The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 06-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #201
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Umm... When that dude said "most people" found fault with the ending /3rd act of Batman Begins.
Said faults are well documented online across message boards and written critical reviews. I'm just the messenger.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #202
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
Said faults are well documented online across message boards and written critical reviews. I'm just the messenger.
Ever heard the term "vocal minority"?

Old 06-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #203
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcQueen View Post
Ever heard the term "vocal minority"?
Sure, though I don't think it applies. But that's neither here no there. I've derailed the thread long enough.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #204
Magic Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Until I actually see the film or read reviews and see trailers, I am of the mind that we aren't going to get much in the way of "origin" for Diana in BvS or JL, so by default a solo film with her is needed to flesh her out more, especially if WB is looking at her as a character to exploit for a multi film franchise of her own.
I'm fine with WW's origin being somewhat mysterious in the ensemble films. But I really, really, hope she gets a proper origin told in her first solo. I suppose it could be told in flashbacks like MOS did...but SM's origin has been told multiple times on big and small screen. Not so for WW. I just wanna see fierce aerial combat with Steve and other enemy fighter pilots...Steve crashing on island and the Contest, WW returning him to man's world, etc. Could be epic, especially if they include Doom's Doorway and Ares escaping, lots of mythology and monsters.

Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #205
Magic Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
So after a conversation in the costume thread, it was pointed out that her costume could represent the banner of Themyscira instead of the American flag.

Here's an idea for Themyscira's flag:

Red = outside world
Yellow = divine protection from the gods
Blue = the ocean
White Stars = the main island of Themyscira and tiny surrounding islands.
Great creation. I've long hoped DC would create an Amazon flag. One suggestion: I wonder if the Amazons might believe in astrology? If so, perhaps the stars could be arranged to represent a certain star constellation?

Old 06-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #206
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
Great creation. I've long hoped DC would create an Amazon flag. One suggestion: I wonder if the Amazons might believe in astrology? If so, perhaps the stars could be arranged to represent a certain star constellation?
Something like that could work too. Constellations are tied to Greek mythology after all.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #207
Magic Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Something like that could work too. Constellations are tied to Greek mythology after all.
Yeah, exactly. Greek mythos, mystical star stuff. I'm not an expert on astrology/zodiac but I googled a little bit and found this: "Aquila is a constellation in the northern sky. Its name is Latin for 'Eagle' and it represents the bird who carried Zeus/Jupiter's thunderbolts in Greco-Roman mythology."

Since the Aquila constellation is associated with Eagles and Zeus (since he's Diana's father in nu52) then maybe that'd work.

Or perhaps Andromeda, "the Ethiopian princess daughter of Cepheus, was placed as a constellation among the stars by the favor of ATHENA on account of the courage of Perseus, who saved her."

Old 06-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #208
Steelsheen
Iconic

Quote:
That's not entirely true. The market speaks. The more people pay to watch a movie, the industry will create similar movies to meet those demands. So, we do influence what kind of movies get made. Not all filmmakers have a deaf ear either. Snyder and Goyer both responded to criticisms against MOS and fans have influenced movies before.

Not all discussions boil down to taste. Anytime someone brings up consensus ratings or sales they're speaking on behalf of the GA. You can argue the merits of something without resorting to taste.
#THIS

i think sensible filmmakers have learned to differentiate the kind of fan feedback they will consider versus those "h8ters" who just bellyache about everything that isnt a carbon copy of the comics. but the real problem is the idiot studio heads who couldnt tell them apart; they usually look at the noisiest (and often most ignorant) lot and then put pressure on the filmmakers to tweak things. thats when disaster happens that culminates in poor box office returns.

i've been around long enough to know that SENSIBLE fan feedback DOES WORK, and the results can be seen onscreen. but this is also a call to all the other sensible fanboys/girls-- we have to police our own ranks too. our rather myopic fandom brothers and sisters needs to be educated in the reality of telling a story through film.

M A D N E S S
IS LIKE GRAVITY
ALL IT TAKES
IS A LITTLE
PUSH

Join the newest Maze Runner Community built by Gladers for Gladers! http://themazerunner.net/forums

Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen | MazeRunner @DashnerGeek | Divergent @SteeleDivergent

Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #209
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Actually none of us knows what Goyer's original script or Snyder and his team have in store as a "response" to criticism, real or imagined, or if they will change any thing at all because of "the fans".

