Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Batman

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #326
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Default Re: Matt Reeves To Direct The Upcoming Batman Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
I want to see Robin. I'm doubtful it'll happen but I'm pretty tired of the Batman solo thing. He was never much of a loner in the comics anyway since Robin came along a year later. Robin would inject a sense of fun these movies and the character really needs, especially after LEGO Batman showed us that.

But the script being re-written is a damn good start. Get Deathstroke the **** out of there. He seems like a result of the current DCEU model of trying to be cool and edgy. Swords are cool and he reminds people of Deadpool!
DC have been pushing Deathstroke long before the DCEU.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #327
Doctor Jones
No One

Manganiello is such a Snyder choice. In the pantheon of great actors playing Batman villains we get... Joe Manganiello as Deathstroke.

Now the guy like anybody else is an actor and just wants to branch out and not just play beef cake roles, but I'm knocking the decision making of the studio and where their heads are at. Nothing about Deathstroke seems right for it.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #328
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Quote:
Manganiello is such a Snyder choice. In the pantheon of great actors playing Batman villains we get... Joe Manganiello as Deathstroke.

Now the guy like anybody else is an actor and just wants to branch out and not just play beef cake roles, but I'm knocking the decision making of the studio and where their heads are at. Nothing about Deathstroke seems right for it.
I don't like the casting too, and Deathstroke is not my first choice as a villain either. A good detective story, taking a villain that was badly used before like Mr. Freeze or Riddler and doing a better job with them, or using new villains like the Court of Owls are what I would like to see. After Arkham Knight, I wouldn't mind a good Scarecrow story either.

That said, it is possible that them using Deathstroke isn't as random as you may think. Batman in the DCEU has gone down a dark path. Deathstroke could be used to provide a comparison with him, showing us what Batman could have possibly become. He is used as a darker version of characters like Batman and Nightwing in the comics too. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if he is just based on the Arkham games version of the character, and is only there for fights.

Last edited by Slade W; 03-20-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #329
Chip Chipperson
Thanos 3:16

Manganiello has been in play for a while now

If I remember correctly, the only reason Joe wasn't cast as Clark in MOS was because of scheduling conflicts.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #330
Jekecy
Side-Kick

I don't buy it. Cavill and him side-by-side, it's so obvious who's most naturally fit for the part. If Cavill somehow had other obligations, than I can see Joe as a backup.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #331
Johnny Frost
Side-Kick

Manganiello was rumored to be playing Deathstroke in Suicide Sqaud

He worked with Ayer in Sabotage

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Joe-M...ils-70258.html

Old 03-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #332
Question
The White Wolf

Deathstroke isn't really the kind of guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. You don't really need someone with Oscar-winning talent as long as they can convincingly play a cold, calculating one-man army.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:54 AM   #333
idiot09
Kicks side

Quote:

This is BS. I mean we have such a beefcake like Jesse Eisenberg playing Lex Luthor right

And I would guess it was Ben Affleck that casted him, because you know... it was his movie.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #334
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

If JM isnt sure if he'll be deathstroke, i wonder what happens to his rumored JL scene.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #335
matt47
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
If JM isnt sure if he'll be deathstroke, i wonder what happens to his rumored JL scene.
I'd be fine n dandy about them scrapping it.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #336
Omegabat
Side-Kick

J.K Simmons isn't sure either unless now we think Gordon is also being written out. Joe was just being coy, he obviously isn't going to go around hyping stuff now that there is a new director on board. Besides I doubt Reeves would start making huge decisions regarding story and casting at this point and Deathstroke is a character that like Harley WB has been pushing for a while so its not just some Affleck/Johns choice. I still think Deathstroke will be the villain, Reeves knows that he's working as part of a shared universe.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #337
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
Deathstroke isn't really the kind of guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. You don't really need someone with Oscar-winning talent as long as they can convincingly play a cold, calculating one-man army.
Exactly, you don't need Daniel Day Lewis to play Deathstroke, Joe is capable enough to take the role on and do well with it. Plus if he is still in the movie he will be directed by Matt Reeves, who has had some pretty damn good performances in his movies.

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-10(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(11)John Wick 2-8(12)Split-8(13)Kingsman: The Golden Circle-8(14)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(15)Justice League-7(16)Alien Covenant-7(17)Ghost In The Shell-7(18)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(19)The Dark Tower-4(20)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
Old 03-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #338
idiot09
Kicks side

And he doesnt need to be the main villain either.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #339
Omegabat
Side-Kick

Batman news is claiming that the original script was a detective story. It would be pretty funny and ironic if Reeves picked some other villain and directed an action blockbuster.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #340
idiot09
Kicks side

Ben always said he wanted to do a detective story and likened it to Maltese Falcon.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #341
Chip Chipperson
Thanos 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegabat View Post
Batman news is claiming that the original script was a detective story. It would be pretty funny and ironic if Reeves picked some other villain and directed an action blockbuster.
oh man, I really hope they don't stray too far away from Ben's original idea if that is truly the case. A personal detective story is the way to go here.

Could totally see WB not liking the script because of its low stakes in relation to the overall universe. I don't need another "Batman has to save the city" story.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #342
Question
The White Wolf

If true, I really want Reeves to keep it a detective story as well. I also wonder just how much the script is being rewritten.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #343
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot09 View Post
And he doesnt need to be the main villain either.
Exactly. Even if he is though I think he is very capable.

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-10(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(11)John Wick 2-8(12)Split-8(13)Kingsman: The Golden Circle-8(14)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(15)Justice League-7(16)Alien Covenant-7(17)Ghost In The Shell-7(18)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(19)The Dark Tower-4(20)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
Old 03-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #344
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
J.K Simmons isn't sure either unless now we think Gordon is also being written out. Joe was just being coy, he obviously isn't going to go around hyping stuff now that there is a new director on board. Besides I doubt Reeves would start making huge decisions regarding story and casting at this point and Deathstroke is a character that like Harley WB has been pushing for a while so its not just some Affleck/Johns choice. I still think Deathstroke will be the villain, Reeves knows that he's working as part of a shared universe.
Unless they remove his part i doubt Simmons is going anywhere

Old 03-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #345
Gallops
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've heard they are doing a complete script overhaul and redoing all of it.

Could mean new story and new villain...

Maybe a Death in the Family Story?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #346
thebatfan5194
Side-Kick

I still think Deathstroke will be in the movie but it's just a matter of the size of his role. Maybe he'll be reduced to a "muscle" type of role for whoever Matt Reeves decides to be the main villain in the rewrite.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #347
thebatfan5194
Side-Kick

Quote:
TPTB have to know that a detective story is what the fans really want. I would hope that they wouldn't get rid of that element. With that said, I don't know how Deathstroke really lends himself to a detective style story, but hey, maybe that's why they were having trouble with the script in the first place.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #348
idiot09
Kicks side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
oh man, I really hope they don't stray too far away from Ben's original idea if that is truly the case. A personal detective story is the way to go here.

Could totally see WB not liking the script because of its low stakes in relation to the overall universe. I don't need another "Batman has to save the city" story.
I thought people were saying Reeves has a say on the whole thing now? I hope he keeps the detective story aspect that Ben was talking about

Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 PM   #349
idiot09
Kicks side

Deathstroke being "just muscle" is terribly underrating the character. From what Joe said, he knows that as well so I'm glad.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 AM   #350
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Manganiello has been in play for a while now

If I remember correctly, the only reason Joe wasn't cast as Clark in MOS was because of scheduling conflicts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
I don't buy it. Cavill and him side-by-side, it's so obvious who's most naturally fit for the part. If Cavill somehow had other obligations, than I can see Joe as a backup.
Chips's right. JM was going to screentest for MoS. He'd had a conversation or two with Snyder, who outlined the movie for him (and JM loved it). But before screentesting, the studio makes the actors sign a preliminary contract stating they'll be ready and available for shooting between X and Y dates. He took it to the True Blood producers, who said they couldn't work their own schedule around that. So he had to drop out. He said this all in an interview not too long after Cavill was cast.

Even in an interview or two in the run up to MoS, Snyder pointed out that he really liked JM for it.

Closed Thread