The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 12-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #101
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Default Re: The Official ''Fantastic Beasts 2: The Crimes of Grindelwald” Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
How old would Grindelwald be by this point anyway (if I remember correctly he's meant to be somewhat older than Dumbledore)?
Dumbledore is 2 years older then Grindelwald. This is Dumbledore at 65 and Grindelwald at 63. Not to forget of course, Wizards age slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime View Post
Because Voldemort looked great and healthy, right?

Dark magic corrupts the body and mind.

Voldemort turned to a snake like human being because of it, and Girdelwald obviously has tapped into some powerful dark magic that started to corrupt his body too. Look at the eyes.

Depp just ages badly because of his alcohol problems. Grindelwald is not supposed to be a good looking stud. He was in his teens. Many years have passed since.
Yes he did. His mutation comes with his creation of Horcruxes and rebirth and even then, Fiennes plays him with elegance, eagerness and power. He moves around like a rather athletic 70 year old.

Snoke in the Last Jedi is a very good example of what I am saying. Dude looks like he is literally falling apart, but still holds clear strength. Depp doesn't and you can blame that on whatever you like. But it doesn't fit.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 12-30-2017 at 11:29 AM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #102
lime
Movie critic

Default Re: The Official ''Fantastic Beasts 2: The Crimes of Grindelwald” Thread

DarthSkywalker

You do understand that you judge Depp's performance from ONE scene it the first movie, and ONE picture.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #103
Micromind
Nerd foru m dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post

Depp looks like a junkie. And considering how awful the character became once he took over the role in the first film, I expect nothing less then awful from him here. The guy is so hopped up on drugs and alcohol, he was too messed up to play his drunk pirate. He is a pantomime at this point. One that has been beaten within an inch of its life and left without the ability to entertain.

Need to see his performance to judge, but yes, he is hardly the same actor he was once in his 30's. I don't expect same level of performance from him.

Micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #104
Sithborg
About time Filoni

Expect Jack Sparrow, but EEEEEVILLLL!!!!

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #105
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
So many are missing the point. Bellatrix, Gandalf, Saruman, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Gambon's Dumbledore, etc. There is an inherent physicality, power to them. They give off the sense of power, with their general stance, their demeanor. How they stand, their eyes, etc. Even Yoda or Harris Dumbledore do this, and one was a puppet, while the other was rather old. You can be old, hell you can be deprecated like the Emperor. But that doesn't take away from the strength presented. And in no way should Grindelwald seem "old" and "past his prime". He should be able to go toe to toe with Dumbledore, the one being Voldemort fears. This is the time period they have the greatest duel in history.

Depp looks like a junkie. And considering how awful the character became once he took over the role in the first film, I expect nothing less then awful from him here. The guy is so hopped up on drugs and alcohol, he was too messed up to play his drunk pirate. He is a pantomime at this point. One that has been beaten within an inch of its life and left without the ability to entertain.

I don't even know who the actor is next to him, but she pulls off the idea far better.
Frankly Darth I think you're letting your knowledge of Depp's personal life color your opinion on this. And youre not the only one doing this so I dont want to single you out.

Deep looks like Depp to me. A middle aged actor that's aged not quite as well as other male actors, but he doesnt look like some back alley junkie hobo and I think it's hyperbole to claim he does in that pic.

It's also incredibly hyperbolic and frankly silly to say "considering how awful the character became once he took over the role in the first film". He had a single scene in which he glowered and said a single line in an ominous tone. Depp played that scene fine for what it was. The only thing wrong with that scene was the character design but directors and the designers play a big part in final character design so its unreasonable to blame Depp alone for Grindewald's design.

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:28 PM   #106
lime
Movie critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Frankly Darth I think you're letting your knowledge of Depp's personal life color your opinion on this. And youre not the only one doing this so I dont want to single you out.

Deep looks like Depp to me. A middle aged actor that's aged not quite as well as other male actors, but he doesnt look like some back alley junkie hobo and I think it's hyperbole to claim he does in that pic.

It's also incredibly hyperbolic and frankly silly to say "considering how awful the character became once he took over the role in the first film". He had a single scene in which he glowered and said a single line in an ominous tone. Depp played that scene fine for what it was. The only thing wrong with that scene was the character design but directors and the designers play a big part in final character design so its unreasonable to blame Depp alone for Grindewald's design.
Marvolo, I love you...just so you know. Spot on response!

Old 12-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #107
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yeah I mean the guy was onscreen for like a minute tops last time, and he said two lines (and delivered them fine imo). Plus having seen him in things like Black Mass and MOTOE, the guy can still act well if he tries.

Look I'm not saying that he WILL automatically be good. I'm simply saying that I'm not writing him off, based on nothing really.

Last edited by Loki882; 12-30-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #108
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post

His face most certainly looks like that. He is a piece of ****. So is Floyd Mayweather. Did I ever say Floyd Mayweather couldn't suddenly box or wasn't one of the 10 best I have ever seen? No. Was Kevin Spacey suddenly awful in Baby Driver because I now know he is awful human being? Do I now hate Baby Driver? Nope. Do I suddenly think Depp was awful in Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissorhands or Curse of the Black Pearl? Nope. Will I still love Fear and Loathing? Yep. Still think he is disgusting though. Also, don't get me started on Tom Cruise and the cult he belongs to. I will still be watching M:I 6.

And it is utter insanity to claim that he simply didn't age like other actors. One, we know why he suddenly started aging rapidly. He started cashing drinking and drugging bills his body couldn't cash anymore. Two, yes, he very much looks someone who has spent most of his time doing that at this point, which is why he is fighting with his lawyers over money. It isn't the makeup. I saw him at the Orient Express and Pirate premieres.

Depp took a character who Farrell delivered quite well, and made people in my theater laugh about in no time with his very large head. And considering what he did this year with a character he invented and was nominated for an Oscar for, am I to believe he is going to suddenly be able of actually to pull this off?

Old 12-31-2017, 03:27 AM   #109
Sawyer
High King

I think Depp looks fine. I'm more worried about the acting.

I'm hoping for more legit dramatic chops and less seizing an opportunity to do the usual shtick.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:30 AM   #110
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Depp can do no wrong. Dude is still the best.

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #111
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

lol. Black Mass was the first Depp’s been good in years.

Hopefully Grindelwald has more of that and less of Voldemort with Captain Jack mannerisms.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #112
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

haha! Nah. It's just the first thing he did in years that was worthy of a nom. Dude is always entertaining and a pleasure to watch doh.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #113
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Mordecai and The Lone Ranger want a word with you.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:12 AM   #114
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

His usual shtick got old years ago.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #115
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

I had a former friend who was in love with the movie Mordecai and thought it was the funniest movie ever. I still cannot figure out why.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:34 PM   #116
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Mordecai is hilarious and a criminally underrated movie.
And I don't get the hate for The Lone Ranger.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:59 AM   #117
lime
Movie critic

The problem with Depp is that he's choices of roles the last hew years have been very bad. But when he has good material (Black Mass for instance) he shows he is still a good actor. Since I believe The Crimes of Grindelwald will be good, I believe the same for Depp.

Look at actors such as Robert De Niro and Morgan Freeman. The made some outrageous bad movies as of late. That does not mean they are not good anymore.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #118
Silvermoth
Avenger

The problem with Depp is that he bashes his partner

Old 01-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #119
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
The problem with Depp is that he bashes his partner
Allegedly.

At this point WB, Rowling and Yates are saying they don't believe Amber Heard.

DarkKnight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:04 PM   #120
MOVIELORD101
Bearer of Bad News

This is the internet right now towards Depp, to quote the movie Ed Wood (the internet personified by George Weiss):

Quote:
Ed Wood: [over the phone] Georgie, what happened? I thought "Glen or Glenda" was opening this week! Where's the ads?
George Weiss: "Where's the ads?" The ads are in Alabama, Indiana and Missouri, you schmuck! It ain't gonna play in L.A.!
Ed Wood: Why not?
George Weiss: Nobody wants to see this piece of ****!
Ed Wood: Hey, you can't talk that way about my movie!
George Weiss: Your movie?! I wish it was your movie! I wish I had never blown every dime I ever made into making this stinkbomb! And if I ever see ya again, I'll kill ya! [angrily hangs up]
It's sad really. Can we please, PLEASE move on from Depp over a role we've barely heard anything of yet and focus on THE REST OF THE PRODUCTION?

MOVIELORD101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #121
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

hahahaha! That was great but no.

Depp is the only reason I'm interested in this movie the first movie sucked despite having a phenomenal cast. I Couldn't wait for the movie to end until Depp appeared. It wasn't until that scene that I wanted more.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #122
Sawyer
High King

I wouldn't say the first movie sucked, but I don't have many strong positive feelings toward it either. It just kind of... existed. I'm hoping this one, with the presence of Grindelwald and Dumbledore, feels a bit more essential.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:36 PM   #123
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
Allegedly.

At this point WB, Rowling and Yates are saying they don't believe Amber Heard.
Would it really be the first time those in a power position sided with a powerful and charismatic man over his accuser?

That aside, Depp hasn't given a good performance since Black Mass. I don't see what he adds to this franchise besides the fact that Rowling and Yates are enamored with him.