The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Shazam > Shazam

Old 02-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #526
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

Default Re: Shazam General Discussion and Speculation

David F. Sandberg(Lights Out) In Talks To Direct ’Shazam

Quote:
David F. Sandberg is in talks to direct “Shazam,” for New Line, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Sandberg has “Annabelle 2” the sequel to 2014 supernatural horror film, “Annabelle,” set to be released by New Line on August 11th, 2017.

The Swedish filmmaker broke out with his 2016 debut “Lights Out,” which is based on his 2013 acclaimed horror short of the same name. A sequel to the film is also in the works at New Line.

Shazam, aka Captain Marvel, has an alter ego Billy Batson, who can transform into superhero form by saying the words “Shazam,” and then develops the powers of six mythological gods.

In the last decade, Shazam has regularly appeared in “Justice League of America” comics as well as Frank Miller’s “Batman” comics.

Dwayne Johnson is attached to star as anti-hero Black Adam in “Shazam” and also “Black Adam,” a standalone film also for New Line. The Black Adam movie will be developed concurrently with New Line’s “Shazam..” Both films are part of the DC Cinematic Universe.

Johnson previously teased a meeting with DC Films co-head Geoff Johns, promising “hope, optimism & FUN.”

New Line’s upcoming slate includes “Fist Fight,” “Going in Style,” “Annabelle 2” and “It.” The company collaborated with Johnson on “Central Intelligence” last year, and also released “The Conjuring 2,” “Lights Out,” “Me Before You” and “Collateral Beauty.”

LoganGambit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #527
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Well, Lights Out looks like it was well-received for his first outing as a director, so that's a plus at least. There's not much to go off besides that, especially given how I don't know what Shazam's tone would be compared to Lights Out, but it's an interesting choice, I'll say that.

I'm just going to convince myself that WB has a director for The Flash but is just saying nothing. That cool?

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #528
Barry Parker
Scorpion 4 Spidey sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Well, Lights Out looks like it was well-received for his first outing as a director, so that's a plus at least. There's not much to go off besides that, especially given how I don't know what Shazam's tone would be compared to Lights Out, but it's an interesting choice, I'll say that.

I'm just going to convince myself that WB has a director for The Flash but is just saying nothing. That cool?
Right? It's kind of getting annoying at this point, but maybe it means they're taking their time and trying to find the right director.

Barry Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #529
Barry Parker
Scorpion 4 Spidey sequel

Hollywood Reporter confirms it

Quote:
andberg, the filmmaker behind the upcoming Annabelle 2, is in talks to direct the New Line Cinema adaptation of the DC Comics character, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Sandberg released his debut feature Lights Out last year, with the horror film earning more than $148 million on a $4.9 million budget.

One of the oldest comic characters around, Shazam was originally known as Captain Marvel. The stories starred teen Billy Batson, who becomes the superhero when he utters the magic word "Shazam!" The name is an acronym for six gods and heroes of the ancient world as well as their attributes: the wisdom of Solomon, the strength of Hercules, the stamina of Aries, the power of Zeus, the courage of Achilles and the speed of Mercury.
Last month, news broke that Dwayne Johnson, who has long been attached to play Shazam! villain Black Adam, would star in his own spinoff movie as the character. Johnson's big screen take on Black Adam will see him cast as an antihero, mirroring developments in recent DC Comics by Geoff Johns.

The Black Adam movie is concurrently being developed with Shazam, which has a script by Henry Gayden, according to a source.

More to come...
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...irector-977270

Last edited by Barry Parker; 02-17-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Barry Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #530
Sawyer
High King

Was kind of thinking Shawn Levy, but I guess I'll see where they're going with this. Never saw Lights Out, so I can't very well oppose this.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #531
Jonwo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Was kind of thinking Shawn Levy, but I guess I'll see where they're going with this. Never saw Lights Out, so I can't very well oppose this.
Shawn Levy isn't available as he's doing Uncharted for Sony.

Using a horror director for a tentpole isn't new and James Wan, who admitfully already has blockbuster experience with Fast 7, Scott Derrickson did Doctor Strange and Sam Raimi directed the original Spider-Man trilogy.

Last edited by Jonwo; 02-17-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Jonwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #532
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Light's Out was a very good movie for a debut. It was also written by the writer of ARRIVAL too (Eric Heisserer).

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:44 AM   #533
batdude
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, not enough information yet. Never heard of Derrickson before Dr. Strange and that movie is pretty awesome.

batdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #534
terry78
I'm from Gary, bish

I think horror directors work for superhero flicks due to them not really being confined to making everything safe, for lack of a better term. They can add elements where the stakes can get pretty scary.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #535
batdude
Side-Kick

Yeah, It might not be necessary for Shazam! but you would want a good horror director for Justice League Dark characters for example.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:33 PM   #536
Milk Tray Guy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Not sure how to link from Instagram, but The Rock attended a meeting about mapping out DC's entire film universe.
Love it when actors get so involved in the bigger picture, rather than jusy turning up and saying their lines on cue.

Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #537
TheRedWraith
DCEU Fan

It could because if they aren't using Adam for the first then the next logical step would be Sivana and Mr. Mind and for Mr. Mind I would want him to start small but by the end become a giant reality warping eldritch abomination caterpillar/worm/scorpion/spider/bat hybrid.

like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
There are many times where I bite my tongue on these forums. Most of the time, engaging in a back and forth simply isn't worth the effort.

Last edited by TheRedWraith; 02-22-2017 at 09:11 PM.
TheRedWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:13 AM   #538
Mad Love
The Future of Justice

A Black Adam movie coming first sounds great. It's a fresh idea to have the starting point be the villain and it works perfectly for Shazam's story. Black Adam was the Wizard's student before Shazam.

Black Adam > Shazam > Shazam family... would be an awesome trilogy

Old 02-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #539
TheRedWraith
DCEU Fan

But Black Adam doesn't even have a speculative director at this point, so it seems clear to me that Black Adam is not going to be coming out first, I don't even think he'll be in the first Shazam Movie. If he is then the Black Adam movie probably won't be detailing his origins, it would be detailing his exploits in the modern world after he's been defeated by Billy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
There are many times where I bite my tongue on these forums. Most of the time, engaging in a back and forth simply isn't worth the effort.

Last edited by TheRedWraith; 03-02-2017 at 11:23 PM.
TheRedWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #540
Milk Tray Guy
Side-Kick

Quote:
You don't have the year that they've had-- largely bad reviews, a movie that should've easily made $1B falling about 200 short, another hacked to f***ing pieces as if by a machete-- without putting thought into how to right the ship. And after the success of Rebirth, I believe that Geoff Johns is the person to do that, not Snyder or "Based" Tsujihara.
I share your belief

Old 03-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #541
Milk Tray Guy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Interesting approach doing a villain movie first. Means the hero's movie doesnt need to develop the villain once it comes around.

I actually wouldn't mind more villains getting solo movies before coming to blows with the hero.
Part of the thinking behind Suicide Squad apparently.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:35 AM   #542
batdude
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Tray Guy View Post
I share your belief
o

Yup, if either Shazam! or Black Adam is going to be made, we need GEOFF JOHNS for sure. He's the one that made anybody take Black Adam seriously.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #543
ManWithNoName18
Side-Kick

David F Sandberg will be at Wonder Con

Going to WonderCon on April 1st to do a panel during the Warner/New Line/DC event.

ManWithNoName18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:36 AM   #544
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithNoName18 View Post
David F Sandberg will be at Wonder Con

Going to WonderCon on April 1st to do a panel during the Warner/New Line/DC event.
Pleasssse....

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #545
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

This movie needs to not be hardcore dark.

Intense action is fine but I'd rather there not be widespread carnage-- especially if the expectation is that Black Adam becomes some kind of anti-hero in future appearances.

There's already a risk in making Johnson the villain here. He has to lose in the end, ultimately; they can't make him completely irredeemable. So, we'll see what happens.

Still no casting about Capt. Marvel, nor Billy. That's also disappointing. If Cap's actor isn't as charismatic as Johnson, that's going to be problematic.

Also, the "Marvel Kids" can be saved for a future film.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #546
Ultimate Thor
Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
This movie needs to not be hardcore dark.

Intense action is fine but I'd rather there not be widespread carnage-- especially if the expectation is that Black Adam becomes some kind of anti-hero in future appearances.

There's already a risk in making Johnson the villain here. He has to lose in the end, ultimately; they can't make him completely irredeemable. So, we'll see what happens.

Still no casting about Capt. Marvel, nor Billy. That's also disappointing. If Cap's actor isn't as charismatic as Johnson, that's going to be problematic.

Also, the "Marvel Kids" can be saved for a future film.
Yeah. It has to be the opposite dark, bleak, etc.

Ultimate Thor is offline   Reply With Quote