And as I like to point out... Snyder was known as "the slo mo guy that uses fantasy, over the top production design". Was the speed, visceral action, pacing/editing, and color palette/grounded look a reaction to what was said about his perceived style? Be careful fans, of what you wish for... Snyder might actually give it to us.

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #210
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Sensation Comics #1 cover process by Gene Ha

Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #211
TheNextNolan22
Dangerously

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #212
vantheman77
Side-Kick

Wonder Woman is getting some buzz with Lynda Carter's birthday, David Finch and his wife taking over the comics series from Azzarello and Chiang, first pic of Gal Gadot as WW, and the live-action trinity.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #213
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Personally, I don't think Wonder Woman needs an origin story, but it's not as if I wouldn't watch one.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #214
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Superman doesnt need an origin story. Batman don't need an origin story. Wonder Woman....she needs an origin story, even if it is 30mins of the movie. Everyone knows Supes/Bats stories, not that many people know WWs.

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 AM   #215
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Wonder Woman's mythos definitely needs to be out there more. Her origin, whichever one is chosen, needs to be established in the wider audience's mind. I'm much more in the corner of her more classic molded from clay origin over the child of Zeus current in comics angle. Either way, most people know she's an Amazon Princess with super strength that has a neat trick with bullets and bracelets, has a lasso that makes people tell the truth and she's got an invisible stealth jet. She needs to be better defined and origin stories help with that.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #216
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Wonder Woman's mythos definitely needs to be out there more. Her origin, whichever one is chosen, needs to be established in the wider audience's mind. I'm much more in the corner of her more classic molded from clay origin over the child of Zeus current in comics angle. Either way, most people know she's an Amazon Princess with super strength that has a neat trick with bullets and bracelets, has a lasso that makes people tell the truth and she's got an invisible stealth jet. She needs to be better defined and origin stories help with that.
i like that they mixed the molded from clay origin with the Zeus origin.

for those that don't know, Hippolyta kept Diana's divine heritage a secret by telling her that she was molded from clay

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #217
vantheman77
Side-Kick

If they are going to show WW's origin, it should be saved for her solo film than either Batman v Superman or Justice League.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #218
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
i like that they mixed the molded from clay origin with the Zeus origin.

for those that don't know, Hippolyta kept Diana's divine heritage a secret by telling her that she was molded from clay
Which, honestly, works better for me.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #219
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Which ever version, the character needs to the bullet points of her mythos out there, what her ''franchise" is as hero has to be known.

I still think a solo animated series would be a big help.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #220
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Back in the day we would be getting one if she got her own movie but times have changed sadly.

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 AM   #221
anonomissx
Testy chick from Vegas

What if...instead, she really was molded from clay? And was only "active" when the world of man was in trouble and needed a Wonder Woman. She then returns to Themyscira Island...and eventually, to the statue of clay. Hippolyta's greatest tragedy is that her most beloved daughter is only with her for brief periods of time, and then only has that statue of clay most of the time on Paradise Island.

anonomissx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:07 AM   #222
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by KRYPTON INC.; 07-28-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 AM   #223
Raelis Shae
Wayside Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonomissx View Post
What if...instead, she really was molded from clay? And was only "active" when the world of man was in trouble and needed a Wonder Woman. She then returns to Themyscira Island...and eventually, to the statue of clay. Hippolyta's greatest tragedy is that her most beloved daughter is only with her for brief periods of time, and then only has that statue of clay most of the time on Paradise Island.
No. I don't want a WW 'Mannequin' movie (yes, I am that old!). I want Diana to be fully engaged with her Amazon sisters, her family, and man's world. Part of Diana's appeal is the way she interacts with everyone, given her background.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 AM   #224
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 AM   #225
haephestus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Which ever version, the character needs to the bullet points of her mythos out there, what her ''franchise" is as hero has to be known.
I think it's still possible to get that in DoJ, although whether we will remains to be seen.

IF Gal Gadot is playing Princess Diana, Ambassador of Themyscira then they could easily include a press conference or one-on-one interview scene with Lois Lane where the "basics" of her origins are explained, including "rumours" about her "true" reasons for coming to man's world, divine parentage, "super" abilities and a certain Steve Trevor (although that last question should come from Cat Grant, not Lois Lane).

It's probably not the best way to establish her origins and it's certainly not the most elegant way since it would basically amount to one long scene of exposition (although it would also nicely introduce a connection between Lois Lane and Princess Diana), but it could be short, sharp and effective.

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote