The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 05-20-2014, 03:16 AM   #151
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: Batman Physique Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
He looked big, he looked scary. Job done.
Certainly, the movie made a billion.

But it would be disingenuous to think that a lot of discussion here is not based on personal perspective and inspiration and what people want to achieve and look like.

In that regard, as an avid gym-goer, it is not at all an impressive transformation to me. And that is the entirety of what I am saying. From a personal perspective.

My post was inviting opinions along those lines, as the transformation of the actor (not character) objectively, away from the film. I thought that much was obvious but still putting it in explicit words.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #152
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Maybe it was character serving but I won't put too much thought into that since little of the film and its portrayals or motivations made any sense at all.

What I am trying to say is objectively, just looking at his physique, without the character - it was thoroughly unremarkable though people think it was some kind of great physique. Do people really want to look like that? I certainly don't. And also that kind of physique is not as difficult to get as extremely ripped one. So less effort required means less impressive to me.

And even less impressive, he had to take steroids for it.

If you see how Tom Hardy looked in Blackhawk Down and other earlier roles you can see that he is not naturally a large man, and when you need to bulk up fast for a role steroids can help. For the size that he got be for Bane, certainly a bit of steroids can help. You don't have to but that extra edge can help add some extra mass, and increase appetite as well. I took some that are not legal today, but in the year I took them they were still not listed as illegal really, and looked sort of like that. Bulky, was hungry all the time which helped, and it took me about 3 months to gain the weight.

I started at 6'0" 160 lbs. and got to 190-195 lbs. within 3 months and looked similar to that. Bulky and thick. It was not easy and I doubt I could have done that without the help. After I leaned out to get ripped I did go down to 180 lbs. or so with just under 10% bf. You may need to take something to achieve that, especially since steroids are for the most part to gain size, they do not equal ripped as well depending on the steroid. If you take something like Winstrol though you will be able to maintain size while cutting and helps get ripped, but steroids in general will only work to add size or maintain size while cutting. Steroids will not get you ripped.

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #153
matt47
Side-Kick

I dunno, you can't say Hardy's back wasn't remarkable. I also hate it when people say, look at him! he's just fat!

matt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #154
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
If you want to simply talk about the physique and not the character, you should be on the Bodybuilding.com forums instead of here. The character is everything. Otherwise, why shouldn't Commissioner Gordon have a great, aesthetic physique as well?
Hmm, for some reason I now have an image of Ravishing Rick Rude wearing glasses and a trenchcoat, standing next to the Batsignal.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #155
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Cavill's promo shots were flattering. Cavill's behind the scene shots were also flattering. Why? Because he truly was in incredible shape.

Hardy' promo shots were flattering. Hardy' behind the scene shots were not. You see where I'm going.

Promo or behind the scenes, your work will speak for itself.

lukebrodyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #156
storyteller
Side-Kick

Honestly through all these years. Size doesn't really matter when they put on the costume. I mean yeah, skinny guy isn't going to look like Bane. But how they look their shirts off only matters when they have to do that required shot in the film with their shirt off. Otherwise the suits kill off that definition and then the suit needs to be made to create one.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #157
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Honestly through all these years. Size doesn't really matter when they put on the costume. I mean yeah, skinny guy isn't going to look like Bane. But how they look their shirts off only matters when they have to do that required shot in the film with their shirt off. Otherwise the suits kill off that definition and then the suit needs to be made to create one.
Yeah, same as with Michael Shannon. I don't he was in great shape or anything, but he looked fine in the suit so, if there is not shot that shows off their body I don't think it matters. Especially Batman since he is wearing a mask so the fighting can be done in a lot of scenes by martial artists.

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #158
Sun_Down
Groovy

Yes! Physique debates! These are always...enlightening *grabs popcorn. Looks at calorie content of said popcorn. Sadly eats popcorn anyway.*

Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #159
The Man of HEEL
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
Yes! Physique debates! These are always...enlightening *grabs popcorn. Looks at calorie content of said popcorn. Sadly eats popcorn anyway.*
popcorn can actually be a healthy snack depending on how you cook it!

The Man of HEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #160
Spamtron
THE MAN

yeah, not much calories in popcorn... but load it down with butter and there's your Bane-sized meal.

Hardy had 5 months to pack back on the size for Bane...and as Bruce said it was to be dirty bulk muscle and fat to get there on purpose. The dude is only 5'9" tall, and most folks I talked to that saw TDKR thought he was over 6' tall and 220+ lbs when he maybe hit 185lbs. He did a similar dirty bulk for Bronson, working out 4 times per day and downing 5000+ calories with a huge fat %. His increase in size is impressive no matter how you slice it, and many saw him as intended in those roles. In Warrior he had a similar regimen except little fat and carbs + extra MMA fight training, so he was much leaner with the size gain. As Hardy stated he took what he needed to get there in the time he had...

Henry is 6'1" and took over a year to put on the clean cut 20lbs he needed(including his preprep workouts Twight had him do before they even got started together)... twice the time it took Hardy to put on a similar amount of weight due to the absence of the roids.

Ben has some good size, and with the schedule is getting there a little bit, staying with it then having a couple weeks of cut before a shirtless scene should be fine... probably something that could even go as far out as reshoots, post principal photog.

Looking at Jackman even in X1, in the mansion is far removed from his first appearance in the cage, because Hugh asked Singer if they could move shooting that cage scene towards the end of schedule for time to get some better size on. that and a good pump made it much better for him in that scene compared to the others seen right after it shot much earlier.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #161
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamtron View Post
Looking at Jackman even in X1, in the mansion is far removed from his first appearance in the cage, because Hugh asked Singer if they could move shooting that cage scene towards the end of schedule for time to get some better size on. that and a good pump made it much better for him in that scene compared to the others seen right after it shot much earlier.
Yeah I read that in the new Jackman interview. He was hired with only 3 weeks to go before production started and he had never lifted prior to that.

They actually had to film some of his earlier shirtless shots from the shoulders up because he still had some flab around the waist. As you mentioned his intro shot (which blew me away back in the day), was filmed late in production.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #162
Spamtron
THE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Yeah I read that in the new Jackman interview. He was hired with only 3 weeks to go before production started and he had never lifted prior to that.

They actually had to film some of his earlier shirtless shots from the shoulders up because he still had some flab around the waist. As you mentioned his intro shot (which blew me away back in the day), was filmed late in production.
He was hired very last minute... if Dougray Scott hadn't busted himself up on MI2 we'd be looking at a different Wolve.
Hugh did pump some weights for Beauty & the Beast live as Gaston, but nothing like what he got into once starting X-men. He's a skinny dude, naturally around 160-170 without any training at 6'2"... so I doubt he had much actual fluff that us normal folks would consider so.
I have some lucky bastard friends like that, walking around in skinny jeans that look loose, where I would put them on without any lifting and still have my quads and calves busting outta them. But when they train they bulk up real fast... takes me a year of lifting to get 5 decent lbs packed on in the time they can add 15+.

Last edited by Spamtron; 05-21-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Spamtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #163
hafizbat
Side-Kick

A good comparison.

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:08 AM   #164
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Despite its title, this is technically the Batman AND Superman physique thread, right?

I have to ask people's opinion about Henry Cavill's appearance as Superman in the latest officially released photo. As weird as this is to say, I almost feel that Cavill has gone too far and is now TOO bulky. When I saw his pictures in MOS, his seemed like a perfectly proportioned godly physique. But what we're seeing now, it's actually similar to how Affleck appears in the Batman costume. Both of them just appear incredibly blocky in terms of their musculature.

Maybe that was what Snyder was going for (who am I kidding? It's Snyder). But all I can say is that seeing a live-action bodybuilder Superman --as opposed to a drawing by Jim Lee -- makes his secret identity as a "nerdy" Clark Kent all that much more ridiculous.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote