Old 03-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #376
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Default Re: The General Comic Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
DC hardcovers/trades for Fall 2017:
http://collectededitions.blogspot.ca...d-edition.html

They're collecting Jim Balent's Catwoman run from the 90s. There's also Kirby's Fourth World omni and a collection of John Byrne's DC stuff.
They're finally putting together collections for the Kyle Rayner run. I have most of the trades they do have from that era, but I think they skipped a lot.

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
MMMMM...Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #377
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMist View Post
Havent read the newest issue yet so I cant comment on much, but Selina got shot in issue 17 by one of Bane's henchmen.
That must've been the issue that devoted 11 panels to Gordon brushing his teeth. /sarcasm

Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #378
geetard
Rebirth

DC's Dark Days announced:
http://www.newsarama.com/33639-synde...dark-days.html

It's a prelude to Snyder/Capullo's main event later this year.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #379
The Shape
In the shadows

I'm intrigued.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #380
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
DC's Dark Days announced:
http://www.newsarama.com/33639-synde...dark-days.html

It's a prelude to Snyder/Capullo's main event later this year.
God, I despise Snyder as a writer. Everything I've ever read from him has been eye rolling awful. The only mediocre thing he's done was Black Mirror. I read the first few years of his Batman New 52 run and it was consistently garbage. I will never understand its popularity. I gave some of his non-Batman books a shot, and they just do nothing for me. He's as talented as a high school fanfic writer whose teeth are stained from drinking too much Mountain Dew.

Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #381
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
God, I despise Snyder as a writer. Everything I've ever read from him has been eye rolling awful. The only mediocre thing he's done was Black Mirror. I read the first few years of his Batman New 52 run and it was consistently garbage. I will never understand its popularity. I gave some of his non-Batman books a shot, and they just do nothing for me. He's as talented as a high school fanfic writer whose teeth are stained from drinking too much Mountain Dew.
I actually can see your point. I liked Court of Owls but didn't love much of Snyder's other arcs. (Must say I loved Dark Mirror but I love Dick's Batman run.) I didn't particularly love Death of the Family, Endgame, Zero Year or the Gordon mech-bat fiasco. My knock on Snyder is that it felt like he tried to turn every arc into some epic graphic novel in waiting. Like a lot of writers, he doesn't grasp the art of subtlety.

The best part of the Snyder run was Capullo's art imho.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #382
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

I enjoy some of Snyder's stuff but he does seem like the type that loves the smell of his own **** and feels the need to tell everyone how awesome it is.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #383
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Pancakes View Post
I enjoy some of Snyder's stuff but he does seem like the type that loves the smell of his own **** and feels the need to tell everyone how awesome it is.
That's one way to put it. Lol.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #384
_Superman_
Man Of Steel

I was just wondering who else thinks Earth-23 Superman should get his own ongoing solo comic. I would love to see Earth-23 or Earth-2 Superman get there own solo books. I just find them very interesting and would love to see them on their own.

_Superman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #385
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Superman_ View Post
I was just wondering who else thinks Earth-23 Superman should get his own ongoing solo comic. I would love to see Earth-23 or Earth-2 Superman get there own solo books. I just find them very interesting and would love to see them on their own.
Both are far from the top of my list of characters I want in an ongoing comic, but good luck.

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 03-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #386
BlueLanternKal
Super-Lex

I really like Rose Wilson. Too much for what is considered normal. Just felt like sharing.

*goes looking for silver haired Cambodian chick to holla at*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLanternKal
I want you to remember...In all the years to come... in your most private moments... I want you to remember despite all your hyperbole... Zack Snyder is still your favorite director's favorite director.
BlueLanternKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #387
X Knight
Touch the Sky!

Just read Action Comics. Now that New 52 Superman and Rebirth Superman realities have merged into one

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
How will it affect the rest of the Superman universe, like Supergirl? Does that mean Supergirl will get all of her pre 52 memories and life back?

Mr. Oz said that the merging of realities will affect those "connected" to Superman and Lois. So, I'm guessing that Kara, Lex, Lana, Daily Planet crew, etc. will have their pre 52 memories and history restored?

Old 03-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #388
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by x knight View Post
just read action comics. Now that new 52 superman and rebirth superman realities have merged into one

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
how will it affect the rest of the superman universe, like supergirl? Does that mean supergirl will get all of her pre 52 memories and life back?

Mr. Oz said that the merging of realities will affect those "connected" to superman and lois. So, i'm guessing that kara, lex, lana, daily planet crew, etc. Will have their pre 52 memories and history restored?

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 03-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #389
geetard
Rebirth

Got my copy of Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run the other day. Truly a deluxe edition beauty.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #390
sweetre15
Positive Page

So I finally finished this story after several interruptions stopped me from reading it all last week.

There's quite a bit of absorb in this due to:

- The whereabouts of Two Face being unknown to Batman and Gordon

- The "Hangman's" identity being unknown?

- Catwoman's motives being mysterious

- Two face having Janice Porter planted in the Gotham City Police department while she was District Attorney to do his bidding

- The introduction of Dick Grayson and him becoming Robin

All going on...Now due to being constantly interrupted I didn't get the rapid page turning experience of The Long Halloween but it worked in helping me absorb the story even more despite the setbacks.

I especially enjoyed how this time around , the murder mystery element was handled in a way where even with help from Dick Grayson, Batman was the one to get to the bottom of it all including the messages of the Hangman and finding out it was Sofia Gigante behind it, along with Janice Porter being a sleeper agent for Two Face, the death of Dick's parents being a set up and the operation Two face had going with Ivy, Joker, Grundy, Two-face, Scarecrow, and Mad Hatter.

Even though there are some unanswered questions left lingering about why Selina ran of to Rome and what she was doing there, I find the implication of her being Carmine's daughter in this universe rather interesting and I might just pick up Catwoman: When in Rome to read about it.

Story: 9/10

Art: 8.5/10

Overall: 8.75/10

What did you guys think of this story?

Last edited by sweetre15; 03-25-2017 at 07:47 PM.
sweetre15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #391
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

I liked Dark Victory even more than Long Halloween. One of my favorite Bat-stories of all-time.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:45 AM   #392
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I was reading a little bit of Superman/Batman this weekend and one of the issues had a few funny stuff in it. Superboy and Robin are sent to Tokyo to recruit the new Toyman and Superboy says to Robin "Before we leave, can we at least visit the Nintendo factory?", that gave me a good chuckle
Then later in the same issue they both get to drive in a mecha that Toyman built, and one of them looks a lot like the robots from Robotech, even the pilot helmets look the same, that was pretty cool.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #393
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
I was reading a little bit of Superman/Batman this weekend and one of the issues had a few funny stuff in it. Superboy and Robin are sent to Tokyo to recruit the new Toyman and Superboy says to Robin "Before we leave, can we at least visit the Nintendo factory?", that gave me a good chuckle
Then later in the same issue they both get to drive in a mecha that Toyman built, and one of them looks a lot like the robots from Robotech, even the pilot helmets look the same, that was pretty cool.
I just read that issue a few months back. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 03-27-2017, 02:40 AM   #394
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
I just read that issue a few months back. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the anime-style art though, but I guess that could have been on purpose since most of the issue took place in japan.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #395
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the anime-style art though, but I guess that could have been on purpose since most of the issue took place in japan.
Have you read the Supergirl arc yet? Very anime-like art, but I like it.

***Wrestling Thread***

Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #396
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Have you read the Supergirl arc yet? Very anime-like art, but I like it.
Yeah, the first 2 issues, but I don't see much similarity in the art there.

Edit: Finished it earlier today, and I gotta say that Source Wall were he pins Darkseid at, that thing is like something from the Hellraiser movies

Last edited by gohei_; 03-28-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #397
Slade W
The Pale Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetre15 View Post

So I finally finished this story after several interruptions stopped me from reading it all last week.

There's quite a bit of absorb in this due to:

- The whereabouts of Two Face being unknown to Batman and Gordon

- The "Hangman's" identity being unknown?

- Catwoman's motives being mysterious

- Two face having Janice Porter planted in the Gotham City Police department while she was District Attorney to do his bidding

- The introduction of Dick Grayson and him becoming Robin

All going on...Now due to being constantly interrupted I didn't get the rapid page turning experience of The Long Halloween but it worked in helping me absorb the story even more despite the setbacks.

I especially enjoyed how this time around , the murder mystery element was handled in a way where even with help from Dick Grayson, Batman was the one to get to the bottom of it all including the messages of the Hangman and finding out it was Sofia Gigante behind it, along with Janice Porter being a sleeper agent for Two Face, the death of Dick's parents being a set up and the operation Two face had going with Ivy, Joker, Grundy, Two-face, Scarecrow, and Mad Hatter.

Even though there are some unanswered questions left lingering about why Selina ran of to Rome and what she was doing there, I find the implication of her being Carmine's daughter in this universe rather interesting and I might just pick up Catwoman: When in Rome to read about it.

Story: 9/10

Art: 8.5/10

Overall: 8.75/10

What did you guys think of this story?
I am glad you enjoyed this and TLH. They are two of Batman's greatest stories IMO. I would love for a movie to be made based on similar mysteries to what we got in these two stories. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises took from both of these stories, but that was Batman, Gordon and Dent working together, the rise of the freaks in Gotham and them taking over and becoming more dangerous than the mob, the fall of Dent and them having to deal with the fallout from that, amongst other things. They did not focus so much on the mystery, and that is something I would love to see a film based on.

Last edited by Slade W; 03-28-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Slade W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #398
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

y'all's need to read Space Riders, 'cuz god damn.

Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:02 PM   #399
sweetre15
Positive Page

I'm hearing good things about X-Men: Gold #1, Has anyone here read it?

sweetre15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #400
Slade W
The Pale Man

I reread A Death in the Family recently. It was ok and enjoyable enough, but it is a story that is big and well known because of the big event that happens in it (i.e. Robin being killed, and by Batmans biggest villain The Joker) rather than the actual quality of the story IMO (similar to Death of Superman). If I had to rate it out of 10, I would give it 6.5/10.