
Can't Touch Dis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
That's really the only thing we differ on. I do actually hate the classic costume and want it to go away. I think it's just so archaic that WW's most common costume is a strapless swimsuit in 2014. It's definitely less offensive to me if it's drawn in a cutesy way in animation or the artist attempts to make it less skimpy like Chiang does, but it's still not good. That's not to say I have no respect for classic elements, but if they want something classic for her in comics, I'd prefer they use Marston's very early skirt designs. I think it's easy to make her look "classic" without having her so scantily clad. Of course, what she wears in this movie is more important to me than what she wears in the comics and I think there's a good chance for something better for this movie, like a battleskirt.
Well, if I'm being totally honest, I don't like the bathing suit look myself. I realize you cannot pls everyone. It's just I know many WW fans who love the classic uniform and I don't want to see them totally freezed out of every medium.

Additionally, I'm amazed that DC seemingly didn't even consider a battle skirt for the nu52 book. A lot of fans hate the pants, a lot hate the swimsuit. But I seldom hear of anyone hating the battle skirt (which ironically most resembles WW's original look from the early 40s)

Old 06-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #231
SofNascimento
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye1 View Post
The reason she hasn't had a movie has nothing to do with that it's down to WB having no faith in female led franchises. If Disney had control of this character or Paramount or Universal who are starved of CBM characters you can be sure she would have already been on the big screen. WB are quite happy to keep all of it's characters apart from Batman and Superman on the shelf.
They did a Supergirl and a Catwoman film.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #232
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Well, if I'm being totally honest, I don't like the bathing suit look myself. I realize you cannot pls everyone. It's just I know many WW fans who love the classic uniform and I don't want to see them totally freezed out of every medium.

Additionally, I'm amazed that DC seemingly didn't even consider a battle skirt for the nu52 book. A lot of fans hate the pants, a lot hate the swimsuit. But I seldom hear of anyone hating the battle skirt (which ironically most resembles WW's original look from the early 40s)
I'm amazed they won't try a skirt look for any length of time either. I agree that it's a nice in-between look. I would like to see a skirt look become her default costume. Something like this one below would be nice. It's pretty much got all the updates I'd like to see (straps on a top that isn't too low-cut, skirt, no high heels), but has many classic elements. She's clearly recognizable as WW, but there's less emphasis on sex appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelis Shae View Post

\S/T*
Old 06-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #233
Magic Man
Can't Touch Dis!

Shock Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread - Part 8

Quote:
I'm amazed they won't try a skirt look for any length of time either. I agree that it's a nice in-between look. I would like to see a skirt look become her default costume. Something like this one below would be nice. It's pretty much got all the updates I'd like to see (straps on a top that isn't too low-cut, skirt, no high heels), but has many classic elements. She's clearly recognizable as WW, but there's less emphasis on sex appeal.
Even though I thought it wouldn't happen, somehow the nu52 silver motif has grown on me and you know I prefer metallic stars...but if the battle skirt pic u posted ended up being the BvS costume then I'd be very happy, indeed.

And I totally agree the top shouldn't be too low-cut. There's absolutely no reason to feature ample cleavage on a female warrior unless you're going for "sex sells." They don't do it to male superheroes and shouldn't for female either.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #234
HaplessHenchman
Goon for hire

Quote:

If that ends up being her costume, I would have no problem with it.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #235
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Even though I thought it wouldn't happen, somehow the nu52 silver motif has grown on me and you know I prefer metallic stars...but if the battle skirt pic u posted ended up being the BvS costume then I'd be very happy, indeed.

And I totally agree the top shouldn't be too low-cut. There's absolutely no reason to feature ample cleavage on a female warrior unless you're going for "sex sells." They don't do it to male superheroes and shouldn't for female either.
The details of the costume (stars, color of the metal) could definitely vary from that and I'd still like it. That's just an example of "the main idea" of what I like. Skirt, top with straps that's not low cut, etc. It doesn't have to look exactly like that.

I agree with that last part as well.

\S/T*
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #236
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

Quote:
What percentage of female led CBM to male CBM have WB made?

Old 06-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #237
SofNascimento
Banned User

Quote:
What percentage of female led CBM to male CBM have WB made?
I'm not denying a huge preference for male heroes, that can't be done. But what can't be denied either is that there was a Supergirl film and a Catwoman film too.

But of course, I'm not saying Wonder Woman didn't get a film uniquely because she uses a bathsuit as a costume. But I do believe this is a factor that add to the reason.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #238
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

As with all comic book adaptations they could have designed a more conservative costume. The battle skirt would be widely accepted by most fans. And it's not like it hasn't appeared in the comic. Even when it comes to animations WB/DC have a huge preference for two of their characters. Hell the movie which was to tell the story of Super girl did not even have her name in the title but instead had Batman and Superman. LOL. Sexism within DC and WB is enormous.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #239
Loki882
Side-Kick

It's hardly just WB/DC. Marvel, Fox, and Sony hardly have stellar track records in that regard either. It's a big problem in a lot of Hollywood studios.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #240
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Supergirl (1984)......30 years ago.
Catwoman (2004)....10 years ago.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #241
juggle
Side-Kick

Old 06-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #242
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sexism within DC and WB is enormous.
WB hedged their bets on an original big-budget sci-fi. Starring a woman. Who had probably 99% screen time across the entire film. Do you not remember it?

Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #243
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:

She's a pop culture icon that had her own tv show in live action that is fondly remembered and has been a character in animation for I am guessing longer than you've been alive.

Also... there are quite a few Marvel properties that had no live action films done for them before very recent memory. Very recent. Umm... Does that count as evidence that they are bad characters?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:58 PM   #244
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
As with all comic book adaptations they could have designed a more conservative costume. The battle skirt would be widely accepted by most fans. And it's not like it hasn't appeared in the comic. Even when it comes to animations WB/DC have a huge preference for two of their characters. Hell the movie which was to tell the story of Super girl did not even have her name in the title but instead had Batman and Superman. LOL. Sexism within DC and WB is enormous.
i don't think it's about sexism as much as it is about money. they go with what works and they keep riding that until the wheels fall off. there's a reason they've been relying so heavily on goyer, because he was part of that team that made batman uber successful again. they're too big to have more foresight then say, marvel because they already knew batman and superman work. marvel had to gamble on their prospects because they were upstarts. it's hard to shake that attitude when things work out for you the way they have for marvel. they're just different circumstances.

you see how thin lionsgate is stretching hunger games. because it works. look at cash cow spidey. rumors are they're posponing TAsM till 2017. take a guess as to why? it didn't make as much money as they thought he should.

I'm not saying there isn't sexism in hollywood, but the dollar matters more. I'd bet if wondy steals the show in BvS, they'll fast track her movie for before jl.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #245
haephestus
Side-Kick

Quote:
They did. Or at least Cliff Chiang did. This is based upon or heavily influenced by the re-designed costume he originally wanted for Wonder Woman (at least in her solo title):

http://girlslikecomics.com/wp-conten...ine-Armour.jpg

And this was his costume for a younger Princess Diana:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...a2tuo1_500.jpg

I think it's pretty clear that he originally envisaged some form of skirt and some form of armour based on Greek/Roman designs for Wonder Woman.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #246
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

i actually don't hate the pants, and i think some variety in the costumes for all of the heroes is welcomed. far as I'm concerned anyway.

Last edited by ЯɘvlveR; 06-14-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:53 AM   #247
John-An
Gal/Margot World's Finest

by Trmartin0919

Old 06-14-2014, 12:59 AM   #248
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Not gonna lie that's really cool.

:o
Old 06-14-2014, 01:09 AM   #249
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Supergirl (1984)......30 years ago.
Catwoman (2004)....10 years ago.
And Catwoman was essentially "Catwoman In Name Only."

Old 06-14-2014, 01:47 AM   #250
haephestus
Side-Kick

@ John-An

I'd definitely like to see something like that for Wonder Woman's "superhero" costume in Justice League.

Make Aquaman and/or Cyborg's costumes also sleeveless and Wonder Woman will fit right in with the other Leaguers!

Closed Thread