Dangerous Habits

Default Re: The official Michael Fassbender / Magneto thread - Part 1

DOfP. No contest.

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #602
elgaz
Side-Kick

Fassbender is great as Magneto. He really sells this bad guy who isn't an out and out villain, but just someone who insist on doing things his way and who is a product of his bleak childhood.

I must admit, the scene where he
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
skewers Wolverine
was brutal. It reminded me a lot of the comics, where Magneto
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
brutally rips the adamantium from Wolverine's bones - only in DOFP, he does the reverse with equal brutality

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #603
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

DOFP had the best costume ever.
But most of the costumes from the X series have been on point.
They've used the logical battle armor angle and it has worked even for the colorful costumes like FC

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #604
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Yeah they nailed Magneto's costume in this movie.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #605
Loki882
Side-Kick

Part of me did wonder where he got that costume? He kind of just shows up at RFK Stadium and he's already wearing it. It's not really a problem, but it did cross my mind.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #606
tacit-ronin-
Spectre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
So guys, between the suit that we saw Michael don at the very end of "FC" and the suit that he wore for the DOFP finale, which costume did you guys like for him the best?

dofp costume looks better. The first class costume looked like something that any cosplayer could put together.

tacit-ronin- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #607
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Part of me did wonder where he got that costume? He kind of just shows up at RFK Stadium and he's already wearing it. It's not really a problem, but it did cross my mind.
I don't think viewers want to see Fassbender's Magneto sat at a sewing machine, lol...

i thought the cape length varied a bit too much from one side to the other; McKellen's cape was a little more natural looking.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #608
Loki882
Side-Kick

I don't need to see him MAKE it either. But just a shot of him stealing it or a line mentioning where he got it would've have worked.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #609
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I don't need to see him MAKE it either. But just a shot of him stealing it or a line mentioning where he got it would've have worked.
It was such a custom-made item that we have to assume he had it at his home/lair and had fashioned it before he went to prison. There was a look almost like chainmail, like the metal costume Magneto pulls on to himself in the comics.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:49 AM   #610
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sorting out costumes in a minimal amount of time is a special power of all superheroes

I'm still not a fan of the DoFP helmet and the pants are kinda ill-fitting, but overall the costume was a huge improvement on the FC monstrosity.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #611
Cherik
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
the pants are kinda ill-fitting
I hate the DOFP trousers! The area around his crotch and the flaring out over the boots I prefer the FC trousers.. the way the trousers are tucked into his tall boots
I don't like his cape and the armour either but the colour is great

All this costume talk reminds me of some fanart I've seen:

Cherik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #612
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
party city

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #613
LouLa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherik View Post

All this costume talk reminds me of some fanart I've seen:

I definitely would have watched that scene. He could have sewed it with his powers (like his head)! I hope it makes it on the DVD extras.

LouLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #614
Mekleo33
Side-Kick

The fight on the plane was such a powerful moment in DoFP,I want them to get an Oscar for this and all the other great performances in this movie.Magneto was so hurt that Xavier had become this drugged out quitter.I don't think he was ever as scary as he was in that single scene.

Mekleo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #615
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekleo33 View Post
The fight on the plane was such a powerful moment in DoFP,I want them to get an Oscar for this and all the other great performances in this movie.Magneto was so hurt that Xavier had become this drugged out quitter.I don't think he was ever as scary as he was in that single scene.
Lol, Magneto was hurt? How about Charles being left to die on a beach with a bullet on his back and being left not by an enemy, but by the guy who was supposed to be his friend? Plus losing the school and his students. Of course Charles was just a stupid drugged hippie, he had no reason at all to be depressed.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #616
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacit-ronin- View Post
dofp costume looks better. The first class costume looked like something that any cosplayer could put together.
Ironically the FC costume was basically the closest to a comic outfit we have had so far in colour and design, infact I think they tried hard as they could to make it match the comic the same way they did the yellow and blue outfits

But I think for who knows what reason it just looked rushed and the fabric looked little cheap

We basically got a compromised updated version of it for DOFP which looks great, they made his costume more stylish and less bright and still more closer then a lot of outfit we seen in this film series

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-08-2014 at 06:22 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #617
Smilodon
Side-Kick

What I really liked about that plane confrontation (besides the fact that Singer continued those great interactions between Charles and Erik from FC) is that the "We were supposed to protect them" line within the context of the apocalyptic future and the decade of mutant oppression that followed FC with Project Wideawake etc. confronted the notion of Charles and Erik's failure to protect mutants, which was ultimately their shared goal.

