The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Doctor Strange > Doctor Strange World

Old 11-16-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Default 1978 TV movie

Some of you know that there has already been a live action movie for Dr. Strange DR. STRANGE http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077469/...nm_flmg_act_12

I saw it first run back then....I never was able to see it again until more than a decade later when it was released on VHS tape (I still have it)....it was shown a time or two on the Sci Fi channel. But basically it is a very rare movie to find (yes, it can be found on youtube...but I like hardcopies of comic book movies)...and only have a self made DVD of it.

There were certainly liberties taken with the story (no big surprise there) but it was a relatively well acted and written movie. Steven Strange was played by Peter Hooten (his best known role could arguably be the original INGLORIOUS BASTARDS made the same year)

....the ancient one (here called Thomas Lindmer) was played by OSCAR winner Sir John Mills

.....Wong was played by Clyde Kusatsu (an extremely busy character actor who has over 250 film credits)....

Clea was played by Anne-Marie Martin (best known for her role as Dori Doreau on SLEDGE HAMMER and she is the ex wife of Michael Crichton)

......and Jessica Walter (ARCHER, ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, PLAY MISTY FOR ME) as sorcerous Morgan LeFay.

In this, Dr. Strange is a psychiatrist working in a New York hospital...the Ancient One searches him out because he descended from a long line of sorcerers and is destined to take over from him the job of protector of Earth. Morgana puts a spell on Clea to get to the Ancient One, that mystical/psychic assault leads Clea to the psychiatric ward that Strange is in charge of, which leads him to the Ancient One. There are several journeys to the "astral plain" (these hare handled pretty good for a low budget 1978 TV movie) but Strange in his costume is only seen for a few minutes at the end of the movie.

I feel it is a decent little movie definately worth taking a look at.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

Default Re: 1978 TV movie

I've been meaning to seek this out and watch it for a while. There's something about these old adaptations that appeals to me, even though they're mostly pure cheese and bad effects.

BatsDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Morg
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

I remember watching it when it first aired

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
batdude
Side-Kick

Yeah this was good for it's time. Totally forgot the girl from Sledge Hammer was in it though.

batdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Wasn't Michael Ansara (Mr Freeze from Batman TAS) the voice of Dormammu in this?

Old 11-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Flint Marko
"Underoos!"

Just recently watched it and it wasn't half-bad. I'd argue that it's one of, if not the, best pre-X-men Marvel movies. The score especially was pretty effective.

#STOPAVI2017
#ENDSONY2017
Flint Marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Never watched it. But I'm interested.

By the way, there's also a movie called "Doctor Mordrid" that was originally going to be a Doctor Strange movie (according to wikipedia and some other sites):

Quote:
It was produced by Charles Band and co-directed by Band and his father, Albert Band. It was written by C. Courtney Joyner and released by Full Moon Features.

The younger Band held an option for an adaptation of the Marvel Comics character Doctor Strange, but the option expired before production could begin. Instead of scrapping the project, the script was rewritten to include original characters not directly adapted from the comics property.The main character originally was to be called "Doctor Mortalis". Some early concept art was done by Jack Kirby.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshdarn Batman View Post
Never watched it. But I'm interested.

By the way, there's also a movie called "Doctor Mordrid" that was originally going to be a Doctor Strange movie (according to wikipedia and some other sites):

That's actually a pretty fun movie. Jefferey Combs from reanimator was the doctor and Brian Thompson was his arch rival.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
cryptic name
No Limits

I actually like the Hooten Strange flick quite a bit. It's got a fun vibe and is a pretty fair adaptation of the material. I've never seen Doctor Mordrid but now I'm going to seek it out.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:27 AM   #10
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Never saw it, but always wanted to check it out.

My DCEU Movie Grades:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
MoS=C-, BvS:DoJ=C-, SS=C, WW=?, JLP1=?, TF=?, AM=?, S=?, JL2=?, C=?, GLC=?, B=?
Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

DR. Modred is available from Amazon I've been wanting to see Dr strange again but its unavalible from my cable provider

Last edited by 3dman27; 10-25-2016 at 01:55 PM.
3dman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #12
cronosred
Side-Kick

Nov. 1st release date for the dvd.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Strange-Pe...ds=dr.+strange

cronosred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:21 AM   #13
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

thanks for the info
I've ordered my copy

Last edited by 3dman27; 10-26-2016 at 01:26 PM.
3dman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #14
KetchBlaze
Side-Kick

I vaguely remember this, but it kind of fell the way of the Captain America and Spiderman movies of that time.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:33 PM   #15
Milk Tray Guy
Side-Kick

I remember watching this first time around on TV way back, but I'd completely forgotten Sir John Mills was in it!

Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote