The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
phoenix_force
Side-Kick

Default the Da Vinci code to be banned from philippines?

i'm posting this cuz da vinci is x3's main competition so its better for x3 if da vinci goes down lol

Ban Da Vinci Code, says Philippine official
Wednesday May 10 7:28 AM ET

The Philippine government should ban the controversial movie "The Da Vinci Code," a senior official in the mainly Catholic country said on Wednesday, describing the religious thriller as blasphemous.
The film, based on the best-selling fiction novel of the same title, is due to open in Manila's cinemas next week.
"I think we should do everything not to allow it to be shown," said Eduardo Ermita, executive secretary to President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, expressing his personal opinion as a "devout Catholic."

He told journalists the state's censors should take a closer look at its guidelines before giving the green light to the film whose central premise is that Jesus Christ sired a child by Mary Magdalene.
More than 80 percent of the Philippines' 85 million population are Roman Catholic. Along with Malta, the Philippines is one of only two countries in the world without a divorce law and frowns on the promotion of artificial contraception.
"In the name of many like you who love and revere the Son of God made Man, I strongly appeal to you that the showing of the film 'Da Vinci Code' be banned throughout our land," said a Roman Catholic archbishop in a letter to the chief censor this week.
Ramon Arguelles of the archdiocese of Lipa, south of Manila, said the movie was an affront to Christianity, reminding the censors that the government had imposed a ban on another movie, "The Last Temptation of Christ" in the 1980s.
Ermita said Arroyo, also a devout Roman Catholic, has not made any statement on the issue. She is due to return from a four-day state visit to Saudi Arabia on Thursday. "It's something that we should not be talking about," he said, referring to the movie's storyline. "We might get struck by lightning."

Old 05-10-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
TNC9852002
Banned User

Default Re: the Da Vinci code to be banned from philippines?

Da Vinci is being banned from alot of places/audiences I've noticed...

-TNC

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!

Last edited by TNC9852002; 05-10-2006 at 10:48 AM.
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
LEX
No justice; just us.

Mmm...yay?

- Mort
LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
phoenix_force
Side-Kick

looks like x3's biggest competition is gonna be cars lol

Old 05-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
PikaZeroX
Side-Kick

I don't have much interest in The Da Vinci Code, looks as thrilling as "The Order" did.

PikaZeroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
DroolingforGwen
Side-Kick

My God... it's a freaking movie... these Catholic officials (no offense to any Catholics out there) are molesting our children but they won't allow us to watch a movie... it's really sad that people can't accept this as a work of fiction... it was an interesting novel to say the least...

DroolingforGwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
LEGO Spidey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_force
i'm posting this cuz da vinci is x3's main competition so its better for x3 if da vinci goes down lol

The Philippine government should ban the controversial movie "The Da Vinci Code," a senior official in the mainly Catholic country said on Wednesday, describing the religious thriller as blasphemous.
The film, based on the best-selling fiction novel of the same title, is due to open in Manila's cinemas next week.
"I think we should do everything not to allow it to be shown," said Eduardo Ermita, executive secretary to President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, expressing his personal opinion as a "devout Catholic."

He told journalists the state's censors should take a closer look at its guidelines before giving the green light to the film whose central premise is that Jesus Christ sired a child by Mary Magdalene.
More than 80 percent of the Philippines' 85 million population are Roman Catholic. Along with Malta, the Philippines is one of only two countries in the world without a divorce law and frowns on the promotion of artificial contraception.
"In the name of many like you who love and revere the Son of God made Man, I strongly appeal to you that the showing of the film 'Da Vinci Code' be banned throughout our land," said a Roman Catholic archbishop in a letter to the chief censor this week.
Ramon Arguelles of the archdiocese of Lipa, south of Manila, said the movie was an affront to Christianity, reminding the censors that the government had imposed a ban on another movie, "The Last Temptation of Christ" in the 1980s.
Ermita said Arroyo, also a devout Roman Catholic, has not made any statement on the issue. She is due to return from a four-day state visit to Saudi Arabia on Thursday. "It's something that we should not be talking about," he said, referring to the movie's storyline. "We might get struck by lightning."
People still believe in this stuff, in our day and age?

LEGO Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
JokerNick
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroolingforGwen
My God... it's a freaking movie... these Catholic officials (no offense to any Catholics out there) are molesting our children but they won't allow us to watch a movie... it's really sad that people can't accept this as a work of fiction... it was an interesting novel to say the least...

didn't the Nazi's burn books that they didn't agree with??? so now governments are banning movies they don't agree with, wow, I'm glad that the government decides what I can and can not watch....... FREEDOM WHAT???

JokerNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
BMM
Side-Kick

How pathetic . . . Oh well, I suppose it's good for X3.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
onejeremytogo
FANBOYS FOREVER!

Quote:
That's a bad analogy. I'm not catholic but come on. You can't point out an entire group for the wrongs of a select few. The people protesting the movie and saying "BAN" are the leaders... NOT the little priests who are molesting children. Big difference.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #11
GNR
worships John Matrix.

Quote:
Shut the hell up.You're stupid and clueless.

GNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #12
pt_photo_inc
Banned User

another great example of how religion is soooooooooo wierd. "We dont care what you think or believe. You are free to pursue your own ideas and theologies.... as long as they are our beliefs!"

that is sadly just how it is. i cant wait til my generation is holding political positions in the white house!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and all across the world in general!

2045= the end of crazy religious freaks in power

pt_photo_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:06 AM   #13
CHObiWan
Side-Kick

Man, the da Vinci Code book is awsome. It's just so well written. I'm seeing both, X-MEn and da Vinci. They're both gonna be great, unless Cyclops dies. Then da Vinci Code will only be great. But I also have Superman to look forward to.

CHObiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:10 AM   #14
Supreme Power
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_photo_inc
another great example of how religion is soooooooooo wierd. "We dont care what you think or believe. You are free to pursue your own ideas and theologies.... as long as they are our beliefs!"

that is sadly just how it is. i cant wait til my generation is holding political positions in the white house!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and all across the world in general!

2045= the end of crazy religious freaks in power
Nice one man, real freakin nice.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:11 AM   #15
ShadowBoxing
Banned User

I am glad because the Philippines is obviously where FOX hopes to score big time with X3.

ShadowBoxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:19 AM   #16
turtlenation
Side-Kick

hey, I'm filipino not catholic though but i think they should show the movie. it'd be ignorance if they go ahead with the banning. it's just a movie based perhaps on fiction or another person's version of the truth.
i've read the book which ironically didn't get as much censure from these people.

And not everyone in the Philippines is Catholic.

let the people have the right to choose!

turtlenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:51 AM   #17
N_z0
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHObiWan
Man, the da Vinci Code book is awsome. It's just so well written.
Is that sarcasm? or did you really think it was well written. I'm not saying you're not free to hold that opinion but i just found it weird that you would like the writing on this book so much you find the need to point it out. Everyone i know, and online reviews i've read, although they might like the concept and are great supporters of the book, seem to agree that Dan Brown can't write even if his life depended on it.

N_z0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:58 AM   #18
Strgts
Banned User

I guess The Da Vinci Code only real chance to make Money is in the U.S.

Strgts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:24 AM   #19
pt_photo_inc
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlenation
hey, I'm filipino not catholic though but i think they should show the movie. it'd be ignorance if they go ahead with the banning. it's just a movie based perhaps on fiction or another person's version of the truth.
i've read the book which ironically didn't get as much censure from these people.

And not everyone in the Philippines is Catholic.

let the people have the right to choose!

i am sorry man... i dont know how a country can ban a movie? that is just... well you said it best... ignorant. this is a good example of "PROPER REASONS FOR ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING".

Old 05-11-2006, 03:26 AM   #20
pt_photo_inc
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_z0
Is that sarcasm? or did you really think it was well written. I'm not saying you're not free to hold that opinion but i just found it weird that you would like the writing on this book so much you find the need to point it out. Everyone i know, and online reviews i've read, although they might like the concept and are great supporters of the book, seem to agree that Dan Brown can't write even if his life depended on it.
well if it was sarcasm then over half the country and a lot of the world was on the same page since it was the best seller for about the whole year... it was on there somewhere... and now it is climbing again with a paper back release! hate it like it... dont matter, cause only a fool can deny it.

and when making a strong opinion... words like EVERYONE I KNOW... dont mean sh*it.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:20 AM   #21
invincible mann
Side-Kick

da vinci will do fine
the controversy will help

invincible mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:26 AM   #22
pt_photo_inc
Banned User

any news is good news

Old 05-11-2006, 07:10 AM   #23
silver_arrow
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_force

What else does Da Vinci Code's offer when the codes have already been decoded in the book? It's not like Harry Potter where the fans just want to know how the magic is played on the big screen. I don't think all of those who read the book and had their curiousity sufficed would still consider watching it.

--Guess who's the new mutant in town?

Member of the Avenging Angels
silver_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #24
Sunstar
Child of Sun and Star

The Philipines banning DVC isn't going to hurt it's success! This film is looking to be big in the rest of the world! I don't think Ron Howard is shivering in his boots over this news!lol

Sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #25
Odin's Lapdog
Side-Kick

surely the banning is just going to help it being sold on pirate.

didn't they also ban playboy?

why don't i feel, my Skin should crack and peel?
I want the
Fire back...

If you want to PM me, please send it to November RAIN. Odin's Lapdog's pm box is full
Odin's Lapdog is offline   Reply With Quote