The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 06-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #876
CountOrlok
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Batman & Robin Thread

Behind the scenes pic of Jeep Swenson:

Say what you will about Bane's portrayal in B&R, but visually he was much closer to the comics than Tom Hardy's Bane:

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #877
CountOrlok
Banned User

Detective Comics #511

(Yes, even the infamous bat credit card was in the comics)

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #878
Doctor Octopus
Side-Kick

That does not look like a Bat credit to me. I see no bat symbol or even the word bat on it.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #879
super85
Side-Kick

Yeah, its not like it says "Batman Forever" and Batman smileys to the camera and says "NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!!!"

super85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #880
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

And now he's gone.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #881
Mr.Blue890

It was a decent movie. Still classic but not very good jokes or acting. Not the best choice for Batman either. I liked Micheal Keaton and Adam west better. Adam West actually had a reason to be cheesy cause it was in a way different time. The puns where just awful and the villains could have been portrayed better. Although, I admit bane in that movie was loyal to the the comics than the new version. Overall I give it a six out of ten and that's pretty generous considering i'm not a movie critic.

Mr.Blue890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #882
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Why was Orlok banned? He was never rude to anyone. I guess he was a previously banned member.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #883
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Blue890 View Post
Although, I admit bane in that movie was loyal to the the comics than the new version.
I know Nolan took liberties with Bane in TDKR, but how does Schumacher/Swenson's Bane acting like a mentally challenged parrot and lapdog to Poison Ivy more loyal to the comics than Nolan/Hardy's version? Besides the venom and his alias there isn't much in common with comics.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #884
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Apart from looking kinda like comic Bane, Schumacher's Bane has more in common with angry Hulk than with comic Bane.

I'm disappointed in CoutOrlok's bannishment. We'll cry for his soul.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #885
Webhead38
Side-Kick

I'll be honest. When this film first came out, I thought it was a travesty. Unlike many here, I was not a kid when it came out. I was already in my early 30's, so my perspective was not going to allow for a kid-moment in the franchise. But my own kids have grown up watching it, and now even my grand son is watching it (and they all love it). So I've been able to see it through their eyes and that's allowed me to bridge that gap and just appreciate it on it's own terms. Also through watching it soooo much with each child, I've noticed this installment is actually the most watchable, despite it's flaws.

I've concluded that while the film's dialogue and script may be a work out on the brain, it's visuals are extremely easy on the eyes. It's a good looking movie for it's genre', and therefore a very easy film to sit through. My grandson will go through binges where he'll want to watch this movie every day for a week. He'll take a break and then months later he'll want another dose. And I think therein lies the secret to why it's never entirely cast aside by even the most critical of fans. It's an all out attack on the visual senses and there's something redeeming about that. No other movie remotely looks like that. And the fact it doesn't take itself serious pretty much keeps the movie timeless.

That movie looks as good today as it did in 1997. Yes, I still cringe at some of lazy editing done on this film. The back looping of Robin in the water is amateurish. When Robin came up out of the water, they could have moved to Batman cutting the vines and then gone back to Robin going back under and there would have been no need for the reversal. Very sloppy. And the poor camera angles on the wire work is completely on Schumacher. He got lazy, but once again, simple editing could have fixed all of that. So when I pull back and look at the totality of everyone's contributions, there were allot of talented people bringing their 'A' game to the project. But what hurt them was the utter failure of others, like Schumacher, to do their part correctly.

But for all it's faults, I accept and respect it's treatment. It speaks to generations of kids (past & present). And although some have grown out of it as they have gotten older, others can still retain their fascination for why they liked it as kids. Plus I have the unique position of seeing that same excitement with new generations like my grandson. So there's definitely a redeeming quality to the film that other movies in the franchise can not offer. At the end of the day, I think this movie is perhaps the most honest for just looking at the concept for what it is - It's a guy dressed up as a bat using bat-themed devices to fight crime. How serious should you really take that concept if you can't have fun with it as well? I think Schumacher made an indelible impression on the character that will one day find majority acceptance for what it is and not what some wanted it to be.

So while the dark and gritty Batman certainly has it's place in Batman lore, I think there's still plenty of room (and audience) for the lighter side of the concept. It's probably the most often quoted film in the series. And if people hated those lines THAT much, they wouldn't remember them.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #886
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead38 View Post
I'll be honest. When this film first came out, I thought it was a travesty. Unlike many here, I was not a kid when it came out. I was already in my early 30's, so my perspective was not going to allow for a kid-moment in the franchise. But my own kids have grown up watching it, and now even my grand son is watching it (and they all love it). So I've been able to see it through their eyes and that's allowed me to bridge that gap and just appreciate it on it's own terms. Also through watching it soooo much with each child, I've noticed this installment is actually the most watchable, despite it's flaws.

I've concluded that while the film's dialogue and script may be a work out on the brain, it's visuals are extremely easy on the eyes. It's a good looking movie for it's genre', and therefore a very easy film to sit through. My grandson will go through binges where he'll want to watch this movie every day for a week. He'll take a break and then months later he'll want another dose. And I think therein lies the secret to why it's never entirely cast aside by even the most critical of fans. It's an all out attack on the visual senses and there's something redeeming about that. No other movie remotely looks like that. And the fact it doesn't take itself serious pretty much keeps the movie timeless.

That movie looks as good today as it did in 1997. Yes, I still cringe at some of lazy editing done on this film. The back looping of Robin in the water is amateurish. When Robin came up out of the water, they could have moved to Batman cutting the vines and then gone back to Robin going back under and there would have been no need for the reversal. Very sloppy. And the poor camera angles on the wire work is completely on Schumacher. He got lazy, but once again, simple editing could have fixed all of that. So when I pull back and look at the totality of everyone's contributions, there were allot of talented people bringing their 'A' game to the project. But what hurt them was the utter failure of others, like Schumacher, to do their part correctly.

But for all it's faults, I accept and respect it's treatment. It speaks to generations of kids (past & present). And although some have grown out of it as they have gotten older, others can still retain their fascination for why they liked it as kids. Plus I have the unique position of seeing that same excitement with new generations like my grandson. So there's definitely a redeeming quality to the film that other movies in the franchise can not offer. At the end of the day, I think this movie is perhaps the most honest for just looking at the concept for what it is - It's a guy dressed up as a bat using bat-themed devices to fight crime. How serious should you really take that concept if you can't have fun with it as well? I think Schumacher made an indelible impression on the character that will one day find majority acceptance for what it is and not what some wanted it to be.

So while the dark and gritty Batman certainly has it's place in Batman lore, I think there's still plenty of room (and audience) for the lighter side of the concept. It's probably the most often quoted film in the series. And if people hated those lines THAT much, they wouldn't remember them.
Great post. It's totally understandable that you didn't like this movie at first. Most people didn't.

what counts, imo, is that we moves past the initial rage. Mostly because most of us moved from the "teh dark is teh only acceptable way, everything has to be grim'n'gritty" and we can appreciate most takes on the character.

Share your ps4 videos
Old 06-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #887
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

I saw something watching the movie today
The face of Shaggy (from Scooby-Doo) in graffiti

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #888
Ceb-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead38 View Post

Love this and well said! We have got to remember we need the kid friendly versions to get younger viewers. Long before Batman was dark I grew up on the Adam West 60's series, Superfriends, and The New adventures of Batman. Yes, I love the dark Batman, but Batman has been interpreted many ways.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #889
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/924...tiful-ones-are

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Kane52630; 08-21-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #890
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Epicness

Share your ps4 videos
Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #891
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

''Why are all the gorgeous ones homicidal maniacs... is it me?''

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #892
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

damn it...this is what I get for copying and pasting from IMDB.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #893
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Ugh.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #894
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Guys, I'm in an argument on FB on Graham Nolan's page about Batman and Robin. It's too funny. I'm the only one defending the movie haha.

Share your ps4 videos
Old 08-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #895
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/953...y-batman-robin

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 08-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #896
rm2092

Please no more bat nipples.

rm2092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #897
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Give us bat-butts instead, Kane!

Goshdarn Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #898
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

I feel like the detractors for B&R focus more on the Bat nipples than Joel Schumacher himself.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 08-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #899
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

It could have been worse. What if they focused on Schumacher's nipples?

Goshdarn Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #900
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

"I heard you were blue". Hah.