The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Returns

View Poll Results: How good was Superman Returns?
10 265 26.77%
9 201 20.30%
8 163 16.46%
7 101 10.20%
6 70 7.07%
5 52 5.25%
4 26 2.63%
3 22 2.22%
2 22 2.22%
1 68 6.87%
Voters: 990. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2006, 04:03 AM   #3551
Lt. Figgnuts
Back...from the graaaave!

Default Re: Official Rate and Review Superman Returns thread!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1096
you are right but he knew it was Luthor and didn't Luthor use it before on him?
Well, to be fair, when the island is all gray and stuff like that, I doubt that Superman would assume that a bulk of the land mass was Kryptonite. Maybe he expected Luthor himself to have some Kryptonite, but I don't think expecting him to assume that the island itself was made up of Kryptonite is a fair expectation. He couldn't have known.

Lt. Figgnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:04 AM   #3552
Lt. Figgnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Lord
Newspapers routinely create headlines before the actual event takes place for stories that could go either way.
Yep. "Dewey Defeats Truman" (not the exact same situation, but similar).

Old 06-28-2006, 04:06 AM   #3553
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Something wierd happened on my way to the movie...I forgot all the spoilers and went in with a totally open mind. I was really jazzed with the movie, but the ending was wistful and not explaining the conception of Jason or alluding to more than it was...well...I feel that was a mistake. I'm sure the DVD may expound on this, but...well I still thought the movie was very good.

charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:09 AM   #3554
Fatboy Roberts
Side-Kick

Pacing was definitely a problem. While the movie seems to pretty much jump along right in Donner's footsteps almost every bit of the way, the problems are flip-flopped. Where Donner's pacing failed him as soon as Clark hit Metropolis, and the tone got way too comical and corny, Singer's pacing fails UNTIL Clark hits Metropolis, and then the movie stays a little too strait-laced and somber

Things that surprised me:

Lois' beatdown. That was sorta rough to watch.
Superman's beatdown. That was REALLY rough to watch. The animal, desperate noises coming out of Superman surprised me.
The Humor never felt forced. Spacey's reveal to Lois was pitch perfect.

I'm gonna stick it right up there next to Donner's. Better than Superman II. But it's not by a longshot anything approaching a perfect movie. Or even a great one. Neither is the first, at least not to me, not anymore, not divorced from the nostalgia with which I happily throw the dvd in, until the goodwill of nostalgia runs out and I'm left with raw, pure movie to drink in. the 78 movie grew stale. This one gets bland.

I didn't have any problems with the kid, however. One of the few key emotional moments in the movie happens when the kid very matter of factly, simply says "I like him." And that hit rather well. Finely directed moment. Also when he almost breaks down while apologizing to Lois in the bowels of the ship. Not bad for the little brat, scoring two of the most true-feeling emotional moments in the movie.

Sam Huntington also came out of this like a champ. I wish Routh had a little more to do, but what he did, he sold perfectly. I prefer his Clark Kent, actually, to Reeve's. And the Supermans are pretty close, too. Spacey lives for this sort of role, and I'm glad he's back playing a quality villain. Parker Posey didn't annoy me (and also managed to deftly underline, very matter-of-factly, how wrong it is to see Superman brutalized as he was) and James Marsden packed 3 times the impact into his one Superman movie than he did his entire X-Men oeuvre.

I ended up giving it a 7. I'd have given it a 7.5 but there's no option for that. It just has too many serious pacing problems to truly transcend. But then again--I had that problem with X-Men. and then Singer hit us with X-Men 2. So hopefully we get the same sort of jump in about 3 years.

But this will most definitely do for now.

Last edited by Fatboy Roberts; 06-28-2006 at 04:45 AM.
Fatboy Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:09 AM   #3555
War Lord
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Figgnuts
Yep. "Dewey Defeats Truman" (not the exact same situation, but similar).
Exactly or where that one hockey magazine had already published Carolina having won the Stanley cup because of the first two games, despite that fact that Edmonton came very close to doing it.

War Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:09 AM   #3556
Smash!!!

I really like the whole Supes Throwing the Island into Space and falling back to earth almost dead, it was kinda poetic in a way, but then the whole Louis whispering in his ear in the hospital.... and finally he and his son.. I just didn't like that part. Supes should not have a son, it would have worked alot better without it. I did geek for the fly over at the end though.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 AM   #3557
TG1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Figgnuts
Well, to be fair, when the island is all gray and stuff like that, I doubt that Superman would assume that a bulk of the land mass was Kryptonite. Maybe he expected Luthor himself to have some Kryptonite, but I don't think expecting him to assume that the island itself was made up of Kryptonite is a fair expectation. He couldn't have known.
Yes he should have....

1- He knows Lex is out per this film
2- He knows Lex has used it on him before..
3- He knows what the crystals do, they are his fraking crystals.. (he made the home with them)
4- He knows Lex stole the rock out of the musium.
5- He's not dumb

Or is he?

Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 AM   #3558
Tron5000
Side-Kick

All of this "mind wipe" talk is ridiculous. Remember, the first 2 films are used as a "vague history" for this one. That means they take certain elements of those films that can be used to set up storylines in this new franchise. Hence, not EVERY SINGLE THING that occurred in those films is going to be considered canon for the new ones. Also, I'm sure Superman and Lois spent some time together that is not accounted for in the first 2 films. Those movies equal, what, 4 hours? I bet they spent a little more than 4 hours together. They could've gotten it on more than once.

Don't let those little nitpicky things bug you. Notice they didn't mention Zod in this film. "Wait! Why didn't they say anything about Zod? I thought SII was a prequel to this!" See where I'm going here?

Is today Jimmy Shaker day?
Tron5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 AM   #3559
Lt. Figgnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash!!!
Supes should not have a son, it would have worked alot better without it. I did geek for the fly over at the end though.
I don't mind so much, as long as it stays in the continuity of the films. If they try and have Lois get preggers in the comics so they can cash in on the (possible) success of the film, I will be dissapointed.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 AM   #3560
War Lord
Banned User

Quote:
Yes he should have....

1- He knows Lex is out per this film
2- He knows Lex has used it on him before..
3- He knows what the crystals do, they are his fraking crystals.. (he made the home with them)
5- He's not dumb

Or is he?
Superman routinely underestimates his opponents, because of his optimism.

He knew that Lex stole the crystals, but there was no way for him to know what the island was made of, especially since he was just above it when he rescued Lois and didn't suffer any ill effects.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 AM   #3561
Thot
Side-Kick

I bought my tickets days in advance and was at the theater a full hour early to get the best seats possible. The lights went down, the movie began. Over two hours later, I left the theater disappointed. Routh is good as Superman. The cast is o.k. The special effects were top notch. The story was rather dull and took FOREVER to unfold. The cold, colorless world of Superman Returns was depressing. The whole Richard/Lois/kid thing didn't work at all for me. Too damn serious and convoluted. And The KID, holy crap don't get me started. HATED the freaking kid angle. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we now get to look forward to the next two or three Superman films watching Super-Tyke grow up and learn of his powers and maybe fly around Metropolis with Super-Dad!! Argggh! The suit looked good on film. Needs a redesign though. The too small \S/ and manties didn't work well. Superman goes to the ER seemed kinda odd. Just couldn't process that one. I'd give the flick a "C". I'm not excited at all about any sequels. This one popped my balloon. Superman just wasn't "super" enough for me. Bosworth doesn't work too well as Lois Lane for me either. I think I'll pop in Batman Begins or Spiderman 1 or 2 to wash this one out of my brain. Heck,..I'll go one WAY better, I'll watch Superman: The Movie and all will be well!

Thot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 AM   #3562
Lt. Figgnuts

Quote:
Ah, yes, but did he know that -

1.) That the rock had Kryptonite? My impression from that scene was that the Green K was hidden within the rock, which is a.) why the nameplate said nothing about Kryptonite in the description, and b.) why Lex had to use his crazy eye-glass thing.

2.) That Lex could use the crystal in combination with the Green K to create a Kryptonite-laced landmass?

You may also remember that, in S:TM, Clark didn't so much "use the crystal to build the Fortress" as he did throw the crystal in mild frustration and the crystal just happened to spring into the Fortress.

