The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Default MCU Marathon - Infinity War Rewatch Thread

I've seen threads for this on reddit and other sites and didn't see one on the Hype, so here goes: if you are rewatching any or all of the 18 (18!) MCU films in preparation for IW, post your thoughts here.

Obviously that includes Black Panther when it premieres.

I started rewatching Iron Man last night for the first time in years and it's impressive how well this holds up. I know it like the back of my hand (I rewatched my DVD's of Iron Man and TIH constantly in high school) but haven't returned to it in quite a long time. Throughout this last viewing I just kept thinking that not only did Marvel manage to capture lightning in a bottle on more than one occasion, but they managed to do that right out of the gate.

Iron Man has no business being as good as it is, but it stands alongside Batman Begins and Raimi's Spider-man as one of the best origin stories ever put to the big screen. It's so tight and clearly defined that I still can't figure out how they started shooting this without a solid script - everything just works from moment one, and that is obviously due in no small part to the irreplaceable charm of Downey.

Tony Stark is a greedy, hedonistic, capitalist pig who should have been a tough sell both in the early-60's when he was originally conceived, and in May of '08 when the economy was at it's lowest point in decades. But damn if you don't love this guy from moment one, and that is primarily thanks to Downey. It's crazy how much of a risk this was at a time, and it's crazy how well it's paid off for everyone involved.

Someone that doesn't get enough credit is Jeff Bridges. Marvel has since garnered the (largely deserved) reputation of phoning it in with their villains, but Bridge's gave a good performance that, like the rest of this film, holds up better than I expected. Is he great? No, but I buy everything about this performance save for the largely half-baked turn in the third act where he puts on a ridiculous outfit for reasons that I still don't quite understand.

Something else that might be slightly controversial? I kind of prefer Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle. I think Cheadle is the better actor but Terrence sold a kinship with Downey that I just don't quite feel in the next few movies.

I didn't finish Iron Man unfortunately (got to his first flight before I went to sleep last night), but I'll post more thoughts this evening and do the same for TIH sometime later this week.

I understand that watching 18 movies before May is a fairly large undertaking so I understand that most won't be doing it, but anyone is welcome to post thoughts on any of the films in light of IW.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 01-06-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

Default Re: MCU Marathon - Infinity War Rewatch Thread

It might be time for me to dip my toe.

Mandon Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Dip your toe as in revisit some of the MCU films before IW?

Unless you are a hardcore fan like me, I'd recommend focusing on the ones that are generally agreed to be the best: Iron Man, The Avengers, TWS, Guardians vol. 1, and Civil War are not only the obvious highlight but I think they're the most important in laying the groundwork for IW and where our main players are. I also think there'd be value in rewatching Ragnarok (unfortunately I think the home release won't be until after BP so the viewing order won't be ideal) and Age of Ultron.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Dip your toe as in revisit some of the MCU films before IW?

Unless you are a hardcore fan like me, I'd recommend focusing on the ones that are generally agreed to be the best: Iron Man, The Avengers, TWS, Guardians vol. 1, and Civil War are not only the obvious highlight but I think they're the most important in laying the groundwork for IW and where our main players are. I also think there'd be value in rewatching Ragnarok (unfortunately I think the home release won't be until after BP so the viewing order won't be ideal) and Age of Ultron.
As in give them a shot, across the board. See what all the fuss is about, beyond Avengers in 2012, I haven't kept tabs on the films.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
As in give them a shot, across the board. See what all the fuss is about, beyond Avengers in 2012, I haven't kept tabs on the films.
Ah, gotcha. Well best of luck - I know the first Iron Man is available to watch for free on Hulu if you have that. Let me know that films you do end up watching and how you feel about them.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. Well best of luck - I know the first Iron Man is available to watch for free on Hulu if you have that. Let me know that films you do end up watching and how you feel about them.
Will do. On all fronts FM

Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
LoganPool
Husband. Father. Servant.

Quote:
I started rewatching Iron Man last night for the first time in years and it's impressive how well this holds up. I know it like the back of my hand (I rewatched my DVD's of Iron Man and TIH constantly in high school) but haven't returned to it in quite a long time. Throughout this last viewing I just kept thinking that not only did Marvel manage to capture lightning in a bottle on more than one occasion, but they managed to do that right out of the gate.
Not only does it hold up well (still my 2nd favorite MCU film to date), but the Mark II IM suit is still the best suit, IMO. It's a thing of beauty.

1. Avengers: Infinity War... 9
  2. Antman & The Wasp... 9
  3. A Quiet Place... 8.5
  4. Incredibles 2... 8.25
  5. Black Panther... 8
LoganPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
I buy everything about this performance save for the largely half-baked turn in the third act where he puts on a ridiculous outfit for reasons that I still don't quite understand
He hired the 10 Rings to kill Tony like he did his father so he could cease full rights to STARK Enterprise, that's why they had Stark made weapons. They failed, Obi visited the site and saw what they salvaged, and decided he needs a similar weapon of his own cause this thing is brilliant and useful. It was built to in a fine way, has some nice nods without making it a detective story, not one of the sudden twists that came out of nowhere.
He also didn't like that the man he wanted to kill decided to fully CEASE manufacturing weapons (instant kill option for Spider-Man is canonically stupid), that would cost him an even greater fortune.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.

Last edited by Spider-Aziz; 01-06-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #9
psylockolussus
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

You forgot Black Panther, the 18th MCU film.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #10
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

I did an MCU marathon before watching Ragnorak for the first time, and it made me enjoy that movie that little bit more.

Just not sure I could go through one again so soon after the last, as another poster suggested on another thread, I may wait for A4.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

I think Stane's ending was one of the better executions of a "and the plan just keeps falling apart" villain arc. "I get into a smash up super fight with the hero" *is* a stupid plan, but it wasn't the plan. It was just what happened, because all Stane's plans kept being ruined, by a little guy named 'Tony Stark'. Past a certain point, "Hatred and spite" are perfectly valid reasons for super-murder, even if it makes no larger self-interested sense. "I've got giant militarized powered armor, and the guy who I hate above all else is right in front of me. **** it, I'm gonna just kill him. Again. Because the last two times didn't work."

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #12
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
He hired the 10 Rings to kill Tony like he did his father so he could cease full rights to STARK Enterprise, that's why they had Stark made weapons. They failed, Obi visited the site and saw what they salvaged, and decided he needs a similar weapon of his own cause this thing is brilliant and useful. It was built to in a fine way, has some nice nods without making it a detective story, not one of the sudden twists that came out of nowhere.
He also didn't like that the man he wanted to kill decided to fully CEASE manufacturing weapons (instant kill option for Spider-Man is canonically stupid), that would cost him an even greater fortune.

Disagree on both. I dont recall Stane being the one ordering the hit on the Starks. It was more HYDRA shooting down two birds with one stone - The Serum plus remove one of their big enemies. And reg. the instant kill mode, its the way Tony sees it - its safeguarding a kid who might not have the right judgement and get into something waay more than his capabilities can allow him to survive.

honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #13
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
I dont recall Stane being the one ordering the hit on the Starks.
Eight years before Civil War was released, don't know how many before it was planned with that quick change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
And reg. the instant kill mode, its the way Tony sees it - its safeguarding a kid who might not have the right judgement and get into something waay more than his capabilities can allow him to survive.
Still stupid.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #14
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Quote:
Eight years before Civil War was released, don't know how many before it was planned with that quick change.
Nothing was changed. Stane was never at any point even implied to have been involved with Howard Stark's death.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #15
Smurphftw
Side-Kick

Watching one MCU movie a week(in the order they were released) until Infinty War is out. It's really fun taking the journey and watching the universe build from it's humble beginnings into the monster it is today.

Smurphftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #16
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

I think my roommate and I are going to have to do this. Right now we’re going through all the X-Men films. God was Last Stand hard to get through..

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #17
Iceman
Infinity War!

I haven’t done a full marathon in order for ages. IW and A4 seem appropriate times to do the whole thing. I’ll probably aim to do it in a week.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #18
writer0327
Side-Kick

Yeah I think I want to do this, but if I am, I'm gonna have to buy/rent five films. I have never been able to lay my hand on a copy of IM3 ever, I never bought TW or Ant-Man, and I still need GOTG2 and SM:H, although GOTG2 is on Netflix, but by the time I get around to it, it might not. Everything else, I'm set.

1. Avengers: Infinity War - 2. Mortal Engines - 3. Ant-Man and the Wasp - 4. Black Panther - 5. Solo
6. Incredibles 2 - 7. Aquaman - 8. Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald - 9. Ready Player One - 10. Rampage
writer0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #19
Iceman
Infinity War!

Aren’t the old films cheap by now? You could get a 2nd hand copy off eBay.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #20
markjoedelonge
Cap of Gotham

I'm saving everything for April. It shall be glorious. Have held off on re-watching the recent ones like GOTG 2, Ragnarok, Doctor Strange, Ant Man because I'm saving them for the marathon.

DCEU ratings: MOS (8/10) | BvS (9/10) | SS (5/10) | WW (9.5/10) | JL (7/10)
markjoedelonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #21
markjoedelonge
Cap of Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I think my roommate and I are going to have to do this. Right now we’re going through all the X-Men films. God was Last Stand hard to get through..
X-Men Origins was worse. At least The Last Stand had some decent effects.

DCEU ratings: MOS (8/10) | BvS (9/10) | SS (5/10) | WW (9.5/10) | JL (7/10)
markjoedelonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #22
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

I'm going to be doing 2-3 a week so I can finish all of them before BP comes out. I'll then watch Thor: Ragnarok again once it's out on BR in early March. I'll probably do a more limited rewatch of certain movies before IW comes out in May.

If you get hurt, hurt them back. If you die, walk it off."--Captain America
Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #23
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
Still stupid.

1. Nope.. I have no idea where you got that from but it sure as hell ain't from the MCU movies.

2. Nope. Its brilliant.

honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #24
psylockolussus
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoedelonge View Post
X-Men Origins was worse. At least The Last Stand had some decent effects.
Let's not forget Apocalypse.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #25
Iceman
Infinity War!

I won't attempt it before BP but definitely before A4 and possibly before IW. And if not a full one before IW then at least all the most important ones.