No 91 41.55%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #226
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Default Re: Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
Me too. Who would you cast as Guy and Kyle?

BTW if the role of Hal is recast, I'd go with Scott Porter or Nathan Fillion.
I've never really thought about who I'd cast, people never really discuss any Lanterns other than Hal/John.

But with Green Lantern, you've got a great opportunity for your own shared world (considering they're all the rage now) by itself. A series that focuses on Hal and John as leads, a series that focuses on Kyle and Guy and then you can do crossover films for big events like Sinestro Corps War, for example.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #227
Scar Predator
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I've never really thought about who I'd cast, people never really discuss any Lanterns other than Hal/John.

But with Green Lantern, you've got a great opportunity for your own shared world (considering they're all the rage now) by itself. A series that focuses on Hal and John as leads, a series that focuses on Kyle and Guy and then you can do crossover films for big events like Sinestro Corps War, for example.
Yet another sad aspect of Warner Bumbles dropping the ball with the handling of GL is that characters like Kyle won't get a shot on screen now. He could have been a breakout character eventually, but his character is strongly linked to Hal in the way that a character like War Machine is linked to Tony Stark. Hal is still GL's historic tent pole, and I don't see a GL franchise getting off the ground unless a successful GL film is done around him first.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #228
mace1
Side-Kick

Green lantern is talked about in here and some others.
Should DC Comics Films Be Animated, Live-Action Or Both??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqk0W08Z8c

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #229
brainchild81
Fighting crime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Predator View Post
Guy would be better suited for a TV show like Arrow than the big screen. John and Hal both have their flaws, but those are clearly outweighed by their strong moral centers. Guy's heroic characteristics take a long time to uncover, which seems suited to episodic storytelling. But introducing a character who is vehemently disliked by the other heroes seems like a tough sell in 2 1/2 hours
They pretty much nailed it in Pacific Rim. It can be done. Hire writers that can write.

brainchild81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #230
Rorschach2012
$

Pacific Rim was my least favorite film of 2013, with the writing being my primary criticism. I'm hoping that a Green Lantern reboot wouldn't use any elements of that film as inspiration. Except the costumes. And casting.. Rob Kasinsky as Guy and Idris Elba as John is pretty much spot on... and their costumes in PR could be made into some great looking GL suits with few adjustments

Old 04-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #231
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Pacific Rim is one of my favorites from last year.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #232
Rorschach2012
$

It's one of the few movies where I've wanted to walk out of the theater almost the entire time. i couldn't though because the person I was with had bought a ticket for me

Old 04-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #233
brainchild81
Fighting crime...

I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was faaar better than Hal's film. It's also ranked fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Would definitely be a step up in quality if the next GL was even half as good as Pacific Rim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
Pacific Rim is one of my favorites from last year.
Ditto. I had to get it on Blu ray

brainchild81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #234
Scar Predator
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainchild81 View Post
They pretty much nailed it in Pacific Rim. It can be done. Hire writers that can write.
I haven't seen PR yet, but I know Guy well. If one of the criticisms from the GA sheeple is that Hal was a douche, imagine those characteristics X 10. It takes a long time to realize that Guy's misogyny doesn't stop him from honoring his female teammates or girlfriends. His defiance of the GOTU's authority can mask the fact that he still shares their goals. It takes time to realize all of this because Guy relishes other people buying into his brashness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Pacific Rim was my least favorite film of 2013, with the writing being my primary criticism. I'm hoping that a Green Lantern reboot wouldn't use any elements of that film as inspiration. Except the costumes. And casting.. Rob Kasinsky as Guy and Idris Elba as John is pretty much spot on... and their costumes in PR could be made into some great looking GL suits with few adjustments

Those aren't bad, but I don't understand why a GL costume needs to be complicated. It should be one of the easiest to translate because of it's simplicity.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #235
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

In terms of design the 2011 film was actually good. The idea that the suit is imprinted into the wearers musculature is a good one. It's the execution that was flawed.

The best route for a GLC series would be the main four.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #236
The Endless
Side-Kick

Green Lantern should have been like a buddy cop movie in space. With Hal the reckless rookie, Sinestro the stern vet. As the film goes on we see their relationship grow from resentment, to a wary respect, to a proper friendship.

Then in the second film we see Korugar and how Sinestro keeps order there, which shocks Hal and us the viewer at the same time.

Putting 90% of it on Earth was a big mistake. And that silly opening exposition dump was poorly conceived. We should have learnt all about the Corps as Hal does. Character development, story telling and world building all together.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 AM   #237
Scar Predator
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Green Lantern should have been like a buddy cop movie in space. With Hal the reckless rookie, Sinestro the stern vet. As the film goes on we see their relationship grow from resentment, to a wary respect, to a proper friendship.

Then in the second film we see Korugar and how Sinestro keeps order there, which shocks Hal and us the viewer at the same time.

Putting 90% of it on Earth was a big mistake. And that silly opening exposition dump was poorly conceived. We should have learnt all about the Corps as Hal does. Character development, story telling and world building all together.
Good point. Check this list out:

Amanita
Apros
Boodikka
Bzzd
Galius Zed
Green Man
Hannu
Iolande
Isamot Kol
Larvox
M'Dahna
Medphyll
Morro
NautKeLoi
Norchavius
R'amey Holl
Rot Lop Fan
Salaak
Stel
Voz

All of those characters appeared in the movie, but not one of them were named or had a line of dialogue.

Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM   #238
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

That was not a bad decision. Abin Sur, Sinestro, Kilowog, Tomar-Re and the Guardians is enough for an origin. Did it bother you that Victor Zsasz had no lines in Batman Begins?

The problems lay in the substance of what the existing characters were.

Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM   #239
The Endless
Side-Kick

Yea, it was all just broad strokes. Oa didn't feel like a living breathing place. Even a scene where Hal is in the Corps' canteen or whatever, with all the different Lanterns reacting to this human. Even something small like that would have given us more of an insight into the universe and it's characters.

But no, we get a 10 minute training montage then he runs back to Earth.