The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 08-22-2006, 07:47 AM   #276
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387
Ok I read the first post like 5 times but I can't find the 3rd H.
The third "H" is for hate. See the title in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387
Jean Grey had as much screentime as Rogue and Storm in X-1 and a bit more than both of them in X-2.
X-3 was supposed to be her story so she wasn't eating up screentime in any way; yet she got pushed in the background.

If you've seen McKellan's acting credits before the X-Men movies, you'll see why he deserved top-billing over the two oscar winning actresses. He also had more screentime because he has always been the main villain. In X-2 he shared that villain light with Stryker; He's never eaten up too much screentime.
I fear you (along with a couple of others) may have completely missed my point.

I don't care what the roles are. I don't care how much the Phoenix saga validates the presence of Jean Grey, or how the villainy of Magneto requires his screentime. The point is that these characters certainly had more to do in these films that Storm--and yet of the three--the latter is bashed/attacked the most for sucking up too much screentime.

Therefore, singling her out simply makes no sense, because when you revisit all three films and add it all up, she still comes out on the bottom--even behind Jean Grey. Yet, the actress who plays her headlines one film and suddenly she's Public Enemy #1?

There's a double-standard/favoritism that I'm calling out here...and the need to put things back in perspective.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:58 AM   #277
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strikez!
I fear you (along with a couple of others) may have completely missed my point.
I didn't miss it, I just misunderstood it.

Quote:
The point is that these characters certainly had more to do in these films that Storm--and yet of the three--the latter is bashed/attacked the most for sucking up too much screentime.
I myself didn't think nor say she sucked up too much time, but I can't speak for others. The only thing I've complained about Halle's Storm was that she didn't do the role justice.

Quote:
Therefore, singling her out simply makes no sense, because when you revisit all three films and add it all up, she still comes out on the bottom--even behind Jean Grey. Yet, the actress who plays her headlines one film and suddenly she's Public Enemy #1?
I don't think any of us here think she's Public Enemy #1 (whoever does really needs to get a life). It's just that some people single her out base their distaste for her off her performances, behind the scenes news and rumors, or both.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #278
Ororocity
Side-Kick

I don't know why everybody hates Halle for her screen time because in only one film did she get to say more lines

Ororocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #279
Majik1387

I think some people here are confused when people don't like Halle. I haven't seen any complaints about her sucking up too much screentime but I've seen many complaints based on her performance.
I've also haven't seen any hate on Hugh, but I have seen the hate on Wolverine.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #280
XCharlieX
Awaiting Email Confirmation

wolverine upstaged the x men apparently to some. they hate his ass

XCharlieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #281
Majik1387

Yeah, I understand the hate for Wolverine but I haven't seen any hate at all on Hugh, so I don't know why he's on this topic.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #282
XCharlieX
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Ic.. its actors only.

XCharlieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #283
javon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter
Worthy...we know you are sore because Angel wasn't top notch like he should of been. It was time for Storm to step up in this movie and she did. She had good fight scenes and showed off her powers. Angel has about all of one fantastic power...flight, and we got to see it. Sure I would have loved to see him fight and get more screen time...but this comes down to what LS mentioned...jealousy of fans' characters not getting their prescribed dosage of screentime. I can see and justify some Hugh hate but if that is who the majority of movie goers want to see fight...then that is the way it is. Rogue and Cyclops where the only characters who had less screen time and plot points than any returning cast....and their arc sadly ended. Storm was not in the front and center of the first two films and that invalidates your point. Hugh, McKellan, and Famke have been the three to receive their own film. Mckellan's was X1, Hugh's was X2, and Famke's was X3. Each film's plot revolved around those characters. So if you want to hate someone...hate those three for having their own movie. It is not Hugh's fault for wanting to play Wolverine every chance he gets. What idiot is going to sit there and say
No Fox!!!...I only want to play a minor role in this final film of the franchise. I love my character so much that I want other characters to be shown more and will take less pay for it"

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #284
gambitfire
Banned User

i don't hate Hugh and some of the ppl on the Hate on Wolvie thread don't have much of a problem with him either. They just like me dislike the character .

gambitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #285
javon
Side-Kick

^lol, I know das right. I just dislike the fact that certaint characters who deserve a larger role, such as Storm, doesn't get it6 because Wolverine is in everything. I am not blaming Hugh, he is a VERY good actor, I am just blaming whoever is responsible for giving him so much screentime.

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #286
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Storm is my favorite mutant of all time. (See my avi) And I admit she hasn't gotten justice on screen. I don't totally blame Halle & I don't totally blame the filmmakers or Hugh or Wolverine. But a combination. Plus the fans who have gone ape***** over him, leading the studio to put so much focus on him.
X3 was the only time they really tried to pull her out of the background.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:02 AM   #287
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

Halle still needs to get her Storm right. Let Wolverine go to his spin-off though.

After i watched the trilogy, i came to realize she was best played in X1
I dont think its Halle's fault totally. Maybe she has a little bit. She will never be too strong to play the Weather Witch. BUT, in this trilogy, it wasnt her fault, but merely of the writers and directors, who are so blind that let such a rich, appealing, and beautiful character pass by. Storm was never explored, neither her powers (maybe the tornadoes in X2 and the end of X1, but nothing else) nor her personality. Her powers might show some of the best moments of cinema, they could be handled with a touch of art, they could be used as an extension of her person, but it wasnt what we saw, in any of the movies, because there wasnt creativty and caring enough about her. They simply chose the easiest way to portray her: no depth, standard effects. Nothing really new or mind-blowing as she could deliver. So it wasnt Halle's fault imo, but i am also afraid that, if someday they pull Storm off in the papers of the screenplay, Ms Berry might disappoint a little. But i hope she gets one more chance, with will of crew to give the character justice.

By the way, Hugh is a great person and actor. The problem to me is in Wolverine, not the actor. Maybe its time to have an actual X-men movie (and X3 was the closest thing we had to) than a Wolverine and his freinds movie.

Last edited by flavio_lebeau; 08-24-2006 at 08:08 AM.
flavio_lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote