Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 02-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #676
Darepool
poopool party

Default Re: Namor the Sub-Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtheDreamer View Post
That will NEVER happen.

Would be terrible brand management to withhold their brand from freemium television because it is part of the larger marketing picture.
I get it from that perspective, but there is very little cache left for network television and it's generally not considered the place for premium content due to the demands of it's antiquated model, which was built around selling mouthwash. Most of the best shows or 'buzzworthy' shows that have made a significant footprint in the pop culture landscape the last decade have been shows on cable or streaming providers. There are exceptions and certainly shows and networks that cater to the younger demos, but by and large most of the young desirables are looking more and more to these newer models. Again, I get your point about 'freemium' TV, it's just not the most creatively fertile ground to bring these characters to life.

Last edited by Darepool; 02-16-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Darepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:51 AM   #677
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

From what we know of Inhumans, it won't be following the standard Network model.

I look at Game of Thrones as an example of what is possible. If Network TV wants to compete with pay Networks, they have to produce competitive content.

Is there an inherent reason Network TV can't compete with HBO or Netflix? I don't think so. A popular show can name their price for advertising plus make money on home video.

Just because nobody has done it yet doesn't mean it can't be done.

It may be wishful thinking on my part, but an Inhumans and/or Namor effort that matched the quality of Game of Thrones could change the landscape and illustrate that Network TV can - if it really chooses to - give even films a run for their money.

As we were discussing on this topic on another thread, a 13 hour series can offer much more in-depth story telling than a 2 hour film and in today's world of home theaters and binge-watching, a good series can charge $40-$50 vs. $20 for a film on home video. As people watch more home video and go to theaters less frequently, the future could be high quality series.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #678
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Network TV, in theory, has a big advantage over subscription TV like Netflix or HBO.

Think about how they work. Netflix offers high quality programming, and I'm sure their revenue has been growing dramatically over the past 10 years as people sign up. But what happens when everybody who is going to subscribe already has a subscription? I have to imagine Netflix's revenue is flattening, and no matter how good their programming is, they won't be seeing nearly as much revenue growth in the next 10 years as they did in the past 10 years.

Now they just have to continue to offer quality programming to keep the subscribers they have. They can raise the prices some, but there's a limit to how much of an increase subscribers will accept. So a big, expensive new show might keep their customers happy, but it won't offer much increased revenue to justify the cost.

Network TV, on the other hand, has much more elasticity built in. They can charge whatever the market will bear for advertising. If they can create a huge, popular show that everybody will be watching and talking about the next day, they can charge $1 million, $2 million etc. for a 30 second advertising spot.

So far, Network TV hasn't really responded to the threat from subscription TV, but I don't think the model is dead. It's just waiting for visionary people to offer the right programming.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #679
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

I'd like to know what the actual source of this rumor is. So tired of people running on rumors that are misconstrued just because they want to be first to report a scoop.

Twitter- @mrpink13
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #680
Barry Parker
Scorpion 4 Spidey sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I'd like to know what the actual source of this rumor is. So tired of people running on rumors that are misconstrued just because they want to be first to report a scoop.
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=651

https://twitter.com/reelnewshawaii/s...36323749437441

There ya go

Barry Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #681
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

I know about those but where are they getting it from is what I'm saying?

Twitter- @mrpink13
Old 02-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #682
Barry Parker
Scorpion 4 Spidey sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I know about those but where are they getting it from is what I'm saying?
Reel News or whatever saw a Marvel studio being set up in Hawaii and Production Weekly posts things that are getting ready to film.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #683
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

So the Marvel Studio set up can totally be Inhumans since we know they will be shooting in Hawaii soon. What is Production Weekly, how reliable are they and why isn't Inhumans listed but Sub-Mariner is? Lot's of questions.

Twitter- @mrpink13
Old 02-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #684
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastos View Post
Yeah no way to TV. We're talking about Namor, one of Marvel's first characters.
And? He's not exactly a huge A-list star outside of comics. People wouldn't be rioting in the streets if he's not given a movie. I say that as someone who likes the character, but things like that have never stopped Marvel in the past.

MbJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #685
Darepool
poopool party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
From what we know of Inhumans, it won't be following the standard Network model.

I look at Game of Thrones as an example of what is possible. If Network TV wants to compete with pay Networks, they have to produce competitive content.

Is there an inherent reason Network TV can't compete with HBO or Netflix? I don't think so. A popular show can name their price for advertising plus make money on home video.

Just because nobody has done it yet doesn't mean it can't be done.

It may be wishful thinking on my part, but an Inhumans and/or Namor effort that matched the quality of Game of Thrones could change the landscape and illustrate that Network TV can - if it really chooses to - give even films a run for their money.
These are possibilities and good points, which is why I said 'Even if we get something similar to the INHUMANS deal I'd be disappointed until I see how that show turns out.' The potential is there but the water's untested at this point. Eventually I think the networks will get on board with these newer models.

Quote:
As we were discussing on this topic on another thread, a 13 hour series can offer much more in-depth story telling than a 2 hour film and in today's world of home theaters and binge-watching, a good series can charge $40-$50 vs. $20 for a film on home video. As people watch more home video and go to theaters less frequently, the future could be high quality series.
Some stories or characters would definitely benefit from a series more then film. Daredevil is perfect for it, but at this point I wouldn't want a FF series over a film, you wouldn't be able to bring the spectacle a great adaptation would require. The Inhumans series 'test' again may change my perspective to some degree. I can't wait to see how it works out.

Last edited by Darepool; 02-17-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #686
InCali
A Tail of Three Doggies

Quote:
Network TV, in theory, has a big advantage over subscription TV like Netflix or HBO.

Think about how they work. Netflix offers high quality programming, and I'm sure their revenue has been growing dramatically over the past 10 years as people sign up. But what happens when everybody who is going to subscribe already has a subscription? I have to imagine Netflix's revenue is flattening, and no matter how good their programming is, they won't be seeing nearly as much revenue growth in the next 10 years as they did in the past 10 years.

Now they just have to continue to offer quality programming to keep the subscribers they have. They can raise the prices some, but there's a limit to how much of an increase subscribers will accept. So a big, expensive new show might keep their customers happy, but it won't offer much increased revenue to justify the cost.

Network TV, on the other hand, has much more elasticity built in. They can charge whatever the market will bear for advertising. If they can create a huge, popular show that everybody will be watching and talking about the next day, they can charge $1 million, $2 million etc. for a 30 second advertising spot.

So far, Network TV hasn't really responded to the threat from subscription TV, but I don't think the model is dead. It's just waiting for visionary people to offer the right programming.
If my kids are representative of late teens/early twenties (God save us all), I think network TV/Cable TV could be in some trouble down the line. My son, in particular, could care less about about them. HBO GO? You bet he's on that like Zack Snyder's on a bad movie. They pick and choose what they want and pretty much stick to that.

As things stand now, I agree with you.

EDIT: I want to see Namor on the big screen interacting with FF and Avengers if he doesn't get a standalone.

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #687
Darepool
poopool party

And bypass network broadcast 'standards'. Antiquated.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #688
MbJ
Side-Kick

I think it's possible to do a good series on Netflix, I think the issue is more that people take the mediocrity of Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter vs. the quality of the three Netflix shows so far as proof that anything on Netflix is automatically better, which isn't necessarily true.

Netflix's biggest strength is their willingness to take chances on things networks won't touch, as well as the shortened seasons. Stranger Things was famously pitched to a bunch of networks who all turned it down for being too "weird," and you can bet all of those execs are now kicking themselves after seeing how huge it blew up on Netflix.

The other part is that the shortened seasons means there's less need for stupid filler episodes that are boring and don't advance the plot.

Other than that though I don't see anything that would specifically prevent Namor from being successful on TV vs. Netflix. In fact I must confess, I find the plea for every Marvel show that could possibly be made to end up on Netflix to be somewhat confusing. Netflix's Marvel stuff has a very clear niche where they like gritty, street level stuff that doesn't require a huge special effects budget. If the complaint is gonna be made that Namor is too expensive for ABC, then he'd definitely be too expensive for Netflix.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #689
Darepool
poopool party

Too expensive for TV basically. Some characters just are at this point.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #690
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

I agree. This is definitely a film. Possibly for Q4 2018 or Q4 2019.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #691
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I agree. This is definitely a film. Possibly for Q4 2018 or Q4 2019.
There is no chance in Hel for a Namor movie to be made with a 2018 release date. The movies prepping for 2018 releases are either shooting or casting now and have writers and creative teams onboard. A Sub-Mariner movie would have had to secretly assembled a cast and creative team without anyone knowing if they're seriously getting ready to shoot soon for a 2018 cinematic release. A 2019 release is slightly more likely but even then still unlikely, since again, this project would have had to come out of nowhere with no prior news until this week.

It's most likely a TV pilot as others have said.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #692
InCali
A Tail of Three Doggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbJ View Post
There is no chance in Hel for a Namor movie to be made with a 2018 release date. The movies prepping for 2018 releases are either shooting or casting now and have writers and creative teams onboard. A Sub-Mariner movie would have had to secretly assembled a cast and creative team without anyone knowing if they're seriously getting ready to shoot soon for a 2018 cinematic release. A 2019 release is slightly more likely but even then still unlikely, since again, this project would have had to come out of nowhere with no prior news until this week.

It's most likely a TV pilot as others have said.
As much as I'd like to say differently, I don't see Namor having a movie even into the early 2020s. Marvel's plate is so frelling full it's ridiculous (even without the next slate being announced, there's obviously enough on the table now to get us into the mid 2020s). If I were going to introduce him, it would be in a Fantastic Four movie by Marvel . I liked the story where Johnny found him so maybe they could do a take off on that. If the audiences find the character super appealing (I think he's a great character BTW), they might consider a standalone. Maybe he could go searching for his people when he finds his home (Atlantis) destroyed or maybe abandoned. Anyway, now that the Inhumans Royal Family seems to be off the table for a FF movie venture, Namor would be a good pick.

Disclaimer: My OPTIMISM regarding a Marvel FF movie, should not be misconstrued as me trying to offer proof that Marvel has or soon will have the rights.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 02-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #693
Darepool
poopool party

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
As much as I'd like to say differently, I don't see Namor having a movie even into the early 2020s. Marvel's plate is so frelling full it's ridiculous (even without the next slate being announced, there's obviously enough on the table now to get us into the mid 2020s). If I were going to introduce him, it would be in a Fantastic Four movie by Marvel . I liked the story where Johnny found him so maybe they could do a take off on that. If the audiences find the character super appealing (I think he's a great character BTW), they might consider a standalone. Maybe he could go searching for his people when he finds his home (Atlantis) destroyed or maybe abandoned. Anyway, now that the Inhumans Royal Family seems to be off the table for a FF movie venture, Namor would be a good pick.

Disclaimer: My OPTIMISM regarding a Marvel FF movie, should not be misconstrued as me trying to offer proof that Marvel has or soon will have the rights.
If it were in fact a Marvel/ABC TV series, one with production facilities in the same area apparently, then they would likely introduce Namor in the Inhumans.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #694
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darepool View Post

Some stories or characters would definitely benefit from a series more then film. Daredevil is perfect for it, but at this point I wouldn't want a FF series over a film, you wouldn't be able to bring the spectacle a great adaptation would require. The Inhumans series 'test' again may change my perspective to some degree. I can't wait to see how it works out.
I agree 100%. The thing that made FF stand out when it first came out was spectacular visuals, monsters, alien worlds and other things that were unlike anything we had ever seen before, and you can't do those things cheap.

And I think (among other glaring things) that was one of Fox's big failures. They tried doing FF cheap and didn't even try to bring the kind of spectacle that had made it iconic in its time.

But at the same time, CGI is getting less expensive and better with each passing year. We still have to make additional progress, but there could be a time that CGI, digital sets etc. make it possible to put anything anybody can imagine on the screen at a relatively low price.

Comic books provided a unique kind of escape when I was a kid because we could see the amazing worlds that were only limited by the artist's imagination. When CGI gets to the point that a film-maker can put whatever they can imagine on the screen, films (and TV shows) will no longer be limited by the types of budgetary constraints we have to live with today.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #695
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
If it were in fact a Marvel/ABC TV series, one with production facilities in the same area apparently, then they would likely introduce Namor in the Inhumans.
I think if there's any truth to this rumor (and that's a huge 'if') it sounds like that's what they're doing.

But I'm still very skeptical for the simple reason that Marvel has always telegraphed where they were headed. They typically tell us what projects are coming up long before they start filming, so it seems odd that they would just start filming Namor without first making an announcement (particularly since that would allow them to announce it on their terms rather than having it trickle out).

Old 02-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #696
Darepool
poopool party

Quote:
When CGI gets to the point that a film-maker can put whatever they can imagine on the screen, films (and TV shows) will no longer be limited by the types of budgetary constraints we have to live with today.

Absolutely, that's when a series would be the most desired. Spider-Man is custom made for series television other then what it would actually cost to do it justice. The technology just hasn't evolved to the point where it's cost-effective. When I think of the FF, I think Guardians, particularly Vol. 2 which Gunn's stated goal is to 'make one of the greatest spectacle films ever'. Massive in scope, fantastical worlds and crazy characters, a symphony of colors popping off the screen - pure fantasmic cinematic glory.

Quote:
But I'm still very skeptical for the simple reason that Marvel has always telegraphed where they were headed. They typically tell us what projects are coming up long before they start filming, so it seems odd that they would just start filming Namor without first making an announcement (particularly since that would allow them to announce it on their terms rather than having it trickle out).
This is where I think the television treatment may come into play. There is clearly a difference with how Marvel TV operates, at least when it comes to their ABC projects vs. the Master Planners at Marvel Studios. Remember how the Inhumans announcement just came out of nowhere? Suddenly we were getting an 8-episode series with the first two being shot and released in IMAX and all in under a years time.....without a cast announcement. We still don't know a lot about it at this point other then it's close to go time.

Last edited by Darepool; 02-17-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #697
Silvermoth
Avenger

Makes me sad to think of a Namor movie without interaction from reed and sue Richards

Old 02-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #698
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I would rather see Namor introduced as a "villain" first, in that the humans see him as the villain, only for him to actually show himself to be honorable and that he's not as against the surface dwellers as they think.

And the FF would be the viewpoint characters to see him that way first.

I wouldn't want him introduced in his own movie first as a hero. Let him have his own movie after he is introduced the other way in an FF movie or even an Avengers film.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #699
Barry Parker
Scorpion 4 Spidey sequel

https://twitter.com/reelnewshawaii/s...34055330680832

Old 02-19-2017, 12:39 AM   #700
InCali
A Tail of Three Doggies

Quote:
I'm hanging on to hope that I'll get Namor and FF.....on the big(ger) screen (than I have). I love the Netlflix stuff and like to check out the TV series. That being said, there's nothing like the anticipation of the release of a new movie.

Tell me you wouldn't love to see a FF/Inhumans and/or Namor movie.

www.cloudvistas.com