The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man Sequels

Old 05-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #26
Spider-Cross
Side-Kick

Default Re: Mandarin Maybe Reintroduced in Iron Man 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I understand, we're all scum for thinking Killian worked as the incredibly racist named character Mandarin, and that he should have instead been an Asian Stereotype.
Its' the magic rings

Spider-Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #27
Katsuro
Side-Kick

I doubt we'll ever see the real Mandarin. I think the One-Shot was a way to console the fans who didn't like what they did to Mandarin, let them know the real one is still out there, but they'll never actually visit him. If they wanted to use a comic-accurate Mandarin, they would've done so already.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #28
Chris B
Side-Kick

I'm not sure about that. Favreau seemed intend on using him, and Black doesn't seem to have ever been interested in doing a more faithful rendition.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #29
Lord
All Mighty

Why leave such a plot open if not to use it?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #30
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

The Mandarin must be more important than people think if he's getting two films

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #31
MichaelChen
Side-Kick

If the Mandarin is reintroduced, they should use his old comic origin.

In the comics, he's a rich fop who spends all of his fiefdom's money turning himself into a super-soldier.

In a modern movie, you could have him finding a way to manipulate the American government into funding him turning himself into a super-soldier.

In the comics, part of the way he turns himself into a super-soldier is spending all of his fiefdom's money on things like training himself at mystical chi-amping martial arts, so he can do things like karate-chop Iron Man's armor to pieces with his bare hands.

In a movie, they should modernize this by having him waste tax payer dollars to do some like, say, mutate himself into a super-soldier who can karate-chop Iron Man's armor to pieces thanks to mutated strength and heat.

MichaelChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #32
Silver Surfer
Power Cosmic

Quote:
In regards to the Mandarin, Feige noted, "There have been [talks]. That's one of the reasons we wanted to do the fun short that Drew Pearce wrote and directed. That was to clarify, 'Hey, just because we did this thing doesn't mean this other thing doesn't exist.' And as we were making Iron Man 3 -- and I think Drew's spoken about this -- that was always our intention, was that Aldrich Killian was perverting the notion of these things he's heard."
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/2...red-skull-dead

Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #33
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I'm not sure about that. Favreau seemed intend on using him, and Black doesn't seem to have ever been interested in doing a more faithful rendition.
Aldrich Killian is a much more faithful rendition than an immortal sorcerer. The Mandarin, in the comics, is not an immortal sorcerer.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #34
Loki882
Side-Kick

It's amusing to see Black and others whine about "magic rings" They're not magic, they're alien technology, so they'd fit into a more tech-based IM film just fine. In fact, they could draw an interesting contrast between the Earth tech of Tony and the Mandarin's advanced alien tech.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #35
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
It's amusing to see Black and others whine about "magic rings" They're not magic, they're alien technology, so they'd fit into a more tech-based IM film just fine. In fact, they could draw an interesting contrast between the Earth tech of Tony and the Mandarin's advanced alien tech.
Who was whining about the rings?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 09-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #36
Loki882
Side-Kick

Black basically called out the fans for criticizing him for "not giving them magic rings." Guess what Mr. Black, they're not magic. Maybe you shouldn't make judgments about the source material if you don't actually know the source material. It just makes you look clueless.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #37
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Black basically called out the fans for criticizing him for "not giving them magic rings." Guess what Mr. Black, they're not magic. Maybe you shouldn't make judgments about the source material if you don't actually know the source material. It just makes you look clueless.
I'm going to be honest, that's a pretty pedantic criticism. So he used a word that is technically inaccurate. So what?

I also don't see how it's a judgement about the source material. It's a judgement of the fans for being whiny and obnoxious about the whole thing.

I think it's pretty clear that Black did his research when making Iron Man 3. There's a ton of references and subtle weaving of different story lines from the comics.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 09-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #38
MichaelChen
Side-Kick

Agreed. In fact, Black seems to "get" the Mandarin in a way a lot of the complainers don't. The Mandarin was a rich aristocrat who spent all of his people's money turning himself into an ubermensche super-soldier, kind of Black Mask meets Iron Fist.

Killian is a lot closer to that than the Ra's Al Ghul type the complainers keep begging for.

MichaelChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #39
The Question

People look at what Black did, they see that he didn't adapt many of the banal surface details about the character, and they take that to mean that he didn't understand or care about the character. They don't see that he captured the soul of the character and what his role is in Iron Man's mythos perfectly, all while managing to take the racially insensitive and logistically difficult aspects of the character and turning them on their head into narrative strengths that were woven into a coherent and effective story.

That's just about as good as movie adaptations of things get.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by The Question; 09-07-2014 at 04:13 PM.