The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

View Poll Results: How did you like Iron Man 2?
10 - Amazingly Awesome! 99 20.37%
9 105 21.60%
8 137 28.19%
7 80 16.46%
6 25 5.14%
5 - Not horrible 18 3.70%
4 8 1.65%
3 7 1.44%
2 2 0.41%
1 - Geesh, this movie sucks! 5 1.03%
Voters: 486. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #251
PumpkinBombxXx
Click Click Boom

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2

I havent seen the movie yet but as far as whiplash is concerned at least he pops up as a threat twice which is more then most comic movies squeeze in. In the first one he encounters iron monger just at the end. Not that it doesnt work with the whole one confrontation thing but its nice getting to see a continuation of an earlier fight. Something the first 2 spider-man movies did a great job at.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #252
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Here's what I think should've happened in the movie that would've kept Whiplash a credible threat and also would've made a better emotional payoff.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I think that the IM/ WM/ Whiplash battle should've come earlier in the movie, round about the middle to end of middle. Stark should've been drunk, still hadn't figured out how to solve the palladium that was killing him, hadn't reviewed his dad's old files, and Whiplash should've shown up in his new armour. Whiplash should have solidly beaten both War Machine (or at least Rhodes in the Mark II armour) and Iron Man. IM's armour would've been badly damaged, and Rhodes would nearly have been killed because Stark was drunk and feeling sorry for himself and unable to function properly during the battle. Whiplash would leave them alive because he thinks that now Stark is a pathetic drunk and would rather not kill him so that he can see his own company in ruins, Justin Hammer take over the spotlight and Vanko finally getting the credit he deserves. Maybe this would alienate Pepper as well, and Nick Fury might decide that Stark isn't worth having on the Avengers after all (instead of having the evaluation scene at the end) because he simply isn't a hero in any sense: just a cocky poser who wants the glory but not the responsibility that comes with the job and that Stark is going to die with his and his father's legacy in shreds and the Iron Man name in tatters. Maybe Stark could even see that little kid (the one who wears the Iron Man mask at the end who is nearly blown away by the drone) throw his mask on the ground, no longer respect Iron Man and maybe even fear him because Shellhead is a public danger.

The pain of Stark's thorough whipping by Whiplash, the sight of his injured friend Rhodes, his loss of trust from Pepper, his public humiliation, the reality of his own impending death, the kid's reaction and Nick Fury's words would then shock him back to his senses and cause him to sober up. Then Stark could disappear for a while, solve the mystery of the new element to replace the palladium, and build a new suit of armour to combat this new, unbeatable version of Whiplash. Then the rest of the film could play out like the actual film with the expo and the drones. The Mark II would have an upgrade with Rhodes now as War Machine, but Stark would arrive in a brand new armour. Then, after the chase and the IM/WM fight, the two would battle Whiplash again. Whiplash could nearly beat WM, but would think he could do the same thing he did before against IM. This time, however, IM has figured out how to combat the electrical whips and gain an advantage. He would avoid all the mistakes made in their previous fight, and because he's sober this time, would be able to outsmart Vanko. He would use his wits to beat him (or make Vanko beat himself) rather than simply overpowering him via the combined repulsor blast of IM and WM.

The scene at the end with Fury and Stark would then be Fury welcoming him back as a responsible hero and deciding that maybe he was wrong about Stark after all.

I think this would be a much better emotlonal payoff, retain the pacing and would be more satisfying on the whole. It's a tried and tested formula which has been done in the Iron Man comics before (eg Armor Wars or pre Iron Man 200), so would work well here.

That sounds like the plot to Rocky 3. Rocky gets drunk on fame, gets beaten by Clubber midway through, feels he isn't a real champ, comes back at the end and outsmarts Clubber in the ring to win.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #253
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
That sounds like the plot to Rocky 3. Rocky gets drunk on fame, gets beaten by Clubber midway through, feels he isn't a real champ, comes back at the end and outsmarts Clubber in the ring to win.
It might be the plot to Rocky 3, but that is also the plot to the Iron Man comics. Stark was confident of himself but Obadiah Stane ruined him and thoroughly beat him, leaving him a pathetic drunk until he hit rock bottom. Eventually Stark's friends were killed/ injured, and Stark built a new armour (the Silver Centurion) and outsmarted Stane's Iron Monger.

Or it's also the plot to Armor Wars: Iron Man was severely beaten midway through by Firepower but built a new armour which could outsmart all of his enemy's weapons, and won.

So it's not just the plot to Rocky 3, which in itself is a classic, archetypal type of plot not just used there but in various forms of storytelling. Drunken Master did the same thing years before Rocky 3. Even if it were only the plot to Rocky 3 though, that wouldn't be a bad model to follow.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #254
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

well one thing for certain is the 3rd act of IM2 is a league better than the 3rd act of IM. I absolutely hated the 3rd act of IM but the finale of IM2 had me on the edge of my seat

Old 05-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #255
Iceman
Infinity War!

IM2 solid follow up to the original! At least 8/10..probably more.

War Machine was great when fighting alongside Iron Man. They are awesome together!! The last action scene is really good, although not a huge amount of action before that.

All the actors perform really well. Mickey Rourke & Sam Rockwell make strong villains, much better than Iron Monger (although Jeff Bridges himself was good).

Scarlett was a worthy addition & superHOTT! Got a nice action sequence of her own.

It takes a while to get going but by the end, definitely a good film with plenty of Avengers related stuff thrown in.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #256
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
well one thing for certain is the 3rd act of IM2 is a league better than the 3rd act of IM. I absolutely hated the 3rd act of IM but the finale of IM2 had me on the edge of my seat
Yeah, 3rd act was the worst part of IM but probably the best part of IM2.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #257
Spider-Kid
Lover of Folks and Jokes

I barely enjoyed it. Iron Man needs more screen time, and the plot is muddled. I give it 3/10.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #258
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Wait, so you're saying you ultimately did enjoy it(but barely) yet you only gave it a 3 out of 10? Ok.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #259
hatebox
Side-Kick

I'll be annoyed if the criticisms about Iron Man not getting enough screentime are founded - I definitely wanted more of him than we got in the first one. It's almost like the makers don't trust the audience to remember it's still Stark in there and as such won't enjoy it as much.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #260
THE MR. TERRIFIC
HYPES KING OF COSPLAY

To many mixed reviews!!! I can't take it!!

AARRGGHH!!

*Head Explodes*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud48V588NRw

Old 05-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #261
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

I think those who are disappointed with the movie are missing its point somewhat. It's not about Whiplash and his plot of vengeance.

No, it's actually about Tony Stark coming to terms with his mortality, or more specifically his impending death. And I mean 'Tony Stark' and not 'Iron Man'. See, where most superhero movies portray their protagonist's mortality, it's always in terms of their superhero alter ego in the form of dangerous villains. In IM2, Stark is dying from what is essentially a chronic disease and where most superheroes have no long term goals in their duties, Tony Stark has a plan in motion. Wanting to leave a legacy beyond simple violence, he set up a convention where people can pioneer new technology and donated shedloads to random charities. He's ensured the security of both, his company and Pepper Potts by electing her as the new CEO of his company. And because he can't be Iron Man forever to protect people, he relinquishes his technology to the military but in a way that ensures it remains in the hands of the one person he trusts and knows won't abuse it; Rhodes. He accomplished all of this all without tipping off the fact that he was in fact dying and keeping with his facade of an irresponsible, sensationalist, billionaire playboy.

Personally, I thought this movie was genius.

P.S.: I loved how the movie had so many nods to the audience. First, it's when Rhodes first arrives and it's obvious he's being played by a different actor. He basically tells the audience "Yes, now let's move on". Then, when Stark used a finishing move, Rhodes points out that he should have just started with it to save them the trouble and Stark responded that he couldn't because he could only use it once.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #262
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
It might be the plot to Rocky 3, but that is also the plot to the Iron Man comics. Stark was confident of himself but Obadiah Stane ruined him and thoroughly beat him, leaving him a pathetic drunk until he hit rock bottom. Eventually Stark's friends were killed/ injured, and Stark built a new armour (the Silver Centurion) and outsmarted Stane's Iron Monger.

Or it's also the plot to Armor Wars: Iron Man was severely beaten midway through by Firepower but built a new armour which could outsmart all of his enemy's weapons, and won.

So it's not just the plot to Rocky 3, which in itself is a classic, archetypal type of plot not just used there but in various forms of storytelling. Drunken Master did the same thing years before Rocky 3. Even if it were only the plot to Rocky 3 though, that wouldn't be a bad model to follow.
I agree. Demon in a bottle reminds me of Knightfall and the recent Batman:RIP. In other words, a story that does away with our hero who is replaced temporarily by someone else until he returns. These stories are meant to give us a break from the character so that they refresh our interest and give us a story where he crawls back to the top.

So in that aspect, its too early for a break from Ironman. It would have been cool after 3 movies, with Tony hitting rock bottom and WM taking over. But we already have WM, so why do we need to have DiaB? To see the cliche story of the hero getting drunk, losing everything, his friends getting angry at him, and finally regaining his will to live and overcoming his addiction?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #263
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

After suffering through that Nightmare remake I am looking forward to seeing IM2, mediocre or not it can't be as bad as that movie.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #264
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
I think those who are disappointed with the movie are missing its point somewhat. It's not about Whiplash and his plot of vengeance.

No, it's actually about Tony Stark coming to terms with his mortality, or more specifically his impending death. And I mean 'Tony Stark' and not 'Iron Man'. See, where most superhero movies portray their protagonist's mortality, it's always in terms of their superhero alter ego in the form of dangerous villains. In IM2, Stark is dying from what is essentially a chronic disease and where most superheroes have no long term goals in their duties, Tony Stark has a plan in motion. Wanting to leave a legacy beyond simple violence, he set up a convention where people can pioneer new technology and donated shedloads to random charities. He's ensured the security of both, his company and Pepper Potts by electing her as the new CEO of his company. And because he can't be Iron Man forever to protect people, he relinquishes his technology to the military but in a way that ensures it remains in the hands of the one person he trusts and knows won't abuse it; Rhodes. He accomplished all of this all without tipping off the fact that he was in fact dying and keeping with his facade of an irresponsible, sensationalist, billionaire playboy.

P.S.: I loved how the movie had so many nods to the audience. First, it's when Rhodes first arrives and it's obvious he's being played by a different actor. He basically tells the audience "Yes, now let's move on". Then, when Stark used a finishing move, Rhodes points out that he should have just started with it to save them the trouble and Stark responded that he couldn't because he could only use it once.
I love your analysis!

Old 05-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #265
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post

What he said.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #266
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
I agree. Demon in a bottle reminds me of Knightfall and the recent Batman:RIP. In other words, a story that does away with our hero who is replaced temporarily by someone else until he returns. These stories are meant to give us a break from the character so that they refresh our interest and give us a story where he crawls back to the top.

So in that aspect, its too early for a break from Ironman. It would have been cool after 3 movies, with Tony hitting rock bottom and WM taking over. But we already have WM, so why do we need to have DiaB? To see the cliche story of the hero getting drunk, losing everything, his friends getting angry at him, and finally regaining his will to live and overcoming his addiction?
You don't have to take a break from Iron Man as such. Well, we wouldn't be taking a break from Tony Stark and having him replaced by someone else. We would see how he has to face his difficulty and overcomes it. You can change some of these other elements around so it's less cliched, but the basic premise is the same. Spider-Man 2 followed a similar pattern. Spidey starts off as the hero, loses his powers, faces a major crossroads, decides to be a hero again and then faces the villain in the final act. Yes, in a sense we took a break from Spidey in that movie, but only the identity, not the character. It would be the same with Iron Man.

Besides, it's not a cliche story when it is THE Iron Man story you're describing. It's not like it's borrowing these elements from something else. The world hasn't seen Demon in a Bottle on the big screen.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #267
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
I'll be annoyed if the criticisms about Iron Man not getting enough screentime are founded - I definitely wanted more of him than we got in the first one. It's almost like the makers don't trust the audience to remember it's still Stark in there and as such won't enjoy it as much.
I can guarantee you, you don't get enough of IM. From that point on, it's a matter of having a problem with it or not. I see you do, I didn't.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #268
Figs
Banned User

I can't wait to see Iron Man 2 and have been reading a good number of comments and reviews. Although I haven't seen the movie I have made one oberservation that some people seem to be forgetting that quite frankly, I think is awsome.

Some of the complaints for this film are about how they put in a number of scenes with Nick Fury and other nods to the upcoming Avengers film.

People need to realize as Marvel's plan, they want the characters they still have the rights to, to be in one Marvel universe and I don't think that just means the Avengers. The problem I think is that people are still used to comic films where the character is seemingly the only one in his world like Spider-Man, Blade, Fantastic Four. I think this kind of throws people off to the cameos and nods to the Avengers film. If you think about it, all these nods and other characters in IM2 like Fury and Black Widow aren't just Marvel's way of getting ready for the Avengers film but for possible future characters that might be linked to other Marvel characters beyond 2012.

The reason I don't mind all this being shoehorned in(I can understand if it messes with the pacing of course)is because of the fact that when you read the comics for any Marvel or DC character, there does in fact tend to be other Marvel/DC characters that pop up from time to time, due to the fact that they're in the same world/universe. A great example is in Spider-Man when he has to go to Reed Richards to help him defeat Venom and Richards makes that sonic gun.

It's stuff like that in the comics that is entering the Marvel film world and quite frankly I get goosebumps just thinking about the possibilities after Avengers.

Of course when I see the film I may have similar complaints as others but thinking about that connection I made with the movies and how the comics have always been, I just may be a bit biased and not complain about the nods and cameos, regardless if they mess up the pacing.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #269
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
I can't wait to see Iron Man 2 and have been reading a good number of comments and reviews. Although I haven't seen the movie I have made one oberservation that some people seem to be forgetting that quite frankly, I think is awsome.

Some of the complaints for this film are about how they put in a number of scenes with Nick Fury and other nods to the upcoming Avengers film.

People need to realize as Marvel's plan, they want the characters they still have the rights to, to be in one Marvel universe and I don't think that just means the Avengers. The problem I think is that people are still used to comic films where the character is seemingly the only one in his world like Spider-Man, Blade, Fantastic Four. I think this kind of throws people off to the cameos and nods to the Avengers film. If you think about it, all these nods and other characters in IM2 like Fury and Black Widow aren't just Marvel's way of getting ready for the Avengers film but for possible future characters that might be linked to other Marvel characters beyond 2012.

The reason I don't mind all this being shoehorned in(I can understand if it messes with the pacing of course)is because of the fact that when you read the comics for any Marvel or DC character, there does in fact tend to be other Marvel/DC characters that pop up from time to time, due to the fact that they're in the same world/universe. A great example is in Spider-Man when he has to go to Reed Richards to help him defeat Venom and Richards makes that sonic gun.

It's stuff like that in the comics that is entering the Marvel film world and quite frankly I get goosebumps just thinking about the possibilities after Avengers.

Of course when I see the film I may have similar complaints as others but thinking about that connection I made with the movies and how the comics have always been, I just may be a bit biased and not complain about the nods and cameos, regardless if they mess up the pacing.
I second this.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #270
Blade X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
I agree. It also seems that the film makers are either afraid or have a hard time believing that the average non comic book reading older teen and/or adult moviegoer would want to see more Iron Man then Tony Stark on screen.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #271
Blade X
Side-Kick

I have a question for everyone who has seen this movie. If you combine all of the fight/action scenes in IM2 together, would it add up to being either less or more (time wise) then all of the fight/action scenes in IM1?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #272
Ajendo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. Peasant View Post
i think those who are disappointed with the movie are missing its point somewhat. It's not about whiplash and his plot of vengeance.

no, it's actually about tony stark coming to terms with his mortality, or more specifically his impending death. And i mean 'tony stark' and not 'iron man'. See, where most superhero movies portray their protagonist's mortality, it's always in terms of their superhero alter ego in the form of dangerous villains. In im2, stark is dying from what is essentially a chronic disease and where most superheroes have no long term goals in their duties, tony stark has a plan in motion. Wanting to leave a legacy beyond simple violence, he set up a convention where people can pioneer new technology and donated shedloads to random charities. He's ensured the security of both, his company and pepper potts by electing her as the new ceo of his company. And because he can't be iron man forever to protect people, he relinquishes his technology to the military but in a way that ensures it remains in the hands of the one person he trusts and knows won't abuse it; rhodes. He accomplished all of this all without tipping off the fact that he was in fact dying and keeping with his facade of an irresponsible, sensationalist, billionaire playboy.

Personally, i thought this movie was genius.

p.s.: I loved how the movie had so many nods to the audience. First, it's when rhodes first arrives and it's obvious he's being played by a different actor. He basically tells the audience "yes, now let's move on". Then, when stark used a finishing move, rhodes points out that he should have just started with it to save them the trouble and stark responded that he couldn't because he could only use it once.
bingo!

Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #273
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
I agree. It also seems that the film makers are either afraid or have a hard time believing that the average non comic book reading older teen and/or adult moviegoer would want to see more Iron Man then Tony Stark on screen.
But you have to look at the character. Yes, the movie is titled 'Iron Man'. However, unlike Spider-Man and Peter Parker or Superman and Clark Kent, Iron Man is Tony Stark's alter ego, not the other way around; especially in this universe. Tony Stark is who he really is whilst Iron Man is simply a part he plays when he wants to be a superhero or wants to make an entrance.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #274
Mr. Para-Normal
Banned User

For peole who have seen the movie I have one question. Is there a final battle between Ironman and Whiplash? Not the lame ending that is in the novel I hope.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #275
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Honestly, I think most general audiences could give a damn about the nods to the Avengers. Especially if they're not well versed with the Marvel mythology.

Closed Thread