The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

View Poll Results: How did you like Iron Man 2?
10 - Amazingly Awesome! 99 20.37%
9 105 21.60%
8 137 28.19%
7 80 16.46%
6 25 5.14%
5 - Not horrible 18 3.70%
4 8 1.65%
3 7 1.44%
2 2 0.41%
1 - Geesh, this movie sucks! 5 1.03%
Voters: 486. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #1251
Maximum Carnage
Tanned User

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2

So nice, Frodo had to say it twice!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 AM   #1252
Frodo
Side-Kick

Lol. Sometimes I have to keep pushing the submit reply button because it's slow and every other time it'll tell me that it didn't post.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #1253
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

An 8. Gave IM1 a 9. Saw this tonight and liked it alot. Could have made the actual fight with Vanko a bit longer. Most things that seems to bother some people around here about the film, didn't bother me in the least. It would have been nice if they had shown Tony training Rhodey how to use the suit instead of the boxing bit or at the least make a reference to it but that's it. Can't wait for Thor.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #1254
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
The sad part is, I walked out of TDK believing it was brilliant. Now that film just makes my head hurt.
I don't blame you at all,I blame the popularity and the consensus regarding the quality of the movie.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #1255
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Got back from seeing it today and I gotta give the film a B- at the most. There were things I liked about it, but overall the stuff that didn't work was too overwhelming for me to give it anything higher. Whiplash was good and really should have been the sole villan with maybe even the Senator Shandling playing the other heavy. Downey was great as always, Paltrow is so lovely for the time she's in it, and Scarjo was alright yet her character really didn't need to be in it imo.

I felt Cheadle was miscast as Rodie. Howard just fit the role better over all, and I felt he had much more chemistry with Downey .
Completely disagree, but obviously we're all entitled to our opinions. Howard was the p*ssiest Rhodey the big screen could've ever had.

Quote:
Rockwell's Hammer was too much of a clown to take him seriously. I know that's how he was suppose to be , but his performance just pulled me out of the film. He had some funny lines but in the end I felt it was a too campy .

I would have like Hammer to actually be a worthy villan . I can see that they didn't want to repeat the Bridges character from the first , but I would have liked Hammer to be more cut throat as he was in Demon in a bottle Storyline.
Then if that's how he was supposed to be then judge him on that. In my opinion he was as good playing Hammer is RDJ is playing Stark.

Quote:
The Avengers sheild stuff wasn't a big enough storypoint for me to really judge it as a weakness to the film . It was just another subplot among the several going on.

I wished they had trimmed the fat and stuck with The Whiplash Story connecting it to Tony's Dad, Tony's dilema, His growing relationship with Pepper and the further strain in his friendship with Rhodes.

The Hammer , Black Widow, War Machine, Avenger's , Government contracts,Sheild etc stuff could have been left for a sequel imo, but I know Marvel 's plans so...
You basically wanted another Iron Man 1 ..... that's the impression I'm getting.

This movie was far more aggressive and had far more subplots and characters.

If people have a hard time with this in IM2, they're going to be in for a tough time with The Avengers.

I personally liked how aggressive Fav's got with this one. It felt like a comic book and I watched it accordingly so.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:31 AM   #1256
DW4
Side-Kick

Was it me or did they lose Iron Man's "voice." You know the robotic voice used in the first film for some of the lines including "He's all yours" and "Keep the skies clear."

Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #1257
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

edit

Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 AM   #1258
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
I would. They're having this big fight for a pretty pointless reason, it's cliched, and Rhody is somehow able to fully operate the suit despite never having been in it before. They could have done a much better job with beginning War Machine.
That's an assumption right there. We don't know that. Tony CLEARLY stated more than once in the first film that he wanted Rhodey on board with the armor project. It's a much smaller leap in logic to assume that at some point in the intervening 6 months that he was shown how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
Did you eat/sleep at all this weekend?
Sure, that only took 20 hrs & 50 minutes out of a 72 hr weekend after all. Plenty of time for sleep.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:13 AM   #1259
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThePickles View Post
Even if it was my favorite movie in the universe, I'd get sick of watching it 10 times in a row
Well I'm a little different. For me, after IM2 is done then there is really nothing left to watch for me till maybe Tron Legacy. I'm absolutely not a film fan(I utterly despise probably 99.9% of everything that comes out in film/TV) so when I see one I can actually like(this year so far, just Kick Ass & IM2) then I watch it A LOT. I saw KA 5 times and I just added another viewing to IM2 for 11 so far. I saw IM1(my second favorite film of all time behind Jaws) about 13 times in theaters. But I probably still buy much less movie tickets than the average joe public.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #1260
zmystico
Side-Kick

Voted a 7, but really wanted to give it a 7 1/2 stars. RDJ & Paltrow were great, was amazingly surprised at Rockwell & Rourke's performance. As I heard somewhere before...Scarlett is there to look good, really could've done without her matrix fight scene. IMHO Cheadle did not warrant the recasting for Howard...I'd really think Howard would've done better. Totally disgusted with Jackson & Shandling...I don't know why Shandling was even picked, he was horrible and his voice irritated me. As far as Samuel L. Jackson a.k.a. "The Most Overused Actor", I couldn't wait for him to get OFF the screen. He's not a bad actor just way too over exposed and its not like there wasn't anyone else who could've played Fury. I thought the movie had a nice flow but Fury and SHIELD just rubbed me wrong. I know they were important, but it seemed like they Know-all, Do-all, Be-all and I just don't like that. With exception of the new element discovery, I felt we didn't get to see the genius of Stark displayed, and if anything they "dumbed down" the Iron Man technology because Hammer & the Government were able to essentially make WarMachine with just the Mark II. I do think Favreau kinda copied & pasted the end from IM1 with just a little spin. Still a good film...better than what I was expected in some part, but came up short where I had a feeling the film would.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #1261
Rumpy Bulge Dubz
Banned User

Thumbs up Re: OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Well I'm a little different. For me, after IM2 is done then there is really nothing left to watch for me till maybe Tron Legacy. I'm absolutely not a film fan(I utterly despise probably 99.9% of everything that comes out in film/TV) so when I see one I can actually like(this year so far, just Kick Ass & IM2) then I watch it A LOT. I saw KA 5 times and I just added another viewing to IM2 for 11 so far. I saw IM1(my second favorite film of all time behind Jaws) about 13 times in theaters. But I probably still buy much less movie tickets than the average joe public.
that's EXACTLY how I am, to a freaking T.

I hate 99.9% of movies/tv shows, but when I find one I like, I watch it REPEATEDLY. I just watched Ghostbusters 2, twice over the past week, and the first one a good 3 times over the past week. Watched IM1 three times before seeing IM2 and I plan on watching IM2 a couple more times before its through. After IM2, all that's left for me as far as movies I'm interested in are The Expendables and Jonah Hex. After Hex, my movie year is complete until Thor.

The only tv shows that's have caught my attention over the past decade are Smallville, The Office and My Name Is Earl, and although I haven't seen a single episode yet, I've been meaning to pick up Supernatural (whenever I have the throw away loot for it). That's it though

Last edited by Rumpy Bulge Dubz; 05-11-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #1262
hatebox
Side-Kick

I'm a film fan (much moreso than specifically a comic book film fan) but the older I get the less I like the idea of going to a cinema and getting annoyed with other people and the expense.

It's usually not a problem with art-house movies because frankly they're a better class of viewer, but it means if I go to see a blockbuster I have to really want to see it.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #1263
Rumpy Bulge Dubz
Banned User

^yup, If I'm going to the movies, it's to see a movie I absolutley can not wait to see, a MUST. Sure I'm at the movies a good several times a year, but that's seeing the same two or three movies a couple times each

Old 05-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #1264
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Hmarrs, I do realize it was a dick thing to say on my part but over the years of discussing film over the internet, sometimes I just have low tolerance for exaggeration at times.

At least you admit it was a good battle. Of course it could have been way better or as you put it, epic but I think the reason I liked it so much was because over the years i've learned to keep an open mind with what the writer/director does with his film. In short, I got over that way of thinking I used to have(and I know plenty of others do this)where in my head i'm going "I hope when they fight again it's ****ing mad crazy" and just sit back and watch their story unfold how they want to do it.

Of course that doesn't mean i'll like it but in this case I did.

Another thing I think people are forgetting is that instead of just having Vanko in the armor being the main threat and have this 15 minute long epic battle, he was using the drones but people are forgetting why.

He took Hammer's advice about not just killing the guy but you kill his legacy, which is what Vanko did by trying to destroy the entire expo center. He only came in when he had to, when the drones failed him. People need to remember that he's a physicist first and foremost, not some battle hardened bad ass(although he was badass overall ). The reason he seemed like a badass in battle was because the first time around he made that little suit with the whips and took Tony by surprise and had the upper hand. Shortly after Tony got into his Silver Centurion/suitcase armor...Vanko didn't last much longer.

At the end he was letting the drones do the dirty work for him since in my opinion he was definitely more brains then brawn(even if he was pretty built which i'm sure being in prison for 15 years would give you a lot of time to stay in shape working out). Once the drones failed he realized his suit which was most likely for this kind of emergency situation, needed to be used. He did in fact rough them up quite a bit, more than just two shots as you said. If IM and WM didn't do that repulsor move of theirs I think for the most part they would have been screwed...Vanko even took out WM's mini gun even.

Still, I understand if people wanted it to last longer but I think because I was hearing that the fight was only 90 seconds long before I saw the film, I was expecting him to just get outright owned(some people literally made it sound like that) but when I saw the movie, he was owning them. That's why I liked it more, my expectations and hopes weren't high and it was still a fun fight.
Fair enough.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #1265
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boney Dubz View Post
that's EXACTLY how I am, to a freaking T.

I hate 99.9% of movies/tv shows, but when I find one I like, I watch it REPEATEDLY. I just watched Ghostbusters 2, twice over the past week, and the first one a good 3 times over the past week. Watched IM1 three times before seeing IM2 and I plan on watching IM2 a couple more times before its through. After IM2, all that's left for me as far as movies I'm interested in are The Expendables and Jonah Hex. After Hex, my movie year is complete until Thor.

The only tv shows that's have caught my attention over the past decade are Smallville, The Office and My Name Is Earl, and although I haven't seen a single episode yet, I've been meaning to pick up Supernatural (whenever I have the throw away loot for it). That's it though

I haven't even owned a TV since Seinfeld went off the air. After that I just saw no point in watching TV anymore. If I wish to view a DVD, I do so on my PC.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #1266
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
I'm a film fan (much moreso than specifically a comic book film fan) but the older I get the less I like the idea of going to a cinema and getting annoyed with other people and the expense.

It's usually not a problem with art-house movies because frankly they're a better class of viewer, but it means if I go to see a blockbuster I have to really want to see it.

I understand that. But for me, the expense and people are secondary. I'm just not interested anymore in most pop culture stuff(movies & TV qualify) and films/TV shows I used to watch all the time when I was younger really just hold no interest for me. Same thing with comic books. I'm not into them any more either. My interests have pretty much dwindled to the point that all I really have now is the superhero and to a lesser extent the comic book movie genre in film and occasionaly the same in TV. And even then there are CB films coming out that hold zero interest for me(Jonah Hex, Scott Pilgrim Vs The World). I've pretty much been around the bend trying new stuff and got burned out on it all. And the fact that these days it's unusual for more than maybe one or two good movies a year get made(according to my very finicky standards) also keeps me away.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #1267
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Completely disagree, but obviously we're all entitled to our opinions. Howard was the p*ssiest Rhodey the big screen could've ever had.

If that's how you feel then that's how you feel. I thought Howard was better.

Then if that's how he was supposed to be then judge him on that. In my opinion he was as good playing Hammer is RDJ is playing Stark.

I didn't like the characterization. He was good playing an annoying character , but the campyness was pretty jaring for me and pulled me out of the film. Again you liked it... I didn't.

You basically wanted another Iron Man 1 ..... that's the impression I'm getting.

I wanted a good film. There were things I liked but i'm not gonna sugarcoat my on view of the film if I felt it fell short. Sorry.

This movie was far more aggressive and had far more subplots and characters.

If people have a hard time with this in IM2, they're going to be in for a tough time with The Avengers.
If Avengers has a good story and pulls it all together people won't have a hard time with it.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #1268
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I understand that. But for me, the expense and people are secondary. I'm just not interested anymore in most pop culture stuff(movies & TV qualify) and films/TV shows I used to watch all the time when I was younger really just hold no interest for me. Same thing with comic books. I'm not into them any more either. My interests have pretty much dwindled to the point that all I really have now is the superhero and to a lesser extent the comic book movie genre in film and occasionaly the same in TV. And even then there are CB films coming out that hold zero interest for me(Jonah Hex, Scott Pilgrim Vs The World). I've pretty much been around the bend trying new stuff and got burned out on it all. And the fact that these days it's unusual for more than maybe one or two good movies a year get made(according to my very finicky standards) also keeps me away.
I´m kinda jaded myself, but I can´t completely kill my inner 12 year-old who loves superheroes in costumes, giant robots, spaceships and all that. I´m definitely a lot harder to please than when I was younger, but I still have fun with genre stuff.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #1269
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmystico View Post
I felt we didn't get to see the genius of Stark displayed, and if anything they "dumbed down" the Iron Man technology because Hammer & the Government were able to essentially make WarMachine with just the Mark II.
They added some weapons but it's not like they created the suit from scratch.

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #1270
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

^And they didn´t do that great a job with the "ex-wife".

Stark definitely looked beyond the obvious to see the pattern of an atom in the Stark Expo map. It´s not the theory of relativity, but it´s not something most people would notice.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #1271
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

I think i'm gonna go see IM2 again this weekend. Can't wait! I enjoyed it even more than the first.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #1272
SurfDUI
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW4 View Post
Was it me or did they lose Iron Man's "voice." You know the robotic voice used in the first film for some of the lines including "He's all yours" and "Keep the skies clear."
I missed that too, he always talks in the suit ...'in the comics'. I don't want to bog things down with sematics, but that would have been cool.

He did Growl in the suit. "Yaaarrrr" it sound kinda reverb, that was about it.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #1273
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDUI View Post
I missed that too, he always talks in the suit ...'in the comics'. I don't want to bog things down with sematics, but that would have been cool.

He did Growl in the suit. "Yaaarrrr" it sound kinda reverb, that was about it.
Yeah he did lose the voice.He talked in the suit it's just not digitized like it was in part one.Which I thought it was awesome.I guess from a movie standpoint.They can excuse as though he doesn't need to since he does not have to hide his identity however I loved it and wish they would have continued it.At lest with Downey's voice digitized.Now he sounds like he is in a Oil Barrel instead of a high tech suit but oh well.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #1274
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmarrs View Post
Yeah he did lose the voice.He talked in the suit it's just not digitized like it was in part one.Which I thought it was awesome.I guess from a movie standpoint.They can excuse as though he doesn't need to since he does not have to hide his identity however I loved it and wish they would have continued it.At lest with Downey's voice digitized.Now he sounds like he is in a Oil Barrel instead of a high tech suit but oh well.
yeah I think the main reason he got rid of the digitized voice is because his identity is known

Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #1275
Nathan

It's too bad, I loved the voice.

Closed Thread