The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #376
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Default Re: Marvel NOW: Spider-Man Renew Your Vows

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlyle View Post
Honestly, I'm saddened, but not surprised that the sales are low. It's niche book from a pocket universe.
Much like Spider-Girl, Marvel throws it out there, doesn't promote it at ALL, lets it die on the vine while producing SOLID stories (while promoting the hell out a book that is DIRECTLY opposite of it like ASM), and then proclaim that "No one really wants it".
We've got "Dead No More", which led to "The Clone Conspiracy". Tie-ins galore. Who wants to spend money on this title featuring a now 7 or 8 year-old gone status-quo which Marvel doesn't seem to want to promote?

I don't blame readers...and to an extent, I can't blame Marvel. People keep buying their event books, so they keep making them.

Me, I only read "Spidey" for it's 12 issue run, then it ended, and now I'll read Renew Your Vows until it ends. I gave Dan's ASM title a good 4 or 5 issues after the most recent relaunch. Just not for me. We've gotten away from what I think Spider-Man should be, so I don't read it.

To each his own. Personally, I think NOT having Stegman on a regular Spidey title is a crime. His art is AMAZING! Conway has shown from his writing that he gets Peter. It honestly reminds me of how good Dan was back around "Big Time".
It just feels like Spidey, so I'll keep reading it. I'll buy issues, I'll buy trades, whatever I can.

Here's hoping for a long run. No regrets.
Excellent post.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:30 AM   #377
Ben_Reilly
Side-Kick

Seems Marvel is promoting it by having MJ on all the alt covers in June? I think...

Ben_Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #378
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Issue 5 is out today!

Old 03-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #379
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Stegman's cover for issue #8

Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 PM   #380
Shockdingo
Symbiote luvin' loon

As usual, Shinstyle rocks it. Dang that's a gorgeous cover and cool new symbiote look.

Issue 5. OH man,

Annie May's adorable

Seeing Pete and MJ just lounging around the house after a long day was a great, relaxing, human moment.

Normie is getting creepier, but oh so interesting

The BANTER. OH, the banter was great! It was nice seeing a back to basics, fun look at some of the thugs. I love how bad Flint was with his metaphors. Also loved that redesigned Shocker cameo, that's a nice look!

Also, one thing I love is how Pete and Mj's humour works in synergy. It's nice having him bounce quips between them again.

This was a nice stand a lone issue. It felt just like the old times where there was a simple tale of family night+ plus heroics + developments of something more.

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #381
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Hey guys! Long time no see!

Anyways, yes, I too have been following Renew Your Vows and I think it's great. Did a review for the latest issue here, and you probably track down the others I did for the first four, too: Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (2016) #5

Brief thoughts about it. Stockman, while decent in some panels, isn't quite at the same level as Stegman in terms of the art. But I did think Conway script made for a pretty solid and cute done-in-one story. All in all, I really enjoyed it.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

stillanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #382
Shockdingo
Symbiote luvin' loon

stillanerd! Good to see you round these parts! I remember digging your reflections in the past!

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #383
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
Hey guys! Long time no see!

Anyways, yes, I too have been following Renew Your Vows and I think it's great. Did a review for the latest issue here, and you probably track down the others I did for the first four, too: Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (2016) #5

Brief thoughts about it. Stockman, while decent in some panels, isn't quite at the same level as Stegman in terms of the art. But I did think Conway script made for a pretty solid and cute done-in-one story. All in all, I really enjoyed it.
Hey, it's great seeing you on here. Imo your reviews have been spot on and I agree about Stockman. A very good artist indeed but I think Stegman does a much better job with characters and especially with the dynamic essence, if you can call it that. And Conway's writing is so natural. He's done great at making Annie so likeable and capturing the human element between Pete and MJ.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #384
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
stillanerd! Good to see you round these parts! I remember digging your reflections in the past!
Thanks, my good sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Hey, it's great seeing you on here. Imo your reviews have been spot on and I agree about Stockman. A very good artist indeed but I think Stegman does a much better job with characters and especially with the dynamic essence, if you can call it that. And Conway's writing is so natural. He's done great at making Annie so likeable and capturing the human element between Pete and MJ.
Thanks! And yeah, I agree 100% about Stegman, and about the way Conway writes Annie. Kid characters are extremely hard to write and portray in a believable way, and I think Conway does an excellent job in giving Annie an authentic voice that makes her talk and act like real ten year old. Especially with issue #3. One of the few quibbles I had with the original Renew Your Vows miniseries is that Annie, at times, didn't sound like a real kid, so glad to see Conway fix that.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

stillanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #385
Ben_Reilly
Side-Kick

Hey Nerd! Glad to see your still around.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #386
Vampfox
Side-Kick

Sony's better off trying to get Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst back for a "Renew Your Vows" movie then trying to make a film universe based off of Spider-Man spinoff characters that won't even have Spider-Man in them.

Vampfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #387
Ben_Reilly
Side-Kick

Tobey and Kirsten are and always were terrible as Pete and MJ!

Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #388
shinlyle
King of the Haters

Thanks for the love, guys!

My issue 5 will be in the mail when I get home. (No LCS, so I order once a month from Midtown, where I get my blank covers and this book for me, and Spider-Gwen for my little Gwen!)

That issue 8 cover is sick!! I was wondering if they were going to address the symbiote potentially surviving the battle in the first issue of the mini....also Annie's comment when Peter was wearing the black suit "That's the thing from my nightmares!"
LOTS of cool story potential there! The symbiote sharing Peter's secret memories with MJ...especially about Gwen or any secrets he may have kept from her could SERIOUSLY push her over the edge.

Still more interesting than ASM proper.

Check out my art!
http://shinlyle.deviantart.com/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #389
shinlyle
King of the Haters

STILLANERD! Missed that guy...
Read issue 5. Art wasn't as good as Stegman, but it was GOOD. Felt like the same book, and it wasn't too jarringly different. Loved the little self-contained story that put some pieces into place for the next arc and beyond.

Here's hoping we get many many more issues of this title! Conway knows Peter and MJ better than any writer in the past few years.

Check out my art!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #390
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Old 04-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #391
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Old 04-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #392
PeterBenParker
Wallopin' Websnappers!

Once that first volume drops, it'll be an immediate buy. I'm all caught up on it atm but this is a story that is worth having in a collection, despite my own nitpicky issues with this.

Hopefully the Zdarsky SSM can just as good as this has been.

#SpiderManPS4Hype
PeterBenParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #393
shinlyle
King of the Haters

For those that don't follow, or live in a cave, this has been making the rounds. We are looking at a MAJOR implosion at Marvel. This article mentions "Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows" as one of the few titles that works, so I'm posting it here.

Kind of flattering. I thought the sales were low, but Marvel apparently is using this as an example of "what readers want".

Still, their general attitude seems VERY disheartening. Looks like the title won't be going anywhere any time soon, though.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03...le-characters/

Check out my art!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #394
PeterBenParker
Wallopin' Websnappers!

Hope they continue.

#SpiderManPS4Hype
PeterBenParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #395
dkamphaus43
Side-Kick

Quote:
For those that don't follow, or live in a cave, this has been making the rounds. We are looking at a MAJOR implosion at Marvel.
I wonder what the chances are that Quesada and Brevoort will both finally be receiving their long-overdue "GTFO-Your services are no longer required" severance packages?

dkamphaus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #396
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
For those that don't follow, or live in a cave, this has been making the rounds. We are looking at a MAJOR implosion at Marvel. This article mentions "Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows" as one of the few titles that works, so I'm posting it here.

Kind of flattering. I thought the sales were low, but Marvel apparently is using this as an example of "what readers want".

Still, their general attitude seems VERY disheartening. Looks like the title won't be going anywhere any time soon, though.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03...le-characters/
I kind of figured that RYV wouldn't really last all that long as most 'other world' tales often do, however I'm with this book til the end and I'd like to see it run at least a year.

That said, I'm glad that Marvel is finally recognizing that there's clearly an issue with their comics. Sales have been on the downslope through the past year and DC has been outright destroying them with their Rebirth line. But that is no surprise really. Unlike DC who seem to utilize some good storytelling and other quality methods, Marvel likes to use gimmicks. Things like events, many of which most fans never wanted nor ask for, that are used to boost the sales of a main title. See Clone Conspiracy for an example. But even with that boost, ASM could barely get past 70k copies and the CC was dropping like a brick after each issue. Of course they attempted to market the hell outta the book and you got Slott berating people online trying to make the situation look not as horrid as it actually is, but the thing that Marvel needs to account for is with events like these and many others, they tout them as being major events in which "the lives of the characters will NEVER be the same again" or things like "darker than Kraven's Last Hunt" but in the end it's a lie. Cause none of those things end up happening.

So, I'm glad that Marvel is finally able to recognize that what they were doing was not the way to go about trying to get sales. Back to basics and good storytelling is what they need, not crap event after event and tons of variant covers with reboots back to issue #1 every quarter. And as for RYV, I think it's telling that for a book with absolutely no marketing push whatsoever it managed to do so well. It probably has outsold what Marvel even thought it would.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #397
shinlyle
King of the Haters

Quote:
I kind of figured that RYV wouldn't really last all that long as most 'other world' tales often do, however I'm with this book til the end and I'd like to see it run at least a year.

That said, I'm glad that Marvel is finally recognizing that there's clearly an issue with their comics. Sales have been on the downslope through the past year and DC has been outright destroying them with their Rebirth line. But that is no surprise really. Unlike DC who seem to utilize some good storytelling and other quality methods, Marvel likes to use gimmicks. Things like events, many of which most fans never wanted nor ask for, that are used to boost the sales of a main title. See Clone Conspiracy for an example. But even with that boost, ASM could barely get past 70k copies and the CC was dropping like a brick after each issue. Of course they attempted to market the hell outta the book and you got Slott berating people online trying to make the situation look not as horrid as it actually is, but the thing that Marvel needs to account for is with events like these and many others, they tout them as being major events in which "the lives of the characters will NEVER be the same again" or things like "darker than Kraven's Last Hunt" but in the end it's a lie. Cause none of those things end up happening.

So, I'm glad that Marvel is finally able to recognize that what they were doing was not the way to go about trying to get sales. Back to basics and good storytelling is what they need, not crap event after event and tons of variant covers with reboots back to issue #1 every quarter. And as for RYV, I think it's telling that for a book with absolutely no marketing push whatsoever it managed to do so well. It probably has outsold what Marvel even thought it would.
You preacher, my choir.
The events are what ran me off. With Marvel, I haven't enjoyed one since Avengers Vs. X-Men. Even then, I couldn't buy that event now, because it was 12 issues, with a 12 issue tie-in book! That's almost $100 to buy all those issues at $4 a pop!! That's assuming those are the only tie-ins! You can't bleed the consumer dry, then expect them to support all your "diverse" titles.

I've seen far too much shade at Marvel over the past few years. We see them condescend, pander, and belittle people about what they read, what they don't read, and what they expect out of the comics. When they give us change that we hate, they tell us we need to get with it.
Why change the characters? They've worked as is for 50 years, in some cases! Changing the world in which they live, changing the cast, changing their suits and teams....those can be dealt with. BUT, when Peter Parker is rich, globe-trotting around the planet fighting clones, can they seriously NOT SEE what is wrong with this picture?!

I don't mind variant covers, it they matter, I don't mind. I don't think EVERY issue needs one, though! Even Renew Your Vows has had a variant almost every issue! First issues, major events, and Anniversary issues, I'm cool with. Blank variants, every 10 or 20 issues. I don't need to see another Hip Hop Variant for another 20 years, though. Or a Howard the Duck one. Or a Deadpool one (and I like DP).

I hope they are getting ready to kick the door in and pop them on the wrist and say, "NO! No more! You go to your room!"

Check out my art!
Old 04-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #398
Ben_Reilly
Side-Kick

I'm at the point where I just don't seem to care about the new stuff.
Yeah, I still follow it, but it isn't like it was in the 90s or the very early 00s.
Theres no real feeling, no sense of progression, no OMG, I need to know what happens next.
It all just feels emotionless.
I also think part of that is coming from the fact that they keep ruining the characters we've been waiting to see again or see more frequently.
Case in point, Ben Reilly, Kaine and Felicia.
All three are so far from what they were that they are "In Name Only"

I do hope that this rumoured Implosion doesn't wipe out Ben, Kaine and Gwen...

Speaking of Gwen, this is the SECOND time that she's been brushed off so terribly with a dangling thread...
The first time was House of M where Peter was seriously depressed and angry and nothing came of it even though they said that it would be dealt with.

And now, the lage page of interaction between her and Pete in Clone Conspiracy. Again, the thread is left hanging and will never be picked up again.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #399
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
You preacher, my choir.
The events are what ran me off. With Marvel, I haven't enjoyed one since Avengers Vs. X-Men. Even then, I couldn't buy that event now, because it was 12 issues, with a 12 issue tie-in book! That's almost $100 to buy all those issues at $4 a pop!! That's assuming those are the only tie-ins! You can't bleed the consumer dry, then expect them to support all your "diverse" titles.
Yes, exactly. When you have so many events that they all just seem to tie together and then said events are essentially meaningless, how is it that consumers are expected to spend their hard earned cash. Like Ben said in the post above, it's become emotionless. Partly due to the lack of quality in the writing but also due to the lying. They, Marvel, keep marketing these events as "everything is about to change like never before" but it's not at all true. Why should I keep spending money or anyone for that matter on these constant storylines that don't evolve. And when they do it's often for the worse as in they (Slott) keep ruining characters to support their own pet creations.

Quote:
I've seen far too much shade at Marvel over the past few years. We see them condescend, pander, and belittle people about what they read, what they don't read, and what they expect out of the comics. When they give us change that we hate, they tell us we need to get with it.
Why change the characters? They've worked as is for 50 years, in some cases! Changing the world in which they live, changing the cast, changing their suits and teams....those can be dealt with. BUT, when Peter Parker is rich, globe-trotting around the planet fighting clones, can they seriously NOT SEE what is wrong with this picture?!
I could go on all day on this topic but the gist of what all that talk would be, is, that the same people that argue or use the logic that Peter finally being able to use his intelligence to have his own company and profit on his inventions or tech gives him an easier life. Is somehow better for him than being married to a 'supermodel' because that makes his life easier. It's complete rubbish. Especially when one, the company is not something that Peter earned and two, classifying MJ as a 'supermodel' is wholly inaccurate. But hey, anything to downplay MJ and the marriage.

Quote:
I don't mind variant covers, it they matter, I don't mind. I don't think EVERY issue needs one, though! Even Renew Your Vows has had a variant almost every issue! First issues, major events, and Anniversary issues, I'm cool with. Blank variants, every 10 or 20 issues. I don't need to see another Hip Hop Variant for another 20 years, though. Or a Howard the Duck one. Or a Deadpool one (and I like DP).
I actually like variants as well. And my point earlier wasn't to condescend to the idea of variants themselves. I like having the option to buy a different cover than the standard version.

The problem I have is that, like you said, there doesn't need to be a variant cover for every single issue. And Marvel is clearly using these variants to boost sales even though the book itself couldn't pull that number just based on the writing. ASM #25 saw a huge boost in sales. That was because that issue featured several variant covers and most of them used characters that aren't even featured in the story, i.e. MJ and Felicia. Another peeve of mine.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #400
Spider-Gnome
Walloping Web-Snappers!

Quote:

The problem I have is that, like you said, there doesn't need to be a variant cover for every single issue. And Marvel is clearly using these variants to boost sales even though the book itself couldn't pull that number just based on the writing. ASM #25 saw a huge boost in sales. That was because that issue featured several variant covers and most of them used characters that aren't even featured in the story, i.e. MJ and Felicia. Another peeve of mine.
That and it cost $10.00!

Bryan Cranston for Norman Osborn/Green Goblin
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote