The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 12-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #26
Incarnadine
Side-Kick

Default Re: Greta Gerwig's Lady Bird, starring Saoirse Ronan

Cole Smithey, the esteemed critic of colesmithey.com has stopped LB's Fresh streak at 196/0 with a B- review (also has it at 3 stars out of 5 which is 60% and should be borderline fresh).

It's reviewers like this that make the streak even more impressive considering anyone can create a website and call themselves a critic these days. The only hurdle seems to be getting verified at RT, but that doesn't seem very difficult.

Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #27
Blackman
C'mon Son

Saw this earlier today.

It was cool and all, but I didn't think it was that that special. I liked it for sure, but I don't see the big deal about it. Performances were suberb, storyline was nice. It went on many 10 minutes too long. There were some weird storylines like the theater coach/priest. What was that for

In fact I think last year had a MUCH better version of this movie (coming of age story about a temperamental, sarcastic young high school girl) with Edge of Seventeen.

But yeah this was still good, but I'll just pop in Edge of Seventeen when I need my coming of age fix.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 PM   #28
Smilodon
Side-Kick

I actually watched Edge of Seventeen following Lady Bird (not to compare, but just because it was on Starz or whatever and I know Hailee was great in the film), but I think what elevates Lady Bird from other coming of age films is certain aspects such as the realism. The film is very specific, yet very universal. (Not that Edge doesn't do these things, but I think Gerwig may have done it better)

I also didn't really notice it until I think it was GDT (?) or some other filmmaker commented on it, but they pointed how subtly Gerwig is able to flesh out even the smallest of characters and give them a sense of something going on internally. But that's just me reading a lot of interviews and analyses in response to the film, and definitely isn't the one right way of reading it. I think there's a few things like the religious setting and the early 2000s setting gives the film a bit more personality that differentiates it from its peers too.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:32 PM   #29
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Just got done watching it and I really enjoyed it. Watching it straight after Call Me By Your Name was funny since its like the two films were having a mini crossover.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote