The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Are the screening responses a good sign for MOS?
Yes. 46 73.02%
No. 2 3.17%
I don't think they mean much. 15 23.81%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #251
misslane38
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgangamadeus View Post
I didn't have any issue with the primary portrayal of Kryptonian society. I thought the free will vs eugenics aspect was interesting as well. My problems with the krypton could've been fixed easily with a line from the council not believing Jor-El.'s conclusions. And reducing sub plots. A bit far too many things going on-- krypton's core, Zod's coup, Jor-El stealing the Codex etc. Which is why so much of MOS was just expository dialogue from scene to scene from either Russell Crowe or Michael Shannon explaining things.
It's the history -- rise and fall -- of an entire civilization. To echo the beaver from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (a fantasy story that, along with Lord of the Rings, also has what you would probably consider a lot "going on"), "It's the world dear, did you expect it to be small?" The problem with the Council is their dithering. In a society that has eroded free will and choice, they are incapable of making decisions. It's not about belief. People know or believe a lot of things in life, like how eating healthy and exercising can extend one's life, but people can be reluctant to change or stall in making decisions.

This version of the Superman mythology is exploring these themes and doing so in a relatively new way, and that's okay. YMMV.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #252
Wolfgangamadeus
Side-Kick

It's futile to sentence a prisoner when the planet won't exist. That's what I meant in my earlier post.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #253
misslane38
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgangamadeus View Post
It's futile to sentence a prisoner when the planet won't exist. That's what I meant in my earlier post.
No, it's not, at least not for the Council that is so rigid in its thinking that following law and tradition is the only thing it knows how to do. It's the only thing it has left. The Council is peopled with individuals bred to carry out and execute the law, so they will carry out their prime directive even to the very end of all things. Because that is their purpose.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #254
Wolfgangamadeus
Side-Kick

That's the bit I would've liked to have explained more of. Because it wasn't really clear to all to a lot of people. I'm still iffy about the reasoning--not sure if I completely buy it still but it's something.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #255
GothamBat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
No, it's not, at least not for the Council that is so rigid in its thinking that following law and tradition is the only thing it knows how to do. It's the only thing it has left. The Council is peopled with individuals bred to carry out and execute the law, so they will carry out their prime directive even to the very end of all things. Because that is their purpose.
plus, even if it's not super apparent, a decent amount of time did pass between Zod's trial and Krypton's destruction (I'm pretty sure)

GothamBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #256
MydnightPhoenix
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamBat View Post
plus, even if it's not super apparent, a decent amount of time did pass between Zod's trial and Krypton's destruction (I'm pretty sure)
I'm sure as well but I will admit the movie made it seem like Lara went home changed and the apocalypse happened.
I also think that some time passed between Zod's arrest and being sent to PZ.

1. Batman v Superman 2. The Winter Soldier 3. Avengers
4. Batman Begins 5. Ironman

MydnightPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #257
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MydnightPhoenix View Post
I'm sure as well but I will admit the movie made it seem like Lara went home changed and the apocalypse happened.
I also think that some time passed between Zod's arrest and being sent to PZ.
Maybe that's one negative I'll say against the film. Sometimes the editing with the cuts makes it seem like hardly anytime passes. I think this was most evident in the scene after he kills Zod. That should have had been a fade to black and then the next scene IMO.

#TEAM SNYDER
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote