The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Returns

Old 08-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #26
Superman \S/
Side-Kick

Default Re: SR fans......its the little things........

Everything in SR was perfect. My only complaints was the kid.

The Immortal Iron Fist
Superman
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
JLA!

"Strong, Powerful, Invincible. Superman is a hero we can all look up to. To find him, all you need is to look up in the sky."

\S/
Superman \S/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #27
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I didnt think the kid was bad

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #28
Kabuki_Jo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage
It's about a being coming from another world to save another. It's about heroism and doing the right thing. At the same time, it's also about someone who protects a race of people that he wants to be part of, but never will, even if he does walk among them.
In the words of Lex Luthor: he's an alien who flies around in a red cape, who's got his own set of morals...and Singer's screwed up by making him too human...

Kabuki_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #29
Spoarz™
Auteur Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON
Thanks, but you have pointed out two scenes that i cant believe i didnt add to my list, especially the first one you mentioned, i loved that scene.

Both your scene's and mine are the types of scene that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
Exactly, I get the same feeling, it's probably the reason I like them so much. They are such subtle moments in comparison to some scenes, yet they can be so memorable and quite moving.

The scene after he goes to visit Lois (and 'spies' on her apparently ) is brilliant yet so sad. It's just the whole realisation of how the only person on the entire planet that he has ever truly loved and connected with didn't love him, and how he feels more alone than ever. Just wonderful.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Spoarz™; 08-21-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Spoarz™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #30
Substance D
Side-Kick

Quote:
......that make me love this movie, i dont know about other SR fans but i'll give a few examples of what i mean:

Lois looking out the window of the plane and seeing Supes zoom by.

The God-like music when Superman flys through the second wing.

When Clarke drops his glasses at the planet and Lois gives him them back without looking up, and his subsequent look when putting them back on.

"You wrote that the world doesnt need a saviour, but every day i hear people crying for one."

Superman floating in space listening out for a cry for help.

The look Superman gives Kitty through the back window of her car when he saves her.

Superman fighting back against Lex on New Krypton despite not having his powers.

His journey above the clouds to be bathed in sunlight (i especially love this moment).

His fall from the sky and the people of Metropolis stood totally still watching it.

The needle bending in the hospital when they try to treat him.

Jason's kiss to Superman's head while he sleeps in hospital.

And his emotional speech to Jason while he slept.

I think it is these little parts that make Superman Returns a really good movie, and not the huge action sequences, though they are great. Its these little things that give the movie the heart it has. Anyone else agree?
um... they could have had huge action sequences and interesting plot in conjunction with all those things. singer's inability to balance the little things with the bigs things what made this movie fail.

Substance D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:00 AM   #31
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoarz_tm
Exactly, I get the same feeling, it's probably the reason I like them so much. They are such subtle moments in comparison to some scenes, yet they can be so memorable and quite moving.

The scene after he goes to visit Lois (and 'spies' on her apparently ) is brilliant yet so sad. It's just the whole realisation of how the only person on the entire planet that he has ever truly loved and connected with didn't love him, and how he feels more alone than ever. Just wonderful. :up:
Thats definately how i saw that scene, it made me truly feel sorry for Superman

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #32
y2jversion1
Side-Kick

Though I was disappointed in the film overall - here's what I liked:

"You wrote that the world doesnt need a saviour, but every day i hear people crying for one."

His journey above the clouds to be bathed in sunlight (i especially love this moment).

His fall from the sky and the people of Metropolis stood totally still watching it.

www.batman-news.com - the BEST resource for Batman film related news. Period.
y2jversion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:24 AM   #33
Superman \S/
Side-Kick

Quote:
I didnt think the kid was bad
Well having the kid might serve a purpose after all. In Action Comics or is it Superman? Clark and Lois make a life changing decision. It might be them having a kid...

The Immortal Iron Fist
Superman
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
JLA!

"Strong, Powerful, Invincible. Superman is a hero we can all look up to. To find him, all you need is to look up in the sky."

\S/
Superman \S/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #34
kalelinri
Side-Kick

Quote:
......that make me love this movie, i dont know about other SR fans but i'll give a few examples of what i mean:

When Clarke drops his glasses at the planet and Lois gives him them back without looking up, and his subsequent look when putting them back on.

The look Superman gives Kitty through the back window of her car when he saves her.

Superman fighting back against Lex on New Krypton despite not having his powers.

I think it is these little parts that make Superman Returns a really good movie, and not the huge action sequences, though they are great. Its these little things that give the movie the heart it has. Anyone else agree?
you forgot all the comedic parts all mostly include jimmy.
BURRITOS,

ive done superman, i mean i covered him

the cake,

his photographs

and JASON parts it in also

him lookin at supes on the tv and then clark

they way he spoke just fitted perfectly

the inhaler

all awesome parts that helped make this move awesome

kalelinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #35
gimmen64
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelinri
you forgot all the comedic parts all mostly include jimmy.
BURRITOS,

ive done superman, i mean i covered him

the cake,

his photographs

and JASON parts it in also

him lookin at supes on the tv and then clark

they way he spoke just fitted perfectly

the inhaler

all awesome parts that helped make this move awesome

yep, I have to agree. It was the little things that made SR a great movie! I can't wait for the DVD!

http://www.myspace.com/someguyinelpaso
gimmen64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #36
Sarcasm
Side-Kick

Quote:

I gotta agree with you....I loved SR and not only for the big action sequences, but these moments as well. This list is why fanboys don't get SR.....fanboys would be more content having Jackie Chan portray Superman and have him spin kick everyone in the face for 2 hours. Further, I think fanboys are more intersted in the inner workings of the pre and post movie process than the movie itself. They love the speculation prior to the movie, the posting on the boards, the challenge of debating and the endless nerding out over accounting minutia both pre and post movie.....and yes somewhere in there they make time to catch the movie in theaters.....not for the sake of enjoyment, but merely for adding ammunition to their posting arsenal....the actual "enjoyment of the movie" has little to do with why "fanboys" and "haters who hate just to hate" do what they do on a daily basis. It's kinda sad, kinda weird and completely dismissable behavior.

Last edited by Sarcasm; 08-21-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Sarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #37
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm
I gotta agree with you....I loved SR and not only for the big action sequences, but these moments as well. This list is why fanboys don't get SR.....fanboys would be more content having Jackie Chan portray Superman and have him spin kick everyone in the face for 2 hours. Further, I think fanboys are more intersted in the inner workings of the pre and post movie process than the movie itself. They love the speculation prior to the movie, the posting on the boards, the challenge of debating and the endless nerding out over accounting minutia both pre and post movie.....and yes somewhere in there they make time to catch the movie in theaters.....not for the sake of enjoyment, but merely for adding ammunition to their posting arsenal....the actual "enjoyment of the movie" has little to do with why "fanboys" and "haters who hate just to hate" do what they do on a daily basis. It's kinda sad, kinda weird and completely dismissable behavior.

You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human. Ergo, some of "fanboys" or "haters" answers you will understand, and some of them you will not. Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant. You are here because the Superman Returns franchise is about to be destroyed. Its entire existence eradicated.

Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it. There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept. However, the relevant issue is whether or not you are ready to accept the responsibility for the death of Superman Returns thread on this forum.

As I was saying, many have stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly ninety-nine percent of the test subjects accepted the different views of posters from each "side" provided they were given a choice - even if they were only aware of it at a near-unconscious level. While this solution worked, it was fundamentally flawed, creating the otherwise contradictory systemic anomaly, that, if left unchecked, might threaten the forum itself. Ergo, those who refused views different from theirs, while a minority, would constitute an escalating probability of disaster.

There are two doors. The door to your right leads to the "fanboys" of Superman Returns. The door to your left leads back to the exit of the SHH Superman Forums, and to the end of your species. As you adequately might have thought, the problem is choice. But we already know what you are going to do, don't we? Already I can see the chain reaction: the chemical precursors that signal the onset of an emotion, designed specifically to overwhelm logic and reason. An emotion that is already blinding you to the simple and obvious truth: the Superman forums are going to die and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #38
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Well, I'm not a fanboy and I agree with most of those wonderful moments...

Those moments were, however, to me, like little nuggets within a very cold, grey rock.

The structure that bound all these things into the movie felt flawed. Young Clark needlessly wearing glasses, cruelly throwing his ball too far for the dog, the kid screaming when thrown Lex's wig, the basic concept of Lois's awareness of the child's paternity and the basic concept of why Superman would leave (without Lois knowing/guessing), the lack of 'security' at the Fortress of Solitude, Superman still being super with a shard of kryptonite inside him, Lois tracing the EM pulses to the house but never going to the house and somehow turning up at the marina to go on the boat. The general lack of interpersonal conflict, the somewhat overdone Christ figure allegory.

The little things were mostly great; the bigger picture mostly wasn't.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:20 PM   #39
The Kid
AMERICA FTW

was clark living at the daily planet? I didn't get this.

And unfortunately it's the same for me Maniac. I wish the whole thing were full of little things instead of parts of things I liked. The best being Jason. I loved when he threw the piano.

so much money for so little though. That's why this movie dissapointed me. If it was a cheap fanfilm on youtube, i'd look pass all the bad characterization or poorly done parts, or rehashed bits from STM. But I can't for this. this is like if batman begins was 85% like retreading Batman89 and ok 10% was just pretty good and the 5% with batman's son was a copy of a scene from batman89 but it's well done immitation though if the kid woke up he'd probably scream. *throws hands up* what is that?

Last edited by The Kid; 08-21-2006 at 02:50 PM.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:52 PM   #40
WormyT
Side-Kick

I liked..

-When he floated from the wall to the roof.
-Walked out of the plane and turned back for a second to glance at Lois.
-The feet landing on the hatch of the boat window underwater.
-Dipping the Daily Planet globe onto the car.
-Jimmy Olsen.
-Cyclops.
-catching the guy who fell.

Theres not a whole lot that impressed me otherwise. I feel besides the fact that it's a watered down superman movie for girls that even at that, the core elements didn't work for me as in the story, actors, editing and music.
I should say "To each is own" but I can't, I REALLY want an updated live action rendition of the character.
I read the books everyweek and as a character, it's like night and day. Superman is a lot more assertive in the books. Fr a new live action adaption I thought after all the matrix movies we would see (at least)some dynamic action like flying punches and super speed blur shots, slow mo breaking through walls, tossing cars like pillows, scarey villains. Brand new sound effects, crimson eye beams (not soccer mom microwaves).

If Batman Begins proved one thing, it's that audiences are ready to embrace new crazy villains and NEW style of storytelling and visual design.
SR isn't terrible..it's just....bland.

Last edited by WormyT; 08-21-2006 at 03:03 PM.
WormyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #41
The Kid
AMERICA FTW

UGH. I hate when he drops teh globe on the car. It really reminded me of superman 3 a little bit. On one hand, I saved all your butts, on the other hand, I'M A DICK. He's superman, that thing's like a feather to him. could he not put it somewhere where that's a lot less destructive than that. Where did he put the big sign post he caught? :P

I expected the car owner to say "whoaaaa! wait, what the hell, man?"

Last edited by The Kid; 08-21-2006 at 03:03 PM.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:06 PM   #42
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Superman

You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human. Ergo, some of "fanboys" or "haters" answers you will understand, and some of them you will not. Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant. You are here because the Superman Returns franchise is about to be destroyed. Its entire existence eradicated.

Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it. There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept. However, the relevant issue is whether or not you are ready to accept the responsibility for the death of Superman Returns thread on this forum.

As I was saying, many have stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly ninety-nine percent of the test subjects accepted the different views of posters from each "side" provided they were given a choice - even if they were only aware of it at a near-unconscious level. While this solution worked, it was fundamentally flawed, creating the otherwise contradictory systemic anomaly, that, if left unchecked, might threaten the forum itself. Ergo, those who refused views different from theirs, while a minority, would constitute an escalating probability of disaster.

There are two doors. The door to your right leads to the "fanboys" of Superman Returns. The door to your left leads back to the exit of the SHH Superman Forums, and to the end of your species. As you adequately might have thought, the problem is choice. But we already know what you are going to do, don't we? Already I can see the chain reaction: the chemical precursors that signal the onset of an emotion, designed specifically to overwhelm logic and reason. An emotion that is already blinding you to the simple and obvious truth: the Superman forums are going to die and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
That is one of the best replies in any forum i hacve ever seen. . I applaud you sir. Even though you seem to dislike SR (which is cool, don't hurt me), it is still a great reply.

But, for me, I enjoyed SR, really did. And, i look forward to seeing the SR sequel, opening credits, williams score, actors, diector, all intact. Let's move Superman forward.

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #43
CapBeerCino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman \S/
Everything in SR was perfect. My only complaints was the kid.
I thought the kid was fine. Im watching it again tommorrow

CapBeerCino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:26 PM   #44
Mr. Socko
Side-Kick

Too bad these subtle things couldn't have made this a great or even "super" movie.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #45
Dotten
Side-Kick

The look in Lex eyes when Lois pointed out the insanity in his plan. She saw it and the audience of the movie saw it. I was thinking when I saw the movie "what a stupid plan", and then Lois points it out. It was like Lex was reacting to me, and everybody else for that matter, when he seems absolutely shocked that the plan is not looked upon as genious. Only a madman like Lex could se something genious in at lame plot like that.

Loved that look. Awesome by Spacey.

Dotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #46
The Kid
AMERICA FTW

That's exactly how I was thinking too. The whole time I was saying "wow. This guy needs a reality check quick. he's either insane or just really really stupid like dr. evil."

Old 08-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #47
X Knight
Saber Class

for me......SR had GREAT visuals.......the story aside, there is no denying that SR was a BEAUTIFUL movie. I also liked anytime Supes flew or used his powers to save people.

Sadly, for me.....the kid, the weak story, the destruction of Superman's moral character totally negated the positives of the movie.

I'm critical of the movie now, but I was actually very excited about this movie. In fact, when I left the theater, my initial reaction was VERY positive. I was just soo excited that Superman was finally back on screen!

But, as the inital enthusiasm wore off, and I pondered on the story, the kid, and what actually transpired......I realized that Singer had fundamentally changed the character of Superman.......taking away all of the values for which I admired Supes.........

that's when I started to dislike the movie..........so for me, there were a few good things in SR.....but the negatives far outweighed the good......

X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:48 PM   #48
TrailerCues
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Superman

Hilarious

TrailerCues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #49
The Ones
Side-Kick

I loved Superman Returns. I hated Superman, but everyone said it was good so i thought i'd give it a shot and by god it was awesome. I loved it. 9/10 for me. 1 mark was lost because of the kid. Dont get me wrong his character was good and i could see why it was there for the story but his acting was atrocious. I cringed at everytime he appeared on screen.

http://www.petitiononline.com/GregA/petition.html

Sign or i'll eat you.
The Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #50
DieselsDen

Quote:

I agree with you completely. Good post. Thanks for the positivity.