I think you're assuming Superman had a bit more knowledge than he did. I still hold that Superman couldn't have been expected to assume that the island itself was partially made out of Kryptonite.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:16 AM   #3563
Whack Arnolds
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thot
I bought my tickets days in advance and was at the theater a full hour early to get the best seats possible. The lights went down, the movie began. Over two hours later, I left the theater disappointed. Routh is good as Superman. The cast is o.k. The special effects were top notch. The story was rather dull and took FOREVER to unfold. The cold, colorless world of Superman Returns was depressing. The whole Richard/Lois/kid thing didn't work at all for me. Too damn serious and convoluted. And The KID, holy crap don't get me started. HATED the freaking kid angle. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we now get to look forward to the next two or three Superman films watching Super-Tyke grow up and learn of his powers and maybe fly around Metropolis with Super-Dad!! Argggh! The suit looked good on film. Needs a redesign though. The too small \S/ and manties didn't work well. Superman goes to the ER seemed kinda odd. Just couldn't process that one. I'd give the flick a "C". I'm not excited at all about any sequels. This one popped my balloon. Superman just wasn't "super" enough for me. Bosworth doesn't work too well as Lois Lane for me either. I think I'll pop in Batman Begins or Spiderman 1 or 2 to wash this one out of my brain. Heck,..I'll go one WAY better, I'll watch Superman: The Movie and all will be well!
Repped. Superman Returns was SuperBland.

Whack Arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:17 AM   #3564
Lt. Figgnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron5000
Don't let those little nitpicky things bug you. Notice they didn't mention Zod in this film. "Wait! Why didn't they say anything about Zod? I thought SII was a prequel to this!" See where I'm going here?
Actually, Singer wanted Zod to appear in this movie. He wanted Jude Law to play Zod, but when he was unavailable he scrapped the character entirely...

Old 06-28-2006, 04:17 AM   #3565
War Lord
Banned User

Quote:
I was able to buy my tickets just hours before the movie and I could have bought them about an hour before the movie and been all right.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:21 AM   #3566
Smash!!!

Quote:

I can see where you are coming from, alot of what you say is spot on, but there is enough good stuff( Supes Flying sequences, Routh as Supes homage to Reeves) to offset the bad for me. Is this better than SI, or SII in my book? No, Not even close, but in the overall series it's still 3rd, and it's s fairly good film. I really can't even begin to imagine how they are going to go about the sequels, because that kid will take the focus away from Supes, and thats bad, because this Routh Guy can be the Focal Point I.E. Reeves, if given the chance.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:21 AM   #3567
CGHulk
Green Guy

Superman Returns is a very good film! Chris Reeve played Superman, but Brandon Routh is Superman from my collective consciousness of who the character is, he even looks like Superman in the comics than anyone who has played the character before, in my opinion. I cried during the scene when Lois was with Superman at the hospital, not just because it was a touching scene, it's because Superman was laying in that bed, As I was crying I knew Superman was back! For a sequel I'd like to see the cape to be red on the outside of it, not just the inside of it, also an awesome Supervillain. Let there be Brainiac! I want the 3 hour version of the film with Superman's spaceship flying around the remains of Krypton, and all the scenes on the farm.

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 06-28-2006 at 04:23 AM.
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:26 AM   #3568
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Okay...I'm a little torn because...well there were a lot of things I didn't like in the movie, but I still liked the movie.

I loved the opening shots and the credits were old school, and I did feel like I had been transported back to my childhood. I didn't love the opening scene with Lex and I would have liked to have seen Kal hurtling in his space ship as the very first character shot, but the Lex scene played well. Plus, Noel was wonderful. As soon as I heard her voice I was transported again to my childhood and watching AOS.

The beginning felt rushed, but I'm undecided if there should have been more scenes with Martha or less. Routh has the most chemistry with Bosworth, so it was best to hook them up sooner rather than later. I wasn't really feeling the Martha/Clark talk, but maybe that will be rectified in the DVD.

I LOVED the FX. SR heat vision is the way to go. I liked how it was sort of a combo of the laser and SV heat blast effect. Also, most of the flying shots were great...better than great. There were a few that looked wire-y, but it wasn't bad.

All the actors did a good job. No one really stood out, and that's a bit of an issue because I didn't get the total vibe of Superman-coolness from Routh until the end. I guess he was still getting broken in earlier in the movie. I definitely hope the next movie give him more than ten lines. He seemed really short shrifted in the dialogue department.

Lastly, the only thing I truly didn't like was the ending. I was very wistful and...that's all I'm going to say. I know this is set up for the sequels, but it was a wistful way to end a Superman movie. Also, the lack of Jason's conception and the prior relationship between Supes and Lois wasn't handled very well. There should have been more exposition on that. Again, hopefully the DVD will clear that up.

Dont get me wrong. I really liked this movie and I'll see it again at least two more times. But...well...I'm hoping for a bit more punch in the next movie, and if I have to keep saying that the DVD will expound on this than there were elements missing that should have been left in.

edit:

I can't see how anyone is still thinking we are going to get Sky High after watching SR. C'mon...he flew off at the end...alone. And from the looks of he'll be doing a lot of that in the future...le sigh.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 06-28-2006 at 04:28 AM.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:39 AM   #3569
Smash!!!

I really liked the film because of the fact that Supes actually risked his life, death was a real possibility here, and that made for great drama especially with his "Good Bye Lois". I didn't like the fact that the kid could whack a thug with a piano or tremble at the sight of kryptonite causing Lex to ask " Who's that Kid Father" I hate that, it detracts from our title character, especially now that there is a good Supes. Had we got a poor Supes, it wouldn't have been so bad, but to have that kid now, it detracts from what could/should be a good Supes. Now all people are going to ask is where is the kid in his development, and cause others to ponder he stepping into his fathers shoes , which is totally crap.

People don't come to the movies to see son of Supes they come to see Supes, which leaves me scratching my head about the sequels.

BTW# Did any of you here the Cities on the News were Supes was reported to have been doing good deeds, I could have swore they mentioned Gotham as one of the cities... That couldn't set well with The Bat.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:40 AM   #3570
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??

Thumbs up Re: Official Rate and Review Superman Returns thread!!!

SR has delievered more than I expect. Routh did a great job in the role, especially the emotional scene at the end of him as Supes with the kid. I really didn't know he has it in him with that scene. He already owned that pretty boy on some teeny booper tv show. Forgot the name of that show thought.

Bosworth, Spacey, Hunnington, & almost everyone done their roles perfect. The audiences at my theater applause many times in the beginning, middle, & the end of SR. SR will be a big hit. Bet on it.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:43 AM   #3571
Tron5000
Side-Kick

"Statistically speaking, flying is still the safest way to travel..." Awesome.

Is today Jimmy Shaker day?
Tron5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:52 AM   #3572
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

I've come back from watching this movie. I found it too long and boring. It lacked a strong direction and was overdrawn in many scenes.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:53 AM   #3573
Comic Book Boy
Producer/Writer/Director

Why are all you guys complaining about the pacing? Those hours flew by.

Comic Book Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:56 AM   #3574
Kane

Hey Weyseed, why the heck did you give the film a 1?

Did you really hate it that much?

Old 06-28-2006, 05:04 AM   #3575
Supermanila
Side-Kick

well... I've seen it, but I'm not rating it yet, I'll be seeing it tomorrow on IMAX 3D before I rate it, till then...all I can say is I liked the movie, a lot, but it's not perfect...

The flying scenes were great! But I don't like Routh's landing from his flying scenes, Chris Reeve just did his landings so well, so gracefully, Routh's landing looked a bit too controlled by wire.

The action scenes were great as well. The plane sequence was not as long as I thought it would be, but it was really great. I loved the moment when Supes went it to check if the passengers were alright, and when he went out, people in the baseball stadium cheered loud, that scene gave me goosebumps! Loved it! But I felt he could've done more in the final act, like saving more people, doing more superfeats. There wasn't enough, a couple of saves, a use of superbreath, and that's almost about it. It would've been great to see more...

The acting was good overall. I liked Brandon's Superman more than his Clark. His Clark was a bit too plain for me, didn't really do much, but his Superman exudes the confidence needed to portray the role.

I didn't see Kate as too young, she portrayed the role pretty well. Sam was good, James Marsden was pretty good too.

My main concern is actually the direction that they will be going to for the sequel. As many of you already know, they made some decisions here that's pretty hard to neglect. For the sequel, I want to see a supervillain now, I want to see Superman go over the top, it's time to see what Superman can do in the comics, not just what he can do/has been doing in past movies. And I fear that the kid might make it a little awkward. I just hope they planned the sequel well, I hope Singer wasn't looking at a one-shot deal.

Looking forward to the IMAX screening tomorrow, if I would rate it now, I would say 8-8.5/10, could go up, could go down...

Supermanila is offline   Reply With Quote