The OT Charles/Erik interactions dealt with the possibility of mutants becoming oppressed and hunted down in some mutant holocaust (I guess X3 could've also had a scene like this but the only Charles/Erik dialogue we got was in relation to Jean), but to finally deal with the reality that everything that they had fought for in FC and eventually will fight for in the future will all be naught -- that really made Magneto's line resonate with me a lot more. I felt like "We were supposed to protect them" didn't just refer to the FC mutants, but rather all the mutants that will eventually be born and subjected to the Sentinel run future as well. In addition to that, we understand how some of that blame directly falls upon Charles, who rejected his powers, lost his ability to empathize with others and neglected his fellow mutants. Charles in the OT was really monk-like, so his exchanges with Erik, despite being excellently acted between Stewart/McKellen, wasn't able to reach the depth that the exchanges in FC had. Of course, Erik has his faults as well such as inadvertently paralyzing Charles and abandoning him on the beach etc. It just added this totally new dimension to their relationship and I wish we got more of it.

That being said, DOFP benefits a ton from the OT + FC and builds upon those relationships and the events of other movies, so you can't really expect that kind of interaction between the two in an earlier film, but nonetheless I really enjoyed the plane confrontation. Ever since I saw DOFP, I've been wanting for McKellen to act out some of Fassbender's famous scenes and Stewart/McAvoy to do each other's scenes as well. I'd love to see how McKellen would do the Frankenstein's Monster scene, and I think it'd be pretty interesting for Fassbender to do the jailbreak from X2 or some of Magneto's monologues from X1.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #618
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
Lol, Magneto was hurt? How about Charles being left to die on a beach with a bullet on his back and being left not by an enemy, but by the guy who was supposed to be his friend? Plus losing the school and his students. Of course Charles was just a stupid drugged hippie, he had no reason at all to be depressed.
Gotta side with Loganbabe on this one. If anyone has a right to be PO'ed in that scene, it's Charles. The only reason I forgive it, is at the end, Wolverine speaks out where Charles wouldn't, and calls Magneto an a-hole. Which Magneto deserves.

Erik can be sad or even distressed that his friend ended up in the state he's in...but not hurt. Charles has a right to be hurt.

While Charles Xavier is building his school, the Brotherhood has plans of its own—to build a mutant army. And soon, Magneto will discover there’s only one person who can build it for them…Charles.

Click Here to Read.
Nerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #619
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
Gotta side with Loganbabe on this one. If anyone has a right to be PO'ed in that scene, it's Charles. The only reason I forgive it, is at the end, Wolverine speaks out where Charles wouldn't, and calls Magneto an a-hole. Which Magneto deserves.

Erik can be sad or even distressed that his friend ended up in the state he's in...but not hurt. Charles has a right to be hurt.
There are many reasons why I don't like the scene as much as I wanted to, even though the acting is obviously top notch - the problem is the script. I was really looking forward to it as soon as Bryan mentioned the confrontation scene between Charles and Erik he was nervous to shoot because it was "quite intense". It started really well and then just took the easy route of "Magneto is an angry guy and can scream angrily really well". I guess most people love seeing Erik shouting and being "commanding", but meh. I actually think it reduces the character, and it reduces Charles too, because it always seems he can't come up with a counterargument. They start arguing and then Erik shouts and has the last word. End of story. I mean, he had no business saying that Charles had abandoned "Emma...Azazel..." Wtf? I think it's unfortunate that they included Sean in that list, because I'm sure Charles would never abandon one of his students - he would die first. So the whole thing was left unresolved because Erik decided to turn the focus on the president, which wasn't the reason the whole argument had started in the first place. A pity.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #620
myra
Side-Kick

Yeah how dare Magneto be angry about the experimentation and butchering of his mutant brothers and sisters. It's not like there was a mutant who had the means of locating distressed mutants and was powerful and influential enough to do something to stop it but chose not to. That's crazy talk!

I mean seriously how can you not get WHY Magneto was pissed off in that scene? Whether you think it's justified or not, it's pretty obvious. Charles could have helped. Charles chose mutant heroin instead. Erik was forcibly de-powered the past decade and Charles chose it. Magneto cannot understand that therefore EFF YOU CHARLES PLANE GOES CRASH!

Last edited by myra; 07-11-2014 at 02:43 PM.
myra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 AM   #621
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I didn't like that plane scene too.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #622
nycgirl
Newbie First Class

I liked it, but upon second viewing I see that there are some problems with the plane confrontation scene and the one that followed.

-The bit about Kennedy should have been cut out. It was a leftover from an early draft and felt like it.
-Why in the world should Xavier feel responsible for Emma and Azazel? He should have called Magneto on that bs.
-There's no explanation for why Xavier lost touch with Banshee. I wish they had established that Banshee was drafted to Vietnam, where he was reported to be killed in action when Trask captured and experimented on him. That could explain Xavier's depression, ignorance, and inaction.
-It's strange that Erik isn't too angry about the fact that he was imprisoned for 10 years for a crime he didn't commit, possibly without a fair trial. Seems like something he would mention in his rant.

Now for the things I liked:

-Xavier shooting a look of daggers at Magneto at the start of that scene.
-Erik's backlit face and steely gaze when he says, "You have no idea what I've done."
-"You took her away and you abandoned me." I really felt his rage and hurt.
-Wolverine insouciantly lighting his cigar and remarking, "So you were always an a-hole." Followed by, "You gonna pick this **** up?" Hilarious.
-Erik's olive branch in the form of a chess game.

Last edited by nycgirl; 07-12-2014 at 11:16 AM.
nycgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #623
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by myra View Post
Yeah how dare Magneto be angry about the experimentation and butchering of his mutant brothers and sisters.
Well he's an hypocrite then, because Magneto can be angry at Charles for abandoning "brothers and sisters", but not angry enough at himself for abandoning his brother (and three other mutants) who was gravely injured at the mercy of Americans and Russians, who certainly weren't happy about having missiles fired back at them by some freaks at that beach. "Too bad, Charles, you're just collateral damage, Magneto out!"

I really wish Charles had called him out on his hypocrisy. This is what is so unsatisfying about the banter between them. I expected more from both sides, not just a guy throwing a tantrum and almost crashing a plane so that his point of view is the only valid one.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #624
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I actually quite liked that scene too.

Anyways, whoever pointed out Magneto mentioning Kennedy being a mutant was a left over from a previous draft in that scene though is spot on. In fact the whole Kennedy business seemed really out of place. It seemed like after the Pentagon escape scene no one really cared that Kennedy's killer is out there, loose. Heck a secret service agent (I think that was his role) had to remind Nixon what "Magneto" had supposedly done (assasinated Kennedy).

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:35 AM   #625
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
There are many reasons why I don't like the scene as much as I wanted to, even though the acting is obviously top notch - the problem is the script. I was really looking forward to it as soon as Bryan mentioned the confrontation scene between Charles and Erik he was nervous to shoot because it was "quite intense". It started really well and then just took the easy route of "Magneto is an angry guy and can scream angrily really well". I guess most people love seeing Erik shouting and being "commanding", but meh. I actually think it reduces the character, and it reduces Charles too, because it always seems he can't come up with a counterargument. They start arguing and then Erik shouts and has the last word. End of story.
My big problem with the plane scenes was the stupid JFK stuff; not only was it out-of-place and poorly explored (what's the bet it will never be brought up again in future movies), but it also felt like a really forced way to put a temporary bandaid on the Erik/Charles relationship, so that it can be blown to bits again later on.

I had no problem with the way the first scene ended though; the emotions there ran so high that it was bound to degenerate into an ugly graceless screaming match, and I think it's entirely in Erik's character to respond to being screamed at by getting even more aggressive in return - and I think that in terms of pure aggression, Charles will always be outmatched. Back in the prison scenes, Charles had an upper hand, but he also had an element of surprise on his side, plus Erik didn't realise that Charles didn't have his powers.

Overall, Pentagon sequence is the only Erik/Charles sequence in the film that I love without reservations. Their last scene kinda feels like, at that point, the movie just wants to wrap up 70s stuff asap so that it can get to the real emotional climax of the movie.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 07-23-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote