The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 01-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #976
Morg
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Stephen King's "IT" remake has found a writer - Part 4

Finally saw the movie when I rented it, I'll wait for the extended cut comes out and then buy it

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:00 AM   #977
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Finally saw it the other night, I've never read the book but I liked how much more fleshed out the story was than the TV movie, and they captured the era really well.

I'm not a big horror fan but I liked the old TV movie and like that, this favours creepy, ominous atmosphere over shack value gore, the single focus on the friends first encounter with Pennywise allows you to really get engaged in the characters story and the centered narrative helps build the tension.

It's gripping, unsettling and visually gets every last drop of dread out of Pennywise machinations. Definitely one of the best films of 2017.

8.5/10

Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 AM   #978
Asr
Side-Kick

^ 2017 was one of the best years in recent memory for the horror genre in particular. Although I haven't seen Get Out, Split, 1922, or Gerald's Game yet (just haven't had time), I was impressed by the movies that I did see, which were Life, Alien: Covenant (I know a lot of fans hated it but I liked it more than Prometheus, and it was visually gorgeous and had a great soundtrack), Annabelle: Creation, Happy Death Day, and IT.

I haven't seen the original with Tim Curry, or read the book, so I didn't have anything to compare it to, and I still really enjoyed it.

And I know tons of people have already said it, but IT also really made me want to see Bill Skarsgard as the Joker in the DCEU instead of Jared Leto. The Pennywise character was actually the closest live-action character that I've seen get to the Joker in general—as good as they were neither Jack Nicholson, or Heath Ledger, or least of all Jared Leto got acceptably close to portraying the Joker. If WB/DC can ever wisen up and translate their DCAU characters to live-action, I feel like Bill Skarsgard would nail a live-action version of Mark Hamill's Joker, which is the definitive version for me.

Last edited by Asr; 01-14-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Asr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:18 AM   #979
Finarfiniel
#TeamHela

I just watched this for the first time since seeing it when it was first released back in September and I still love it as much the second time. I'm a huge fan of the book, I've read it countless times (and I urge anyone who hasn't to give it a try, it's one of King's best) and the thing I love most about this adaptation is that it actually gets the true point of King's novel. Yes, IT is very much a scary horror story about an evil clown disguised shapeshifting interdimensional being killing and eating kids, but that's the wrapping of the story, it's not really the point. At it's heart it's a coming of age story about the power of memory, childhood and friendship, specifically how the experiences of childhood help create the adult. That aspect totally shines through in this movie IMO, you connect with the Losers' Club and their bond in the same way that you do in the book. They may have updated the setting from the 50's to the 80's, but it still manages to capture the feel and the themes of the book so well.

I hope we get some info about part 2 soon, bring on that casting news already. They really lucked out with the brilliant kid actors in part 1, I just hope they manage to cast their adult counterparts as successfully.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #980
matrix_ghost
movie fan

Any news when shooting will start on the sequel ?

Old 01-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #981
Drizzle
Fine, I'll D'oh it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix_ghost View Post
Any news when shooting will start on the sequel ?
Probably summer, going by the first film's schedule. I assume we'll get casting news as to who will be playing the grown up Losers' Club by spring.

Drizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #982
Finarfiniel
#TeamHela

Has this been posted here? Pennywise gets advice from a bunch of classic 80's movie villains (and the Demogorgon from Stranger Things) in the Villain Pub.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #983
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Who the young actors would like to see play adult versions of themselves.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #984
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I haven't watched the video yet but I think Amy Adams would be perfect as adult Beverly and I could see Ed Norton as adult Billy.

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #985
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Sophia Lillis wants Jessica Chastain.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #986
Sawyer
High King

For my money...

Bev - either Chastain or Adams will do, they've each got an advantage, Chastain having worked with Muschietti and Adams legitimately looking like an older Lillis
Bill - Corey Stoll
Richie - Bill Hader
Stan - Ben Foster
Mike - Chadwick Boseman, though I'd also consider Chiwetel
Eddie - Jason Schwartzman
Ben - Joel Edgerton, though I'm not firmly settled on him

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #987
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

I'd be fine with either Adams or Chastain, Adams looks more like an older Lillis but tbh I personally prefer Chastain. Either one is okay in my book though.

I think Ben Foster would be pretty spot-on as Stan and I like Edgerton for Ben. Pratt would also work for Ben, but they might prefer someone lower-profile like Edgerton.

I have trouble seeing anyone as an older Bill. I don't know if I buy Lieberher turning into the suggestions like Christian Bale or Corey Stoll.

Someone suggested Edward Norton for Bill, and I kind of liked that idea, but I think Norton is a little older than the other names being thrown around.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #988
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
For my money...

Bev - either Chastain or Adams will do, they've each got an advantage, Chastain having worked with Muschietti and Adams legitimately looking like an older Lillis
Bill - Corey Stoll
Richie - Bill Hader
Stan - Ben Foster
Mike - Chadwick Boseman, though I'd also consider Chiwetel
Eddie - Jason Schwartzman
Ben - Joel Edgerton, though I'm not firmly settled on him
I was going to mention Boseman being too young and then I looked up his age... holy crap.

Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #989
Kane52630
Crescendolls User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post

Who the young actors would like to see play adult versions of themselves.
All perfect casting

Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM   #990
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I was going to mention Boseman being too young and then I looked up his age... holy crap.
It's jarring. I thought he was, like, mid-late twenties when he broke out with 42.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote