The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 07-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #251
gerbstat
Side-Kick

Default Re: Q & A w/Jon Favreau from his Myspace site!

Last edited by gerbstat; 08-17-2006 at 07:44 PM.
gerbstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:28 AM   #252
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Cool Re: Q & A w/Jon Favreau from his Myspace site!

Quote:
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 12:08 PM

LoganWrote:
couple of questions Jon

1. Will Tony inherit his forturne a la Lex Luthor, or will we see him earn his fortune throughout the course of the film?

2. The classic Kill Bill question: Is Tony Stark's pretending to be Iron Man or is Iron Man pretending to be Tony Stark?

just thought i would ask. good luck with the film. i know it will be a success

Jon Favreau:

1. Inherits
2. Tony is the dominant personality.
Quote:
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 12:11 PM

Scott TK-7971Wrote:
I know it starts in Afghanistan, but wouldn't a fictional Middle Eastern State be better? I mean wouldn't it date the movie eventually or am I reading too much into it.

It's minor I know, but I was curious.

Scott

TK-7971

Neon City Garrison

Jon Favreau:

You make a very good point and one that we've been wrestling with. Is it better to keep the specifics of geography a bit ambiguous in order to afford us more leeway in the storytelling? I think a balance needs to be struck between reality and comic book fantasy. The books were always non-specific while alluding to definitive aspects of our collective cultural subconscious. Stark was visiting a "non-specific Asian/American conflict" in the mid-sixties. This might be the way to go for the movie as well.
Quote:
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 12:26 PM

ChuckWrote:
Hi Jon,

I'm excited to see your version of Iron Man. I was really suprised at your directing chops with Elf and Zathura. Those really reminded me of 80's adventure movies I loved as a kid. I hope Iron Man is the same type of film.

Anyway, I just hope you take the following into consideration. I know you announced Mandrin as the villan. Please don't use some guy who can't speak english as Mandrin. I know he's suppose to be Chinese, but it really turns me off to see some guy who's suppose to be asian always played off as this stereotyped bad accented, kung fu kicking, fortune telling, obnoxious, emasulated wienie of a man who no woman would be interested in. Please have someone who can

a) speak english without a bad accent

b) look evil and scary without looking like a wussy

c) be cool in his own way

I'd volunteer myself, but there are a few actors out there who I think can do it. Unfortunately I don't know any of their names. So that's no help. I wish I knew the name of this one actor who is sometimes in sketches on Mind of Mencia who plays straight man in most of the skits. He's got a good look for a villan and doesn't fall into the stereotype of most asian guys in movies.

So my point is just, don't play Mandrin as the super asian stereotype as in the comics. Create a new image of Mandrin. Most people don't know who Mandrin is anyway. I doubt even the most geeky of comic book fans know who the Mandrin really is or even have any feelings one way or another on the character.

Jon Favreau:

I'm glad that I set up this group for no reason other than to answer questions like these.

We live in a different society than when the Mandarin was originally conceived. We in no way want to prepetuate any ridiculous stereotypes. The aspect of the Mandarin that is appealing to us is his mysterious and formidible nature. He is the most powerful and definitive of the Iron Man villians. He also allows us to weave in other fan pleasing "personalities" as he is a mastermind and not simply a brutish thug. The Mandarin presents the best opportuntity to write a complex and colorful character. It has always been my feeling that the villian is the most fun character to play, write for, and watch. If we create a great character, a great actor will hopefully follow. These are our goals.

I happen to think that any portrayal of this villian similar to the early books would be comical at best and offensive at worst. Neither result is what we are going for. I hope to update the paradigm and create a character who is a villian because of what he does, not where he's from or what he looks like.

Quote:
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 12:36 PM

Advanced DarkWrote:
Hey Jon you're gonna love this. LOL

This is cirulating around the web right now. True? BS? No comment?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Cinescape website:

Scooper Shan wrote me today from the Comic Con with a scoop regarding the possibility of Tom Cruise still being involved in IRON MAN.

Shan wrote:

Hey Guys,

I was at Comic Con on Saturday for the MARVEL Panel. I might even have a scoop for you that WASN'T announced from anyone on the panel. I sat a row behind two of the guys from Paramount - I knew they were from Paramount because they had call sheets, or itineraries of the panel, with Paramount logos all over them and kept mentioning 'the time''.

There was a woman too - and they were talking amongst themselves once the IRON MAN stuff got underway. All I heard was this "I believe Tom Cruise has got it in the bag, yeah". That's what one of them said to the other. I swear. I remember Cruise rumors a few years back about this, but didn't know he still in the mix? I don't know how much these people would know, but I think it's still very interesting nonetheless.

Shan.

Well there you have it! Could Cruise still be involved? If it means anything, Shan is a constant scooper for Cinescape, and not just a random bird flying around my apartment!

Favreau has said that he is looking for a relative unknown for the part, but time will tell. Thanks Shan for the heads up!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note SHH suggests we won't hear anything official if it was true likely until Tom extends his deal w/Paramount.

Jon Favreau:

If by "in the bag" they mean drunk, I think they're referring to Mr. Gibson in Malibu.

I've never even met Tom Cruise, though I do think he is a great actor. He doesn't seem to fit with what Marvel is looking for at this time, but you never know what will happen. The rumor is false as far as I know.
;

Like that. I ask the right questions huh?

Advanced Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #253
antoszm

Hey Jon;
I'm a big fan of Iron Man since it first appeared in the early sixties. I still prefer the old armor, esp. the grey one... there was a better sense of plausibility as compared to current alien-enhanced nanotechnology. But that's just me. I also enjoyed to ongoing theme of needing to recharge the armour to keep the shrapnel out of his heart... a sense of him becoming trapped in the armor.
From this, I have 2 questions:
a) Will we at least see the original armour (oh and while I'm thinking of it his voice needs to be altered; hearing Julian McMahon's voice while in the Doom armour kinda fell flat)?
b) Are you planning on an armor-dependency theme?
Thanks and good luck.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:15 PM   #254
Screenscribe
Side-Kick

Hi Jon.

Thanks for taking the questions....

as a writer myself I know what has to be wrestled with trying to juggle what the studio wants, what the fans want to see and what story I want to tell. My work with animation and about 8 days on Superman Lives back in 1993 help extend by well wishes for you taking on this project.

from the little I've seen and from your choice of villian, it seems that you are trying to go for a more human story than the obvious Technology vs Technolgy slugfest. My question is with a more retro villain (who is more recognizable to classic fans rather then current/Ultimate line fans) what type of story momentum are you going for to keep audiences interested? without spoiling the plot, what is Iron Man/Tony doing here? Will it be a full fledged origin or are his motivations established? An Iron Man/Tony that readers know or a whole new take on the classic character?

Screenscribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:23 PM   #255
YJ1
Armed and Dangerous

"I've never even met Tom Cruise, though I do think he is a great actor. He doesn't seem to fit with what Marvel is looking for at this time, but you never know what will happen. The rumor is false as far as I know."

Not exactly the "NO WAY IN HELL" comment I was looking for.

It seems to me like he wants to keep the door open for some reason. These are shifty courtroom type answers. "I've never even met Tom Cruise" (Not meeting the guy face to face doesn't mean that he's not being considered) "The rumor is false as far as I know." The rumor is false or the notion that Cruise is still being considered is false? Plausible deniability here.

Whatever happens, I hope they keep Tom Cruise far away from this and every Marvel project.

YJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #256
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ1
"I've never even met Tom Cruise, though I do think he is a great actor. He doesn't seem to fit with what Marvel is looking for at this time, but you never know what will happen. The rumor is false as far as I know."

Not exactly the "NO WAY IN HELL" comment I was looking for.

It seems to me like he wants to keep the door open for some reason. These are shifty courtroom type answers. "I've never even met Tom Cruise" (Not meeting the guy face to face doesn't mean that he's not being considered) "The rumor is false as far as I know." The rumor is false or the notion that Cruise is still being considered is false? Plausible deniability here.

Whatever happens, I hope they keep Tom Cruise far away from this and every Marvel project.
He wants to keep the door open because it's not his place to say he's ruled out BEFORE Marvel rules him out. Marvel's in charge.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:43 PM   #257
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Anto & Screenscribe,

Jon is not answering questions here. I'm just taking the Q & A's from his myspace site and posting them here for all the SHH members to sift through quickly while they chat here. You can talk to jon at his Iron Man Forums site. See the first post in this thread for the link. Or just go here:

http://groups.myspace.com/ironmanmovie

Old 07-31-2006, 04:53 PM   #258
COME ON !
Christian Bale's sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Dark
He wants to keep the door open because it's not his place to say he's ruled out BEFORE Marvel rules him out. Marvel's in charge.
Do they have the final say on casting too ?

COME ON ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:08 PM   #259
Rod

Quote:
;

Like that. I ask the right questions huh?
Hi, Jonh.
I'm a big fan. And I'm one of the biggest Iron Man's fans in Brazil and I have a question:
The Mandarin is goin' to be a phisical challenge to Iron Man or just the evil mastermind?
The thing that i didn't like about the Superman Returns is that we didn't see the Last Son... fighting.
I think that the armor would look great beeting the s@#* out of someone.

Thanks, man.
Good luck.
See ya.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:27 PM   #260
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Jon Favreau Does Not Post Here! These Are Quotes From His Myspace Iron Man Forum. Fyi

Old 07-31-2006, 06:38 PM   #261
COME ON !
Christian Bale's sidekick

Haha, let's see if they get the message now

COME ON ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:50 PM   #262
speedracer216
I ate lunch with Nolan

good work avanced dark

speedracer216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 AM   #263
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Aw shucks!

<blushes and covers face>

Old 08-01-2006, 02:31 AM   #264
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Jon has updated his myspace page:

Looks sleek now: http://www.myspace.com/jonfavreau

Old 08-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #265
WallCrawl
Side-Kick

Quote:
It sounds like it's just a diplomatic way of saying no to me.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #266
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

anybody heard anything about the score and/or soundtrack?

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:51 PM   #267
Son Of Logan
Weapon X

AD, have you asked Favs for confirmation on the Terrence Howard offer?

Son Of Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #268
Nightwing 52
Things change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle
anybody heard anything about the score and/or soundtrack?
No, there hasn't been anything about the soundtrack yet. Although there are people on Favreau's group, suggesting certain types of music. And I'm sure AD could ask, if Favreau has anyone specific in mind.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #269
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Wasn't that answered above.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:04 PM   #270
Chris B
Side-Kick

Like I said earlier, I am not registered at MySpace, but would it be possible for anyone that is to ask Favreau the following questions:

1. Will the Mandarin still have his rings, though with a more realistic explanation?
2. Since he confirmned this himself in the AICN interview, how large of a role will Obadiah Stane have?

Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #271
Advanced Dark
Banned User

^ It's posted there now.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #272
Cinemaman
Side-Kick

AD, can you ask him about Mandarin's look. Will JF use Mandarin's version from comics or he will create his own vision?

And will Stark have physic problems?

Last edited by Cinemaman; 08-03-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Cinemaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #273
Chris B
Side-Kick

Thumbs up Re: Q & A w/Jon Favreau from his Myspace site!

Quote:
^ It's posted there now.
Thanks a lot.

Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #274
Advanced Dark
Banned User

You'll be lucky to get an answer now as they're in the middle of casting.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #275
Cinemaman
Side-Kick

^^^

So can you ask him about my questions?