3 2 1.64%
2 1 0.82%
1 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #251
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

Default Re: Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread! - Part 3

Yeah, i'm not really noticing anything outwardly stupid from IM3....except Happy not knowing how to use an iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #252
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

Giving Pepper Extremis. That was stupid.

A suit that comes in pieces. Pointless.

Rhodey was criminally underused.

InternetPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #253
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

Not really

You realize in the comics Tony's Extremis armor comes in pieces, yes?

Rhodey had more to do in IM3 than in the other two.

Quote:
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:35 PM   #254
Victarion
Iron Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetPeople View Post
Giving Pepper Extremis. That was stupid.

A suit that comes in pieces. Pointless.

Rhodey was criminally underused.
Remind me of why the Mandarin gave Pepper Extremis. Its been a while since I saw the movie. I don't think Tony knew the suit in pieces was pointless. Rhodey's screen time had far more quality in this one than in the prior two. Quality > quantity.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #255
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

To repay Tony for the gift he gave Aldrich, which was desperation...and also to basically hurt Tony by having the love of his life blow up.

Quote:
Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 AM   #256
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Not really

You realize in the comics Tony's Extremis armor comes in pieces, yes?

Rhodey had more to do in IM3 than in the other two.
Rhodey didn't do **** in IM3. He showed up, got captured, gave up the armor, got knocked out, did some impossible gymnastics to rescue the President and flew away. He was pointless. His armor was worthless. If they cut out Rhodey from the entire film he wouldn't be missed.

Just because something happens in the comics does not mean it should be adapted to the screen. Explain how having your armor coming in pieces is more effective than having the whole armor show up. The only time in the film the armor being in pieces worked was when Tony was dragged underwater, which only the gauntlet needed to detach. The other time Tony needed his armor to show up he only got a gauntlet and a boot. He's lucky it wasn't the shoulder and crotch piece that showed up. There is no reason for the body to come apart other than to look cool. The armor being in multiple pieces is illogical and unnecessary. (All that doesn't even begin to address the actual design of each individual piece needing it's own GPS, rocket boost and power source.)

Killian could give Pepper Extremis for whatever reason he wants but the end result would be Pepper dies or Pepper gets superpowers. Neither of those outcomes are good for Killian so I didn't get the point. This also led to the awful scene of Pepper doing flying karate chops and needing to blowup Killian's face because he didn't die the first time only for her to exclaim "That was really violent!" while I exclaimed "That was really dumb!" Then the voiceover of Tony saying something like "It took some tinkering but I got Pepper straightened out." Yep, just like that. All fixed. Easy .

To me, the film really fell apart after Tony's house got destroyed. His suit ran out of batteries (even though it can't because arc reactor). The file from the soldier's mother in the bar was too convenient. The fight between Tony and the Extremis chick should have been Tony v. Savin. The Air Force One fight needed to last a bit longer (really, Savin was cool but was killed off too easily. One shot through the chest and done.) Rhodey really needed his own baddie to fight to give him something to do.

The thing that was well executed that gets the most hate was the "Mandarin Twist" though when you actually think about it, Killian pulled it off perfectly. He essentially made Osama Bin Laden and was trying to sell the weapons to go fight him. It was perfect. If you want to control both sides of the war, which was Killian's goal, this is how you would do it.

I own and have watched each MCU film many, many times and while I have both small and large critiques to all of them, I have more problems with the story of IM3 than any other film and I am surprised people don't have more problems with this film and yet skewer others. While I don't think the film is bad I think it is in the bottom third with Incredible Hulk and The Dark World.

InternetPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #257
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
Can you be more specific? Everything made sense in the context of the script.
Yep. Sorry for taking so long, I kept meaning to get back to you.

Tip of the iceberg:

A piece of Tony’s weak, faulty Mark 42 armor took the head off of the Mark 4 armor simply by flying around the room and then crashing into it. That suit was an upgrade of the Mark 3 which withstood a direct hit from a tank...but a flying piece of armor decapitates it.

Tony’s has a wound on his face from the flying armor during the Mark 42 testing scene which magically disappears when he and Rhodes meet at the restaurant but then reappears and stays for almost the entire duration of the movie.

The kids at the restaurant where Tony meets Rhodes look younger than Harley but they know who Stark/Iron Man is. However, Harley is all, “Duhh…what’s that on your chest? You take care of Iron Man? Like a mechanic?”

We’ve seen that Tony is able to suit up in the Mark 7 very quickly. He even uses it earlier in the movie to go meet Rhodes…why does he opt for the unreliable and fragile Mark 42 when he’s concerned about a stranger seeking entry into his home? It’s not like he made any major improvements in the suit since we first saw it, that thing breaks down throughout the entire movie. Any one of his classic seven armors (except perhaps the Mark 1) would have been able to take care of those helicopters, thus saving his home, his tech, and his giant bunny.

Tony’s classic seven suits explode in perfect sequence yet we are supposed to believe that it’s the result of a missile strike.

It’s established that Tony doesn’t remember meeting Yinsen, yet the movie opens with a flashback of Tony remembering and narrating said meeting. Also, when Happy asks, “Where were we in ’99? Switzerland?” Tony answers in the affirmative like he suddenly remembers all about it.

The Extremis-powered villains shut down Tony and Rhodes’ entire suits simply by touching them with extremely (no pun intended) hot hands/fists. Why? I can buy that AIM jiggerybuggered Rhodes’ suit to react that way when they were spray painting it or whatever, but what’s with that happening to each suit Tony brings against them?

There's more. Do you need more? lol

I can accept anything in a movie if it's explained well, but this movie has huge glaring continuity/logic issues within its own universe as well as
within the universe of the other movies which feature Iron Man which make some people including myself scratch their heads and go, "Who wrote this?"

giveyourself12% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #258
Havok83
Side-Kick

If the poll was still open, Id give it a 6. I decided to watch bc its the only MCU I havent seen since Avengers and am not impressed. In fact none of the IM films have been great. This just happened to be the worse

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:05 AM   #259
Spock
Banned User

The first IM was awesome! The second one was decent. Third? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:09 AM   #260
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Yeah, i'm not really noticing anything outwardly stupid from IM3....except Happy not knowing how to use an iPad.
I thought he did good.

Something stupid in Iron Man 3....
Nothing comes to mind.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #261
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

I get way people were not fond of IM3, was it a great movie, no, kind of felt Shane Black tried to hard to make a lethal weapon sequel using Tony and Rhodey, but I enjoyed it, up till the twist, Mandarin was bada$$, and when it shows up on FX I watch it, it just was not much of a satisfactory end to a franchise, with no real pay off on his arch nemesis.

www.advancediron.org -The Ultimate Iron Man Website.
Ironfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #262
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

My girl doesn't care for superheroes, Iron Man in particular, but says this is one of her favorite superhero movies. I've since introduced her to more Shane Black films and now she's a huge fan. Not sure where I'd personally rank it (mid-tier to upper-mid tier MCU), but she says its in her top 5 favorite superhero films.

Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:29 AM   #263
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

Outside of Mandarin being utterly wasted, this movie hit the mark. I just watched it again recently, and it featured more genuinely emotional subplots and moments that most CBMs. It compensated well for being light in action with strong character development.

There's one glaring plot hole as the movie builds to a crescendo. I still firmly believe that Captain America should have emerged in an effort to save President Ellis. I realize that Marvel can't use the Deus Ex Machina approach with their team in individual movies, but with "Mandarin" threatening the POTUS multiple times on TV, it's hard to imagine the Sentinel of Liberty having more pressing business.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #264
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
My girl doesn't care for superheroes, Iron Man in particular, but says this is one of her favorite superhero movies. I've since introduced her to more Shane Black films and now she's a huge fan. Not sure where I'd personally rank it (mid-tier to upper-mid tier MCU), but she says its in her top 5 favorite superhero films.
She's a keeper, man!!

Iron Man 3 is my absolute favorite Marvel Studios movie, and one of my favorite comic book adaptations. And Shane Black is one of my favorite writer-directors. Such a great and unique voice in the business. He just has a knack for storytelling and characters.

Quote:
I get way people were not fond of IM3, was it a great movie
Oh hell yeah, it is!

-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote