The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #301
warriorking
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ultron! We Would Have Words With Thee! Official Thor/Chris Hemworth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoy-small-fry View Post
Good job they didn't think to call him in TWS
Would have been a very short movie..
Thor snaps TWS's neck like a twig and then calls down a lightning strike like he did in the Avengers and we have 3 obliderated Helicarriers without the dramatic reprograming sequence..

Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #302
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Default Re: Ultron! We Would Have Words With Thee! Official Thor/Chris Hemworth Thread

How would they have contacted him? Even assuming they knew where Thor was, I'm sure Hydra did, too. A phone call to Foster's apartment in London would have been, 1) intercepted before the ringtone even went off; 2) alerted Hydra to where the good guys are calling from. Contacting him directly would have required crossing the Atlantic first, at which point you now have an alerted Thor. . . after Insight has gone online and ten million people have died.

Also, something I hadn't considered before: if the Insight helicarriers are fully operational and at combat altitude, then Thor has the problem that he can't interpose Mjolnir in between all of them at once. If he makes an attack run on one, the other two can open fire on him. He's bricky, but those were a *lot* of big guns. I could easily see Thor taking out the three helicarriers only to fall and succumb to accumulated wounds ( from being shot about a hundred times by giant artillery shells ) afterwards.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #303
warriorking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
How would they have contacted him? Even assuming they knew where Thor was, I'm sure Hydra did, too. A phone call to Foster's apartment in London would have been, 1) intercepted before the ringtone even went off; 2) alerted Hydra to where the good guys are calling from. Contacting him directly would have required crossing the Atlantic first, at which point you now have an alerted Thor. . . after Insight has gone online and ten million people have died.

Also, something I hadn't considered before: if the Insight helicarriers are fully operational and at combat altitude, then Thor has the problem that he can't interpose Mjolnir in between all of them at once. If he makes an attack run on one, the other two can open fire on him. He's bricky, but those were a *lot* of big guns. I could easily see Thor taking out the three helicarriers only to fall and succumb to accumulated wounds ( from being shot about a hundred times by giant artillery shells ) afterwards.
They could not hit The Falcon with their anti aircraft fire so I find it hard to believe they could hit Thor..
By the way I have been watching TWS the past couple of days since it's release on Vudu...

Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #304
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
They could not hit The Falcon with their anti aircraft fire so I find it hard to believe they could hit Thor..
By the way I have been watching TWS the past couple of days since it's release on Vudu...
Falcon was flying around at, essentially, point blank range, while the carriers were still at low altitude. In this scenario, Thor would be approaching from well over the horizon, and they'd be able to spot him and begin firing upon him the whole way in.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:37 AM   #305
The Endless
WE are Groot

I'd say Falcon showed more aerial agility compared to Thor. We haven't really seen Thor "dog fight" etc. All we've see is him fly in straight lines really fast. I'd like to see more of Thor in the air.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #306
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

I dunno..
In the interest of creating some variety in the various flying characters, I kind of like that Thor is more like a rocket who brings destruction, Iron Man is the straight up dog-fighter, and Falcon is the super agile one with low power.

If they bring in Ms. Marvel, they'll have to find her a flying niche too.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #307
blake c
Pokemon Master

I think Thor would of made ease of the helicarriers. I mean he doesn't just control Thunder, he has the ability to control weather in general. he could of just submerged them. Or even just flew downward on them till they were grounded, I'm pretty sure hes strong enough to do that. He held up a skyscraper in the comics and in the cartoon he lowered New York into place.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #308
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

He could totally do those things. The question is whether or not he could do them without getting blasted out of the sky first, or during, or while trying to approach into range.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #309
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
Also, Project Insight is based on extensive data gathering and analysis (a la the NSA) -- Social Security numbers, school records, medical history, bank accounts, credit cards, phone calls, emails, internet usage, etc... -- all stuff that Thor has pretty successfully avoided up to this point (talk about living off-grid!).
Donald Blake who's identity they used in Thor might have had a bad day, if Shield decided to not take any chances

Black Panther - 7 / 10

Justice League - 3 / 10
Old 08-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #310
Venomfan
Side-Kick

quote from Whedon from Empire Magazine. Sounds like he doesn't consider Thor a rival for Hulk

"The Hulkbuster is from after my time [as a reader], but even I knew what a big deal it was. It makes sense because there's no one who can really go up against Hulk, but more importantly, those guys are best friends, so what that battle is and what it means is fascinating to me."

Old 08-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #311
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

That's lame considering all feats point other wise lol

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
Old 08-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #312
Zimmy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomfan View Post
quote from Whedon from Empire Magazine. Sounds like he doesn't consider Thor a rival for Hulk

"The Hulkbuster is from after my time [as a reader], but even I knew what a big deal it was. It makes sense because there's no one who can really go up against Hulk, but more importantly, those guys are best friends, so what that battle is and what it means is fascinating to me."
I ain't buying it.

He gave everyone what they wanted in the first movie, Thor v Hulk.
You can't expect them to keep fighting each other in every movie.

I'm kind of looking for a more tactical battle instead of 2 high level Marvel characters throwing each other into buildings for 5 minutes.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #313
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

Yeah I definitely wouldn't want to see Thor vs. Hulk again, I was satisfied first time 'round

It does seem, however, that Thor has just gotta be Whedon's least favorite character.
he's stated that he prefers the non-powered characters, and we know he has a penchant for females, and he's also said he wants to focus on characters who don't have their own franchises.

Add those up, and I'm thinkin Thor's gettin the shaft again until I'm proven otherwise

Old 08-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #314
herolee10
No More Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Yeah I definitely wouldn't want to see Thor vs. Hulk again, I was satisfied first time 'round

It does seem, however, that Thor has just gotta be Whedon's least favorite character.
he's stated that he prefers the non-powered characters, and we know he has a penchant for females, and he's also said he wants to focus on characters who don't have their own franchises.

Add those up, and I'm thinkin Thor's gettin the shaft again until I'm proven otherwise
Agreed. Heck, I think whedon likes Loki more, which seems to be a popular choice as of late. Despite technically having his own phase 2 film, Thor pretty much got the short end of the stick on that one and I think history will repeat itself here.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:19 AM   #315
fixxxer
...goes to 11

I dunno, I thought Thor got some wonderful character moments and superb showcases for his power in the Avengers. I really have absolutely no complaints with how any of the Avengers were handled. Yes, even Hawkeye (who despite not being characterized as well as the other 5 Avengers) didn't get the "shaft" like many here believe. Then again, that's probably a discussion for a different time and place. I don't see any reason for Whedon to somehow overlook Thor in A:AOU.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 AM   #316
herolee10
No More Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
I dunno, I thought Thor got some wonderful character moments and superb showcases for his power in the Avengers. I really have absolutely no complaints with how any of the Avengers were handled. Yes, even Hawkeye (who despite not being characterized as well as the other 5 Avengers) didn't get the "shaft" like many here believe. Then again, that's probably a discussion for a different time and place. I don't see any reason for Whedon to somehow overlook Thor in A:AOU.
I think the reason why a lot of people are worried about Thor's role in this film is because of how Thor hasn't been used well as of late.

Heck, Thor's biggest involvement with the MCU was Loki-related and now that Loki isn't involved with this film, one must wonder on where that will leave the character.

Plus, out of all of the major characters in this film, we've heard considerably less about Thor's role in it.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #317
Ghostcrow13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I think the reason why a lot of people are worried about Thor's role in this film is because of how Thor hasn't been used well as of late.

Heck, Thor's biggest involvement with the MCU was Loki-related and now that Loki isn't involved with this film, one must wonder on where that will leave the character.

Plus, out of all of the major characters in this film, we've heard considerably less about Thor's role in it.
Mostly because what we have heard about the characters has come from the actors being asked questions during interviews for other movies. Hemsworth hasn't had a movie recently.

1) Captain America: Civil War 2) The Avengers 3) The Dark Knight 4) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 5) Logan 6) Iron Man 7) Batman Begins 8) X-men 2 9) Spiderman 2 10) Superman
Old 08-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #318
warriorking
Side-Kick

Lets hope that Thor is not slapped around by Ultron like his B****..
I want Thor to give Ultron a run for his money..
Ultron for all his advanced intelligence and power is still facing an unknown taking on an Asgardian of Thor's stature....
Sure in a protracted one on one battle Ultron might defeat Thor since Marvel has decided to weaken him significantly compared to his comic book role..
I don't want him diminished to the point that Ultron shows no damage engaging the God of Thunder...

Last edited by warriorking; 08-26-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #319
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
I ain't buying it.

I'm kind of looking for a more tactical battle instead of 2 high level Marvel characters throwing each other into buildings for 5 minutes.
It doen't mater where they fight or not. What matters is if the fight serves the story and isn't just a fight for the sake of fighting.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 08-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #320
Venomfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
I ain't buying it.

The point of posting that wasn't about wanting them to keep fighting, it was for all the people wondering about Thors power level in the movies. According to Whedon, in the MCU, Thor is not the most powerful avenger

Old 08-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #321
warriorking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomfan View Post
The point of posting that wasn't about wanting them to keep fighting, it was for all the people wondering about Thors power level in the movies. According to Whedon, in the MCU, Thor is not the most powerful avenger
Yea it's really disapointing how Marvel has decided to weaken Thor to fit that narrative.
Stan Lee himself said he created Thor as the most powerful in the Marvel comics...
Not sure any of the other Avengers can lay claim to the title of "Protector of the nine realms"..
A position Thor has earned through trial and combat, and not just because he's Odin's son..
Just saying...
Lets pray Whedon doesn't weaken him even further....

Last edited by warriorking; 08-28-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #322
The Endless
WE are Groot

Thor has been done a disservice. Simple as that really. And its a shame because he is such an interesting character with a rich and wonderfully imaginative mythos.

But instead his films are basically rom/coms, he is ironically overshadowed by Loki and he has been completely neutered in terms of ability.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #323
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Still he has the biggest feat of power in the MCU among heroes. Twice. And in a very limited fight where he fought Hulk at Hulk's game, he looked damn good.

Not sure where the disappoinment is coming from.

He's the only hero we haven't seen seriously hurt I feel like. He leveled a chunk of Jotenheim, and one shot two of the dragon birds

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #324
fixxxer
...goes to 11

^

Agreed. I don't get the "Thor has not been represented well" crowd either.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #325
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

I'm ok with his level of power (though more variety would be nice)

My issue with how Thor's been presented is that he hasn't had an actual arc in what, 3 films now?
Since the first Thor...

it's cool and all if he swoops in and blows some s**t up
but some, i dunno, dialogue and more robust character interaction would be nice
Thor and Cap are my favorite buddy team in the comics, would like to see more of that