The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #326
warriorking
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ultron! We Would Have Words With Thee! Official Thor/Chris Hemworth Thread

Its not that I hate the way Thor is shown in the current Marvel Movie Universe, some of his feats have been pretty awesome, its just compared to what we have seen from the other Avengers we are still lacking the Holy Sh** moment that sets Thor far apart from the others...
I want the current group of Avengers to see something from Thor that leaves them as well as the audience in a bit of shock...

Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #327
Ghostcrow13
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ultron! We Would Have Words With Thee! Official Thor/Chris Hemworth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
Its not that I hate the way Thor is shown in the current Marvel Movie Universe, some of his feats have been pretty awesome, its just compared to what we have seen from the other Avengers we are still lacking the Holy Sh** moment that sets Thor far apart from the others...
I want the current group of Avengers to see something from Thor that leaves them as well as the audience in a bit of shock...
I only think Iron Man and Cap have had holy s*** moments and those moments were the whole of Iron Man and Cap 2.

Hulk had great moments in A1 but nothing jaw-dropping and obviously Widow or Hawkeye haven't either.

Maybe one of the few things that can be improved in AoU is everyone having their big moment.

1) Captain America: Civil War 2) The Avengers 3) The Dark Knight 4) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 5) Logan 6) Iron Man 7) Batman Begins 8) X-men 2 9) Spiderman 2 10) Superman
Old 08-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #328
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I'm ok with his level of power (though more variety would be nice)

My issue with how Thor's been presented is that he hasn't had an actual arc in what, 3 films now?
Since the first Thor...

it's cool and all if he swoops in and blows some s**t up
but some, i dunno, dialogue and more robust character interaction would be nice
Thor and Cap are my favorite buddy team in the comics, would like to see more of that
He definitely had an arc in The Dark World. Both in going from the dutiful son and heir to the throne to choosing his own fate and stepping away from ruling to follow his heart, and in coming from having given up on Loki to finding forgiveness and love for his brother again. Someone might not like how it was presented but to say it wasn't there is wrong.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #329
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
He definitely had an arc in The Dark World. Both in going from the dutiful son and heir to the throne to choosing his own fate and stepping away from ruling to follow his heart, and in coming from having given up on Loki to finding forgiveness and love for his brother again. Someone might not like how it was presented but to say it wasn't there is wrong.
Eh, have to respectfully disagree
His arc of going from "dutiful son" to "choosing his own fate" didn't feel at all earned. He was already unhappy with his role in Asgard at the beginning of the film, and over the course of the film, he simply decided he wanted to be closer to Jane, more or less. There was nothing about ruling in particular that put him off, and he's still the "defender of the 9 realms", he's just doing it from earth instead. Had they shown him growing away from Odin's style of ruling, disagreeing more emotionally with his decisions, and shown that he grew in maturity by deciding he didn't like what being a King entailed, then I could buy it. As it was presented though, it felt forced and like the whole thing came out of nowhere.
As for Loki, yes, Thor forgave him.. showing empathy and maturity that he had learned during the first film. Thor has always been hopeful for Loki, even when he gets to that point of smacking him around in Avengers. So it should come as no surprise, even to people who only saw the first Thor, that he would be more than happy to see Loki redeemed. So again, that doesn't seem like growth or change to me, it's the result of his growth from the first movie.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:40 AM   #330
fixxxer
...goes to 11

Quote:
His arc of going from "dutiful son" to "choosing his own fate" didn't feel at all earned. He was already unhappy with his role in Asgard at the beginning of the film, and over the course of the film, he simply decided he wanted to be closer to Jane, more or less. There was nothing about ruling in particular that put him off, and he's still the "defender of the 9 realms", he's just doing it from earth instead. Had they shown him growing away from Odin's style of ruling, disagreeing more emotionally with his decisions, and shown that he grew in maturity by deciding he didn't like what being a King entailed, then I could buy it. As it was presented though, it felt forced and like the whole thing came out of nowhere.
As for Loki, yes, Thor forgave him.. showing empathy and maturity that he had learned during the first film. Thor has always been hopeful for Loki, even when he gets to that point of smacking him around in Avengers. So it should come as no surprise, even to people who only saw the first Thor, that he would be more than happy to see Loki redeemed. So again, that doesn't seem like growth or change to me, it's the result of his growth from the first movie.
T:TDW got quite a few things wrong. The climactic battle seemed quite inconsistent in its tone and the focus on Darcy's brand of dull, slapstick humor (throughout, but especially during the final battle) was unnecessary. The decision not to use the alternate climax that we heard of wherein Thor pulls lightning from all 9 realms was somewhat perplexing. Selvig's brain-addled turn was nice, but they overdid it a bit. Was it really necessary to show the exact same "I'm naked and looney" scene twice? Portman turned in a dull, "paint by the numbers" performance... which was all the more disappointing because we know how good of an actress she can be. Sif and the Warriors Three were criminally underused. Malekith was paper thin due to how little time we spend with him.

However. Because of some of that stuff, it's easy to overlook what T:TDW got right. Loki was pitch perfect throughout and Thor's characterization was really great as well. Loki's performance got all the acclaim, but that IMO was a function of his character. Loki's flamboyant and colorful, while Thor gets relegated to a more straightforward role... which is as it should be. That doesn't mean that Thor was less interesting. His character beats when putting forward his strategy against Odin's, post-Dark Elf invasion was superb. Especially when you saw the negatives and positives of both strategies.

I'm not sure you can say that Thor didn't get a "character arc" when the entire movie is basically about how he defies his father in the face of his mother's death, the imminent danger to his girlfriend and the entire universe, which essentially causes him to abandon his home. Not to mention his relationship with his brother, which went from Loki being completely irredeemable (in his eyes) to gaining some measure of redemption (again, in his eyes).

Again, my point is that, while T:TDW was a flawed movie (though not nearly as flawed as one would think, going by its reputation in these here parts) Thor was not shortchanged.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #331
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
All I see is you saying you disagree and then agree with me, seeing how you actually state what the arc is made up of but that you don't like how it was presented.

When the movie starts he is doing what needs to be done so he can become king, putting the needs of others before his own desires. He finds out that he doesn't agree with how Asgard is ruled and realizes that it might not be Odin who's an idiot but that's what ruling does to you, and demands of you. He decides that he doesn't have what it takes and leaves the responsibility to instead do what he desires.

If he didn't have an arc he would have done what Odin told him the entire movie, or at the very least opposed it once and then regretted it, leaving him just listening to Odin at the end again.

As for the Loki part, what does surprise have to do with it? Few character arcs in the MCU have been surprising, especially since we already know the characters.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #332
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
All I see is you saying you disagree and then agree with me, seeing how you actually state what the arc is made up of but that you don't like how it was presented.

As for the Loki part, what does surprise have to do with it? Few character arcs in the MCU have been surprising, especially since we already know the characters.
No what I'm saying is, I see the vague idea of an arc there, but without any actual progress or movement by the character, until he arbitrarily "changes" at the end of the film without it particularly making any sense or feeling real. I'm not saying I disagree with how his character progression was done, I'm saying it was missing.

And again, with Loki it wasn't about the "surprise" of it all, my point was that Thor was already eager to forgive him and see him redeemed. So what he does at the end isn't much of an arc, it was an inevitability.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #333
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Well said. I feel this way as well and you put it much better than I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
T:TDW got quite a few things wrong. The climactic battle seemed quite inconsistent in its tone and the focus on Darcy's brand of dull, slapstick humor (throughout, but especially during the final battle) was unnecessary. The decision not to use the alternate climax that we heard of wherein Thor pulls lightning from all 9 realms was somewhat perplexing. Selvig's brain-addled turn was nice, but they overdid it a bit. Was it really necessary to show the exact same "I'm naked and looney" scene twice? Portman turned in a dull, "paint by the numbers" performance... which was all the more disappointing because we know how good of an actress she can be. Sif and the Warriors Three were criminally underused. Malekith was paper thin due to how little time we spend with him.

However. Because of some of that stuff, it's easy to overlook what T:TDW got right. Loki was pitch perfect throughout and Thor's characterization was really great as well. Loki's performance got all the acclaim, but that IMO was a function of his character. Loki's flamboyant and colorful, while Thor gets relegated to a more straightforward role... which is as it should be. That doesn't mean that Thor was less interesting. His character beats when putting forward his strategy against Odin's, post-Dark Elf invasion was superb. Especially when you saw the negatives and positives of both strategies.

I'm not sure you can say that Thor didn't get a "character arc" when the entire movie is basically about how he defies his father in the face of his mother's death, the imminent danger to his girlfriend and the entire universe, which essentially causes him to abandon his home. Not to mention his relationship with his brother, which went from Loki being completely irredeemable (in his eyes) to gaining some measure of redemption (again, in his eyes).

