The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #101
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Timeline(s) in Apocalypse

I don't see a problem with them being able to make the ages late teens for all of them. There is no definitive year for any of the movies in the original trilogy, so in that sense the relation from them to the flashback where Erik and Charles meet Jean doesn't matter when there is no exact date for the original trilogy.

The appearance of anyone in Xavier's first use of Cerebro in First Class can be written off. Within the movie, there are no names ever given to those random people he sees. The timeline should only focus on what is said within the movie and nothing else.

Hamill-Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #102
dax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamill-Joker View Post
Here is what we know based on information provided only in the movies:

1962 X-Men: First Class

- Cuban Missle Crisis took place in 1962

1973 X-Men: Days of Future Past

- Paris Peace Accords take place in January of 1973 and the year is stated directly in the movie.

1973 to 1979 X-Men Origins: Wolverine

- The Three Mile Island incident took place in 1979, and the events at the beginning of the movie takes place 6 years prior to the end. In Days of Future Past, Wolverine wakes up in a situation where he has angered whomever he is working for. So in the original timeline it is assumed he is out of a job and heads back into the military in 1973 and likely meets up with Stryker later in the year.

2023 X-Men: Days of Future Past

- Stated to have happened 50 years after 1973

X1 to X2 a few weeks or months have passed, possibly the same year.
X2 to x3 There is a new president, which means it would have to correspond with election timelines.

X3 flashback is 20 years ago

The post-credits scene in The Wolverine takes place 2 years after events in the movie.

One problem with X-Men Origins: Wolverine being set in 1973 is that Wolverine wasn't in Vietnam during that year as we are shown in DOFP. He was in New York sexing with his mob boss's daughter and he hasn't met William Stryker yet which means that the Vietnam war scene in Origins took place in 1975. Judging the way Wolverine is interacting with the other Team X members, a couple years had passed since he met Stryker in prison which puts the movie in 1979. With the 6 year time jump, the rest of the film is set in 1985.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamill-Joker
The issue with the World Trade Center is whether or not recent events around the time of the movie were impacted by mutants coming to more prominence. But to go with your assumption, let's say that X-Men takes place around 2000.

That puts X2 later in 2000 or possible early 2001, and then X3 would be in 2004 because of the newly elected president going based on the idea that it wasn't a special election or the previous president didn't resign or get impeached.

At that point, getting from X3 to The Wolverine to the future portion of DOFP is just a matter of connecting the dots. The ten year thing sounds good between The Wolverine post-credit scene and DOFP, so we'll go with 2013 in the post-credit scene. That would put a gap between X3 and The Wolverine at 6 to 7 years.

The X3 flashback to the 80s is the thing that screws over the entire timeline. But again, this is assuming that the flashback is meant to be before events in X3 and not prior to the entire trilogy. It is possible that the flashback was meant to be prior to events in the entire trilogy, which if X-Men takes place in 2000, then Magneto and Xavier would meet Jean Grey in 1980.

My assumption is the oldest Jean can be in the flashback is 14. So going based on that assumption, she could be 17 in 1983.
I'll go with X2 being set in early 2001 and I may have goofed on the time gap between X2 and X3. There were 2 different presidents in both films and the presidential run last for 4 years. Plus, someone mentioned that the Chris Clairemont novelization for X3 states that the "20 years ago" scene was set in 1985 and the "10 years ago" scene was in 1995 so that puts the events of X3 in 2005.

dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #103
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

I'm just going with what is actually in the movies rather than any external sources, including novelizations and even movie commentary tracks. Because if you choose to follow external sources, then the things just get too far out of control for continuity which would include two Bolivar Trasks and Emma Frosts.

If you just go with what is presented solely within the movies, issues like those aren't really an issue.

The flashback can be reasonably retconned to 1980, allowing for a Jean in her late teens in Apocalypse.

Hamill-Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #104
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

New timeline isnt a retcon but modification.

Original timeline:
-Fisrt Class
-Pre-trilogy : Magneto managed to escape from prison, Mystique managed to escape from experiments, Xavier lived sadly but will overcome and become a great professor. all events lead to X1
-X-men Origins
-X1, X2, X3
-Post-trilogy : Sentinels are launched. 2008 : Warren gets killed, 2015: Beast gets killed
-Wolverine
-DOFP, chaotic 2023

New timeline :
-First Class(unchanged)
-DOFP 1973
-Apocalypse and future next x-men movies
-DOFP altered 2023

This doesnt modify date of birth of characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax View Post
I don't see how X1 can be set in 2005 when the World Trade Center was featured in the movie. Plus, it will be 1 year before the 9/11 attacks destroyed those twin towers which puts the movie's timeline around the year 2000 and the gap between X1 and X2 is very short so X2 is set 3-4 months later. Both movies mentioned that Wolverine has had amnesia for 15 years while the flashback scene in X3 says it was 20 years ago which means that the entire X-men trilogy took place in 2000.
Yes I did think original trilogy could set in 2000/2001 instead of 2005/2006 but dont forget Colossus was born in 1986. In X3 he doesnt look to be 14yo;

CyclopsSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #105
pavlov
Side-Kick

I hope that DOFP's happy ending turns out to be a hallucination of the drowning Logan. That way there is no pressure to have things end that way.

pavlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #106
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
I hope that DOFP's happy ending turns out to be a hallucination of the drowning Logan. That way there is no pressure to have things end that way.
They wouldn't get away with saying its a hallucination now, so probably not

Old 07-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #107
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

Drowning Logan would also not know who any of those people are

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #108
pavlov
Side-Kick

I want future logan's consciousness to be stuck in the past

pavlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #109
dax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsSummers View Post
New timeline isnt a retcon but modification.

Original timeline:
-Fisrt Class
-Pre-trilogy : Magneto managed to escape from prison, Mystique managed to escape from experiments, Xavier lived sadly but will overcome and become a great professor. all events lead to X1
-X-men Origins
-X1, X2, X3
-Post-trilogy : Sentinels are launched. 2008 : Warren gets killed, 2015: Beast gets killed
-Wolverine
-DOFP, chaotic 2023

New timeline :
-First Class(unchanged)
-DOFP 1973
-Apocalypse and future next x-men movies
-DOFP altered 2023

This doesnt modify date of birth of characters
The opening scenes of X-men Origins and The Wolverine should be included in the new timeline. Both took place before 1973, although the Vietnam war scene in Origins is a tricky one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsSummers
Yes I did think original trilogy could set in 2000/2001 instead of 2005/2006 but dont forget Colossus was born in 1986. In X3 he doesnt look to be 14yo;
Well, most 14 year olds don't actually look their age.

dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #110
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

when was it said in any of the movies what year Colossus was born?

an as someone whose often told I don't look my age, I never understood that saying, isn't it all subjective, just cause someone else looks different at their age then you do... who's to say what your suppose to look like at a certain age, everyone matures an ages at their own rate

maybe I don't look young for my age, maybe everyone else looks old for their age lol

Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 07-15-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #111
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

It never was said. All we have is baby Colossus in a photo in the promotion of DoFP.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #112
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

should we count virtual companion an promo pics, as continuous?

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #113
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamill-Joker View Post
I'm just going with what is actually in the movies rather than any external sources, including novelizations and even movie commentary tracks. Because if you choose to follow external sources, then the things just get too far out of control for continuity which would include two Bolivar Trasks and Emma Frosts.

If you just go with what is presented solely within the movies, issues like those aren't really an issue.

The flashback can be reasonably retconned to 1980, allowing for a Jean in her late teens in Apocalypse.
Agreed

I also go by names given. if they weren't called by name or listed by name in the credits then they weren't officially those characters

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 AM   #114
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
should we count virtual companion an promo pics, as continuous?
Not really but if you want to, sure. Though I'm pretty sure X-Men: The Official Game and the novelizations are not canon.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 AM   #115
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
when was it said in any of the movies what year Colossus born?
25moments

CyclopsSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #116
Nokio
Side-Kick

It appears FOX and Singer is trying to reboot al Trek, but that doesn't work cause the timeline or time period to be more exact just seems way off. I mean Sentinals in the 70's? The Tech was available back then for them to build Sentinals with mutant detection capabilities??

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #117
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Yes, it was.

Reminder, the Sentinels of the comics were invented in the 60's; this is fantasy sci-fi, they can easily make a new tech that can detect those with mutant powers.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:03 AM   #118
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

So, by the best information we have the movie is set in 1983, 10 years after DofP. So what were our favorite mutants doing between 1973 and 1983. "Wallowing" and "in prison" are pretty much out of the question at this point, but don't necessarily need to be the only option.

Xavier in 1974 should by all means be trying to restart his school. If Scott Summers is 16 in 1983, he was under 10 in the mid-70s. Meaning he can be Xavier's first student before the events of this film. That's why I postulate (other than maybe some possible flashbacks) Scott/Ororo/Jean will already be Xavier's students in X:A.

Scott was in high school during the events of Origins: Wolverine. Canon or not, it still makes sense that he was Xavier's first student in that, just ten years later than in the new timeline. The Weapon X program could have easily been the catalyst that spurred Xavier out of his funk in the early 80s (his lack of wheelchair either an illusion or lingering effects of the drugs).

So 10 additional years of training for the core X-Men? Anyone else excited to see a more thoroughly trained, battle-ready, cooperative team?

Erik on the other hand, was given many more years of freedom by Wolverine's visit. I bet he's the one who has a hand in Apocalypse's awakening. Either intentionally or inadvertently.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #119
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Isn't the idea gonna be that wolverine time traveling is what woke up apocalypse? I swear that was mentioned somewhere

Wasn't it the same idea with cable in the comics? I might be wrong

Old 11-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #120
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The fallout of the time traveling mission In DOFP Is what will likely wake up Apocalypse.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #121
kasjan
Side-Kick

@pr0xyt0xin
Scott under 10 didn't even have his power.
And nobody smart would train kid under 10.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #122
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Isn't the idea gonna be that wolverine time traveling is what woke up apocalypse? I swear that was mentioned somewhere

Wasn't it the same idea with cable in the comics? I might be wrong
I believe that was part of our discussion on one of my thread.

I do feel that it is important to think on what each faction has likely been doing these past 10 years.

For example, we know that Xavier should have been preparing his school and trying to find them and bring them to Xavier's. In many ways I wish we never saw Xavier seeing all of those mutants using Cerebro back in 1963. It should have just been a couple here and there, showing that mutants are just starting to pop up (like in the comics).

But, let's say between 1974 and 1983 he (and Beast) have fixed up Xavier's, installed the Danger Room, invented some stuff, become accredited as a school, and found at least a couple of these mutants. It does make sense that at least some of the mutants would already be at the school. IMO, at least Scott and Jean, and maybe someone like Quicksilver, should already be there learning. I like the idea of keeping Storm out at this point, and them finding her, since she has (per canon) a connection to egypt, which is where APocalypse likely is.

I think we also have to assume that Mystique has continued to lead the fight in protecting mutants. Just because she prevented Erik from killing the President (and Trask) doesn't mean that the government would no longer find mutants a threat. Yes, maybe it led to the Sentinal program no longer being funded, but come on... Our government would most definitely still be going after mutants to try to track them and/or use them for their own purpose. That means that Mystique is likely out there still fighting the good fight, mostly against the government. There are really two (maybe three) paths that I can see for her over this decade. One, she has been fighting for her mutant brethern, and possibly formed her own team of mutants to do so. Let's call them her "Brotherhood"... Second, I could see the government trying to use her to form a team that works for and answers to the government. Let's call this team... X-Force or Frredom Force. Lastly, she may have joined back up with Erik, but I think this one is the least likely.

Now for Magneto, where was he left at the end of DoFP? Why is it I don't remember? I remember Erik was about to kill the President, and Mystique stopped him, and that she was convinced not to kill Trask, but what happened after that? I remember Mystique limping off, but I can't recall what happened to Erik. I guess he must have been allowed to escape as well...

Anyway, assuming he did get away, then what has he been doing these past 10 years?

For Erik I see a couple of different path.

One, is that he stayed true to what we've seen of him previously in that he continued to fight against the government. But isn't this one a bit been there, done that? Unless Mystique joined back up with him and he restarted his Brotherhood, which seems unlikely after he tried to kill her, and she shot him (didn't she).

The other choice, which has multiple ways to do this, is that he has since decided that separating himself and his fellow mutants from the other governments is the best path. That instead of trying to rule over the humans, he will instead lead any mutants who want to be part of his free society. This has mutliple paths.

One is that he creates Genosha. I always thought it would be amazingly cool for him to use his powers to pull gold from the ground, and then use that wealth to legally purchase his own effective country (Genosha). He could invite any mutants who wish to live free to become part of his society. Of course the governments of the world would have concerns, which could lead to a good part of the story.

Another is that he has been preparing to leave earth by creating Asteroid M. Imagine that he has created an underground (under mountain) realm for his followers. It just seems to fit with how some of the mutants were watching his statements. I could see them going to "worship" him, or at least look to have him lead them. This one is kind of the Alcolytes story. How amazing would it be to see Erik use his powers to rip this city from the earth and propel it into space. Now imagine we see Magneto sitting on his throne and we then see Cortez saying something like "My Lord, you have pushd yourself too far once again. Here, let me help you."

I guess I could see Magneto going into isolation after the events of DoFP, but what's the fun in that?

One thing I can't see is him joining with someone like Sinister or Apocalypse! I truly hope they don't go that route...

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #123
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

People took the whole "There will be direct effects from the time-travel mission" comment that Kinberg made and ran with it and somehow connected it to Apocalypse's appearance which I don't think is the case.

I think what he was referring to was one major change, Mystique finding Wolverine instead of Stryker, and other minor things such as Wolverine convincing Xavier to find Storm, Jean and Scott earlier or the fact that mutants are now out in the public eye far earlier than portrayed in the original series.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #124
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Personally i think it will be the time travel in DOFP that wakes up apocalypse because that will be what makes this timeline different from the previous one without having the question of did apocalypse happen in the original timeline? and if so then what happened? and if not then why not?

Old 11-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #125
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

I'm becoming more convinced that Apocalypse is found as a result of the change in the timeline.

Think about it. In the OT, no-one knows about mutants, so no-one is looking for answers. Post-DOFP, the world is very aware of mutants, so people will dig through historical texts looking for references to what was then considered magical. They come across the story of a man who could move pyramids. They look for, and find is tomb. Apocalypse is awoken, as a direct result of DOFP.

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote