The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #426
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro
 
Spidey_62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,676
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

I was a lurker as far back as 2002 here, and it was indeed a different time and attitude all around. I don't remember seeing that disapproving sentiment toward these films start to really become the thing until shortly post SM3's release started to sink in and more and more after the cancellation.

__________________
"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

INFINITE WONDERS- read it!
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #427
henzINNIT
Side-Kick
 
henzINNIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,877
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Many people online have an "out with the old" mentality. I swear 99% of people loved Raimi's first two films before the reboot.

__________________
henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #428
GremlinZilla89
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,415
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

I'm not saying that mentality doesn't exist to an extent, but you guys are REALLY overselling it.

If the trend is so large why isn't the Webb series more beloved? It's not hated, but it hasn't be embraced with open arms either.I still see PLENTY of people claiming the first series is superior. I'm sure if you were to poll people the Raimi films would come on top still by a good margin. The Raimi lovers are still in the majority.
Not everybody who likes the Webb films better just decided to ditch Raimi because they're older. That's generalizing to an insane degree.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #429
henzINNIT
Side-Kick
 
henzINNIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,877
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
I'm not saying that mentality doesn't exist to an extent, but you guys are REALLY overselling it.

If the trend is so large why isn't the Webb series more beloved? It's not hated, but it hasn't be embraced with open arms either.I still see PLENTY of people claiming the first series is superior. I'm sure if you were to poll people the Raimi films would come on top still by a good margin. The Raimi lovers are still in the majority.
Not everybody who likes the Webb films better just decided to ditch Raimi because they're older. That's generalizing to an insane degree.
Didn't say anything about the amount of people. It seems fairly well split between "camps".

__________________
henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #430
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the neighborhood!
Posts: 39,203
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
I was a lurker as far back as 2002 here, and it was indeed a different time and attitude all around. I don't remember seeing that disapproving sentiment toward these films start to really become the thing until shortly post SM3's release started to sink in and more and more after the cancellation.


It was a much different experience as a Spidey forums poster in regard to the Raimi films pre-SM3. Once SM3 hit, it was definitely devisive. Over time, that ballooned to they all sucked for a fair amount of people.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #431
spiderral
Side-Kick
 
spiderral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: England
Posts: 797
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

I watched through all four Spidey films again last summer and SM1 stood out as my favourite.
I feel like I need to watch SM2 again though to try and pick out what exactly I'm missing; I've never really thought of it as being the best out of the Raimi trilogy and I'm getting vibes that people are just jumping on the "Spider-Man 2 is the best CBM bandwagon" without acknowledging that there are better CBMs out there.
It's not that there was anything wrong with the film or that it was bad, just overrated IMO.

__________________
"You wanna know what I love about being Spider-Man? Everything."

TOP 5 CBMs
Batman Begins // CA: The Winter Soldier // Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (this counts) // Spider-Man // X-Men: DOFP
~*SHH SIX*~

spiderral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #432
Venus
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 87
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Definitely. My least fave of the trilogy.

Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #433
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 11,758
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Spider-Man 2 is still the best Spider-Man movie ever made, hands down. Not overrated at all.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #434
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,104
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

I have disliked SM2 since its first release, Toby just wasn't Peter Parker for me, the unmasking stuff drove me nuts and MJ was a man eater we was meant to root for and the plot of him losing his powers because... Confidence issues was a weak and not very interesting plot device

I think if it was released now it wouldn't be seen as the as highly, I think it came out In a time when no one knew the levels comic book movies could go in terms of action and look and they came out impressed and overall chose to ignore the obvious flaws and that has become a huge nostalgia for many, and nostalgia is a powerful thing

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 06-06-2014 at 02:32 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #435
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 11,758
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

MJ is definitely the weak spot in the film. But Peter's arc is great, I think. There's just the right balance of humor. Molina's Doc Ock is still one of the best onscreen comic book villains to date, IMO. The action scenes are great, particularly the train sequence, which is a lot of fun.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #436
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,990
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I have disliked SM2 since its first release, Toby just wasn't Peter Parker for me, the unmasking stuff drove me nuts and MJ was a man eater we was meant to root for and the plot of him losing his powers because... Confidence issues was a weak and not very interesting plot device
MJ had one boyfriend in Spider-Man 2. How does that make her a man eater? You'd be more just to call her that in Spider-Man 1 since she went from Flash, to Harry, to snogging Spider-Man, to trying to get with Peter all in one movie.

Second, confidence issues were not Peter's problem. It was emotional issues. Guilt, grief etc from the harsh effects being Spider-Man has had on his life. It's taken straight from the comic books. It's pure Spider-Man.

Quote:
I think if it was released now it wouldn't be seen as the as highly, I think it came out In a time when no one knew the levels comic book movies could go in terms of action and look and they came out impressed and overall chose to ignore the obvious flaws and that has become a huge nostalgia for many, and nostalgia is a powerful thing
This is such a weak argument. You're basically accusing everyone of having nostalgia goggles instead of judging a movie for what it is. It's like saying The Godfather or Star Wars are not worthy of their reputation because they came out at a time when gangster and Sci Fi movies were not as common as they are today.

The fact that Spider-Man 2 has retained it's high status after 10 years proves it's got the legs to stand on it's own two feet, in spite of the many other great comic book movies that have come out since. It's got staying power. And only the best keep their heads above water in the face of so much competition. Nostalgia's got nothing to do with it.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 06-06-2014 at 02:55 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #437
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,980
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Definitely. My least fave of the trilogy.
Looks like we agree here too.

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.

We are T. H. E. M.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #438
GoodYoung
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 284
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Yes, it's overrated as hell. My least favorite Spider-Man movie.

GoodYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #439
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick
 
lukebrodyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 659
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Nope.

My favorite Spider-man movie.

lukebrodyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #440
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,304
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebrodyg View Post
Nope.

My favorite Spider-man movie.
It is one of the very best comic based films of all. Back in the day, seeing it for the first time, it was a revelation for me. It's hard to explain, but it really humanised the iconic image the public is accustomed to. The guy who can do anything is as messed up as you or me. It's one thing to read about it, but to see it, was something else. You really felt the burden of being a superhero in this one, and the balance required.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #441
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 6,556
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

I liked it when it came out, but didn't love it. I was shocked when I learned that this was so widely regarded.

DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #442
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick
 
lukebrodyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 659
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
It is one of the very best comic based films of all. Back in the day, seeing it for the first time, it was a revelation for me. It's hard to explain, but it really humanised the iconic image the public is accustomed to. The guy who can do anything is as messed up as you or me. It's one thing to read about it, but to see it, was something else. You really felt the burden of being a superhero in this one, and the balance required.
I agree. There's so much that resonates when it comes to SM2. And while the direction, writing, acting and FX make this film so great, I think Tobey is what makes the movie for me. He's a complete dork at times, unsure of himself, confident at times, etc. and to me THAT'S Peter Parker.

Sadly that key element has been missing in the new films with Andrew IMO (along with most of the things I listed above).

lukebrodyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #443
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,304
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebrodyg View Post
I agree. There's so much that resonates when it comes to SM2. And while the direction, writing, acting and FX make this film so great, I think Tobey is what makes the movie for me. He's a complete dork at times, unsure of himself, confident at times, etc. and to me THAT'S Peter Parker.

Sadly that key element has been missing in the new films with Andrew IMO (along with most of the things I listed above).
I don't mind Garfield, but Tobey is my favourite Peter also. Always will be.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #444
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,789
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

I actually prefer the first Spider-Man.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #445
TeeKay
Side-Kick
 
TeeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,197
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

One of the greatest superhero movies ever made for sure. Up there with TDK, DOFP and CA: TWS for me.

__________________
"I'm going to show you something beautiful, everyone screaming for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings...Strings...There are no strings on me"- Ultron

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:03 AM   #446
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"
 
Lantern Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: With YOUR MOM
Posts: 6,698
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Sorry, SM 2 is not only the best in the Raimi triliogy, but it's the high point of Raimi's career. To take the oft-bland, cheesy-looking Dork Ock and re-invent him as a viable, frightening live-action threat is an achievement. Give credit to Molina for completely immersing himself in the character as well.

Also, end scene were Mary Jane comes to Peter's apartment makes me a little misty-eyed every time. That was a master stroke.

__________________
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
1994-2014: Twenty Years of the Torch-Bearer.
You went full Topher, man. NEVER go full Topher.
Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:39 AM   #447
Raphi
The Great Exterminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 78
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

SM2 is pretty damn close to being a masterpiece. I still prefer the first movie, though.

Raphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #448
bapi
Side-Kick
 
bapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,804
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Both SM1 and SM2 are 10/10 movies for me.

__________________
Manchester City, Werder Bremen, Chicago Bulls, New Jersey Devils and Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 supporter

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
bapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #449
W/ Great Power
Uncle Ben
 
W/ Great Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,408
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

If SM2 is overrated, then I don't know what to say about a lot of CBM's that have come out since then.

__________________
"He believed that if you could do good things for other people, you had a moral obligation to do those things."

- Uncle Ben, The Amazing Spider-Man


~*SHH SIX*~
LEADER
W/ Great Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #450
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro
 
Spidey_62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,676
Default Re: Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/ Great Power View Post
If SM2 is overrated, then I don't know what to say about a lot of CBM's that have come out since then.
Yeah, I feel like a lot of them are showered with pretty universal praise these days. Just this year Cap, X-Men, Guardians I can think of off the top of my head that got a lot of people buzzing. Probably most specifically Cap and Guardians as far as popularity goes.

I think what makes SM2 so great is that it's a really different kind of superhero movie than the rest of those. It's really methodical in building up these things in Peter's life and it focuses very much on those things.

__________________
"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

INFINITE WONDERS- read it!
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.