Again, my point is that, while T:TDW was a flawed movie (though not nearly as flawed as one would think, going by its reputation in these here parts) Thor was not shortchanged.
Loki's character got acclaim because he had an arc, a good story for his character. Joker and Black Widow were more flamboyant than the title characters of their last film appearances, but the main character had a better story, a full featured arc, and was thus at least as interesting, even though they were very straightforward characters. Thor is always defying his father and always seeing Loki as redeemable. There's no growth or progress or anything interesting for him there. Thor was absolutely less interesting, because he didn't have a good arc. He did stuff Thor always does, or something random with no buildup.

Loki didn't just steal scenes as usual, he stole the whole show. Loki on the throne is the resolution of the film. Thor reuniting with Jane is just an after credits scene. This makes sense because Loki had a solid arc in the film of growth that was new for the character and constant throughout the film. The fact that Loki is the only great thing about the film says everything that needs to be said about Thor:TDW.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #334
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
No what I'm saying is, I see the vague idea of an arc there, but without any actual progress or movement by the character, until he arbitrarily "changes" at the end of the film without it particularly making any sense or feeling real. I'm not saying I disagree with how his character progression was done, I'm saying it was missing.

And again, with Loki it wasn't about the "surprise" of it all, my point was that Thor was already eager to forgive him and see him redeemed. So what he does at the end isn't much of an arc, it was an inevitability.
It isn't an arbitrary change unless you choose to completely ignore the movie and what I've written to you. I listed what happens and I take that from actual scenes. Him arguing with Odin and going on to disobey him with his own plan, in order to try to save more lives, is one of the steps and takes up quite a bit of time in the movie. Things like that should be pretty hard to miss, and if you don't miss them it's obvious that it's not arbitrary. But if you think the change was as unfounded as Thor saying "I'm going to be Iron Man" at the end then that will have to stand for you and we have no further use for discussion.

The thing with Loki wasn't really meant to say that it was Thor's personal arc (that's the above part) but rather part of the arc of their relationship. I just used it as well to show that the movie does change things during it's course. That we expected Thor to forgive Loki is irrelevant since when the movie starts he has not done that.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #335
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

him arguing with Odin was one weak scene that lasted for like a minute, it didn't feel like "quite a bit of time", the movie would've been vastly improved had they actually focused on more of the court intrigue and familial drama, show the shady s**t that Odin and Bor before him had committed, and have Thor grow away from all of it, then it would've been a real arc... but hey if the one scene does it for you, then yeah whatever, this discussion can go away

Last edited by BoredGuy; 09-02-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #336
fixxxer
...goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Loki's character got acclaim because he had an arc, a good story for his character. Joker and Black Widow were more flamboyant than the title characters of their last film appearances, but the main character had a better story, a full featured arc, and was thus at least as interesting, even though they were very straightforward characters. Thor is always defying his father and always seeing Loki as redeemable. There's no growth or progress or anything interesting for him there. Thor was absolutely less interesting, because he didn't have a good arc. He did stuff Thor always does, or something random with no buildup.

Loki didn't just steal scenes as usual, he stole the whole show. Loki on the throne is the resolution of the film. Thor reuniting with Jane is just an after credits scene. This makes sense because Loki had a solid arc in the film of growth that was new for the character and constant throughout the film. The fact that Loki is the only great thing about the film says everything that needs to be said about Thor:TDW.
No, Loki's character got acclaim because he's an inherently more interesting character. If you're defining a character arc in terms of character growth, Thor got an arc in every way Loki did. Loki was in Asgard-jail, grieved his mom, made a pact of convenience with his brother, faked a heroic death, pulled a few signature tricks, ended up on the throne. Thor started off keeping the peace in the 9 realms, visited his in-danger "girlfriend", whisked her away to Asgard, made a pact of convenience with his brother, defied Odin, saved the universe (unfortunately, with the help of Jane's intern and Jane's intern's intern ), rejected Asgard.

You're essentially reacting to the fact that you found Loki to be the more interesting character. So did most people did. And that's absolutely fine since he's the one who's always scheming, has the acerbic wit and portrayed by a fantastic actor. Thor on the other hand is the more traditional, straight-laced, headstrong hero played by a good actor. To summarize, you liked the schemes Loki pulled, you liked the wickedly witty dialogue and the performance. But "arc" is not shorthand for those things.

This is how film schools often teach their students to bifurcate a film's component aspects. The physical journey of a character is driven by story. The intellectual journey, by the plot. The emotional journey of a character is what goes into the arc. Personally, I think all if that is hokum and don't judge a movie in a paint-by-numbers fashion that boils everything down to a formula. However, since you place an inordinate amount of importance on "arc", you cannot, with a straight face, tell me that Loki's emotional journey over the course of the film was greater than Thor's.

Look, as I've stated before, T:TDW is a flawed film that is more intent hitting certain predefined marks out of workmanlike duty rather than investing in giving the audience a story that ought to be full of magic (magic as in film magic, not Asgardian science/magic) and wonder. Which, as an aside, I thought GOTG absolutely pulled off.

However, it really seems like you are calling for Thor to behave in ways that would go against his character. What you call the lack of an arc, in this case, would merely be consistent characterization.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #337
warriorking
Side-Kick

And lets not get me started about Thor's runtime..
It threw red flags at me when I first heard about it and it was evident throughout the movie..
Another 10 minutes of runtime would have done wonders for certain scenes in TDW, and I am not talking about Darcey....
And the release date was another problem as well, sure TDW was number one for 2 straight weeks but a spring or summer release date would have probably added another 35 to 40 Million to the domestic box office...
I enjoyed TDW, but it smelled of too much studio interference...
Hopefully Marvel will not make that mistake again....
As for Whedon and AOU lets hope Thor gets his moments in the Sun...

Last edited by warriorking; 09-03-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #338
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
him arguing with Odin was one weak scene that lasted for like a minute, it didn't feel like "quite a bit of time", the movie would've been vastly improved had they actually focused on more of the court intrigue and familial drama, show the shady s**t that Odin and Bor before him had committed, and have Thor grow away from all of it, then it would've been a real arc... but hey if the one scene does it for you, then yeah whatever, this discussion can go away
So you take a fraction of the part I mentioned and then quote me on the time for that fraction? Right. And you're still talking about presentation rather than existence so yes, this can definitely go away or I'll become the bored guy.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #339
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Bored Guy has made up his mind. It isn't really even a discussion

Old 09-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #340
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

well hey, to you guys, thor's arc felt way more present than it did to me, good on ya
thats why i started out saying i had to respectfully disagree, but by all means, keep trying to prove my opinion wrong

Old 10-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #341
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Thor's suit looks slightly upgraded from his appearance TDW in the Age of Ultron trailer.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #342
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Thor's suit looks slightly upgraded from his appearance TDW in the Age of Ultron trailer.
Slight. But it really is pretty close to the same. So far the only difference I've been able to notice is that the metal discs/plates on his torso are back to being silver instead of the bronze-ish color they were in TDW

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #343
walltron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
Slight. But it really is pretty close to the same. So far the only difference I've been able to notice is that the metal discs/plates on his torso are back to being silver instead of the bronze-ish color they were in TDW

the top discs are also farther apart in this one. the breast plate is also bulkier and the side of his pecs no longer show like the TDW one. I prefer the TDW's regal look myself

Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #344
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

We need some visual love in here. Gifs from the Wallpaper & Gifs/Avvy Thread

and I've mentioned it in other threads, but dang... Hemsworth's arms, I really really love the sleeveless look on him

and my personal favorite (thank you Joss!) ...

~Agents of SHIELD

Last edited by Silvermoon; 10-23-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #345
walltron
Side-Kick

guaranteed thor is summoning lightning in that shirtless scene

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #346
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

The arms are nice but I love Tony's vest.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #347
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

fun trailer.
will Thor get his do?
Time will tell.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:36 AM   #348
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

So....Thor loses MJOLNIR....?!?!

Wow. Wondering how that comes about. Looks like we get Thor minus Mjolnir, Cap minus the shield, and Hulk minus a certain big green rage monster. Ultron apparently finds a way to depower his enemies, as well as dividing and conquering them.

I'm wondering, too, if Thor gets "called home" before he can finish the fight against Ultron. The IMDB cast lists Asgardian extras, so at *some* point in this movie, Thor either has a flashback about home or --- I'm guessing more likely --- winds up returning to Asgard.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 10-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #349
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
So....Thor loses MJOLNIR....?!?!
I don't like that idea.
But I'll wait it out and see what happens.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #350
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Where has it been said or shown that Thor loses Mjolnir?

Closed Thread