The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #251
Sabaoth
Master

Default Re: Thor's box office competition - Part 1

Awesome!

Thor is now clearly outperforming the Incredible Hulk!

Looks like the WOM did kick in!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #252
hatebox
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
For an unestablished and unproven cinematic character like Thor this is freaking amazing.
Iron Man numbers would have been 'freaking amazing', Thor's numbers are solid and encouraging. The best thing about its performance is that it proves, or at least strongly suggests, Marvel were right to go all in for the Avengers.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #253
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Quote:
Probably. Keep in mind that Paramount gets a cut off the top. Theatres get a cut. Not sure how the international sales are set up.

Also while many tried to bash Marvel it was probably smart for them to manage and control the budgets of the movie so well. I remember a lot of people were *****ing about how they handled the deals with a lot of the actors, but honestly it was a smart move so the budgets for Thor and Cap wouldn't get out of control because honestly spending over like $150 million a first time Thor movie is a little ridiculous. And second, Incredible Hulk did not deliver for it's budget really.
They still made a profit on TIH at the end of the day. Sure, it had to get there with Home Media and TV ights, etc. but they made a tidy profit from it. Not enough to jumpstart a sequel but there was no loss.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #254
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
Iron Man numbers would have been 'freaking amazing', Thor's numbers are solid and encouraging. The best thing about its performance is that it proves, or at least strongly suggests, Marvel were right to go all in for the Avengers.
If Thor manages to get to $500M WW(it's possible and if it misses it won't be by too much) then that's only 85M WW less than IM1. Thor's dynamic is different since it's more appealing(percentage-wise) to foreign audiences than any superhero since Spider-man.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #255
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
You don't think it's amazing that a movie starring and featuring a character like Thor is going to gross half a billion worldwide?

Iron Man's performance was freaking amazing but I mean you got to give it to Thor because I mean c'mon its Thor. Iron Man had had cartoons before. I don't recall Thor ever having his own cartoon series.

- CM Punk
Old 05-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #256
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Quote:
Iron Man's performance was freaking amazing but I mean you got to give it to Thor because I mean c'mon its Thor. Iron Man had had cartoons before. I don't recall Thor ever having his own cartoon series.
At least Thor had been in live action before. Iron Man was kind of an oddball in that he'd never had ANY attempt at showing up in live action before the film came out. Thor, Dr. Strange, Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow and even freakin' Martian Manhunter had all at least been attempted before in live action. Iron Man was seriously lagging behind just about everyone in this arena because they just couldn't figure out how to make the armor work on screen. Tights were one thing or even a big bodybuilder painted green but armor that looks like tights? That's why it never even got off the ground in a cheap ass TV attempt.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #257
hatebox
Side-Kick

Quote:
You don't think it's amazing that a movie starring and featuring a character like Thor is going to gross half a billion worldwide?
Thor's initial marketing was awful, which made me have doubts, but on paper there's no intrinsic reason to have believed Thor would fail - the fantasy elements would greatly appeal to the international audience (as they have) and the light hearted, visually driven spectacle of it all is a great thing to kick off the summer with.

As I said eariler, once you get over the pleasant surprise that America doesn't mind a film about superhero Gods who dress a bit funny, its domestic run has been in keeping with expectations for a moderately expensive 3D comic book film. It's had a very nice second weekend drop but, again, it being around the 50% level was expected given the lack of competition.

All this is good, of course, because it means a sequel.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #258
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
Awesome!

Thor is now clearly outperforming the Incredible Hulk!

Looks like the WOM did kick in!
Yup .... I'm extremely pleased with Saturday's take.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #259
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

I just want this to beat that crappy COTT world wide. Even if it's just by one dollar.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #260
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
If Thor manages to get to $500M WW(it's possible and if it misses it won't be by too much) then that's only 85M WW less than IM1. Thor's dynamic is different since it's more appealing(percentage-wise) to foreign audiences than any superhero since Spider-man.
One of my friends is from Sweden and I think he loves the movie more than I do .... which is saying a lot.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #261
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

You are a hatebox . . . hatebox!

- CM Punk
Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #262
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Thats a great drop for Thor and if it can keep it up 200mil is in the cards. There is no spinning this drop as most action movies that open above 50mil drop atleast 53 to 63%.

This movie is having a good result. 200+mil was the best it could have hoped for. Anyone who was expecting another Iron Man domestically were living in a dream world. The overseas numbers are strong but they aren't out of the norm for these type of films. It's harder to sell Batman and Iron Man overseas than it is Thor.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #263
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

I still don't understand why Batman didn't make much overseas, Tim Burton's Batman that is. I mean come on, it was the first Batman movie that got a theatrical release!!!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #264
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Some concepts just don't go over as well in foreign markets. Batman is like that. Star Trek is another example.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #265
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

...and Captain America. Hah.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #266
eeffos
Side-Kick

Looks like Thor made ~ 27M gross in the international markets this weekend bringing it's total WW gross to 344M. Not bad! Here's hoping it can at least match Wolverine's numbers from last year....it'd be nice!

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/firs...nd-priest-17m/

Old 05-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #267
Marvin
Side-Kick

I went to the cinema yesterday and people seemed to be avoiding priest like the plague, and I assume the rest would rather try out the good word of mouth female friendly thor than the un-proven bridesmaids...no matter how much the media is pushing that film.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #268
Chewy
REDACTED

Should be over 400M by next Sunday.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #269
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeffos View Post
Looks like Thor made ~ 27M gross in the international markets this weekend bringing it's total WW gross to 344M. Not bad! Here's hoping it can at least match Wolverine's numbers from last year....it'd be nice!

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/firs...nd-priest-17m/

Uh, that's 100% for sure at this point. Thor only needs another what? $29M world wide to match Wolverine. Yeah, Wolvie's goin' down within a week if not sooner. Thor's even likely to beat Wolvie's domestic gross.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #270
Superhero 101
DESI

yep 400 by next weekend i think it will make about 10 million by friday and then another 18 million next weekend and maybe 250 WW next weekend

Old 05-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #271
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I went to the cinema yesterday and people seemed to be avoiding priest like the plague, and I assume the rest would rather try out the good word of mouth female friendly thor than the un-proven bridesmaids...no matter how much the media is pushing that film.
General audiences are smarter than the media gives them credit. I've been gauging reaction to Thor at different sites for a while now and the haters/trolls have to be going nuts at this point. The more posts you read from real reactions the more you realize that there was a lot to love for every demographic. It's almost as telling reading the attempted critiques from the fans of other films or studio backers that are trying to bash Thor. Their attempts are laughable because there's nothing to give them traction. Great natural word of mouth will ALWAYS destroy manufactured fake bad PR attempts. The same goes for manufactured good reports. The numbers are proving that at this point.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #272
Arach Knight
Abstraction of Logic

Well, all of the concern over Thor can finally be put to rest. It will join the upper tier of Marvel based movies (e.g. X-Men, Spider-Man. Iron Man). The possibility of a sequel is nearly assured at this point.

The exact opposite of that picture would have to be, like... a skinny, pale little Irish girl holding a hoe.

I'm sorry you didn't get your skinny, pale little Irish girl holding a hoe.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #273
Marvin
Side-Kick

I have to say as great as thor is doing it's only doing great

Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #274
Doctor Jones
No One

Fantastic news! $34 million is more than I expected! This is solid as hell. Better than Fast Five's drop off even.

So even though Pirates will dominate next weekend, in the meantime, how do you think this will do simultaneously?

Old 05-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #275
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I definitely didn't expect Thor could equal Iron Man's popularity at all, but I did hope for over $150 million or a better performance than Incredible Hulk.

Doctor Jones, next weekend it will most likely have a steep dropoff as Pirates 4 will saturate the market. However, it will have a decent holdover the following weekend because of Memorial Day weekend when a lot of people and families will be going to the movies. By that time it will be over $150 million possibly $160 million.

I'm not convinced it can get to $200 million. I see $185 million being the topping off point though anything more would be great.

- CM Punk
Closed Thread