The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man: Homecoming

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #226
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Default Re: Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

They never really learn over there at Sony, do they?

Just leave the Spider-Man universe in the hands of Marvel Studios and let the cash roll in, please!

Is Venom even as popular nowadays as he was in the '90s and '00s? I rarely see Venom suggested for films, games etcetera as much as before. It's like he's a product of the past who doesn't hold up as much now. I don't think the character recognition will be enough to attract people. I mean, I like Venom, but he's definitely not solo film material.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #227
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Default Re: Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Is Venom even as popular nowadays as he was in the '90s and '00s? I rarely see Venom suggested for films, games etcetera as much as before. It's like he's a product of the past who doesn't hold up as much now. I don't think the character recognition will be enough to attract people. I mean, I like Venom, but he's definitely not solo film material.
See, I'd almost find that more applicable to Carnage than Venom, but hasn't Venom apparently found new life in that Agent Venom series with Flash Thompson having the symbiote?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #228
venom892
Coming Home

Eddie is actually getting the suit back in an upcoming storyline. I think SM3 hampered a lot of people's excitement for a Venom adaptation. However the comic books still sell enough to not be cancelled and He is often one of the most requested characters in video games like Marvel vs. Capcom.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #229
Shockdingo
Symbiote luvin' loon

Quote:
You still have some of us Brock fans around, but he's getting a huge promotion this year.

-He just wrapped up being in Gerry Conway's Carnage series and just last week showed up in the Venom comic book

-He's getting his original symbiote and taking over the monthly series

-He's going to be starring in Edge of Venomverse

-there's a crap-ton of symbiote alternate covers coming

-He's still getting merch as Venom and Anti-Venom

-I think they had or are having a symbiote-centric event in Spider-man Unlimited on mobile.

-Also unconfirmed to be Brock, but Venom is the second villain that's been confirmed as being in the New Spider-man cartoon coming soon.

While he's not as big as he was in the 90s, there's still enough demand for him that in the books, merch and movie side they're trying to give him a push.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoscop View Post
I wonder who the villain of Venom will be? Maybe it'll be like Ultimate Eddiewhere he's haunted by the Symbiote & has to eat other people in order to stop the suit from eating him.
I don't want that angle at all. As nuts as Eddie is, I want them to have some of the buried sympathy or at least humanity to him. Having him be a giant blob monster that eats people would be a harder sell. (Plus I don't like much of anything from Ultimate Brock. Pull from the 616 stuff for the love of all that's holy). Also, costume, prosthetics + minor cgi. I want classic Brock; no giant, 8 foot tall blob monster.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #230
legendkillin
Side-Kick

Quote:

Just leave the Spider-Man universe in the hands of Marvel Studios and let the cash roll in, please!

I think Venom is popular but he would not be able to carry a movie in this position. He requires Spider-Man setting him up in a movie and with no Spider-Man this is a bad idea.
He is not funny like Deadpool and does not have the history of Logan. I just don't see how this will work in anyway. Sony just wants to keep their name involved. They know Marvel will get the credit if HC turns out well.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #231
JOE

Venom can definitely carry a movie without Spider-Man, as long as he goes up against Carnage.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #232
harryoscop
I still believe in Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
You still have some of us Brock fans around, but he's getting a huge promotion this year.

-He just wrapped up being in Gerry Conway's Carnage series and just last week showed up in the Venom comic book

-He's getting his original symbiote and taking over the monthly series

-He's going to be starring in Edge of Venomverse

-there's a crap-ton of symbiote alternate covers coming

-He's still getting merch as Venom and Anti-Venom

-I think they had or are having a symbiote-centric event in Spider-man Unlimited on mobile.

-Also unconfirmed to be Brock, but Venom is the second villain that's been confirmed as being in the New Spider-man cartoon coming soon.

While he's not as big as he was in the 90s, there's still enough demand for him that in the books, merch and movie side they're trying to give him a push.

I don't want that angle at all. As nuts as Eddie is, I want them to have some of the buried sympathy or at least humanity to him. Having him be a giant blob monster that eats people would be a harder sell. (Plus I don't like much of anything from Ultimate Brock. Pull from the 616 stuff for the love of all that's holy). Also, costume, prosthetics + minor cgi. I want classic Brock; no giant, 8 foot tall blob monster.
To each their own. I always preferred hulking monster Venom over skinny Mcfarlane Venom.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #233
Bearzooka
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoscop View Post
To each their own. I always preferred hulking monster Venom over skinny Mcfarlane Venom.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #234
SkullDevil
The White Portuguese

If that's a skinny Venom, then we're all anorexic.

You have won many victories, rekindling hope in the hearts of those you have protected. Each sends their blessing. Each blessing, a stone to fortify this land. Your castle is strong, my son. Your allies are many. Wield what lies within, and reclaim what is yours. Break the siege of darkness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Their primal need to argue outweighs their ability to acknowledge that they're actually agreeing with each other
Old 03-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #235
harryoscop

My bad, I meant Romita Jr's human-sized Venom:

Old 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #236
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:

Learning implies intelligence. There is none.

It seems apparent to me this is Sony once again attempting to cash in on a current trend. This time it's the R-rated CB movie trend.

Cause they were so successful when they tried to copy the dark and gritty trend or when they tried to copy the universe building trend. Yep, those turned out great.

Last edited by UltimateWebhead; 03-20-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #237
Shockdingo
Symbiote luvin' loon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
Venom can definitely carry a movie without Spider-Man, as long as he goes up against Carnage.
I don't really think that would work.

A couple issues:

-Originwise, without Spider-man, how do you explain the powers, the look, the motivation?

-Without Spidey being the object of hatred for Venom, you lose out of the impact of Brock putting his money where his mouth is. He hates nothing more than Spider-man, so working with him to take down Carnage speaks volumes. It shows that he truly does care about protecting the innocents if he's willing to work with the man he considers the worst to bring down a monster.

-They want to build up a franchise, relying soley on Carnage won't get him very far. Developing Venom alongside Spidey takes care of some of the heavy lifting with world building. You don't want the Venom movie to exist in a vacuum in such a way, that the audience feels it; you don't want them to stay vague on EVERYTHING so as not to reference Spidey, the Daily Bugle, Sin Eater, etc.

If you leave out Spidey or even references to him, there' s no real point in doing Venom. You get the connections first and then you can go on an play: Carnage in either the first or second movie, Life Foundation hiding in the shadows of the first movie and become the villains in the second, have the Jury in the 3rd movie to show the repercussions of his actions and show that his past coming to haunt him no matter how much progress as a hero he's made.

I honestly don't want them switching hosts in the movies till later. The audience is investing in the character and seeing him be built up, jumping to Flash or Scorpion in the 2nd movie is abrupt and problematic, unless Brock sticks around and it's in the plot, but even then, it brings the question of who's gonna wear the suit in future films.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
This time it's the R-rated CB movie trend.

Cause they were so successful when they tried to copy the dark and gritty trend or when they tried to copy the universe building trend. Yep, those turned out great.
Agreed. I haven't seen Logan yet, but people have said that the R-rating wasn't just an excuse for violence, but it allowed the story tellers to delve into more profound and human moments. It's like getting a Max title and being able to tackle more adult concepts instead of just using more profanity, violence and showing boobs here or there.

An R-rated Venom film shouldn't be a splatter fest only. Have some violence, go a bit far, but temper that with explorations into Brock's soul, his clashes with his faith, the distance he has from his wife and father, his contradictory nature of wanting to be a hero but being a bloody murderer . Heck, I brought this up a few months ago, there is a concept that NO Writer has ever delved into:

-Eddie has all of Peter's memories, and no doubt knows and can understand May's love for Peter like no one else alive. Eddie always had a sweet spot for May, not even just when he was planning to get close to ambush Pete, but his liking of May was always genuine back in the day and when he became Anti-Venom. I always thought that, due to losing his mother upon his birth he, armed with Pete's memories, felt a kinship with May and maybe even a bit of an obsession with her. The only motherly figure he knew was Carl Brock's house keeper and she could only do so much.

Delving into the heart of an anti-hero and playing with the subject matter, maybe even being subversive and self-aware can be interesting.

Also, people forget that Brock was a wise cracker also; Deadpool is zany, Spidey was chatterbox zingers, and Brock was gallows humour mixed with quite a bit of singing. He doesn't have to be Deadpool, but the movies don't have to be total grim and serious affairs. Little things to break up the levity like this image could be kind of fun:

Last edited by Shockdingo; 03-20-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #238
harryoscop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
I don't really think that would work.

A couple issues:

-Originwise, without Spider-man, how do you explain the powers, the look, the motivation?

-Without Spidey being the object of hatred for Venom, you lose out of the impact of Brock putting his money where his mouth is. He hates nothing more than Spider-man, so working with him to take down Carnage speaks volumes. It shows that he truly does care about protecting the innocents if he's willing to work with the man he considers the worst to bring down a monster.

-They want to build up a franchise, relying soley on Carnage won't get him very far. Developing Venom alongside Spidey takes care of some of the heavy lifting with world building. You don't want the Venom movie to exist in a vacuum in such a way, that the audience feels it; you don't want them to stay vague on EVERYTHING so as not to reference Spidey, the Daily Bugle, Sin Eater, etc.

