The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Cybertron

Old 08-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Brian-Punisher
Side-Kick

Default Original Transformers

When I was a little kid, the Transformers were by far my favorite toys. I had tons of them. When I saw they were making a movie, I was really excited.

But, where did the Transformers story originate? What came first? The toys, the comics, or the cartoon?

If the comics came first, I'd like to get my hands on some early issues. Anyone know where I can get ahold of them? Is there like a book that collects a bunch of them (like the Marvel Masterworks)?

Brian-Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
DrSpengler
Side-Kick

Default Re: Original Transformers

Elements of The Transformers as we know them existed years prior to the creation of the brand.

Takara had two transforming robot toylines, Diaclone and Microchange (a sub-line of Microman). Nither line were selling well, even in the US.

Hasbro said, give us the toys and we'll market them right. So Hasbro took a selection of random Diaclone and Microchange toys and then turned to Marvel/Sunbow to come up with a story and characters based on the toys.

Marvel/Sunbow created the Transformers, Autobots, Decepticons, Cybertron and everything storywise that makes them the Transformers. The Marvel comic and the Sunbow animated series were both released in 1984.

Hasbro later bought more molds to bolster their toyline from Toybox, Toyco, Bandai and Takatoku. Marvel/Sunbow then worked those toys into characters for the fiction.

So the toys the Transformers were based on existed for several years between various companies and toylines, but weren't brought together as the "Transformers" until 1984.

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
Brian-Punisher
Side-Kick

Very interesting, Spengler! Thanks!

So, anyone know where I can get my hands on some of those early Transformers comics? I'd like to find a book that collects the first 10 or something.

Brian-Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
deathshead2
Side-Kick

Theres some trades paperbacks around so just go to your LCS and they should have it.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
DrSpengler
Side-Kick

Titan Published has released the entire run of the Marvel US comics (save for 3 filler issues they omitted) as well as nearly the entire run of the Marvel UK stuff.

And handy guide detailing what issues are in what trades along with Amazon links can be found here:

http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/reprints/

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote