Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #476
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Default Re: General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladystoneheart View Post
I'm surprised Hayden is going at all, I thought he avoided cons like the plague.
Kennedy has made Star Wars classy again.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #477
Iceman
Infinity War!

I don't think the new guys can be mentioned in the same breath as the big 3 or Vader just yet but that might change after TLJ, particularly if it is the ESB of this new trilogy.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #478
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I don't think the new guys can be mentioned in the same breath as the big 3 or Vader just yet but that might change after TLJ, particularly if it is the ESB of this new trilogy.
Star Wars established their legacies far more then Empire or RotJ did. One of the reasons why Han was always the preferred one imo. Also why his vest, something rarely worn after, is his look. Even if his his Empire Strikes Back jacket is by far better looking. Why Leia's iconic look is her Star Wars look.

The Force Awakens has established Rey as a beloved hero (they still have trouble keeping her merch in stores), Poe as some sort of sex symbol for both women and men, Kylo has a much love from the young girls who want to redeem him as anger from those who can't believe he stabbed Han ****ing Solo in the chest. BB-8 is everywhere, still. Worth his weight in gold in terms of merch and we know he isn't light.

I remember the argument that the ending with Luke would turn people away. People upset and it would hurt the box office. And then it made 2 billion. Seems people were happy to be hanging out with Rey, Finn, Poe, BB-8 and Kylo.

I get we are living in it, but it is pretty clear imo. The hype for TLJ isn't just about the return of Luke. It is about the return of Rey, Kylo, Finn, and Poe.

On another note, this is another reason why I think Rey is related to the Skywalkers. Because of how big that connect would be throughout the general public.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #479
GuestStar2004
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Whether hayden appears in episode 8 or not i doubt it would be revealed at celebration.

Chances are he is there because its star wars celebration and he is very much apart of Star Wars.

The Hayden Christensen & Ian McDiarmid Celebration Dual Photo Ops Tickets are also sold out.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #480
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
There is alot of positive hype behind hayden being at star wars celebration.

Its weird how fandom works.
At the end of the day a lot of younger fans still probably grew up watching Hayden in the prequels even though a lot of the older hardcore fans didn't like him.

It's like the Roman Reigns Affect.

- CM Punk
Old 04-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #481
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
At the end of the day a lot of younger fans still probably grew up watching Hayden in the prequels even though a lot of the older hardcore fans didn't like him.

It's like the Roman Reigns Affect.
Nah, Hayden is probably more like Cena. Hayden has some legit love. The vast majority dislike Roman and don't buy his merch. Hayden can sell some merch.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #482
Solidus
Knights of Ren

The new three have definitely made an impact. As Darth said above I remember many saying they thought it would upset them with Luke's limited screen-time. But by the end of the film you are more into the new characters. I'd say that they have made a huge impact. And it will only grow from here.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 04-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #483
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Star Wars established their legacies far more then Empire or RotJ did.
One thing the original movie did was present these compelling archetypes: the eager young hero, the wise old sage, the evil henchman, the charming scoundrel, the feisty princess.

Star Wars didn't invent these archetypes, or anything like that, but it did give the audience a bunch of them at once, really vivid characters that made a huge impact.

The Force Awakens didn't really try to redo that, it was more about trying to build on that legacy.

I liked the new characters. I'm pretty sure that Rey is going to have a big impact, and probably already has. But I thought that making Finn a storm trooper who crosses over was a really interesting and unexpected choice. Kylo Ren being less of an overpowering enforcer and more of a troubled figure... also good. I liked Poe, I guess he is supposed to be the dashing pilot to Han's handsome rogue.

All in all... very good stuff, from the point of view of the characters. I'm really looking forward to what happens next.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #484
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nah, Hayden is probably more like Cena. Hayden has some legit love. The vast majority dislike Roman and don't buy his merch. Hayden can sell some merch.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoe.../#6526c3056143

Roman Reigns is top merchandise seller in WWE.

- CM Punk
Old 04-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #485
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
It is ridiculously bad dialogue. But if you play it right, you could make it work. If he had cast Heath Ledger, he would have made it work. He sang to a girl sliding down a flag pole and made it an all time charmer.
No one could have made that dialogue work. It was unsalvageable.

”We live in times when hate and fear seem stronger. We rise and fall, and light from dying embers: remembrances that hope and love last longer. And love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside."
Old 04-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #486
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoe.../#6526c3056143

Roman Reigns is top merchandise seller in WWE.
The article says he is number two to a part timer.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #487
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
No one could have made that dialogue work. It was unsalvageable.
I think you need to play it for what it is. A bad attempt at foreplay. Be embarrassed right as the words leave your mouth. Also look endearing, not like a potential restraining order waiting to happen. Ewan turning a lot of bad dialogue playful saved quite a bit of it.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #488
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I think you need to play it for what it is. A bad attempt at foreplay. Be embarrassed right as the words leave your mouth. Also look endearing, not like a potential restraining order waiting to happen. Ewan turning a lot of bad dialogue playful saved quite a bit of it.
Anakin’s dialogue was the Mt Everest of bad dialogue. Ewan didn’t have to say nearly the amount horrific dialogue that Hayden did. You could practically see it in his facial expressions that he couldn’t believe he was saying the things he had to say...

”We live in times when hate and fear seem stronger. We rise and fall, and light from dying embers: remembrances that hope and love last longer. And love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside."
Old 04-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #489
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
The article says he is number two to a part timer.
You say no one buys it. Not true.

- CM Punk
Old 04-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #490
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
We have to keep in mind that the direction he is getting is apparently something like: When you say, "Here, everything is soft and smooth," you reach for Padmé's hand."

I think the only thing an actor could really do with that is just throw up his hands and say: we need to change this, or do something in the scene other than just stand around... something.

But that seems to have been the whole problem with the prequels: there was really nobody who could intervene and simply say, "This doesn't work, we need to change this."

It's supposed to be playful, innocent courtship, every Disney animated film has scenes like that. Almost any script doctor could come up with something better in half an hour.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #491
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
You say no one buys it. Not true.
Well of course someone buys it. Everyone buys some of the merch. But that he is still behind Cena after 3 years of a push as the man says a lot.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #492
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Anakin’s dialogue was the Mt Everest of bad dialogue. Ewan didn’t have to say nearly the amount horrific dialogue that Hayden did. You could practically see it in his facial expressions that he couldn’t believe he was saying the things he had to say...
Just so I am clear, I don't blame Hayden for what Anakin became. He didn't cast himself and he did what he was asked to do. I have grown up enough to realize it isn't his fault. I just think Lucas wasn't the only problem, though definitely the biggest one. Just look at how different the writing for Anakin is in TCW. So much better.

I have watched the prequels a lot. While the romance dialogue is the worst, a lot of it is down to delivery. The romance dialogue I can almost understand being bad considering the idea of the relationship. But the performances aren't sincere, there is no chemistry and the acting is really bad.

Another big problem is Lucas not doing a lot of takes and "editing" on set. He was obsessed with this digital film making breakthrough that allowed him to do it. Also watch Obi-Wan throughout AotC. The dialogue is a horror show. His face off with Jango is so cringe worthy. But he sells it all.

What I saw from Hayden was a combination of a really upset kid and the grade school boy that leers at women. Which actually made the edit into RotJ kind of perfect. Could have at least told Hayden what he was being filmed for.

On the director front, JJ had a interesting take on how TFA was going before Ford hurt himself. He said it wasn't quite working and that the extra time allowed them to rewrite and work on it with the actors. Considering how effortless the performances are in that film, especially those scenes on the Falcon, it is a good example of how much work goes into making it work.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 04-01-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #493
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

JJ did a better young Anakin/Vader in The Force Awakens except his name is Kylo Ren.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #494
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
JJ did a better young Anakin/Vader in The Force Awakens except his name is Kylo Ren.
I was saying this was the potential even before TFA came out. Especially as JJ said we'd see a villain created throughout this trilogy, as opposed to one broken down like Vader in the OT. After seeing the film, it just felt so obvious.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #495
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
I was saying this was the potential even before TFA came out. Especially as JJ said we'd see a villain created throughout this trilogy, as opposed to one broken down like Vader in the OT. After seeing the film, it just felt so obvious.
Yep.

And yes I do mostly blame Lucas for how terrible Anakin came out but I still don't think that Hayden was the right choice for the role. In the audition tapes for young Anakin Lucas gave the worst child actor the role, I think solely based on looks, because that kid didn't have great charisma either. I think that Lucas liked Hayden's look the most and thus he was cast. I appreciate that JJ and his casting directors always seem to cast based on acting talent above an actor having a certain look.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #496
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Yep.

And yes I do mostly blame Lucas for how terrible Anakin came out but I still don't think that Hayden was the right choice for the role. In the audition tapes for young Anakin Lucas gave the worst child actor the role, I think solely based on looks, because that kid didn't have great charisma either. I think that Lucas liked Hayden's look the most and thus he was cast. I appreciate that JJ and his casting directors always seem to cast based on acting talent above an actor having a certain look.
There is a really good, super blonde kid in the auditions for TPM. He was so perfect, it bothers me still he wasn't picked.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #497
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
There is a really good, super blonde kid in the auditions for TPM. He was so perfect, it bothers me still he wasn't picked.
I know, he was so good.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:46 AM   #498
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I'll give Hayden this, he was in my favourite scene in the entire saga. Even if he barely spoke.

If you seek Dude's monument, look around you.

Quote:
How is it that you, a diabolical sick ****, is so goddamn sexy?
Old 04-02-2017, 12:56 AM   #499
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roose Bolton View Post
I'll give Hayden this, he was in my favourite scene in the entire saga. Even if he barely spoke.
Opera House scene or Palpatine revealing he is Darth Sidious?

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 04-02-2017, 01:00 AM   #500
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Opera House. Love that scene to bits.

If you seek Dude's monument, look around you.

Quote:
How is it that you, a diabolical sick ****, is so goddamn sexy?
Closed Thread