The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Flash

Old 03-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #101
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Default Re: The Iris West/Candice Patton Thread - Part 1

Back in the day I did a whole lotta HATE watching since I figured "I put 5 years into this, im going to finish it out" but the older I get the easier it is to let go of shows. I immediately quit Arrow following Laurels last episode of S4 and came back when she came back and it was so easy!

Kevin Smith showing some love

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 03-18-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:56 PM   #102
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
That's a hell of a first post! It is curious how people keep watching things they hate, I watched Wrestling for 25 years and when I started to hate the changes I stopped wacthing as I saw no point in watching purely to rant about how much I hate it every week on the forum, but for some the hate is like breathing I guess.

The Instagram stuff is interesting, I notice Candice likes posting cosy couples stills of Barry and Iris when promoting the eps, I wonder if she does it mostly for the likes or to mostly to boil the piss of her haters.
I'm baffled by that type of fandom. It usually takes me about 3 episodes to decide if a series is worth continuing or if I just move on to something else. I can't imagine watching a show where I regularly get online to vent my frustrations about it. That sounds like an unnecessary chore.

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

Venom: 5/4/07 = Humiliation. 10/5/18 = Redemption?

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:34 AM   #103
Brierrose
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonComet View Post
Just having a little lurk in this forum. I was drawn to this discussion. I will exit as easily as I entered.

One of the most comical and wonderous things about the character of Iris West-Allen played by Candice Patton is the endless obsession fans have with her. You've got her dedicated fandom (they had #RunIrisRun trending worldwide just like *that*), general fans who watch, go back to their normal lives and would need a dictionary to understand the word fandom. Then there's those who have a vitriol hatred for her.

You know? You can visualize the steam coming from their ears and the white knuckling of their palms. The disdain isn't just for Iris West-Allen, it extends to Candice Patton too, and boy is it quite interesting. Is it logical? Does the answer to that question even matter? No.

Why? Purely for the fact...No matter what. All of this. Year after year, has done nothing but work to her benefit. The fact that anyone can sit down and talk ad nauseam in forums and on social media about a character they loathe is beautiful thing.....for said character.

Jumping from a Forum, to Facebook to revel in the hate for said character. Rejoicing in the meeting of minds at how much you hate them. At every turn she does something oh so monstrous and it must be discussed.

I don't like Felicity Smoak. The last time I wrote that sentence was in 2016 when I stopped watching Arrow. I didn't like Laurel Lance either. I rarely discussed her until I started liking her because she was not worth the mention in my mind.

There isn't a character more powerful than one that is fiercely loved and fiercely hated. That's why in the Game of Thrones, Iris West-Allen wins.

To hate a character, to have a strong belief he/she ruins the show....and continue to watch and talk about it/her? Bravo! Brava! To said character. Indifference is a slow death. To love or hate is an obsession. A welcomed fixatation. "God I hate her....same time next week? Yup. God I she's loathsome...same time next week? God I hate her...how long is the hiatus?"

The harder antis hates, the harder fans loves. The more feverent buzz generated.

Haters love to claim they speak for the majority. It's the binkie of validity. Grant Gustin's Instagram post of the Westallen Wedding hit 1 Million Likes but you know, the "majority". Iris' speedster poster hits something like 620K Likes+. The main account posting Iris' poster gets over 235,000+ Likes in one day vs the Killer Frost one is still at 189,000+ after three months. At Comic Con (which I attended) Candice Patton received the loudest cheers upon her coming on stage and during the trailer but the "majority" right? Same with Arrow, the "majority" hate Felicity or Laurel but these defeaning cheers say otherwise.

Little secret, the "majority" that's spoken off will always hate female characters no matter. Said female character will always be destroying the show and driving away the "majority". That narrative will never die and it will never be the truth.

I disliked Felicity and Laurel at different points but I was blessed with a sound mind. Neither character ruined the show.

The love and hate are the balance. Guggenheim woke a beast when he killed off Laurel and welcome back Miss Lance. Felicity started off loved. The vitriol hatred that followed was the perfect balancing act. Their haters make them stronger. If only haters knew that but they can't physically stop themselves. Same with Iris. The Speedforce draws them to her. Must bash Iris!
Must have her name in my mouth and on my keyboard.

Then there's indifference, Caitlin Snow. She doesn't blow a strong wind. It's not her fault. Her fans spend as much time, if not more time talking about Iris. Or using Caitlin as a self insert in this "Snowbarry" crackship. Due to the latter she became the revolving door for male guest stars: Ronnie, Hunter and Julian. Welcome to casa Caitlin! The former has led to the complete recton of Killer Frost S3 and the humorless comedy of men needing to yell in her face like she's the Siri on their iPhone to awaken Killer Frost.

Laurel fans ensured that the value of her character was NOT Lauriver. That's why bringing her back has been so easy. You could count on your hand the Laurel fans that still want Lauriver. Caitlin fans still to this day, desperately try to convince themselves Barry Allen, who declares his love for Iris nearly every episode is interested in Caitlin....*brief pause for embarassment*.....how can the writers value a character who isn't valued by her own fans? How can that level of indifference to who she is from her own fans do anything but devalue her season by season?

Patty Spivot. Indifference. She could've had it all but no impact. I could elaborate but it's been two years and we'll never see her again. You get the point. We were knee deep in her character and relationship with Barry and nothing. Evoke an emotion. Any emotion and make it have an impact. No? Let's keep moving.

Iris West-Allen's greatest super power is literally no one will shut up about her. Comical and wonderous.

Love her or hate her. Just know....you are the wind beneath her wings. The butter to her bread. The
enema to her constipation. To put it simply...

CrimsonComet you just won the internet for me. The hate keeps me out of the Flash boards but I'm watching the show.

Brierrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #104
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

hopefully iris will have some compelling storylines to come in the season finale and next season. Very cool that the character has become more prominent, and finally Ebony magazine is catching up. Many black sci-fi/fantasy genre actors don't get consistent coverage from the mainstream black press.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #105
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Old 06-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #106
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Candice celebrated her 30th birthday yesterday.

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

Venom: 5/4/07 = Humiliation. 10/5/18 = Redemption?

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote