IIRC, Green Arrow has a more prominent role in the GN

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #627
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Default Re: Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Animated - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
I finally watched the film this weekend. I bought the Deluxe version three months ago. I hadn't watched the film and I waited until I got this version. Sadly I hadn't got the time to watch it properly, I have been kinda busy.

Anyways, this film was awesome! Really, it has been a long time since I the last time I read DKR. I forgot how brutal this tale is. The pacing was great, the time flew by. The absence of narration made the visual cues more powerful, the voice acting was great. Peter Weller landed his lines masterfully most of the time. The only time I didn't feel it powerful enough was with the speech with the S.O.B. I finally understood the Gordon's Vietnam speech on a thematic level. When I first read the novel, I didn't quite catch it, I guess my english wasn't very good back then.

Also, as a fan of Person of Interest, I was looking forward to hear Michael Emmerson as the Joker. Boy he was creepy! All of his scenes up to the Carnival where very unsettling. His lines before entering the Dave Endochrine show where truly scary. Alas his final showdown in the ironic Tunnel of Love was so raw, I never thought they could get away with that kind of graphic violence.

I think somehow, the treatment of Superman in the film was less harsh than in the novel. I guess it had to do a lot with Mark Valley's performance. The final battle was thrilling, more fleshed out than in the novel.

The 80's setting, the phenomenal score, even the cinematic sequences felt like something greater. I really need to make time to watch this again soon. This is perhaps the best effort in the DC Animated Movies line.
Agreed, I said the same thing almost in bold and was questioned about it, its quite clear to me the animated film gave us a less douchey version of Superman. I think the main reason for me was we didn't have the VO that we had in the comics, some of the dialogue in the VO made him come across a complete t**t at times in the book. Same with Batman too.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #628
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Agreed, I said the same thing almost in bold and was questioned about it, its quite clear to me the animated film gave us a less douchey version of Superman. I think the main reason for me was we didn't have the VO that we had in the comics, some of the dialogue in the VO made him come across a complete t**t at times in the book. Same with Batman too.
**Spoilers**

My issues with the novel/movies really stem from Frank Miller's dialogue/monologues. Aside him completely misinterpreting Superman as a character (tearing off Arrow's arm, playing super-puppet, hunting any members of the Justice League, etc), there were a lot of details that get pollute even Batman's character. In one scene has tries to save the "no kill" rule but mentioning rubber bullets being used on the mutants, then later on he hands someone a gun and tells them to kill themselves.

I will say that he created one of the best Jokers that I've ever seen. That the definitive Joker to me.

Overall, it's a fantastic story, it's just those details that really make it feel like an elseworld tale to me, as opposed to something that could have stayed in cannon.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #629
Drz
Real Hero

It's a dark future, it should reflect on the characters. Superman rather being a puppet who saves millions of lives speaks more true to the character than him simply not being heroic, he eventually takes down this evil in TDKSA.

Look how sad Batman's future gets in the BTAS universe with Beyond.

"Social critics don’t mean a thing to me. It’s really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what I’m doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just buzz off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire." - Quentin Tarantino
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #630
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
It's a dark future, it should reflect on the characters. Superman rather being a puppet who saves millions of lives speaks more true to the character than him simply not being heroic, he eventually takes down this evil in TDKSA.

Look how sad Batman's future gets in the BTAS universe with Beyond.
I actually really liked where the story went with Beyond. Batman continues his mission but doesn't resort to killing. I think that they did a great job of showing that in the Prologue episode and he even retired once he realized that he would have to alter his rules to continue the fight.

Frank Miller wrote my favorite Batman book, Year One. That was just the perfect origin in my eyes, but for TDKR (and continuing through to DK2), he reminds me of David Goyer in that the overall stories that they write are fantastic, it's just dialogue and some individual portrayals that I disagree with.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #631
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

I must say. I prefer the Beyond thematics over TDKReturns. In Beyond, it is poignant the fact that he cannot continue being Batman. In this serialized context, he did everything he could. He upgraded his suit when he was being debilitated by age and wearing. And even then he could no longer keep going. The first episode of the series was an awesome setup.

In the end, he got his bittersweet ending. He became the "Alfred" to Terry's Batman, the father figure of a broken man like him who decided that he could be happy, that being Terry going to have a better life than Bruce's. That's one of the themes of the comics too, but with Dick Grayson instead of Terry. Bruce's influence on their lives made them better people.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #632
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
I must say. I prefer the Beyond thematics over TDKReturns. In Beyond, it is poignant the fact that he cannot continue being Batman. In this serialized context, he did everything he could. He upgraded his suit when he was being debilitated by age and wearing. And even then he could no longer keep going. The first episode of the series was an awesome setup.

In the end, he got his bittersweet ending. He became the "Alfred" to Terry's Batman, the father figure of a broken man like him who decided that he could be happy, that being Terry going to have a better life than Bruce's. That's one of the themes of the comics too, but with Dick Grayson instead of Terry. Bruce's influence on their lives made them better people.
I agree with that. TDKR does a great job of showing how dangerous Batman is even when over the hill, but he stops essentially standing for what Batman was about. In Beyond, I feel like he stays in character and goes out a hero.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #633
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
I actually really liked where the story went with Beyond. Batman continues his mission but doesn't resort to killing.
He gives up. Justice League is barely efficient, Superman's personal life has completely died. There's nothing heroic, until the American Government decides that cloning Bruce Wayne is the only thing that can happen.

That is bleak, the mass production of Batman and America's use of Bruce Wayne until the end of times.

"Social critics don’t mean a thing to me. It’s really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what I’m doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just buzz off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire." - Quentin Tarantino
Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #634
batman1
Side-Kick

Love it!!

batman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #635
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
He gives up. Justice League is barely efficient, Superman's personal life has completely died. There's nothing heroic, until the American Government decides that cloning Bruce Wayne is the only thing that can happen.

That is bleak, the mass production of Batman and America's use of Bruce Wayne until the end of times.
Well he gives up because he can't keep going.

As far as we know, the Justice League Unlimited was still on duty until Beyond times. We don't really know to which extent Superman personal life has been affected, and still we don't get the clarification that perhaps it was the Starro influence that severed some ties. The Batman Beyond project was Amanda Waller's brainchild made by her own convictions and that project went south.

At the end, that didn't have anything to do with Bruce's decisions. Gotham was left in a tolerable state. I don't think that Commissioner Barbara Gordon was incompetent at her job. The only remnants of the old Gotham knavery was the little gangs like the Jokerz (which really was only the minor echoes of the last laughs of a deceased maniac). When the time came for the need of a new Batman, Terry was up for the job.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #636
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:

Quote:
Well he gives up because he can't keep going.

As far as we know, the Justice League Unlimited was still on duty until Beyond times. We don't really know to which extent Superman personal life has been affected, and still we don't get the clarification that perhaps it was the Starro influence that severed some ties. The Batman Beyond project was Amanda Waller's brainchild made by her own convictions and that project went south.

At the end, that didn't have anything to do with Bruce's decisions. Gotham was left in a tolerable state. I don't think that Commissioner Barbara Gordon was incompetent at her job. The only remnants of the old Gotham knavery was the little gangs like the Jokerz (which really was only the minor echoes of the last laughs of a deceased maniac). When the time came for the need of a new Batman, Terry was up for the job.
This did seem to come at a point in which the next generation was taking over, so there could have been a time in which there really wasn't much, if any, Justice League coverage. I choose to believe that Starro was controlling Superman for several years, which could have been a huge reason for the Beyond project.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #637
luis4u
Side-Kick

The score is amazing wow

luis4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #638
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

^^^Indeed. My favorite aspect of the adaptation, tbh.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #639
luis4u
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
^^^Indeed. My favorite aspect of the adaptation, tbh.
agreed. Even throw all superman was an okay movie his superman theme was amazing

Old 08-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #640
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Yep, All-Star is my favorite score Drake has done. And honestly, I know its blasphemous to even suggest, but it's right up there with Williams' to me as a defining Superman theme. It would be nice if they'd release the whole score.

I just wish the All-Star Superman film had gotten the 2-parter treatment that TDKR got so that it wouldn't have had to butcher the source material. Oh well, that graphic novel (my favorite of all-time) was never all that conducive to the movie format, anyway.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #641
luis4u
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yep, All-Star is my favorite score Drake has done. And honestly, I know its blasphemous to even suggest, but it's right up there with Williams' to me as a defining Superman theme. It would be nice if they'd release the whole score.

I just wish the All-Star Superman film had gotten the 2-parter treatment that TDKR got so that it wouldn't have had to butcher the source material. Oh well, that graphic novel (my favorite of all-time) was never all that conducive to the movie format, anyway.
One think I loved it. Especially the change they made to Luthor's ending.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #642
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, I'll admit that was a nice touch.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #643
Sawyer
High King

Quote:

Yeah, I don't think it could be properly done. There's an overall through-line throughout that series, but it's also very episodic. Not really the same kind of storytelling that TDKR had.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #644
Drz
Real Hero

“The Dark Knight series is all from Batman’s point of view. But if you look at Dark Knight 2, you’ll see a Superman who’s much calmer than the one in the first Dark Knight. Batman and Superman are dead opposites. I love Superman. Do I love Batman more? They’re not people. They’re only lines on paper.”
Frank Miller, in a Q&A with Playboy, on whether there’s any truth to the belief that he hates Superman

Old 09-05-2014, 06:15 AM   #645
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I am listening to the soundtrack on youtube right now and I gotta say this guy is really talented, it's pretty awesome.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 AM   #646
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law

i bought the deluxe edition on bluray, and I like how it flows as a 2 hours movie.

my videos thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=516339
Naked Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #647
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

I was considering getting that, but then I like how it's broke up into two chapters, like how the GN does the story in chapters.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #648
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law

I can understand that. I'm lazy though, son ot having to change disc is awesome.

my videos thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=516339
Naked Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #649
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Just downloaded These Men Are Mine, my favourite piece of music from the score it's very similar to Chariots of Pumpkins from Halloween III by John Carpenter & Alan Howarth. Infact when a Kevin Smith interviewed Christoper Drake on Fatman on Batman they talked about that been an inspiration.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #650
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

I own the book but is it worth getting the film? I have film & the book of Year One I prefer the book than the film though.

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote