The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #11
raybia
Signing off

Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage
Can't agree on this. I think Nicholson's Joker would hold up well today. What is it about his Joker that doesn't hold up? I know the Joker is more psychotic, but other than that, what's wrong with Nicholson's Joker? How was he not the Joker we know and love?

Maybe I'm being a little too harsh but what I'm trying to say is that I don't think that performance holds up to the fan's expectations, which in my opinion is TAS version.

That expectation could even have the possibility of even dooming Nolan's version but since he is using "The Joker's Five-way Revenge" as the basis and considering that story set the core for the way the Joker is portrayed in both TAS and the comics even to this day, I think we fans will be very pleased.

Here is a blurb that describes the significance of "The Five-way Revenge."

There is no doubting "The Joker's Five-Way Revenge" (1973) is notable for three reasons. Number one, it marked a return to form for the Joker. Under writer Denny O'Neil, this Joker was no longer encumbered by Wortham's stifling legacy (the original version of the Comics Code) or the stigma of the "Batman" tv program. He once again became the deadly menace portrayed in his original appearances, as evidenced by the re-introduction of the laugh-inducing Joker-venom. Secondly, the Joker regained his sense of humor, and actually became funny instead of annoying. This Joker was a far cry from the one in the 50s/60s, who was just a goofy, irritating freak (check out "The Great Clayface-Joker Feud"). He used style (the exploding cigar) and wit (the shark) and sly banter, instead of obnoxiousness. Finally, and most importantly, "Five-Way" established the groundwork for the entire Batman/Joker dichotomy that's become the core of the Bat-mythos: reason/rationality vs randomness/insanity. When the Joker clubs Batman into unconsciousness, the grinning gargoyle decides not to kill his nemesis; instead, the Joker pontificates about how any death for Batman must come solely from a battle of wits and madness--anything else would be cheap and pointless.

Thanks Hype for the memories!
raybia is offline   Reply With Quote