The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #701
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Wrestling Thread Is Full, But We Hear TNA Is Hiring! - - Part 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Can they sell out 20,000? Or will they use the theater that once held the NFL Draft? If it's the latter, they can sell out easily. If it's the arena itself, that might be hard to do.

Pro wrestling is still considered a joke despite the massive successes of Dwayne Johnson, Dave Bautista and to a lesser degree John Cena.
Probably the Hulu Theater.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #702
Darkness Falls
We Could Be Heroes.....

Default Re: The Wrestling Thread Is Full, But We Hear TNA Is Hiring! - - Part 251

wwe's booking lately has been exhausting to watch with exception to nxt of course
like i'm pretty open minded when it comes to the shows, but lately it's been harder to justify not fast forwarding entire sections and/or reading results of shows/ppvs

the fact they have so much talent and just sit on it is ridiculous
how do u take the lashley from tna and do this crap with zayn (who is also suffering)

Old 06-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #703
strikezone89
Smarks Chat CM PUNK :-/

Watching Smackdown for the first time in a bit... did Lana drop the accent?

1) The Dark Knight 2) Ant Man 3) Captain America: Civil War 4) X-Men: First Class 5)The Avengers

"Let's put a smile on that face"
Old 06-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #704
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikezone89 View Post
Her accent has been in and out on Total Divas.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #705
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness Falls View Post
the fact they have so much talent and just sit on it is ridiculous
how do u take the lashley from tna and do this crap with zayn (who is also suffering)
The writing for the feud is terrible.

I think a better written heel Lashley and face Sami feud could of been good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikezone89 View Post
She generally struggles to maintain her accent now. They may as well have her drop it like Kofi did with his fake Jamaican accent.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #706
Ultron
Side-Kick

In the spirit of the awful RAW booking, I am going to predict that Rhonda Rousey puts Nia Jax in the arm bar at MIB, Nia will tap but Rhonda won't let go and injure/break Nia's arm. Then Rhonda will become a heel and Nia can go from baby face who was bullied, to bully heel and now back to baby face in a matter of 6 months.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #707
LibSuperstar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
In the spirit of the awful RAW booking, I am going to predict that Rhonda Rousey puts Nia Jax in the arm bar at MIB, Nia will tap but Rhonda won't let go and injure/break Nia's arm. Then Rhonda will become a heel and Nia can go from baby face who was bullied, to bully heel and now back to baby face in a matter of 6 months.
That could work but I can see a run-in (maybe Bliss or Natalya) to cause a DQ to protect both women. WWE does seem intent on keeping Rousey face right now.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #708
cabel
Side-Kick

Lucha Underground returns tonight!

Old 06-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #709
javonstokess
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Lashley is just a huge disappointment thus far. After how he rebuilt himself as "Walking Armageddon" over the last three years, to see him being so white bread and stuck in this terrible feud is sad. Where's the Lashley who, as World Champion, speared EC3 during his introduction, then forced JB to finish introducing him. That's the Lashley I want to see.
Vince has zero idea how to properly push/market black wrestlers. He's proven time and time again that he's not good at it.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #710
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by javonstokess View Post
Vince has zero idea how to properly push/market black wrestlers. He's proven time and time again that he's not good at it.
He's been successful at it once and that guy is currently the biggest movie star in the world.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #711
nite-owl
Side-Kick

Old 06-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #712
javonstokess
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
He's been successful at it once and that guy is currently the biggest movie star in the world.
With all due respect to the Rock, he's just light enough to pass for "not black". Also, Vince damn near torpedo-ed Rock's career at the start. If it wasn't for Rock HIMSELF he wouldn't have gotten over. Same thing happened with the New Day.

The sentiment remains if the best example you can find is ONE guy though.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #713
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

After being distracted by signing up to NJPW World and watching a bunch of stuff from there, I’m back onto my rewatch of some of ny old faves. After going through the career of my #1 all-time favourite wrestler, Daniel Bryan, I’ve moved onto #2 in my all-time standings: Chris Jericho.

I’ve divided my watch-through into two halves. I’m starting with what I’ll call the Long Tights Jericho Era. What struck me about going back to some of these matches was that, though Jericho was my fave at the time and his character work was often top notch, the matches themselves didn’t always hold up as well as I remembered. Jericho is a guy who, while always great, didn’t truly hit peak form until later in his career.

CHRIS JERICHO VS ULTIMO DRAGON, WCW BASH AT THE BEACH 1997

I can’t recall exactly when I first heard of Chris Jericho, but this is the first match I can recall jumping on the radar, establishing him in my mind as a legit Cruiserweight Champion. So, I was keen to revisit it. Sadly, looking back at it now, I was disappointed to see how disinterested the crowd was in the action, chanting for NWO star Syxx (as they’d been conditioned by this point to think all the regular WCW stars were scrubs and losers and the cool characters were all in the NWO), waving laser pens at the wrestlers, or, as the match continued and they got antsy for it to finish, started booing and even chanting “Boring!” And these guys deserved better, as they put on a fast-paced, cleverly structured match, packed with reversals upon reversals and some impressive aerial attacks.

CHRIS JERICHO VS EDDIE GUERRERO, FALL BRAWL 1997

Considering the level of talent involved in this match, I was disappointed to discover, going back to it, that it’s mostly just solid rather than truly hitting that next level and entertaining “great” territory. What strikes me watching early Jericho matches is that, though he was always athletic, his white meat babyface persona is so grating and borderline ridiculous that it’s hard to imagine the idea of amping it up just a little more to turn him into an amazing heel wasn’t always on the cards. But it’s Guerrero that’s the heel here, and this is very much Guerrero’s match. He’s clearly having a blast going all out with the dirty tactics: the complaints to the referee about non-existent hair-pulling from Jericho, immediately following that by pulling Jericho’s hair, the feet on the ropes. I remember at the time being struck by how Eddie just LOOKED different as a heel, with the greasy hair and mean facials.

CHRIS JERICHO VS JUVENTUD GUERRERA, WCW SUPERBRAWL VIII

You could argue that this match is more significant from a story perspective than the match itself, with this marking the beginning of the “trophy hunter” phase of Jericho’s WCW career and Guerrera losing his famous mask - at the time it felt dramatic rather than perfunctory and driven by Bischoff’s hatred of masks - but the match itself is no slouch either. The pair gel well, pulling off some offensive sequences that still feel crisp and fast 20 years later. And Jericho’s in-ring game was enhanced so much by embracing the heel persona. All the little bits of character business here, from his early insisting on wearing the belt to the dirty tactics throughout the match, help to elevate the match and give it a story beyond the aerial athletics. By going heel, and continuing to refine his crazed, delusional persona, Jericho went from just another talented but largely ignored cruiserweight to being the best act in WCW, even if the top brass obstinately refused to pay attention.

CHRIS JERICHO VS DEAN MALENKO, WCW SLAMBOREE 1998

The best stuff about this match comes before the actual match begins. You really have to watch the Battle Royal that precedes it, if just for the hilariously scummy entrance announcing of the participants Jericho does as they make their way to the ring, a wonderful showcase of what an obnoxious jerk his character was. Then, at the end of the battle royal, when Ciclope unmasks as Dean Malenko, the crowd EXPLODES. Even heel commentator Bobby Heenan is behind Malenko. After months of Jericho badmouthing the seemingly gone Malenko, this moment of vindication achieved something that had often eluded WCW’s Cruiserweight Division with the live crowds: genuine emotional investment.

Sadly, the match itself ended up not being too much to write home about. As cool a moment as the unmasking was, in the context of the match some of the drama of Malenko’s intensity was dampened by him being dressed in a colourful costume. But for the narrative bears it hit, this is still worth a watch.

CHRIS JERICHO VS TRIPLE H, WWF FULLY LOADED 2000

Here’s a dose of prime Attitude Era content. Both these guys were at interesting places in their careers at this point. Triple H, after numerous not-entirely-successful attempts to get truly over as a top guy, had really found his niche and settled into the persona of The Game that has served him well to this day, and in 2000 you could have made a reasonable argument for him as the best wrestler in the business. Chris Jericho, meanwhile, had arrived in WWF hot in 1999, but from there hadn’t truly caught fire, and this night seemed a prime opportunity to cement him - along with a couple of other guys in the other main events on the card - as bona fide top tier talent. Putting these two elements together resulted in some very compelling drama.

I wasn’t grabbed at first, some of the trashy Attitude trappings and grating Lawler commentary taking me out. But once Triple H gets busted open in gruesome fashion, the match takes a turn, and you can feel the energy from the crowd as they get behind the idea that Jericho might just win this thing.

CHRIS JERICHO VS ROB VAN DAM, HARDCORE MATCH, WWF UNFORGIVEN 2001

I had memories of this match being an absolute barnstormer back when I first saw it, a match between a guy in Jericho who had consistently been one of my faves from his WCW run into the whole of his WWF tenure, and in Rob Van Dam a guy who had an aura of greatness from his ECW work and still had that freshness and intrigue in bringing his act to a WWF stage. But it didn’t hold up quite so well as I remembered. RVD was certainly athletic and talented, but at least some of that aura of greatness was clearly Heyman wizardry, and looking back he was botchy as hell here, with Jericho working overtime to cover. The early stages of this are pretty rough as a result, the pair at times feeling like an awkward match. But it builds into a strong end sequence once they just start getting crazy with the incentive chair and ladder spots, taking advantage of the hardcore stipulation.

CHRIS JERICHO VS THE ROCK, WWF NO MERCY 2001

I remembered The Rock and Chris Jericho having a positively electrifying rivalry, but this particular bout left me a bit cold at first. I think it’s the retroactive bad taste in my mouth left by two WWF stars fighting over the WCW Title in the undercard, it’s just so indicative of the mindset that derailed what should have been the hugest money storyline in wrestling history, I still get angry just thinking about how they botched this. And in hindsight, there’s just something about the Attitude Era presentation, with all the rowdy drunks in the crowd, that feels a bit trashy and hasn’t aged well. But this certainly had a big fight feel, and really built up the drama as it progressed. I enjoyed the story of Jericho as the solid hand who supposedly couldn’t win “the big one,” pulling all the stops to do so here. Nice setup for the major Undisputed Champion victory that was just a couple of months in the future.

CHRIS JERICHO VS SHAWN MICHAELS, WWF WRESTLEMANIA XIX

This is a pivotal match, in more ways than one. It was Shawn Michaels’ first WrestleMania back following his return from a 5-year injury layoff, and marked the start of the thrilling run of consecutive WrestleMania performances right up to his retirement that cemented his status as “Mr. WrestleMania.” For Chris Jericho, this would arguably be his first truly great WrestleMania match (his main event performance in the previous year is better than it gets credit for, but was overshadowed by Rock/Hogan), and ended up being probably the best match of his WWE tenure up to that point.

The match itself had a strong story behind it, with Jericho idolising Michaels in his younger days but now the young lion wanting to crush his ageing former hero, a story that would be echoed with Jericho/Owens 14 years later. And the two looked well matched, with Jericho’s blue tights a striking contrast with Michaels in his iconic red tights. The match itself saw both men rise to the occasion, gelling brilliantly. They told a story where Jericho was largely dominant, ruthlessly targeting Michaels’ reconstructed back and using his youth and superior athleticism to his advantage. Michaels, meanwhile, had to resort to veteran savvy. From bell to bell, they had the crowd enthralled, and then threw in a great post-match exclamation point with the hug/low blow as well. The best match on one of the all-time greatest WrestleMania cards. And to think this ended up just being a prelude to the REALLY great rivalry between these two that would come 5 years down the line!

Old 06-14-2018, 01:35 AM   #714
LibSuperstar
Side-Kick

I've been on a big history kick and taken a strong interest in the Capitol Wrestling Corporation (CWC) years of WWE in the last year. The period doesn't get much coverage despite being a significant chunk of WWE's history. Hell, Toots Mondt was just acknowledged last year in the Legacy Wing of the WWE HOF. Spanning from 1952 when Jess McMahon (Vince Jr.'s grandfather) and Toots Mondt founded the company in DC to 1963 when the Thesz-Rogers NWA Title dispute led Vince Sr. and Mondt to leave the NWA and form the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) it boasts quite a few notables such as Antonino Rocca, Buddy Rogers, Dr. Jerry Graham, Bobo Brazil, Johnny Valentine and Karl Von Hess. At one point tag team wrestling dominated the territory and headlined w/ teams such as The Fabulous Kangaroos, Antonino Rocca & Miguel Pérez, Tolos Brothers, Don Curtis & Mark Lewin and The Graham Brothers.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:33 AM   #715
nite-owl
Side-Kick

Old 06-14-2018, 05:44 AM   #716
nite-owl
Side-Kick

Old 06-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #717
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Enzo Amore Shooting Hard in this Podcast with The Store Horsemen about the Wrestling Business

Some highlights

Enzo got in trouble a lot in the PC. Enzo got fired by Dusty/HHH for interrupting Corbin promo in class since it was so horrendous. He raised his hand and Dusty let him speak. But Enzo just said "Corbin" and then blew the biggest fart hes ever done.

Dusty always had Enzos back until that day. Dusty then told HHH to unfire Enzo. Dusty then tells Enzo Dusty and HHH were the last cowboys of their generation and he (Enzo) is the 1st cowboy of this generation.

Enzo explains Miz is the locker room leader to him. Miz leads by example, never tells people what to do. Just a great guy. Everyone admires him.

Neville was his best friend. Gives props to him for dealing with him and listening all that time travelling.

Cena gave him tip to wrestle as little as possible because he just needs to work the crowd up and hes good.

Isn't sure why Carmella didn't get called up with Enzo and Cass but figured they wanted her to learn a few more things and had their plans. Thinks it all worked out for the best. Shes killing it now.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #718
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

This weeks NXT thoughts

Bianca Belair continues to be really impressive. She is strong, athletic, has charisma and an impressive arsenal of moves. Montez Ford and Bianca will make one hell of a heel couple team one day.

Dakota Kai rocking a Rick and Morty t-shirt. Dakota Kai needs to let the WWE higher ups know she is part Samoan and then she will get pushed to the moon.

Kyle O'Reilly and Pete Dunne had a great match for the UK Championship. The crowd was ready hot for the match. A Takeover level quality of match on the go home show.

I miss The Revival being in NXT because I think they would of had a pretty great feud with the War Raiders. War Raiders nearly killed that Jobber though with that pop-up powerslam combo. Barley caught the guy for the slam and he almost ended up on his head.

Aliyah made her once in a blue moon 'hey I still work here' appearance.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #719
nite-owl
Side-Kick

I had forgot that NXT TakeOver: Chicago was this Saturday.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #720
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-owl View Post
I had forgot that NXT TakeOver: Chicago was this Saturday.
And yet it'll probably over deliver.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #721
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
This weeks NXT thoughts

Bianca Belair continues to be really impressive. She is strong, athletic, has charisma and an impressive arsenal of moves. Montez Ford and Bianca will make one hell of a heel couple team one day.

Dakota Kai rocking a Rick and Morty t-shirt. Dakota Kai needs to let the WWE higher ups know she is part Samoan and then she will get pushed to the moon.

Kyle O'Reilly and Pete Dunne had a great match for the UK Championship. The crowd was ready hot for the match. A Takeover level quality of match on the go home show.

I miss The Revival being in NXT because I think they would of had a pretty great feud with the War Raiders. War Raiders nearly killed that Jobber though with that pop-up powerslam combo. Barley caught the guy for the slam and he almost ended up on his head.

Aliyah made her once in a blue moon 'hey I still work here' appearance.
Only if she's related to the biggest movie star in the World. That's the only way she gets pushed to the moon.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #722
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Silly Evil, all Samoans are related.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #723
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Silly Evil, all Samoans are related.
I did notice a bit of a resemblance between the biggest movie star on the planet and former NFL Player Troy Polamalu.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #724
_Superman_
Man Of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Enzo Amore Shooting Hard in this Podcast with The Store Horsemen about the Wrestling Business

Some highlights

Enzo got in trouble a lot in the PC. Enzo got fired by Dusty/HHH for interrupting Corbin promo in class since it was so horrendous. He raised his hand and Dusty let him speak. But Enzo just said "Corbin" and then blew the biggest fart hes ever done.

Dusty always had Enzos back until that day. Dusty then told HHH to unfire Enzo. Dusty then tells Enzo Dusty and HHH were the last cowboys of their generation and he (Enzo) is the 1st cowboy of this generation.

Enzo explains Miz is the locker room leader to him. Miz leads by example, never tells people what to do. Just a great guy. Everyone admires him.

Neville was his best friend. Gives props to him for dealing with him and listening all that time travelling.

Cena gave him tip to wrestle as little as possible because he just needs to work the crowd up and hes good.

Isn't sure why Carmella didn't get called up with Enzo and Cass but figured they wanted her to learn a few more things and had their plans. Thinks it all worked out for the best. Shes killing it now.
I know Enzo was cleared of all charges or had the charges dropped but if he really didn't do anything it's a shame how that woman screwed him over. Because even if your innocent that label will always stick with you.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #725
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

I am going to say that Asuka wins by DQ or count-out but Carmella retains her title.

Closed Thread