If you leave out Spidey or even references to him, there' s no real point in doing Venom. You get the connections first and then you can go on an play: Carnage in either the first or second movie, Life Foundation hiding in the shadows of the first movie and become the villains in the second, have the Jury in the 3rd movie to show the repercussions of his actions and show that his past coming to haunt him no matter how much progress as a hero he's made.

I honestly don't want them switching hosts in the movies till later. The audience is investing in the character and seeing him be built up, jumping to Flash or Scorpion in the 2nd movie is abrupt and problematic, unless Brock sticks around and it's in the plot, but even then, it brings the question of who's gonna wear the suit in future films.

edit:
Which is why he'll be in Venom. Just not played by Tom

Old 03-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #239
UltimateMarvel
Stop right there. I'm in.

I hope they get the best elements from 616 Venom and Ultimate Venom.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #240
harryoscop

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateMarvel View Post
I hope they get the best elements from 616 Venom and Ultimate Venom.

Agreed. Ultimate has my favorite Venom design

Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #241
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

I really dig the Ultimate Venom design in every aspect except the purple tint

Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #242
PeterBenParker
Wallopin' Websnappers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
I really dig the Ultimate Venom design in every aspect except the purple tint
I like the blue tint myself.

You're more "angry back alley" than "friendly neighborhood".
Long live the Raimi trilogy, Webb duology and The Spectacular Spider-Man!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #243
UltimateMarvel
Stop right there. I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBenParker View Post
I like the blue tint myself.
Same.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #244
MOVIELORD101
Dead Men Tell No Tales...

Btw, Marvel's apparently doing some Spider-Man variant covers centered around Mary-Jane in June. Yet no word on the character showing up in Homecoming. Hmmm....

Old 03-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #245
SkullDevil
The White Portuguese

Either Mary Jane ain't in Homecoming or Zendaya is secretly playing her.

Only one of those is gonna turn out to be right.

You have won many victories, rekindling hope in the hearts of those you have protected. Each sends their blessing. Each blessing, a stone to fortify this land. Your castle is strong, my son. Your allies are many. Wield what lies within, and reclaim what is yours. Break the siege of darkness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Their primal need to argue outweighs their ability to acknowledge that they're actually agreeing with each other
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #246
SuperSanchez
I'm Not Mexican

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullDevil View Post
Either Mary Jane ain't in Homecoming or Zendaya is secretly playing her.

Only one of those is gonna turn out to be right.
What if they swapped her gender and Ned is actually Mary Jane?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #247
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVIELORD101 View Post
Btw, Marvel's apparently doing some Spider-Man variant covers centered around Mary-Jane in June. Yet no word on the character showing up in Homecoming. Hmmm....
Eh, MJ on the cover really doesn't infer anything about Homecoming. Marvel's been using MJ on the cover of their comics for awhile now to boost sales. For example, ASM #25 that just came out on last Wednesday has a bunch of variant covers that feature MJ on the cover however she's nowhere to be found in the book. She's actually still currently in Invincible Iron Man. But MJ on the cover means money. ASM 25 made #6 on the sales list for the week which is pretty good considering the title hasn't been in the top ten for weeks or maybe months. Marvel likes using gimmicks to sell comics instead of utilizing good stories or writing. Hmmm, just like Sony.

That said, according to reports, MJ and other classic characters will be returning to both ASM and the new Spectacular Spider-Man comic series around the time Homecoming releases.

They did the same thing when ASM hit theaters back in 2012. Doc Ock was in Spider-Man's body aka Superior Spiderman, but that series ended conveniently just in time for the movie release and Peter got his body back.

Last edited by UltimateWebhead; 03-20-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #248
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSanchez View Post
Michael B Jordan be jealous.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #249
Spidey_62
#1 Jar Jar Binks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Eh, MJ on the cover really doesn't infer anything about Homecoming. Marvel's been using MJ on the cover of their comics for awhile now to boost sales. For example, ASM #25 that just came out on last Wednesday has a bunch of variant covers that feature MJ on the cover however she's nowhere to be found in the book. She's actually still currently in Invincible Iron Man. But MJ on the cover means money. ASM 25 made #6 on the sales list for the week which is pretty good considering the title hasn't been in the top ten for weeks or maybe months.

That said, according to reports, MJ and other classic characters will be returning to both ASM and the new Spectacular Spider-Man comic series around the time Homecoming releases.
Mary Jane on every cover means $$$$$. I especially like the Punisher one with Mephisto, that is hilarious. http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ariant-covers/

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, frog-face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram.

RadicalRealmComics.com - read the comic books I draw!

Watch Lost in the Shadows - based on The Spirit of the Shadows comic book!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #250
SpideyJJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSanchez View Post
Marvel/Disney would be praised for being 'progressive'

Closed Thread