Old 09-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #501
X Knight
Magical Mystery Knight

Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Thanks. Hope it works out well.
sure.

I hope it works well, too. sounds like it has a lot of potential.

and I'm really curious to see just how much larger the X 4K patches will be.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #502
Iceman
Infinity War!

Can't wait to play a modern game optimised for 4K and to see how it looks on the system. Really not far away now!

Old 09-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #503
X Knight
Magical Mystery Knight

^ and I'm eager to hear your impressions about it, Iceman.

are you planning on getting the X right away when it releases?

are you going to trade in your S or hold onto it?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #504
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
^ and I'm eager to hear your impressions about it, Iceman.

are you planning on getting the X right away when it releases?

are you going to trade in your S or hold onto it?
Will get on Day 1 for sure.

I might sell an original Xbox to a friend. Will keep the S.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #505
X Knight
Magical Mystery Knight

Quote:
Will get on Day 1 for sure.

I might sell an original Xbox to a friend. Will keep the S.
ah, great.

if you keep the S, then you can better compare what the games look like on the S vs the X.

I'm going to pay close attention to the reviews for the X. Beyond the obvious stuff, I'm interested in the "build quality" of the components and if it fixes the issues that I had in the past.

Namely, I want to know about the fan and if it's supposed to be whisper quiet. And, I want to know if the X will have a better/more stable WiFi adapter than the S.

if the X can fix those issues, and if the reviews and early adopters like yourself give it high marks, it may be enough to bring me back into the fold.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #506
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
ah, great.

if you keep the S, then you can better compare what the games look like on the S vs the X.

I'm going to pay close attention to the reviews for the X. Beyond the obvious stuff, I'm interested in the "build quality" of the components and if it fixes the issues that I had in the past.

Namely, I want to know about the fan and if it's supposed to be whisper quiet. And, I want to know if the X will have a better/more stable WiFi adapter than the S.

if the X can fix those issues, and if the reviews and early adopters like yourself give it high marks, it may be enough to bring me back into the fold.
Hope it fixes your issues. If they are common complaints then hopefully they would look into them.

Will definitely let you know how it compares to the S. (The S has totally been a great purchase for me btw).

Old 09-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #507
X Knight
Magical Mystery Knight

Quote:
Hope it fixes your issues. If they are common complaints then hopefully they would look into them.

Will definitely let you know how it compares to the S. (The S has totally been a great purchase for me btw).
great, looking forward to it!

and I wish I could say I had your luck with the Xbox systems.

as for the networking issues I had with the S, I'm still not entirely sure if it was the S or something else on my network. I recently discovered another device on my network had been causing problems with my home network in general. so, I don't know.......

but, in hindsight, it was good I returned the S. For one, the fan noise was unacceptable and there was no excuse for that.

And also, with the newer, more powerful X model coming out in a few months, I would have had to exchange the S anyways.

so, hopefully I will finally get lucky with the X. I would like to finally get an Xbox that works properly......lol.

but until then, I'll let you test it out first.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #508
Iceman
Infinity War!

Yeah, fan noise is one thing I don't notice on any console as I have enough other loud devices on and also either have the sound system turned up or headset sound at night. Internet issues would piss me off but I only ever had them in the early 360 days.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #509
X Knight
Magical Mystery Knight

^ well, I don't have a sound system or headsets, so I had nothing to mask the fan noise.

just have my TV speakers. and with the volume up while playing a game or watching a movie, I could hear the constant tick, tick, tick from the fan.

and that was more than just a normal whirring fan noise.

hopefully neither that or the networking stuff will be issues with the X.

for a "premium" machine, I expect higher quality "premium" parts inside with little to no major issues.

and speaking of networking issues, I'm having some with my new standalone 4K player, too. It's inconsistent on connecting to the internet for updates, for example.

so, I really don't know if it's my home network that has issues or the devices themselves......lol.

maybe what I really need is a new ISP........lol.

Last edited by X Knight; 09-17-2017 at 07:11 PM.
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #510
Iceman
Infinity War!

It's not the X1 in general, but your particular one might have an issue. But much more likely it's your own internet arrangements. With these consoles you know of every slight internet issue as you can get logged off from Live instantly. It almost never happens to me even though I'm logged in to Live for everything, during films, shows, sport on TV as well as games. It used to happen on 360 a lot though.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #511
X Knight
Magical Mystery Knight

Quote:
It's not the X1 in general, but your particular one might have an issue. But much more likely it's your own internet arrangements. With these consoles you know of every slight internet issue as you can get logged off from Live instantly. It almost never happens to me even though I'm logged in to Live for everything, during films, shows, sport on TV as well as games. It used to happen on 360 a lot though.
so you think it's most likely something else on my home network that is causing interference on the Xbox and kicking me off of Live?

it's just weird that said interference doesn't kick me off of PSN, for example.

but maybe there's just something specific to Live that makes it more susceptible to that interference.

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #512
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
so you think it's most likely something else on my home network that is causing interference on the Xbox and kicking me off of Live?

it's just weird that said interference doesn't kick me off of PSN, for example.

but maybe there's just something specific to Live that makes it more susceptible to that interference.
That's what I would have thought. It was a different story years ago but Xbox live is one of the most stable services I know of these days. I can't even remember what it looks like when you get signed out on X1 (I have 3). How individual devices connect and get approved and their connection strength can be a lot to do with your own settings and arrangements. And that is usually the reason if your device works and is something that has proven it can rigorously maintain X million amount of users around the world long term.

For eg if you (and your ISP) don't have the right ports open for a particular device it won't connect, and there are many different ways of connecting (that the ISP can change) that will get you a better signal with some devices and worse with others on your setup. I have connected 20 something devices to my own internet over the last 4 or so years and have been involved in hours of troubleshooting with my own ISPs. In the old days getting just one drop on XBL would mean being kicked out of a leaderboard Gears of Wars 2 Horde record attempt (which took up to 7 hours) and the whole team probably dying soon after so I had plenty of heated discussions with various ISPs trying to get it sorted out.

Last edited by Iceman; Yesterday at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM   #513
Iceman
Infinity War!

From Bloomberg:

Quote:
Microsoft Promotes Xbox Chief in Sign Games Are Big Deal Again

Microsoft Corp.’s head of Xbox,*Phil Spencer, got a promotion and a spot on Chief Executive Officer*Satya Nadella’s senior leadership team in a nod to the renewed importance of gaming at the software giant.
Spencer, now an executive vice president, previously reported to Windows division head Terry Myerson, who has a seat on Nadella’s council of chiefs. The group meets weekly and is comprised of the tier of executives directly below the CEO.

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #514
X Knight
Magical Mystery Knight

Quote:
That's what I would have thought. It was a different story years ago but Xbox live is one of the most stable services I know of these days. I can't even remember what it looks like when you get signed out on X1 (I have 3). How individual devices connect and get approved and their connection strength can be a lot to do with your own settings and arrangements. And that is usually the reason if your device works and is something that has proven it can rigorously maintain X million amount of users around the world long term.

For eg if you (and your ISP) don't have the right ports open for a particular device it won't connect, and there are many different ways of connecting (that the ISP can change) that will get you a better signal with some devices and worse with others on your setup. I have connected 20 something devices to my own internet over the last 4 or so years and have been involved in hours of troubleshooting with my own ISPs. In the old days getting just one drop on XBL would mean being kicked out of a leaderboard Gears of Wars 2 Horde record attempt (which took up to 7 hours) and the whole team probably dying soon after so I had plenty of heated discussions with various ISPs trying to get it sorted out.
thanks for the advice.

and yeah, I can imagine shoddy internet or frequent disconnections can have a major impact on MP sessions when you have other players depending on you.

Quote:
From Bloomberg:
great news.

wonder if Spencer will remain head of Xbox or will someone else take that role.

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM   #515
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
thanks for the advice.

and yeah, I can imagine shoddy internet or frequent disconnections can have a major impact on MP sessions when you have other players depending on you.
Might be an idea (if you get the X) to call up the ISP before you set it up and ask them for the best possible set of parameters to use etc to get optimal performance. For me it made a lot of difference after originally not even being able to connect to Live at all for the first couple of years I had the 360.

Quote:

great news.

wonder if Spencer will remain head of Xbox or will someone else take that role.
Yes. This is a great sign as it was looking like Microsoft were backing off from their games division a while back. Hopefully he either is still Head of Xbox or has a big say (I imagine that would be the minimum).

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #516
X Knight
Magical Mystery Knight

Quote:
Might be an idea (if you get the X) to call up the ISP before you set it up and ask them for the best possible set of parameters to use etc to get optimal performance. For me it made a lot of difference after originally not even being able to connect to Live at all for the first couple of years I had the 360.

Yes. This is a great sign as it was looking like Microsoft were backing off from their games division a while back. Hopefully he either is still Head of Xbox or has a big say (I imagine that would be the minimum).
thanks. if I do get the X and if it still has the same wifi/disconnect problem, I'll contact my ISP and do as you say.

I'm also looking at other devices that can maximize and boost the coverage of my home wifi. like this device:

https://eero.com/

I've contacted their support and they said it might be able to help with frequent disconnects with a console like Xbox.

oh, and yeah, I hope Spencer still has involvement with Xbox. it would be a shame if they lost him. though, now that he's on the MS leadership team, maybe he can wield more influence on behalf of the Xbox division from that position.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #517
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
thanks. if I do get the X and if it still has the same wifi/disconnect problem, I'll contact my ISP and do as you say.

I'm also looking at other devices that can maximize and boost the coverage of my home wifi. like this device:

https://eero.com/

I've contacted their support and they said it might be able to help with frequent disconnects with a console like Xbox.

oh, and yeah, I hope Spencer still has involvement with Xbox. it would be a shame if they lost him. though, now that he's on the MS leadership team, maybe he can wield more influence on behalf of the Xbox division from that position.
Your ISP should be able to guarantee a healthy connection to a device as widespread as a Playstation or Xbox. That should be part of their basic service standards, Many gamers are Xbox gamers. What are they supposed to do if they have a connection like yours on their Xbox? Sort it out lol. It can definitely be done if you pressure your ISP. There are loads of different things they can try. If there was any underlying major problem with XBL or PSN the service wouldn't be viable and it would cost those companies a fortune. Like I said earlier, before I pressured them I just had to go without any Live connection at all for the first 2 years. They don't voluntarily fix things of their own accord.

Yeah he's passionate about Xbox and knows it can succeed and what it takes for it to succeed. Will be interesting to know how exactly this move will work.

Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #518
zenith16
Side-Kick

NEWSXbox Head comments on accidental cross-play between Xbox One, PS4 in Fortnite Today at 10:18 am

It appears as though Fortnite players were treated to an exciting event in the gaming world without even...Read more

Also with

NEWSXbox One players with bad reputations will have their voice chat disabled in Overwatch Today at 8:28 pm

Much has been made about Blizzard and its fight to battle toxicity within the Overwatch community recently. After...Read more

source: Gamezone

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote