Using all his powers all out on Zod.

Mad Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #227
hopefuldreamer
Clark Kent > Superman

Default Re: Superman effects

Anyone seen this interview?

http://screenrant.com/zack-snyder-su...t-benm-108824/

Sounds promising (bottom part of the interview more than the top half)

Quote:
Snyder said:

“Let me just say one thing about Superman – he can’t do anything that’s not a visual effect. He can walk around and talk, but if he’s going to do something physical, that’s a visual effect, because he’s Superman.”

Snyder then compared his Superman to previous franchise outings:

“I think in the past people have tried to figure out how to do that with strings and putting cars on hydraulics and having him stand under it, but we’re really trying to work on a way of doing this [with visual effects] that really makes that feel real. [We're] trying to understand the actual physics of what would have to happen for those things to happen. It just brings reality to that whole concept of picking up a car or whatever. That’s gotta be completely based on reality.”

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #228
gkokujin
Side-Kick

if there is one thing I have to say about Superman Returns. The rooftop scene where he hovers over to Lois was beautifully done.

i would really like to see superman hover a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #229
KRIM
Banned User

Just came across this absolutely gorgeous video of cliff jumping:

http://vimeo.com/29017795

The action shots don't appear until halfway, but once it ramps up I couldn't help but be in awe at some of those things captured (in slow-mo, no less). Bay used similar methods to capture flight in TF3, but things get more complicated when the main figure in the shot is wearing the Superman outfit. Practically impossible to film for real.

But damn, at least half of those angles were so disorienting, I felt a bit queasy just sitting in my chair. I want that thrill in the cinema.

KRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #230
Asgard
Kanga Fu

This is a video for the viral marketing campaign for Chronicle.

I think itd be great if Snyder would look into doing something similar for some of the flying sequences.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #231
Kal-El.9859
Trust No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
This is a video for the viral marketing campaign for Chronicle.

I think itd be great if Snyder would look into doing something similar for some of the flying sequences.
dude that's going to be a sick movie! I can't wait to see it! BUT I'm not so sure I want Snyder using a remote control plane for the flying sequences

There's been an awakening in the Force, have you felt it?
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #232
Asgard
Kanga Fu

I cant wait for it to come out.

Maybe not for close shots but filming a flying sequence from a distance itd be like looking at a real person flying.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #233
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

^ Very cool.

In terms of effects, I want to pretty much see Superman use all of his powers in an epic way. There has been an emphasis on letting us know it's going to be more physical, doing things only Superman can do. And the first official photo we got of Cavill in the suit inspired confidence in that.

AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #234
KRIM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
dude that's going to be a sick movie! I can't wait to see it! BUT I'm not so sure I want Snyder using a remote control plane for the flying sequences
It obviously wouldn't be as rudimentary as that. But the one thing that clip did capture is the spectator pov, and that alone adds to the magical component of humanoid flight. Having the camera be on the ground and distant, gives the viewer a tangible perspective they can relate to.

If the story is focused on Clark's first exposure to the world as an alien, I see no better way than to be inspired from the various UFO sightings of the past century as a guideline. Replicating the simultaneous fear, curiosity, awe, and confusion of an extraordinary event -- that's not something that has been tightly captured yet in this subgenre. I'm not suggesting it be the only way to depict Superman's abilities. But certainly it's one aspect they should explore, given the relatively modern cultural shift to reality entertainment and faux-documentary style productions.

KRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #235
Kal-El.9859
Trust No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I cant wait for it to come out.

Maybe not for close shots but filming a flying sequence from a distance itd be like looking at a real person flying.
maybe, but I mean with all the money they are spending in making this movie I want them to use the best effects possible. I hope the effects look like they do in Chronicle and the Transformers films. The SFX in Knowing were pretty good as well

Old 01-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #236
DKDetective
Wizened Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIM View Post
It obviously wouldn't be as rudimentary as that. But the one thing that clip did capture is the spectator pov, and that alone adds to the magical component of humanoid flight. Having the camera be on the ground and distant, gives the viewer a tangible perspective they can relate to.

If the story is focused on Clark's first exposure to the world as an alien, I see no better way than to be inspired from the various UFO sightings of the past century as a guideline. Replicating the simultaneous fear, curiosity, awe, and confusion of an extraordinary event -- that's not something that has been tightly captured yet in this subgenre. I'm not suggesting it be the only way to depict Superman's abilities. But certainly it's one aspect they should explore, given the relatively modern cultural shift to reality entertainment and faux-documentary style productions.

That's a good point about the spectator perspective. Nolan's use of the criminals' perspective during Batman's first appearance in Batman Begins was a great touch. Granted, it didn't make sense for him to shoot the rest of his action sequences that way, but, in that first scene, it was great. I think a similar introduction of Superman as seen by spectators from the ground would be great.

DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #237
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I felt like his comments on the previous franchise's effects kind of belittled them. But what else are you going to use besides wire work unless you're just going to make it all CGI?

Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #238
Kal-El.9859
Trust No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I felt like his comments on the previous franchise's effects kind of belittled them. But what else are you going to use besides wire work unless you're just going to make it all CGI?
put Cavill in his Superman suit, load his ass into a human cannon...BOOM! Flying man...

Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #239
elgaz
Side-Kick

Someone in here mentioned a while back about having a spectator POV of Superman for his first scene in the film - not necessarily a flight scene though. I thought something like the following would be pretty cool.

Imagine an explosion somewhere downtown. We have the point of view of someone lying in the rubble, surrounded by smoke, flames, broken concrete, wrecked cars, etc. Their vision is slightly blurred and appears as if they are disorientated. Sounds come and go as their hearing has been badly affected by the explosion. We see them try and focus on something through the smoke. It's a red/blue blur, which disappears quickly only to reappear a second later somewhere else, and disappear again. As this happens, flames randomly go out and there are loud noises as the silhouettes of cars and debris appear to get moved aside through the smoke. Suddenly, as the injured person looks up, a pair of red boots appears almost instantly in front of them. The camera pans up slowly, revealing a red cape and a very alien-looking blue suit. The chest bears a large crest which looks like an 'S'. The figure kneels down to the injured person and we see his face slowly focus into view. He has a kind but commanding look, and piercing eyes. He appears to look up and down their body, almost as if he is scanning them. Then he speaks, softly and authoritatively. It's all we hear before the injured person passes out and the screen goes black. "Everything is going to be ok...................."

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #240
hopefuldreamer
Clark Kent > Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Someone in here mentioned a while back about having a spectator POV of Superman for his first scene in the film - not necessarily a flight scene though. I thought something like the following would be pretty cool.

Imagine an explosion somewhere downtown. We have the point of view of someone lying in the rubble, surrounded by smoke, flames, broken concrete, wrecked cars, etc. Their vision is slightly blurred and appears as if they are disorientated. Sounds come and go as their hearing has been badly affected by the explosion. We see them try and focus on something through the smoke. It's a red/blue blur, which disappears quickly only to reappear a second later somewhere else, and disappear again. As this happens, flames randomly go out and there are loud noises as the silhouettes of cars and debris appear to get moved aside through the smoke. Suddenly, as the injured person looks up, a pair of red boots appears almost instantly in front of them. The camera pans up slowly, revealing a red cape and a very alien-looking blue suit. The chest bears a large crest which looks like an 'S'. The figure kneels down to the injured person and we see his face slowly focus into view. He has a kind but commanding look, and piercing eyes. He appears to look up and down their body, almost as if he is scanning them. Then he speaks, softly and authoritatively. It's all we hear before the injured person passes out and the screen goes black. "Everything is going to be ok...................."
Yeah, that's the EXACT scene I described that I would love to see a long while back, even down to the last line

I also described something similar, but in the subway in another thread a bit more recently.

Only difference is that I said it'd be from Lois' POV, cause I think it'd be better to have it from a main characters perspective in terms of following it up. Giving the scene meaning (like the experience is why Lois is immediately on his side).

I don't know if it's something they'd ever do though, but I'd much prefer something up close like that for a POV thing, than a 'look up in the sky' on a handheld camera.

I can't explain why, but I think that'd sort of take me out of the film if it didn't fit with the style of the world.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #241
elgaz
Side-Kick

I couldn't remember who posted it and couldn't find it in search, so tried to repeat it as best I could lol.

It's a great idea for a scene.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #242
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

I think an old idea of mine could be used.

Just attach a pole with some kind of body harness at the end, onto the skids of a helicopter. Get our Henry into the suit, buckle him into the harness at end of the pole.

Helicopter takes off and someone leans out of the side of the helicopter, camera in hand...
Voila, instant flying sequence which looks real, because it is...

I'd try it, sounds like it would be fun.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #243
lixdexia
Blood Angels

it sounds like an insurance nightmare.

dictated, not read.
lixdexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #244
hopefuldreamer
Clark Kent > Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I couldn't remember who posted it and couldn't find it in search, so tried to repeat it as best I could lol.

It's a great idea for a scene.

I don't mind. I was actually looking back through a few of our discussions about stuff like that - those where some good times, we were all buzzing with ideas! (Including you! )

Doesn't seem like we've had so much of that for a while, so I'm just glad it gets brought up

Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #245
Siby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIM View Post
Just came across this absolutely gorgeous video of cliff jumping:

http://vimeo.com/29017795
SPEECHLESS!

Thank you for this amazing video.

Siby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #246
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post

I don't mind. I was actually looking back through a few of our discussions about stuff like that - those where some good times, we were all buzzing with ideas! (Including you! )

Doesn't seem like we've had so much of that for a while, so I'm just glad it gets brought up
I still want to see my idea of a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier on a crash course with Metropolis

Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #247
hopefuldreamer
Clark Kent > Superman

Yeah that would be the meaning of the word 'epic' in terms of a disaster

Old 02-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #248
Kal-El.9859
Trust No One

So I just watched Chronicle...epic stuff folks. The visual effects for Man of Steel need to look as good if not better than that. I was in complete awe as they took to the skies...made me wanna fly

Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #249
BigThor
God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
So I just watched Chronicle...epic stuff folks. The visual effects for Man of Steel need to look as good if not better than that. I was in complete awe as they took to the skies...made me wanna fly
Yeah Chronicle was awesome and the finale of the film makes most superhero films final battles pale in comparison.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=537581

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #250
Kal-El.9859
Trust No One

I couldn't believe how awesome that film was...