Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #326
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Re: FIFA World Cup (Russia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvtLeeTDK View Post
Just checked out Hierro's career statistic. How the feck did a CB/CDM score 21 goals in the league and 26 goals all competition. ?
Yeah he was a regular goalscorer. More than a hundred goals for Real too.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #327
LvtLeeTDK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Yeah he was a regular goalscorer. More than a hundred goals for Real too.
That's a striker's number dude. There's no way a defender can score that much.

Were the majority of his goals heading from corners and freekicks or he just went forward and scored from teamplay ?

Old 06-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #328
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Drastic move from Spain, very reactionary with so little time.

Quote:
That's a striker's number dude. There's no way a defender can score that much.

Were the majority of his goals heading from corners and freekicks or he just went forward and scored from teamplay ?
I think he took the penalties as well.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #329
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Ronald Koeman is the highest goal scoring defender in history I think.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #330
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Haha Real Madrid acted billy big bollocks one too many times. Spanish government should sell off their ground and training ground for messing with the nation. Real Madrid don't own either of them.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #331
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Haha Real Madrid acted billy big bollocks one too many times. Spanish government should sell off their ground and training ground for messing with the nation. Real Madrid don't own either of them.
That would be funny.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #332
AverageMan
Fighting for Average men

Can't believe this starts tomorrow. Going to have to get Iplayer on my computer in work to watch the opening game!!

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Edition 2. Superman: The Movie 3. Man of Steel 4. Superman II 5. Superman Returns 6. Superman III 7. Justice league 8. Superman IV - The Quest for Peace
Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #333
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't understand why they were s urgent in their pursuit since he had just signed an extension with the national team until 2020 so there was no risk that he'd be snapped up by anyone else. Really bizarre that they couldn't just wait a month.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #334
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMan View Post
Can't believe this starts tomorrow. Going to have to get Iplayer on my computer in work to watch the opening game!!
Just get a big screen TV installed in your office mate.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #335
LvtLeeTDK
Side-Kick

Yah I'm excited too. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to watch this year's WC because my national university entrance exam (most important exam in my country) is gonna start in 10 days. Now I don't have to attend the exam, can enjoy this pinnacle of football while my friends are drowning in exercises and lessons

Old 06-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #336
BlackFox
Deadpool forever!?!

Crazy start to the tourne before it even kicks off! Spain in turmoil, England closing in on the title already...

Sure Spain will still be a major player in the comp but that game against Portugal will be an even more interesting one now, a poor start from them could spell trouble and Portugal win would mean they could yet be a dark horse after that Euros success.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #337
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

2026 FIFA World Cup will be awarded to USA/Canada/Mexico

Old 06-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #338
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Yah I'm excited too. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to watch this year's WC because my national university entrance exam (most important exam in my country) is gonna start in 10 days. Now I don't have to attend the exam, can enjoy this pinnacle of football while my friends are drowning in exercises and lessons
Haha, nice one

Old 06-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #339
Mondragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Breaking news !!

USA, Canada and Mexico to co-host 2026 FIFA World Cup.
So will all three automatically qualify?

Old 06-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #340
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Yes but that world cup will have 42 nations.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #341
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

Quote:
Yes but that world cup will have 42 nations.
42 divided by 4 does not give an even number of group allowance. Unless I'm missing something very obvious.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #342
Iceman
Infinity War!

I think it will be 48 teams.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #343
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPresident View Post
I don't understand why they were s urgent in their pursuit since he had just signed an extension with the national team until 2020 so there was no risk that he'd be snapped up by anyone else. Really bizarre that they couldn't just wait a month.
Probably more to do with him being worried about having a bad World Cup and not being desirable anymore. But seriously, this is on their FA. This is really stupid imo.

Anyways, the World Cup will be here in 2026.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #344
BlackFox
Deadpool forever!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
42 divided by 4 does not give an even number of group allowance. Unless I'm missing something very obvious.
48 Teams, 16 groups of 3. Yep as mental as it sounds. Top 2 from each group qualify.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #345
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
48 Teams, 16 groups of 3. Yep as mental as it sounds. Top 2 from each group qualify.
It could enhance the drama of the tournament as more of the matches will be knockout and there is less room for error in the group games when you only play twice. No easing into the tournament. Losing any game now will be a huge deal. Although the seeds should be playing against weak teams. No groups of death any more.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #346
BlackFox
Deadpool forever!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
It could enhance the drama of the tournament as more of the matches will be knockout and there is less room for error in the group games when you only play twice. No easing into the tournament. Losing any game now will be a huge deal. Although the seeds should be playing against weak teams. No groups of death any more.
It also means teams could get through with parking the bus with two 0-0 results and yeah the likelyhood of 3 decent teams in one group is unlikely what with seeding and with 48 teams your going to have some dire groups in there.

Back in the olden times they used to have a group of 3 but you would have like Brazil, Italy and Germany in one group and say France, England and Spain in another, now thats tasty but this seems like its going to get watered down and make for some painful matchups, quantity over quality but that makes more money unfortunately.

We saw how bad expanding the Euros to 24 teams made for a much poorer finals on the pitch compares to the usual 16, the same will likely happen here.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #347
DarthSkywalker

Honestly, it is the same amount of matches, with one extra knockout round and one less group match for each team. Can't imagine that not working out in the drama stakes. Group play hasn't been good for a long time now.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #348
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
It also means teams could get through with parking the bus with two 0-0 results and yeah the likelyhood of 3 decent teams in one group is unlikely what with seeding and with 48 teams your going to have some dire groups in there.

Back in the olden times they used to have a group of 3 but you would have like Brazil, Italy and Germany in one group and say France, England and Spain in another, now thats tasty but this seems like its going to get watered down and make for some painful matchups, quantity over quality but that makes more money unfortunately.
It's been obviously done for money but I think getting more teams who have little hope of getting to a finals from other parts of the world will be good for football in the long run. The group stage will be make or break for the weak teams. Anyone who gets any win is already almost through. And any big team who doesn't turn up on day 1 will have to bring it in their 2nd game if they don't win their first. Sounds interesting at least even if there are plenty of negatives with it too.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #349
BlackFox
Deadpool forever!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Honestly, it is the same amount of matches, with one extra knockout round and one less group match for each team. Can't imagine that not working out in the drama stakes. Group play hasn't been good for a long time now.
Yeah there will be some for sure and some groups will be close no doubt but there will be some pretty low ranking teams involved with 48 involved so the quality wont be high, the last WC group stages were pretty damn good with plenty of goals, but having 3 in group is not bad in itself just who those 3 are.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #350
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Yeah there will be some for sure and some groups will be close no doubt but there will be some pretty low ranking teams involved with 48 involved so the quality wont be high, the last WC group stages were pretty damn good with plenty of goals, but having 3 in group is not bad in itself just who those 3 are.
I agree there will be a bit of a quality hit. But honestly, how much difference is there between team 17 and team 48? At the top, there is definitely a difference. But heck, once you get to England, we are looking at pretty similar quality level on down.