Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #751
Cain
I Heart Amazons

Default Re: Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
^ Why not?

Thats just foolish of DC not to release a Breyfogle collection.
I only say that because both DC editorial and the bat offices never even acknowledge those runs and have never reprinted them. Which is ironic since they worked on the character for pretty much an entire generation worth of comic books in an era that was very important for the character's fan expansion and growth (late 80's - late 90's).

Yet they always harp on about O'Neill/Adams and constantly reprint those even though their run wasn't as extensive as Grant/Breyfogle's. Yeah I get that their work was more influential in the long run but a lot of the elements in the modern Bat mythos owe just as much to Grant/Breyfogle and it's unfair how their contributions just get swept under the rug but the likes of Loeb/Sale get praised as saviors with their mediocre Bat work.

It's gotten to the point that new fans don't even know that their Detective, Batman and Shadow of the Bat work even exists because DC refuses to acknowledge it for some reason or another.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #752
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Breyfogle or Grant must've pissed someone off, because if Gene Colan, Don Newton, and Alan Davis can get collected editions than the guy who drew Batman during Burtonmania should get one too.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #753
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law

If I remembar corractly, Grant did pissed off some Dc execs, which cald explain why they ain't releasing such a collected edition.

They will be releasin' a Len Wein collection in Decembar though, and it includes The untold Legenof da batman.

my videos thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=516339
Old 10-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #754
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

I read on the Collected Editions blog that at some point next year, DC is releasing a collection of The New Adventures of Batman. It collects all of the Max Allan Collins run and the first several issues of Starlin's run. These are the immediate post-crisis Batman stories, starting at issue 402.

So if DC is going to collect that stuff, I would imagine that sometime by the end of this year, we may hear something in regards to a Grant/Breyfogle collection, if not in a self-contained series of books, then in the line of Post-Crisis collections.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #755
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

Let this be true! What makes it even worse is that Italy already has this great Breyfogle collection.

Found this great link.
http://oryansobservatory.wordpress.com/2005/05/23/7/

Last edited by Cobblepot; 10-26-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #756
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I have nothing nice to say about the latest issue of Batman, except for the awesome artwork by Capullo. Primarily, I am irritated by the use of the Joker again - seriously, he has been the chief antagonist of three of the major arcs in the Batman book alone-and by his use. The premise of him infecting the entire League reminds me all too much of Identity Crisis, where Slade took down the League. It makes the League look ineffective, and starts to crumble when one examines it closely. The infected members include members who are super-human and in some cases, non-human. There would not be a uniform dose for all of the members, as they have different internal systems: the dose (and composition) for infecting Wonder Woman would be different than Superman than it would be for Aquaman.

As I sit here fuming, I realized something: the Joker, in his supermassive preceding arc, was modeled on Leatherface. Now that Snyder & Co. have decided to bring his chemistry and crime skills to over-the-top levels, I would love to welcome Jokerberg ("Say his name...") If the entire matter turns out to be a hallucination, fear attack sequence, computer simulation, or some other fake-out, I am going to be equally ticked, as well.

I could sit here and keep teasing this out into a dissertation, but I am going to reiterate for my conclusion: this issue really pissed me off.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #757
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

I was just thinking, might the Batman in London story have something to do with DC being reluctant to reprint? With it's stereotype "Abu Hassan" character. Or perhaps the lack of Robin to attract "younger" readers if they still think that's going to be the case.

Last edited by Cobblepot; 10-26-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #758
-Arya-
Brightest Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I have nothing nice to say about the latest issue of Batman, except for the awesome artwork by Capullo. Primarily, I am irritated by the use of the Joker again - seriously, he has been the chief antagonist of three of the major arcs in the Batman book alone-and by his use. The premise of him infecting the entire League reminds me all too much of Identity Crisis, where Slade took down the League. It makes the League look ineffective, and starts to crumble when one examines it closely. The infected members include members who are super-human and in some cases, non-human. There would not be a uniform dose for all of the members, as they have different internal systems: the dose (and composition) for infecting Wonder Woman would be different than Superman than it would be for Aquaman.

As I sit here fuming, I realized something: the Joker, in his supermassive preceding arc, was modeled on Leatherface. Now that Snyder & Co. have decided to bring his chemistry and crime skills to over-the-top levels, I would love to welcome Jokerberg ("Say his name...") If the entire matter turns out to be a hallucination, fear attack sequence, computer simulation, or some other fake-out, I am going to be equally ticked, as well.

I could sit here and keep teasing this out into a dissertation, but I am going to reiterate for my conclusion: this issue really pissed me off.
The Joker may not have given them all a uniform dose. Also, the League has looked ineffective in plenty of other stories, but I'm assuming you don't like the idea to begin with? Regardless, the creative team isn't at fault here. As far as The Joker is concerned, and this is merely my opinion, I don't see anything wrong with how he is presented. The Heisenberg reference is a bit of a stretch (It didn't even enter my mind to be honest). Again, this is just how I perceive it. I hope the next issue alleviates your concerns.

My top 5 superhero movies

The Dark Knight
Wonder Woman
Batman Begins
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Spider-Man
Old 10-27-2014, 02:40 AM   #759
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law

I have read about the collectin of post crisis stories too. It's supposed to be released in summer. I hope it's true.

my videos thread
Old 10-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #760
Mee
2 E's are better than 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
There would not be a uniform dose for all of the members, as they have different internal systems: the dose (and composition) for infecting Wonder Woman would be different than Superman than it would be for Aquaman.

As I sit here fuming,
haha

Old 10-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #761
Mee
2 E's are better than 1

Having read the issue now

I don't have a problem with Joker managing to control all these heroes, we don't even know yet how he pulled it off. Batman and his "justice buster" suit being able to take down all of them one by one...whatever. It's a little much, a little Deathstroke in Identity Crisis (hated that scene and book btw) meets Tower of Babel, but that I can deal with.

My problem would be, Bruce is dead. Don't show me Wonder Woman slamming into him at full flight, smashing his head into what looks like a pretty thick/sturdy wall, tell me "she's not pulling any punches" ...and Bruce is totally fine. I mean it's comics and you suspend your disbelief but come on. Then Flash dies too. Full speed crashes into a building which then collapses on top of him? Dead.

Unless the whole fight was just another Scarecrow hallucination, in which case it's basically a waste of an issue.

Also didn't care for some of the dialogue. "You think you can take me?!" doesn't really fit Batman to me.

Anyway, I had dropped Snyder's run a long time ago, looks like it's staying dropped. I do like Capullo's art I'll give them that.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #762
Broseph44
Witness Me

So many people here dislike Snyders batman in general recently and yet they still read it. Why? If it bothers you so much why spend the money to read something you pretty much know you won't enjoy? I never understood this with people.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #763
TheCorpulent1
SHAZAM!
SHH! Global Moderator

Because comic book fans like s***ting on things they hate more than they like saving money.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #764
Broseph44
Witness Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Because comic book fans like s***ting on things they hate more than they like saving money.
I guess so haha. It's insane. Some love to spend their money on things they hate just so they can tell others how much they hate it. Makes total sense! Haha

Old 10-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #765
antsman41
Belongs To Prince

Dropping everything Batman was a huge shock for me... since that's all I've ever collected in 25 years but after this whole new 52 reboot/condensing crap I'm better for it.

I've checked out all of Brubaker's Captain America run, along with his crime-noir stuff drawn by Phillips. Also, Green Arrow Year One and now into the O'Neil/Adams run. Also, picked up the first TPB of Preacher and the whole collection of Bone.

It's sucks, because I really miss Batman but I can't make myself like this ADHD 'So EPIC!!!! OMG' revamping/rehashing storytelling that DC is into these days. It's contrived, childish, and annoying...

Mee, I'd suggest branching out. It's been pretty fun to expand my taste for better writing/art/characters.

The only thing I might touch back in on is when Damian is back, he's the **** or whenever Dick isn't off being James Bond.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:54 AM   #766
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
So many people here dislike Snyders batman in general recently and yet they still read it. Why? If it bothers you so much why spend the money to read something you pretty much know you won't enjoy? I never understood this with people.
you already got an aswer several times.

I'm a fan of batman. Batman is bigger than Scott Snyder. I want to have the most complete collection possible, because I'm a fan of the character.

I won't let the work of a writer whose style I don't like make me drop my favorite character.

The people I never understood are the one who are letting authors or actors they don't like drop what is supposedly a passion to them.

my videos thread
Old 10-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #767
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider

Quote:
Alot of your posts on here is you complaining about other people complaining.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #768
Mee
2 E's are better than 1

Quote:
There do seem to be some people doing that, I'd agree with Corp that some fans just like to complain, or don't want to break up their collection or something.

Like I said, for me, I actually liked his run at first but gradually came to dislike it and dropped it.

I feel like Snyder is a good writer, so I thought there might be an arc where it would pick back up and I'd jump back on cause I really like what Capullo is doing too. So I picked up #35, didn't dig it, not going to pick up anymore.

the end

Old 10-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #769
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law

I think snyder's work is better when he's working with others and doesn't use monologues. I really enjoy Batman eternal for instance.

my videos thread
Old 10-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #770
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post

Old 10-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #771
Broseph44
Witness Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
I just like to point out the non sense that goes on around here, which there's no shortage of. You can throw me on ignore if you don't wanna read what I have to say about others.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #772
TheCorpulent1
SHAZAM!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
you already got an aswer several times.

I'm a fan of batman. Batman is bigger than Scott Snyder. I want to have the most complete collection possible, because I'm a fan of the character.

I won't let the work of a writer whose style I don't like make me drop my favorite character.

The people I never understood are the one who are letting authors or actors they don't like drop what is supposedly a passion to them.
I've done both, but the dropping mentality makes a lot more sense to me than the completist mentality. You can be passionate about the character but hate what the current regime is doing with them so much that you actively don't want to read it. Doesn't mean you suddenly hate the character, just that you'd rather not waste your money on something you're not enjoying.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #773
Anubis
Sup?

I think it's stupid myself.

H.E.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 AM   #774
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law

I couldn't care less if any of you think it's stupid to tell the truth.

Not to mention I never said I hate Snyder's work. and like I said several times, while I don't like Snyder's style, I do enjoy some of his work.

If you people only want to talk with posters who love everything Snyder does, I suggest you put me on ignore, or create a thread "Snyder can do no wrong and we don't wanna read negative opinions about his work".

I will continue to post my opinion about batman titles, whether they are positive or negative.

I'm definitely not a snyder hater, since I've stater several times I like broken mirror, court of owls, gates of gotham and batman eternal.

Again, what I'm stating is my opinion, nothing more. And in my opinion, it still makes sense to collect batman titles, even though I don't like all of them as much as some others, since I'm a fan of batman.

Not to mention one's opinion can change over time. I hated Kevin smith's work on batman at first. Now, I consider it really funny, like all star batman and robin, or batman odyssey.

also, I try to keep and open mind, because Snyder did some work that I liked, so it's totally possible than I will enjoy some of his future stories. I did like his detective comics 27 story recently.

this whole "yeah, you're all haters, you should stop reading" mentality, I can understand, because when you like something, it's not really pleasant to see someone dissing it, but it's also a way of refusing to discuss.

my videos thread
Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #775
antsman41
Belongs To Prince

This^, people hate Nolan Fanboys yet if you talk about Snyder's faults everyone wants to burn you at the stake. Discussion is discussion, it's not like we dislike Snyder because of something not tangible. We clearly state his new style, idiotic choices DC has made, and the mostly terrible art, the new 52 changes are all logical reasons to not be happy with Batman comics these days...