The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: Ragnarok

Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #26
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Default Re: Thor 3 official!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
I don't have a twitter account, but you have my permission to send him a link to my post . Honestly, though, I don't expect that he would read it even if you did send it to him. If I were a professional writer, I wouldn't read fan submitted work for a number of reasons.
Yea, unsolicited stuff is tricky, he'd probably have to delete it immediately if you sent it to him

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #27
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
Hey guys, here's my in-depth idea for the plot of Thor 3. Warning: it's super long. I know this sort of thing annoys some people, so if you're one of those, feel free to skip it.

I don't know if all of these ideas would work in a 2-2.5 hour film, but I think it's possible. I introduce a slew of new supporting characters, but I also leave out some characters from the first two films. Some elements are straight from my wish list, but that's okay because this is a total fanwank-ish project

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Thor 3 overview: more of a “quest” narrative structure than a superhero plot structure. In this, Thor is actually a “reluctant hero,” content with staying out of the business of Asgard and living the simple life on Earth. Through his journey, he learns that he cannot abandon his responsibilities (it’s not enough to just be a “good man” when the fate of the nine realms rests on you, unfair though it may seem).

PROLOGUE: Surtur in Muspelheim “DOOM!” hammering [this should be revisited periodically between key scenes throughout act 1 and 2 to show how Surtur’s army is growing]. Unlike the previous Thor movie prologues, I wouldn’t have Odin narrating this. Partly to underscore the fact that Odin isn’t around, and partly to highlight the primal, stark power of Surtur.

ACT I: Thor on Earth with Jane. He is content with his life there. Think of how Thor was acting at the end of Thor1, when he was humble and enjoying the simple life, like making eggs for his friends, etc. Sif arrives suddenly and says “Odin” is running Asgard into ground w/ strange advisors (Amora & Skurge). She says that Thor is needed but she suggests he return not by the “front door” because Odin might not welcome him back. Sif stays to watch over Jane at Thor’s request, with tension between the two. Thor returns to Asgard not via the Bifrost, but through Nornheim (via Karnilla’s magic).

In Nornheim, Thor meets Balder, the long-time ambassador from Asgard, and Karnilla, sorceress and leader of Nornheim. They fill Thor in on how things have gone downhill. Many of Asgard’s faithful have fled or (those who did not succumb to the strength of Skurge or the seduction of Amora, like the W3) been banished. They have sought refuge on other worlds, like in Nornheim (in the MCU, I’d make Nornheim the home of the Valkyrior). Karnilla also warns the she feels a great evil growing with sights set on Asgard, and urges that if Thor loves what Odin/Asgard once stood for, he must get through to Odin (or says “for the good of all the universe, Odin must stand against this evil, etc).

Thor sneaks into Asgard through the troll caverns. He runs afoul of Ulik, and defeats him after a brief but destructive battle. By the time the fight with Ulik ends, Thor has caught the attention of “Odin” and is retrieved by the Einherjar, who are waiting for him when the dust settles. They are led by Skurge; Thor and Skurge briefly skirmish, but Thor stops fighting when he sees that the Einherjar seem not to be themselves. During their battle, Skurge boasts that he is the “new champion of Asgard,” and demonstrates that his axe is as powerful as Mjolnir (so he believes). After he surrenders, Thor is brought back to Asgard.

ACT II: Asgard is dirty, no longer the “Golden Realm.” The citizens seem downtrodden, & somehow hypnotized or in a trance. Thor is brought before “Odin,” who bids that all but Skurge and Amora leave. Thor pleads that Odin snap out of it to prepare for the coming evil, but “Odin” reveals himself to be Loki. Thor is ready to kill Loki, until Loki reveals that Odin is alive, but hidden away (in Niffleheim, a dark and dingy word of ancient cities—the same place the Aether was hidden in TDW; also, for the MCU, combined with Hel…?). Loki acknowledges that he knows an evil is coming. It is Surtur, coming to light his Twilight Sword with the Eternal Flame (seen in Odin’s vault in Thor1), which will destroy the Nine Realms. Loki has been using Amora to enslave an army for Asgard, but he knows that it won’t be enough and concedes that he needs Odin. He says that only Thor can retrieve him. As insurance, Loki reveals that he has Sif and Jane as prisoners (Heimdall, enthralled by Amora, pulled them there using the Bifrost; there was no fight; magic is not a fair or honorable way to fight in a world of warriors, but that’s how Loki operates).

Thor sets out for Niffleheim via the Bifrost, but must navigate the dead world upon his arrival. He is immediately surrounded by the denizens of Niffleheim, and must battle through the endless hordes until they are stopped by their master (Hela? Or perhaps some other Thor foe here…), who makes a bargain to return Odin, on the condition that “The Son of Odin” take his place upon his death. Thor agrees. Odin is weak beyond belief. They return to Asgard.

Loki restrains Thor and takes Odin, revealing his true plan was to siphon the remaining Odinforce into himself using Amora’s help. At this time, Karnilla, Balder, and the Warriors 3 arrive with the Valkyrior (via Pegasusi) and attack to reclaim Asgard. This was their plan all along, arranged by Thor before he left. Karnilla and Balder are an equal match for Amora and Skurge, while Thor fights Loki, the W3 find and release Jane and Sif from captivity, and the Valkyrior fight the Einherjar forces. Jane and Sif team up with Karnilla on Amora, who is defeated (maybe Jane does something science-y, or maybe Sif sneaks up while she’s distracted and runs her through). With Amore dead or incapacitated, Skurge, the Einherjar, and everyone else in Asgard are released from their enthrallment, just as Surtur’s forces arrive. Loki runs into hiding.

ACT III: Surtur’s forces storm into Asgard over the rainbow bridge. Heimdall puts up a valiant fight but is gravely injured, the first casualty against Surtur himself: a towering being of fire taller than Asgard’s great hall; a true force of nature, unlike anything the Asgardians (or audience) have ever seen before. Thor, Sif, Balder, and the W3, with Skurge behind them, reach the end of the rainbow bridge; Thor flies out to Heimdall’s observatory and grabs him, then circles around Surtur to truly take in his scope before returning to the others. When he lands with the W3, Skurge says “I’ll hold the bridge,” and the others are forced to trust him as they fall back to the great hall. Skurge fights singlehandedly and eventually makes the ultimate sacrifice as Surtur’s forces overwhelm him, but he buys the others enough time to escape.

Meanwhile, Jane and Karnilla have Odin in a healing room and have helped him regain some power. He is still weak, but he says he must face Surtur alone. Thor arrives and says Odin will not be alone. Jane reasons that if Amora was able to siphon Odin’s power, there must be a way to do the opposite, and combine the powers of Odin and Thor. Karnilla says she can do that, and it might work. Just then, Loki comes out of hiding and says “That won’t be enough. I’ll stand with you today.”

Thor, Odin, and Loki move to the highest tower of the great hall, with Karnilla by their side. Sif guards Jane, but Jane takes up a sword herself; they have a mutual respect now. Below, fire demons fight with Valkyrior in the sky as the Warriors 3 lead battalions of Einherjar on the ground. Karnilla begins an incantation, as Surtur continues to lay waste to Asgard left and right. Surtur has approached the great hall. He looms above the tower upon which our heroes stand and raises the Twilight Sword above his head with both hands. Karnilla completes her incantation, and a massive Godblast emanates from Odin, Thor, and Loki. It is blinding.

When we can see again, Surtur staggers backwards, dropping the now broken Twilight Sword, his own flames diminished. Thor takes flight and delivers blow after blow with Mjolnir in hand, mercilessly striking with lightning bolts from space, unleashing all his might, until Surtur is pushed back beyond Heimdall’s destroyed observatory and falls into the chasm of space. Thor returns to the tower. Odin has collapsed. He dies.

EPILOGUE: Asgard is in ruins. Thor takes the throne in a solemn ceremony that is a sad echo of the coronation scene that opened the first film. Thor banishes Loki (to Niffleheim, repaying Hela with a “son of Odin”), and returns Jane to Midgard in a move of self-sacrifice. Whether he wants it or not, it is his responsibility to lead/rebuild Asgard. He vows to return to earth if it is in jeopardy, but he cannot abandon his responsibilities for love or personal bliss again. The character journey Thor began in the first film has reached a logical conclusion.

Let me know what you guys think. Obviously this is total fanfic overkill, and all straight from my mind/the comics, and is likely very different from what Yost and Kyle are actually writing for the MCU... but what ideas would you like to see make it into the actual film?
incredible. more thoughts on this later. The best part is the build up..

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #28
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

k seahammer back to ur incredible plot.
The build up was the best part, you definitely built this up to be an engaging script, full of family drama and action.

A couple things I would prefer - not saying I'm making things better just things I'd prefer...

Act 1 - As much As I enjoyed the Simple life Thor scenes, I do think what would be more fun is having Thor explore Jane's interest in the galaxy by visiting other planets and realms to help further her research. Imagine how riveting it would be as Thor and Jane were having an adventure in some far off planet in the galaxy searching for an ancient relic that and upon finding it they would encounter an army of behemoths that Thor could flex his muscle on. Then we can see some hyper space Mjonir speed feats as they make their way back to earth- When Thor and Jane get back all giddy ready to get relax offer dinner they are stunned to see Asgardians(SIF) waiting in their dining room to notify Odin gon coocoo

I would also have Surtur involved in more of the scheming. He was just as smart as he was strong.

Maybe Surtur going right after Thor from the onset figuring that Loki is no real threat?

In the final scenes I would have Surtur overwhelming everyone in battle. To the point of desperation. Odin reveals he can have Thor tap into his full potential if he gives him his life force but If Thor accepts he'd have to stay on Asgard as king since Asgard needs the Odinforce to continue. Thor accepts knowing its over between him and Earth. Thor barely wins in epic battle

Old 05-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #29
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I am pleased the sequel is in motion; I am hoping they bring out Surtur for the film.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #30
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
k seahammer back to ur incredible plot.
The build up was the best part, you definitely built this up to be an engaging script, full of family drama and action.
Hey! Thanks for the kind words, Cisco!

Quote:
A couple things I would prefer - not saying I'm making things better just things I'd prefer...

Act 1 - As much As I enjoyed the Simple life Thor scenes, I do think what would be more fun is having Thor explore Jane's interest in the galaxy by visiting other planets and realms to help further her research. Imagine how riveting it would be as Thor and Jane were having an adventure in some far off planet in the galaxy searching for an ancient relic that and upon finding it they would encounter an army of behemoths that Thor could flex his muscle on. Then we can see some hyper space Mjonir speed feats as they make their way back to earth- When Thor and Jane get back all giddy ready to get relax offer dinner they are stunned to see Asgardians(SIF) waiting in their dining room to notify Odin gon coocoo
Cool idea. Thor and Jane traveling abroad would also be a good place to introduce or foreshadow Surtur's threat, which might help with the comments below:

Quote:
I would also have Surtur involved in more of the scheming. He was just as smart as he was strong.

Maybe Surtur going right after Thor from the onset figuring that Loki is no real threat?

In the final scenes I would have Surtur overwhelming everyone in battle. To the point of desperation. Odin reveals he can have Thor tap into his full potential if he gives him his life force but If Thor accepts he'd have to stay on Asgard as king since Asgard needs the Odinforce to continue. Thor accepts knowing its over between him and Earth. Thor barely wins in epic battle
You make a great point about fleshing Surtur out a bit more. Upon reflection, Surtur really does come off a plot device, not a well-rounded character (almost like Galactus-cloud in ROTSS... ). Maybe he could narrate the prologue from his point of view at the start of the film, or do something else that makes him interesting and engaging for the audience, rather than just being a big flame-y guy who comes in at the end. So many people complained about Malekith being one-note, I don't want to repeat that with one of Thor's greatest villains. And I emphatically agree with the part that I bolded above.

Thanks again for the awesome feedback, you have some great suggestions!

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #31
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

np man, just hopefully we get a story as good as ur plot!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #32
Dasher10
Side-Kick

I want to see the Enchantress.

And since there are usually a shortlist of actors and directors that I'd like to see in a CBM, I'd approve of Viva Bianca appearing as her as Loki's queen.

Dwayne Johnson for Executioner.

And Jane should die.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #33
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Hope we see ALL Asgardian related character if it Ragnarok

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:11 AM   #34
Aging Fangirl
slow slog to 1000 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Hope we see ALL Asgardian related character if it Ragnarok
If this over at IMDB is any indication, then Ragnarok must be official.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3501632/

Or it could be hokum, who knows. I have no idea how stuff gets updated over there.

Aging Fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #35
OcStat
Side-Kick

I think it would be awesome to see Asgard put off for a bit, draw out the return of Loki. What they should do, is take a cue from Cap and adapt a modern story from the comics, namely Aaron's recent Godbutcher arc.

After Thor is comfortable on Midgard he needs to travel into deep space to confront the God Butcher, use some advanced make up to portray the different time periods shown in the original story. And we could have an unprecedented MCU epic.

Meanwhile Loki is ruining Asgard, so when Thor eventually does return home, it can be a true showdown.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #36
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
I think it would be awesome to see Asgard put off for a bit, draw out the return of Loki. What they should do, is take a cue from Cap and adapt a modern story from the comics, namely Aaron's recent Godbutcher arc.

After Thor is comfortable on Midgard he needs to travel into deep space to confront the God Butcher, use some advanced make up to portray the different time periods shown in the original story. And we could have an unprecedented MCU epic.

Meanwhile Loki is ruining Asgard, so when Thor eventually does return home, it can be a true showdown.
Thought provoking post, OcStat. I think you hit the nail on the head when when you said they should "take a cue from Cap and adapt a modern story from the comics," but I would put the emphasis on adapt, not on modern. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about the Godbutcher arc in the comics, but I think that's a bit too modern for my tastes.

But they definitely should do an adaptation of a beloved storyline.

That was the problem with T:TDW from the get-to, in my opinion. When CA:TWS was announced, everyone cheered because they knew exactly what they were getting. When "The Dark World" was announced, people were like WTF? And then they chose Malekith as a villain, who is a weak villain in the comics anyway, and invented a brand new story around him. His big MacGuffin was used by Loki in the first Thor film (the casket of ancient winters), and nothing from any actual iteration of Malekith was used in the movie. Of course, no one calls him "Malekith In Name Only" because no one really cares. His backstory was nonexistent in the comics.

So I agree with you that they need to adapt something from the comics. It is obvious from other posts of mine that I think "The Surtur Saga" should be adapted, but I concede that that isn't the only way to go. Here are some other ideas:

-The Reigning/JMS's Asgard over Broxton combination (a good Thor 4 IMO, if we get Surtur destroying Asgard in Thor 3)
-Beta Ray Bill (scratches that cosmic itch you mentioned)
-Thor cursed by Hela, fights Midgard Serpent (taking a break from Asgard/Loki-Odin, as you suggested)
- Something with Enchantress/Executioner (or even Balder)
- Eric Masterson/Thunderstrike (if we did it my way and had endless Thor movies, this might be my Thor 5)
- Hercules/Olympus/other pantheons (maybe tie it in with the Godbutcher story?)
- Celestials (we already have Knowhere in GOTG)

I don't know, those are just off the top of my head ( and sadly i highly doubt we'll get more than one more Thor film in this MCU era). I'm sure there are other great movie-worthy arcs. I guess my point is that I would rather mine the older canon than go for something that was in the comics last year, but I know that I'm an old fuddy-duddy that way. I think the Jason Aaron is doing an outstanding job with Thor, BTW, so no disrespect to his story or to your suggestion, OcStat.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #37
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

I'd really want to see a God Butcher movie, but it should be a later movie if so. Sometime after Avengers 3. The problem is that it might be a bit too dark/gory in some points but imo it's one of the best arcs ever.

I'm not a fan of the Thor copies (BRB, Thunderstrike, etc) so I hope those don't get involved in any movies. Imo Thor's character gallery is strong enough.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #38
teabag

Hello, I am new to this forum and found it via google. I read with interest your ideas about a Thor 3 movie, seahammer, and I, too, had an idea for the sequel, since I was not really completely content with Thor 2. If you guys are interested, you are very welcome to read my Thor 3 spec script on my blog.

I have chosen a completely different storyline than you suggested here, though, but probably you find it enjoyable nevertheless. Let me know what you think. I am looking forward to any comments on this.

I also read that you suggested to contact Yost via Twitter (something I had not thought about so far), but I agree with BoredGuy that this will most likely not help -- in my case even less because he can have no interest in a "rivalling" screenplay, I suppose.... :-(

teabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #39
Jenlet
Irritant

Think we'll get any new info from SDCC in a couple weeks?

Jenlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #40
doink
No Strings on Me

So Marvel tweeted this...
Quote:
Marvel Entertainment ‏@Marvel
We're announcing an all-new thundering title tomorrow on ABC's @theviewtv! Tune in at 11e|10p|c for details. #TheView
along with a picture of lightning. They don't specify what they're announcing (whether it's a movie, comic or TV show) but I think they're going to announce Thor 3's release date and/or title.

guh the tweet after it clarified it as a comic announcement https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/488780390111666176

Move along, nothing to see here...

doink's MCU ranking: 1. The Avengers, 2. CA:TWS, 3. GoTG, 4. Iron Man, 5. Thor, 6. IM3, 7. CA:TFA, 8. Thor:TDW, 9. IM2, 10. TIH

Last edited by doink; 07-14-2014 at 06:15 PM.
doink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #41
seahammer
Asgardian

so with all those release dates just locked in by Marvel, most people are assuming one of them is for Thor 3. I'd like the May 2017 date for him.

Do you guys think we'll get any Thor 3 news at comic con next weekend?

Old 08-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #42
Lord
All Mighty

4 years after the 2nd film sounds like a realy long time, i hope they take it as a way to get more time to craft "the Thor movie", Iron Man had Iron Man 1, Captain America had Winter Soldier, Avengers and Guardians had their first films as well, Thor's the only MCU franchise so far that needs to prove that it can stand on its oun, well, Hulk has that problem too, but you get the idea.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #43
seahammer
Asgardian

I pretty much agree with you (although I would argue that Thor 1 "can stand on its own," but it really depends what you mean by that).

I do agree that Thor 3 needs to do what CA:TWS did for Cap, though (and IMO what IM3 did after a lackluster IM2): really take the franchise to the next level, and give it a flavor unique from the other MCU films (if that's what you meant by "stand on its own," then I guess we're on the same page). Now that GOTG exists to be really sci-fi in the MCU, I would like to see Thor 3 be more of a LOTR-esque fantasy. Asgardian technology can still exist as-is, but I'd like to see the Asgardians explore more of the 9 Realms, and I'd for those worlds to seem real and lived in. I'd love to have trolls, sorcery, magical weapons, and demonic armies (Ulik, Amora and Karnilla, Skurge, and Surtur, respectively), and leave Earth behind for awhile. We could have gotten that in T:TDW but we didn't.

I really hope that they take the time to make Thor 3 something special, and they find a director with a vision for it who can work within the Marvel Studios system. Of course, Thor is a lot of different things to different people, and different eras of the comics have almost felt like different genres. My vision for Thor 3 might not be everyone's, but I think they can't go wrong with using Walt Simonson as their inspiration for the story and the world.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #44
Lord
All Mighty

With Thor what i mean is a film that makes the featured hero an actual favorite, Iron Man 1 and Winter Soldier did that, while they have their moments, i don't think any Thor film so far has been more than just average, Thor and Captain America 1 realy felt more like preludes to Avengers, as movies they didn't realy feel like they deserved their oun series of films.

I loved Iron Man 3, probably my favorite MCU film so far, but that one was a little divisive, the first film was what kicked the character into the general public's conscience. Thor still has to prove itself beyong just Loki, they need to make Thor a favorite, instead of the "boring strong Avenger" some seem to consider him to be, they used to also call Captain America the Avenger nobody liked the most, but now nobody seems to think that. Though i think First Avenger did a great job with his character, i know some that considered him their favorite due to that, but whatever.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:54 AM   #45
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
4 years after the 2nd film sounds like a realy long time, i hope they take it as a way to get more time to craft "the Thor movie", Iron Man had Iron Man 1, Captain America had Winter Soldier, Avengers and Guardians had their first films as well, Thor's the only MCU franchise so far that needs to prove that it can stand on its oun, well, Hulk has that problem too, but you get the idea.
I agree with you.

I just watched the first two Thor last night, and they were entertaining despite not being great. It was actually just my 2nd time watching TDW and I didn't dislike it compare to my 1st viewing so its a grower. For the 3rd film, I want to see more of the 9 realms, specifically the ones that weren't really shown in the 1st two films. I'm hoping it will be out in 2017 or 2016.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #46
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Yup Thor 2 is a grower, is entertaining, like the first. The ending battle was pretty awesome. There was just a ton of potential wasted.

Hopefully Thor 3 is the epic we all know it can be.
I'm on board for God butcher run... the 3 Thors, intergalactic, time travel is unique and grande while the story is still very personal and powerful

Old 08-19-2014, 02:52 AM   #47
First Avenger
Side-Kick

The thing with TDW for me is,there's nothing really wrong with it as a movie,it's just that when fan expectations come into play it could and should have been even better than it was. BTW I actually talked to Chris Yost on Twitter,he said they're working to make Thor 3 just as special as TWS and GOTG so here's hoping.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #48
HIA
Banned User

the problem with Thor franchise is that Marvel doesnt see it with the potential as other franchises like Lord of the rings. Marvel just doesnt see it for Thor, its like they dont have high expectations with the character and are easily pleased with a typical plot with some humour here and there.

Thor could be something really huge, epic and a big franchise for the genre, but.... Marvel just doesnt care enough, sadly

HIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #49
Rorschach2012
$

I do like the MCU but seriously wtf is this franchise? I have no interest in this franchise moving forward. It had the potential to be LOTR level epicness, but that was completely squandered when they decided to make Thor a superhero themed romantic comedy.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #50
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I do like the MCU but seriously wtf is this franchise? I have no interest in this franchise moving forward. It had the potential to be LOTR level epicness, but that was completely squandered when they decided to make Thor a superhero themed romantic comedy.
IMO (and you're entitled to yours, of course), that's a bit extreme. I've said before that there are things I would have changed about TDW, but I really don't see how it can be classified as a "romantic comedy" at all. Did it have humor? Sure. Did it have romance? Barely. No more than IM3 in either regard. The first Thor's plot revolved as much around Thor's relationships with his brother and father as it did with Jane. Most comic book movies have the female lead as a love interest, so it's not like Thor is an exception here.

As for the franchise: Thor 1 is loved by many, and despite TDW's flaws it managed to do plenty of things right. I think that a third Thor movie handled correctly could make TDW look much better in the rear-view mirror. The franchise needs a director with a strong vision who can incorporate what's been set up while bringing everything to the next level, but (again, IMO) the franchise is very far from dead. There are plenty of great places to go.