Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #926
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
Nope, I only trust them when they put out articles that have quotes from sources or press releases. That's not that this is; hence my skepticism about anything they'd say whether it would be suggesting he's staying or going.

Also, the use of the term "reboot" seemed odd considering Flashpoint doesn't seem to be happening anymore, so there doesn't seem to be any mechanism for a reboot. A recast perhaps, but not a reboot. It just read as sort stale rumor repetition rather than anything solid. I mean this time last year, people thought Affleck was going to announce his departure at SDCC, and it didn't happen.

I'm choosing to keep an open-mind, that's all, and to only give weight to more substantive pieces. If you have a different approach, that's fine.
I agree in that I don't think it confirms anything. But I disagree with the notion a vehicle is needed for a reboot. We didn't need a Flashpoint set-up after Batman & Robin. They just made Batman Begins. If it is not going to be connected to the DCEU at all, then they can easily just rip off the band aid and proceed. Heck, I don't even think a Flashpoint is needed on a recast either should it still be a DCEU movie!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #927
Jonwo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
The problem with SS is that while it made a lot of money, the reception set it up for an unknown next time out, where companies are interested in sequels because they are supposed to be a safer outing building on the reception of past films. Like how BB didn't make huge bank itself but setup TDK very well.

WW was a total success and they can build around that. I certainly believe the overall situation can be turned around and 2 consecutive well received films will change things massively.
I think SS2 could be like what happened with The Wolverine which was a better received sequel to a much maligned film, same with Annabelle Creation.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #928
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwo View Post
I think SS2 could be like what happened with The Wolverine which was a better received sequel to a much maligned film, same with Annabelle Creation.
If they make the film significantly better then there is potential for that. If they make a similar level film to the first I think we’ll see a significant decline.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #929
Jonwo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
If they make the film significantly better then there is potential for that. If they make a similar level film to the first I think we’ll see a significant decline.
They have a new director and writer so I can't imagine it'll be any worse.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #930
MbJ
Side-Kick

Per The Hollywood Reporter:

Quote:
Writer-director Matt Reeves turned in the first act of a new screenplay during the Memorial Day weekend. It's said to focus on a young caped crusader, and while the studio would not comment, it's unlikely that Ben Affleck, who has played Batman in three features, will again don the cowl.
Quote:
In the wake of Wonder Woman's surprise $821.8 million worldwide gross and Justice League's disappointing $657.9 million last year, Warners' DC plans needed a reset. According to insiders, Hamada has spent months going over the projects in development, culling certain ones, elevating others, keeping an eye on the big marquee heroes while also developing lesser-known characters that could pop big.

Last edited by MbJ; 06-13-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #931
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Looks like that's it for Affleck, then. Pretty safe to call it at this point. I'm somewhat disappointed, but it may be for the best. As others have noted, he lost a lot of his enthusiasm after BvS was so poorly received, and seemed to be losing whatever enthusiasm he had left by the release of Justice League. I just hope Reeves doesn't try to do something too outlandish in this casting (i.e. another Jesse Eisenberg fiasco).

There were talks of Gyllenhaal being offered the role; consider me ambivalent on that one, at this point anyway.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #932
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

It really is absurd that it's taken this long for Affleck/WB to come clean about his commitment to the role. We basically know he's not coming back, so why prolong this?

Quote:
"He walked into a ****show, and he's trying to clean it up," says one insider familiar with the scene.
"DC has a plan!"

Looks like they're on the path to finally getting one.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 06-13-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #933
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I do wonder if the Reeves Batman will just be an outright new universe or a prequel and still in the DCEU. After all, the DCEU at least still exists in some form with Aquaman & Wonder Woman continuing and same with Shazam (likely at least). Curious to see how this plays out.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #934
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
"DC has a plan!"

Looks like they're on the path to finally getting one.
Justice League was, no doubt, the wake-up call. Despite the poor reception the other films received (apart from Wonder Woman, and maybe MOS if you distinguish between "lukewarm" and "poor"), they didn't flop at the box office. JL did both.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #935
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I do wonder if the Reeves Batman will just be an outright new universe or a prequel and still in the DCEU. After all, the DCEU at least still exists in some form with Aquaman & Wonder Woman continuing and same with Shazam (likely at least). Curious to see how this plays out.
At this point I think they have to stick with the DCEU. They've put billions into making this universe.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #936
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
At this point I think they have to stick with the DCEU. They've put billions into making this universe.
I agree, plus it would be odd to start a new universe with a Batman movie but still have the DCEU going. I think it has to at least be loosely connected, but maybe more self contained.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #937
Boom
I got nothin'

I'd just let Reeves make the film/s he wants to make, and not get bogged down by semantics. No need to reference any other characters. No need to reference the greater DCEU as a whole. Simply tell good Batman stories.

If they do go with a younger Batman, fans can always treat the film/s as being "in continuity" with the existing DCEU (prequels set prior to MoS), should they choose to do so. And if it's true that Affleck is more receptive to sticking around, perhaps they can hold onto him for any future Justice League films.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #938
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbJ View Post
Per The Hollywood Reporter:

Quote:
Writer-director Matt Reeves turned in the first act of a new screenplay during the Memorial Day weekend. It's said to focus on a young caped crusader, and while the studio would not comment, it's unlikely that Ben Affleck, who has played Batman in three features, will again don the cowl.
Wait, how young are we talking about here? 30-35? Because if Bruce is still young then Babs and Dick must be, like, really young. Unless Reeves is planning to make a prequel... I hope not.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #939
Aurakles
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I'd just let Reeves make the film/s he wants to make, and not get bogged down by semantics. No need to reference any other characters. No need to reference the greater DCEU as a whole. Simply tell good Batman stories.

If they do go with a younger Batman, fans can always treat the film/s as being "in continuity" with the existing DCEU (prequels set prior to MoS), should they choose to do so. And if it's true that Affleck is more receptive to sticking around, perhaps they can hold onto him for any future Justice League films.
Two different Batmen and two different Jokers?

Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #940
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post

I think this might be the best plan. Let Reeves make a "prequel" series that is not contingent on the DCEU and keeping things current. It can be self-contained and still in same universe. Focus on a younger Batman. Maybe make a trilogy around that, and use Affleck as the current timeline/JL Batman.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #941
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abudefduf View Post
Wait, how young are we talking about here? 30-35? Because if Bruce is still young then Babs and Dick must be, like, really young. Unless Reeves is planning to make a prequel... I hope not.
It sounds like a prequel is what they're going for. For all we know, that's all "a young Caped Crusader" really means.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #942
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

I think that's exactly what we're going to see. It won't outright contradict anything that's already been established but it also won't reference much, if anything, outside of it's own little corner.

That said, it's not like they established a whole lot about Batfleck's beginnings that they'd need to dance around. There's a good amount of wriggle room to basically do what they want.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #943
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
I think that's exactly what we're going to see. It won't outright contradict anything that's already been established but it also won't reference much, if anything, outside of it's own little corner.
Bingo. It's not unlike Wonder Woman, really. The only real connection that film has to the wider DCEU is the framing device with the photograph. While the photograph does link the film directly to the DCEU continuity, the framing device is so innocuous that you can just as easily disregard it and treat the film as a standalone (which is what I've done).

Young or old, I expect Matt Reeves' Batman will be its own thing. It's as simple as that. He's not going to reference the DCEU. He's not going to have Superman or Wonder Woman showing up. It'll be a Batman story concerning Batman and Batman only. However, I don't expect there will be anything in the film that necessarily contradicts what we've seen in the DCEU. In which case, fans can treat it as being in continuity in their minds. There's simply not going to be a direct link to it, basically.

Of course, this is the last thing we should really be worrying about. I'd rather just have a great Batman film. Couldn't give less of a **** about DCEU continuity at this point.

Last edited by Boom; 06-13-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #944
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Yes, that's what I'm expecting too. I actually thought they would be going in the prequel direction with Affleck's Batman (with the references to Jason Todd's death, the Penguin, flashbacks of him fighting villains in Suicide Squad, etc.) until I found out they weren't. Also, it might might be tricky to have Batman taking on villains like the Joker when Superman and Wonder Woman are around. They could take the guy out in a heartbeat.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #945
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthenerds View Post
It sounds like a prequel is what they're going for. For all we know, that's all "a young Caped Crusader" really means.
Maybe. Or maybe they're just making sure that people know the old Batman is gone.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #946
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

They could also just X-men the whole franchise and play fast and loose with the continuity. It's connected when they want and it's own thing when they want.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #947
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
They could also just X-men the whole franchise and play fast and loose with the continuity. It's connected when they want and it's own thing when they want.
That's what I would prefer. Don't bend over backwards trying to connect everything, just let things unfold.

Aziz
Old 06-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #948
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

I love the vibe of the new WW84 pictures

Aziz
Old 06-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #949
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
True. This sounds to be along the lines of what Boom was saying. In that case, it could be left open to interpretation whether Reeves' Batman is a prequel, a part of the current DCEU, or the DCEU at all for that matter.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #950
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

From the main site.... WW84 news.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/41...eturn#/slide/1

Closed Thread